Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Here in Croatia we have a redeeming baroque work, an epic poem composed by one of the most renowned poets. Here's a quick attempt at translation:

O Muse, prepare to sing
about a huge poo poo.
Worry not about staining
y'rself for the stinky deed
covers everything under the sun.
You're full of poo poo, lovely prince!

lovely are your words,
lovely are your deeds,
your nose is full of poo poo,
poo poo assaults you from all sides,
feeding your lovely mouth.

Your entire body made of poo poo,
what you do described as poo poo,
in your pants a stinky poo poo
hangin' instead of the little bell,
you odorous expression of the tail.

So infamous your vapours,
so fetid your behind,
like a Župa donkey
full of fresh grass farting...

This goes on for another several dozen stanzas. It is awesome and my bad translation can't do it justice.

this sounds rad, what’s the authors name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

ulvir posted:

this sounds rad, what’s the authors name?

Junije Palmotić. The poem is named Gomnijada

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

I was assigned three books in all of high school: To Kill a Mockingbird, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, and The Kite Runner.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
The Scarlet Letter was reserved for 'summer reading' before the first year of high school for me; when you arrived as a freshman there was a quiz to see if you read it, then it was never mentioned again. Besides some in-class 'discussions' this was pretty much how every other book was approached in my honors-track classes, which included The Jungle (just the first part), Gatsby, Grapes of Wrath, Their Eyes were watching God, and catch-22. Not a bad selection of texts that really could lend themselves to critical discussions of labor, class, race, capitalism, and government, but it was mostly cut down to a "read and quiz" format that even good students quickly found out how to exploit, meaning nobody delved any further into the books beyond "oh, the turtle. it is a symbol... for struggle."

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I only remember To Kill A Mockingbird, Of Mice and Men, Romeo and Juliet and The Yellow Wallpaper. I only liked the first two The other two I was too young and dumb to appreciate. But yeah we didn't even read The Scarlet Letter in school. I read it long after I graduated.

Anyway, thanks for the input everyone. I have another question though.

I mentioned I got all of Poe's works off Audible. They don't seem to be in any real order as far as I can tell and it's 48 hours worth of content. Any recs on where to begin?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
the murders in the rue morgue is a thread favorite

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

the sphinx is notable for having stolen its premise from a father ted joke

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

theres a lot of poe thats basically completely fine (purloined letter, cask of amontillado, fall of the house of usher etc etc) but he only ever wrote 2 good things, the narrative of arthur gordon pym of nantucket and never bet the devil your head

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

cda posted:

I think it is probably absolutely necessary, in the service of producing strong readers, that certain books will be sacrificed at the altar of children too young to really understand or appreciate them. Because The Scarlet Letter not only provides clear examples of an important literary technique (symbolism) but also provides a wealth of well-organized detail about an important period in American history while focusing on a woman's experience, it is an especially useful teaching text. Like you said, this means most people encounter it in high school when they are not ready for it; it is a deeply human book which resonates more and more as one experiences the kind of painful complexities it carefully illuminates. Not that every high school student doesn't get it, but a lot of them (myself included) just need to Live a Little before it'll really start to hit home. All of the fireworks are in Hawthorne's expositions of subtle mental and emotional states. In the absence of a central sympathy based on lived experience, The Scarlet Letter is incredibly dull; very little happens, what happens, happens very slowly, and on its face the tragedy appears incredibly dumb and totally avoidable.

Also I think for a lot of younger readers, early novels can be a major stylistic shock. Hawthorne and his contemporaries used the passive voice a lot more than modern writers, which I think accentuates that sense of dullness. For someone who's not very engaged anyway, those kinds of breaks with modern convention may just seem like bad writing.

When I read the Scarlet Letter I didn't hate it, but I definitely remember being bored by it. The main take I remember was "Yeah duh religion is dumb as hell, did you really need 300 pages just to say that :confused:

However later as an adult read "Young Goodman Brown" and "The Minister's Black Veil" and was shocked, shocked that they were good as hell. I'd probably appreciate the Scarlet Letter a lot more if I reread it again. Actually I should probably just go ahead and read The House of the Seven Gables since I've been meaning to do that for a while.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

NikkolasKing posted:

I mentioned I got all of Poe's works off Audible. They don't seem to be in any real order as far as I can tell and it's 48 hours worth of content. Any recs on where to begin?

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Just finished some Jon Fosse and about to get to Knausgaard #5.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Fosse owns

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

ulvir posted:

Fosse owns

I've been really enjoying his stuff, however, I can't imagine it in any other written form than nynorsk. How is it in English? His use of melody and rhythm in the language is so linked with nynorsk!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I dunno, I only read him in nynorsk myself, but his prose is always deceptively simple so it might work well in translation

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
simple prose is often much more tricky to translate

either way, it's a misconception that any factor intrinsically lends itself well or not well for translation. it's entirely dependent on who's doing the work and the reader's taste. you know, like any literary piece

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I think even accounting for the differences in Germanic/Latinate vocabulary you should be able to capture the rhythm of Norwegian in English easily enough

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

Ras Het posted:

I think even accounting for the differences in Germanic/Latinate vocabulary you should be able to capture the rhythm of Norwegian in English easily enough

Except that there's 500 dialects plus the two different written languages. As someone that learned Norwegian (it's not my mother tongue by a long shot), Fosse's writing is quite special in that sense as it's the specific rhythm of his part of Norway, not the Norwegian language in general.

But I digress... I do know that his writing has gotten a lot of attention outside of Scandinavia and translated into English. Most of what I've read is Trilogien (Trilogy) and some of his poems. I recently got five of his theater plays which I'm looking forward to read. I'll probably try to get something from him in English out of curiosity, and since it's my preferred language anyways.

abske_fides fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 17, 2019

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I know but it's things like word order, the length and weight of sentences, how verbs behave wrt subjects and objects etc. that matter in translation, and any Scandinavian dialect will square with English better on those than practically any non Germanic or Latin language. I think the problem of how you capture dialectal vocabulary, on the other hand, is sort of universal in translation

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

found a collection of Mishima’s Noh plays at a flea market today, plus Soul Mountain

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

CestMoi posted:

blood of adonis is a nice collection in english. i also have a tiny trilingual copy of 'how can i call what is between us a past' in chinese, arabic and english which is really cool. there's also a more recent collection in english just called the poems of adonis which i haven't looked at but it's adonis so it's really good. his essays are also fantastic, introduction to arab poetics is an incredible introduction to something i assume you won't know much about if you're just now hearing of adonis and sufism & surrealism is also really really good

just wanted to repeat how true this is

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Just picked up Songs of Mihyar the Damascene and it's amazing, since we are talking about Adonis.

Gonna look for his essays next.

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
His book on Sufism and surrealism sounds fascinating.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
im reading nuruddin farah ama

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

im reading nuruddin farah ama

1. which book?
2. what do you think?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Karenina posted:

1. which book?
2. what do you think?

1. maps
2. its real good

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

textermination by christine brooke rose has pope hadrian vii giving a sermon praying that the reader will grant all the literary characters further life and then it gets cut short by a terrorist attack thwarted by the nonexistent knight. emma from emma is mad at emma bovary for being hotter than she is. people are very mad at phillip ii of spain for turning up to the event despite being a historical figure not a literary figure. there's a bunch of different virgils at varying states of decay

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

its an extremely gamemaster anthony book and it absolutely rips

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CestMoi posted:

a terrorist attack thwarted by the nonexistent knight

aww gently caress my favorite Calvino character?? I gotta get on this!

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

aww gently caress my favorite Calvino character?? I gotta get on this!

this bit was built up with all the characters from judeo-christian fiction 1800-present being in the first seminar and everyone was like 'whos this knight hes in the wrong place' and i was like 'thats the nonexistent knight for sure' and then it was revealed to be the nonexistent knight and i started hooting and hollering

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

textermination by christine brooke rose has pope hadrian vii giving a sermon praying that the reader will grant all the literary characters further life and then it gets cut short by a terrorist attack thwarted by the nonexistent knight. emma from emma is mad at emma bovary for being hotter than she is. people are very mad at phillip ii of spain for turning up to the event despite being a historical figure not a literary figure. there's a bunch of different virgils at varying states of decay

i'm glad that someone is out there referencing frederick rolfe.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Speaking of Norwegian writing, I'm about halfway through Sigrid Undsen's Kristin Lavransdatter and it is good as hell, just a 13th century Norwegian woman living her life

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Undset actually

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
fake name either way

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
I haven't read any actual literature for a while but I've been reading a lot of John Aubrey, a 17th century antiquarian who collected a bunch of folklore and weird stories from around England. here's a representative sample

quote:

Arise Evans had a fungous Nose, and said, it was reveal'd to him, that the King's Hand would Cure him: And at the first coming of King Charles II. into St. James's Park he Kiss'd the King's Hand, and rubb'd his Nose with it; which disturb'd the King, but Cured him.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

same. that's me

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Started Moby Dick tonight. Only three chapters in but it’s much funnier than I expected, Ishmael’s chatter about what he’s experience doesn’t feel dated at all to me. Granted he just hopped in the leaba with Queequeg so still quite early.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

EmmyOk posted:

Started Moby Dick tonight. Only three chapters in but it’s much funnier than I expected, Ishmael’s chatter about what he’s experience doesn’t feel dated at all to me. Granted he just hopped in the leaba with Queequeg so still quite early.

It's so good. I love the bit early on where he describes the two of them napping and chatting in bed.

Edit: drat your eyes, you made me start it again

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Akutagawa's The Nose is my favorite nose-related work of literature

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
mine is Tristram Shandy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

I haven't read any actual literature for a while but I've been reading a lot of John Aubrey, a 17th century antiquarian who collected a bunch of folklore and weird stories from around England. here's a representative sample

there's a bit in thomas nashe's 'the terrors of the night' where he uses the phrase 'a worm eaten nose'.