Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

SHOAH NUFF posted:

There are so many hot girls on Instagram

My mans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FizFashizzle posted:

I meant since the election.

If you wanna relitigate the election well then then.....

Nah, just that none of the special elections have gone either and support for Trump is pretty even bouncing around 40%. We're in some real stupid times and it's going to take an incredibly consistent message that's more than "look at these idiots how horrible" because most of the supporters are literally just laughing at that.

I eagerly hope to see the bottom drop out on them in 2018, but I have a pretty strong suspicion that it will not at all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

That Works posted:

I agree with you though they should be full court press on Universal Healthcare and just be running entirely on that. Playing nice and compromise etc ended up with a halfway gutted ACA that while inherently good has had enough flaws that it's easier to attack.

Part of my point is, even if you're a Democrat who isn't in favor of universal healthcare, you should still run on the issue, it's got legs and everyone who disagrees, you can just say "why are you trying to kill poor people?" It should be to democrats what scary muslims/mexicans are to republicans.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Skwirl posted:

Part of my point is, even if you're a Democrat who isn't in favor of universal healthcare, you should still run on the issue, it's got legs and everyone who disagrees, you can just say "why are you trying to kill poor people?" It should be to democrats what scary muslims/mexicans are to republicans.

Theres a non-zero amount of people who are pro-killing poor people

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Topical
https://twitter.com/PeterSullivan4/status/890326251214426113

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Medicaid expansion was significantly weakened by the Supreme Court and by Obama's insistence that it be deficit-neutral, which was dumb. Raising the income threshold for Medicaid, eliminating the other threshold that says people can't pay more than 10% of their income for health care, and letting undocumented immigrants get on the exchanges/Medicaid would fix those problems.

Giving the insurance companies a massive new pool of guaranteed consumers was one of the tradeoffs the ACA made in exchange for the insurance companies accepting massive amounts of regulation. Hillarycare in the '90s showed us what happens when the insurance industry is in full opposition to your policy. They're still making money, but they're not making money by condemning sick people to death. The insurance companies still prefer life before the ACA, because they are scum.

That Works posted:

Nah, just that none of the special elections have gone either and support for Trump is pretty even bouncing around 40%. We're in some real stupid times and it's going to take an incredibly consistent message that's more than "look at these idiots how horrible" because most of the supporters are literally just laughing at that.

I eagerly hope to see the bottom drop out on them in 2018, but I have a pretty strong suspicion that it will not at all.

The Dems have quietly been cleaning house in state special elections, which matter greatly for redistricting in 2020.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Theres a non-zero amount of people who are pro-killing poor people

Yeah, but chasing those votes is what costs the democrats so many elections. It's like when republicans worry about being "too racist."

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Shangri-Law School posted:

The Dems have quietly been cleaning house in state special elections, which matter greatly for redistricting in 2020.

That's good to hear. I hope it pays some dividends sooner rather than later.

Speaking of 2020 redistricting, last I heard the census bureau wasn't currently funded and it's starting to make them pretty nervous.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'm gonna start a moonbase on the moon

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Ehud posted:

I'm gonna start a moonbase on the moon

Batman already beat you to it

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

if you had a moonbase on the moon, you could throw stuff at the earth, but you gotta get it up to ~2500m/s to hit escape velocity, which is what most firearms do.

So I want to visit your moonbase and I want to fire guns at the earth from it.

We can call it the International Space Institute of Science. Everyone will love us.

The science part will be paying Rex Grossman to throw footballs as far as he can.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 26, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

http://i.imgur.com/uUUo3I8.gifv

Checks out

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Anavar for every girl.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kalli posted:

if you had a moonbase on the moon, you could throw stuff at the earth, but you gotta get it up to ~2500m/s to hit escape velocity, which is what most firearms do.

So I want to visit your moonbase and I want to fire guns at the earth from it.

We can call it the International Space Institute of Science. Everyone will love us.

The science part will be paying Rex Grossman to throw footballs as far as he can.

You ever read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress? Part of the plot is launching rocks at Earth with a catapult.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
More on the fake kid letter lol

https://twitter.com/karacalavera/status/890314141394771968

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

FizFashizzle posted:

Anavar for every girl.

It works

e:

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 26, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wait, that fake kid was supposed to be 9? I assumed they were faking a 6 year old. I'm against corporal punishment, so if my 9 year old spelled or wrote like that I would punch myself in the face for being such a bad father.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Skwirl posted:

You ever read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress? Part of the plot is launching rocks at Earth with a catapult.

Oh yeah, TANSTAAFL has shown up in a bunch of stuff since then. I think Heinlein turns every teenage nerd into a Libertarian for a year.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kalli posted:

Oh yeah, TANSTAAFL has shown up in a bunch of stuff since then. I think Heinlein turns every teenage nerd into a Libertarian for a year.

He actually convinced me to be a Christian Anarchist, which is an odd political position for an Atheist.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Skwirl posted:

None of her ads were about policy, it was literally just "wouldn't it be awesome to have a woman president, also she's much more polite than her opponent."

Yea, her actual campaign was incredibly issues light for a wonk, it's was basically "get a load of this fuckin guy!!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/studiesincrap/status/889931165863432192

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Pretty sure that guy was just in the coast guard during the war

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

big money big clit posted:

Yea, her actual campaign was incredibly issues light for a wonk, it's was basically "get a load of this fuckin guy!!"

Her proposals were as detailed as we've ever seen in a campaign, and her stump speech was incredibly wonky. I went to one of them and she barely mentioned Trump.

Three problems (not necessarily decisive):

1. The media did not cover policy, instead focusing on EMAILS. This was actually measured. The only time anyone mentioned climate change in the debates was when Hillary brought it up herself.

2. Trump lied about everything and was never held to account by the media. It's hard to campaign on policy when your opponent is promising free stuff that nobody has to pay for.

3. Trump got billions of dollars in free coverage, and the only two times Hillary received more were when she got pneumonia and when Comey wrote his EMAILS letter.

The first and last problem will be around in 2020 and I'm worried there. The second is easier to deal with because Trump is the incumbent.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
4. She was a big fat phony who swung whichever way the winds went (Iraqi War, Gay Marriage) with 20 years of political baggage.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Her proposals were as detailed as we've ever seen in a campaign, and her stump speech was incredibly wonky. I went to one of them and she barely mentioned Trump.

1. The media did not cover policy, instead focusing on EMAILS. This was actually measured. The only time anyone mentioned climate change in the debates was when Hillary brought it up herself.

2. Trump lied about everything and was never held to account by the media. It's hard to campaign on policy when your opponent is promising free stuff that nobody has to pay for.

3. Trump got billions of dollars in free coverage, and the only two times Hillary received more were when she got pneumonia and when Comey wrote his EMAILS letter.

The first and last problem will be around in 2020 and I'm worried there. The second is easier to deal with because Trump is the incumbent.

She ran a pretty lovely campaign in a lot of ways. Read up on the anecdotes of would be canvassers being turned away, because it wasn't a data driven campaigning method. Pretending like she didn't give off an air of inevitability towards her election won't keep the same mistakes from being repeated. She lost to doofus we have office now. That only happens with self inflicted wounds.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A republican senator is introducing a single payer amendment to force democrats to vote on it, and Steve Bannon just floated raising the top tax rate by 5%.

They're even better at faking left then Democrats.

In other news, Curt Schilling is still a tremendous oval office.

https://twitter.com/gehrig38/status/890326519909933057

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Her ads were just "We should have a woman president," and she didn't loving stump in the swing midwest states. Yeah, lovely stuff happened to her during the campaign, but she also ran a poo poo campaign. A map of states that Obama won in 2012 and Hillary lost in 2016 is also a map of states Hillary didn't visit. I'm the last person who should defend the midwest, because I think you're all inbred rubes, but even I know people who want to president should at least talk to you, then immediately hop into a bath of purell.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

A republican senator is introducing a single payer amendment to force democrats to vote on it, and Steve Bannon just floated raising the top tax rate by 5%.

:thunk:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Skwirl posted:

Her ads were just "We should have a woman president," and she didn't loving stump in the swing midwest states. Yeah, lovely stuff happened to her during the campaign, but she also ran a poo poo campaign. A map of states that Obama won in 2012 and Hillary lost in 2016 is also a map of states Hillary didn't visit. I'm the last person who should defend the midwest, because I think you're all inbred rubes, but even I know people who want to president should at least talk to you, then immediately hop into a bath of purell.

Hell, one president ran a successful campaign without ever LEAVING Canton.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Kalli posted:

As opposed to all the captured cis US soldiers who were treated fairly and in line with the geneva convention

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Some news that doesn't suck,

https://twitter.com/EW/status/890343768582434817

This hasn't been rushed so I'm guessing at least its better than season 2.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

https://twitter.com/mcuban/status/890366948214624256

https://twitter.com/brianklaas/status/890222492677222402

:thunk:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

http://mediaproject.wesleyan.edu/blog/2016-election-study-published/

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Cash Monet posted:

This hasn't been rushed so I'm guessing at least its better than season 2.

I watched season one and enjoyed it, I guess season 2 is just awful from everything I've seen about it? Is it worth watching at all?

Nov 6, 2002

Grittybeard posted:

I watched season one and enjoyed it, I guess season 2 is just awful from everything I've seen about it? Is it worth watching at all?

No. Just watch season one again.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I don't think I've ever been as let down by the end of a season than I was with True Detective.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Grittybeard posted:

It's so bad

Nov 6, 2002

fsif posted:

I don't think I've ever been as let down by the end of a season than I was with True Detective.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Disagree wholeheartedly it was very enjoyable. You just have to understand that you're watching draft 3 of what should have been like draft 7 or 8 before it was made.

If only for ray velcoro coke sequence alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Electrical finally sorted out. Next time I take that 2+ hour drive on Friday or Saturday it will be for good.

For the record I did it round trip 4 of the last 5 days and 5 times in the last week :suicide:

• Locked thread