Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

So where did the cops get it in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Carthag Tuek posted:

nooo what are you doing, jonah hill

Normally I roll my eyes at these but holy hell that's bang on. Or its an "hey I found your real dad" situation.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

It's the only way he can defeat Mario.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Knormal posted:

It's the only way he can defeat Mario.

Isnt he the president of nintendo of america? It all makes sense now!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Aleph Null posted:

I heard Jared's was too salty, not too sweet.

lol nasty. I was going to say "how did you expect subway to lure appeal to kids" but I couldn't get it funny enough to justify the grossness.

Carthag Tuek posted:

nooo what are you doing, jonah hill

Jesus CHRIST

Milo and POTUS has a new favorite as of 00:36 on Oct 3, 2020

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Keystoned posted:

Isnt he the president of nintendo of america? It all makes sense now!

No, that's literally another person named Bowser. We're lousy with Bowsers over here.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Egypt unveils 59 ancient coffins in major archaeological find

2020 is not the year to be doing this.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Look if we just keep opening them at least one is guaranteed to be empty and we can put this cursed year into it, right

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Trying to find the one that has Hope inside.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
drat these plebeians; they don't burn worth a cent—pass out a King

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/timjhogan/status/1313135243470278657

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Damnit this guy's gonna make me indirectly defend Trump. This quote is half out of context (more experiences than just covid were discussed - the strength of those experiences compared to Biden's is its own issue that I don't need to preach to the choir for) and half flustered, pressed-for-time bad spokeswoman trying to make an assertion that "this time it's personal".

There are way more unambiguously valid attacks on Trump & co. than this, is what I'm saying, to the point where swinging on this pitch does more harm than good.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Sighence posted:

Damnit this guy's gonna make me indirectly defend Trump. This quote is half out of context (more experiences than just covid were discussed - the strength of those experiences compared to Biden's is its own issue that I don't need to preach to the choir for) and half flustered, pressed-for-time bad spokeswoman trying to make an assertion that "this time it's personal".

There are way more unambiguously valid attacks on Trump & co. than this, is what I'm saying, to the point where swinging on this pitch does more harm than good.

Trump is doing his best to put himself back in the hospital anyway.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

A Security Flaw Could Send Your Dick to Jail Forever

Supreme Court Declines To Hear Led Zeppelin

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm bummed about that latter one. The lawyer arguing against Zep is actually kind of great and had a fantastic point; basically Zeppelin won because the officially filed sheet music copy of Taurus doesn't include the instrumental opening elements or really any of the instrumental elements; it's a lead sheet with lyrics, vocal melody, and probably chords only. Led Zeppelin's lawyers argued that since the official documentation of the copyrighted material didn't include the intro it was effectively public domain. The lawyer then pulled out the same lead sheet for Stairway, plopped it down in front of Jimmy Page, asked him to identify where on that lead sheet the guitar solo was, and when he said it wasn't on there started arguing that Jimmy Page's guitar solo was also itself in the public domain.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I agree with your reasoning, but hearing the actual 2 recordings I would have found in favor of Zeppelin too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deVNnnuf24w&t=14s

The note progression is obviously the same, that's undeniable, but Page's focus is on the higher flourishes, coming back to the main notes, whereas the original is the main notes with very minimal flourishes.

Basically my argument would be to sing the guitar parts. You'd end up singing something closer to a bass line for Taurus and Zeppelin's would be the part that everyone instantly recognizes, oddly enough not singing the parts that were said to be ripped off from Taurus.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 18:41 on Oct 6, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Q!=E

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah those are about as similar as all pieces that Adam Neely goes over in the opening gag of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ytoUuO-qvg

loving lol at this followup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM6X2MEl7R8

I said that after Warner Music lost their war against “Happy Birthday”, they should have had their corporate charter revoked, and every day they continue to make the case for that.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 18:46 on Oct 6, 2020

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Not really, those songs share a similar element but have completely different chord progressions and "vibes," Led Zeppelin toured with Spirit and then ripped off the chord progression entirely and added "flourishes" as you noted. Also worth noting that Led Zeppelin did that poo poo all the time and took sole writing credit for both traditional songs and songs that were literally just someone else's.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
SCOTUS should have heard the case and ruled that, because Led Zeppelin’s piece is better, it would be damaging to “the progress of science and useful arts”, and therefore unconstitutional, to enforce copyright here.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Not really, those songs share a similar element but have completely different chord progressions and "vibes," Led Zeppelin toured with Spirit and then ripped off the chord progression entirely and added "flourishes" as you noted. Also worth noting that Led Zeppelin did that poo poo all the time and took sole writing credit for both traditional songs and songs that were literally just someone else's.

You can't copyright a chord progression though, or Pachelbel should be rolling in it right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOlDewpCfZQ
(which could be argued was ripped off from this one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxC1fPE1QEE

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

They maintain they were performing their bit years before pachelbel guy did his.
Anything that pushes back against the current, insanely overreaching copyright regime is good, if only it would be broadly applied and not just in service of the rich and powerful.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

AFewBricksShy posted:

You can't copyright a chord progression though, or Pachelbel should be rolling in it right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOlDewpCfZQ
(which could be argued was ripped off from this one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxC1fPE1QEE

I know you're being facetious but Pachelbel's been dead for over 300 years, it falls pretty neatly into the public domain. Anyway gently caress Led Zeppelin, they suck and were happy to rip off other artists without crediting them in any capacity, Stairway is bad and lame, and Page/Plant could spare some money to keep the guys from Spirit/their families from destitution.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Scarodactyl posted:

Anything that pushes back against the current, insanely overreaching copyright regime is good, if only it would be broadly applied and not just in service of the rich and powerful.

:hmmyes:

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1313489245823283201

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Guess what CNBC, upper middle class people are wealthy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pffffff, I could be wealthy on half that :rolleyes:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m..... genuinely surprised joe said that

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
That's more of a problem of " Cost of living in most cities are hosed up all to hell" than anything wrong with what he said.

gently caress, if i was making 100K a year, I'd feel rich as gently caress

Dreadwind
Dec 1, 2009

I like how that article simultaneously says that $400k a year is still a struggle to survive on and 6 times the median wage without even a hint of self reflection.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m..... genuinely surprised joe said that

It’s up there with “antifa is an idea, not an organization” for talking points that shockingly got through to him

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Henchman of Santa posted:

It’s up there with “antifa is an idea, not an organization” for talking points that shockingly got through to him

I've said for years that at some presidential debate, they should play a round of price is right

Mr President, how much does a pair of shoes cost?
Mr Vice President, what does car insurance cost?

Etc

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The Bloop posted:

I've said for years that at some presidential debate, they should play a round of price is right

Etc

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Biden defines buying 40,000 bananas a year as 'wealthy'

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

that's a lot of bananas

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8WvSGNEV24

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Bloop posted:

Etc

I have no idea what my car insurance costs without looking it up, now that you mention it. I can't not have it, so all all the budget numbers that matter week to week are after it's been paid.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

One of the reasons I don't own a car is honestly because I don't feel like periodically paying for insurance, fuel, etc.

I am the true proletarian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
i just get tunnel vision and would be unable to react to dangerous morons, so i don't drive for the safety of myself and others