Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baronjutter posted:

I've never really given a hoot about ship sets. Fleets are overlapping blobs of the same model 200 times and I'm never zoomed in enough to see any detail. I wish there was a bit more diversity within the sets, not just basically one model for each size. Not that you ever really need to visually check anything with your fleets, fleets could be counters.
This is one of the (many) reasons I'm excited for fleet caps. A couple of dozen ships pew pewing each other should make for more graphically engaging fights than a couple of hundred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
Is there a list compiled of the upcoming changes in this new patch? A lot of this stuff sounds pretty awesome but I just stared to follow the thread so I might have missed earlier announcements.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Splicer posted:

This is one of the (many) reasons I'm excited for fleet caps. A couple of dozen ships pew pewing each other should make for more graphically engaging fights than a couple of hundred.
If you want engaging fleet fights that are cool to watch, you should just play Sword of the Stars. Fleets in Stellaris are kinda pretty numbers you point at other kinda pretty numbers.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Gobbeldygook posted:

If you want engaging fleet fights that are cool to watch, you should just play Sword of the Stars. Fleets in Stellaris are kinda pretty numbers you point at other kinda pretty numbers.

Importantly they don't have to be though. Fights in New Horizons are actually worth watching to figure out why your ship drsigns suck, simply because there's far fewer ships.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

Importantly they don't have to be though. Fights in New Horizons are actually worth watching to figure out why your ship drsigns suck, simply because there's far fewer ships.
Exactly. You can see what's going on in SotS because you rarely have more than a dozen ships per side. That you can control ships us obviously a huge incentive to watch, but it's the giant blobby mess of ships that is stellaris combat that makes it pointless to even try to watch the pretty.

That said, I'd like it if dead ships had a more obvious graphical JUST DIED signifier. Graphically a dead ship looks like a live ship for a few extra seconds before it "sinks". A big ol' explosion would be viscerally satisfying.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CainsDescendant posted:

The FTL soundtrack would probably fit pretty well
Yeah, the ftl soundtrack would work great.

The only problem is there probably isn't a way in the game for it to dynamically shift in and out of the battle versions of each track whenever you go to war or enter combat.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, the ftl soundtrack would work great.

The only problem is there probably isn't a way in the game for it to dynamically shift in and out of the battle versions of each track whenever you go to war or enter combat.

There is not, but that would be a pretty sweet addition to the new patch. Different tracks for peace, war and combat.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Honestly, if your game doesn't use iMUSE it's not a very good game :v:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Aethernet posted:

That plus the majorly buffed shield HP's mean battles last far longer. Unfortunately has the side effect that it's really hard to completely destroy an enemy fleet since they can emergency ftl before they lose many HP's.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Truga posted:

https://soundcloud.com/kusi81/ode-to-tie-x-6-game-tie

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Nevets posted:

That plus the majorly buffed shield HP's mean battles last far longer. Unfortunately has the side effect that it's really hard to completely destroy an enemy fleet since they can emergency ftl before they lose many HP's.

I've noticed in most fleet engagements in New Horizons, enemy fleets will tend to stick around a lot longer than in Stellaris, but I try to draw them out to do that by re working my fleet composition to have similar strength to theirs. Let the Mirandas, with their late game FTL inhibitors, draw in your enemy fleets to the fight, they'll get hosed up, but they're cheap, once that fight starts though, bring your capital ship fleet down on them. Between the FTL inhibitors, a relatively evenly matched set of fleets, and if you're lucky, a tech advantage, your enemy will usually stick around til they've got nothing buy patrol frigates and maybe a handful of destroyers left.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Truga posted:

The new hotness these days is composing music in multiple layers intended to be played over top one another and then having the game mix and match the layers dynamically to fit the tone and pacing of the gameplay.

I would just settle for "is at war," and "are spaceships fighting" conditions for music selection, though. Don't even care that much of the base game incorporates it, but it would be a nice feature for mods.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's extremely unfortunate that the move from midi format to recorded music has pretty much made iMUSE impossible to work with, because you need to record 3 billion 5 note samples, and as far as I know MI2 special edition is the only game to ever get that treatment, exclusively because it's a remake of a game that had that. If you bought it on pc anyway, I hear xbox version is boned in that department lol.

turn off the TV posted:

The new hotness these days is composing music in multiple layers intended to be played over top one another and then having the game mix and match the layers dynamically to fit the tone and pacing of the gameplay.

Yeah, FFXIV does this in one of the dungeon tunes, and for the big raids, and it owns a lot. And :same: on the peace/war/combat part.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I understand the basic premise of threat, but if you take systems from an aggressive xenophobe that everyone hates, empires that have been your friends for hundreds of years shouldn't suddenly hate you for it. Yes, you're more powerful now, but also you're their friend and a large threatening empire is reduced.

I get that it's a balancing factor but there must be a better way that's not so jarring.

I'd prefer to see mechanics that make large empires harder to keep together, causing them to split into smaller but still relevant empires as a counterbalance for conquest expansion.

At the moment it's just like, you conquer one guy, now everyone hates you forever so you might as well conquer everyone else too. As soon as you win that first big war diplomacy basically disappears from the game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Holy smokes, the Contingency is a total gently caress-you-over event if you're running a synthetic empire, huh? Like 3/4 of my empire is synthetics(since I did the super involved quest/perk chain to convert my entire race to robots) and it completely smoked my income, going from 1k EC/M with my fleet out and about to -600 minerals income instantly, and -129 even with my fleet docked. And now there's four Contingency planets with two right next to my main empire and secondary empire. These guys seem a hell of a lot more involved and worse than the Unbidden in every way

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Oof, I'm really starting to see what you guys are talking about with that late-game slowdown.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Captain Invictus posted:

Holy smokes, the Contingency is a total gently caress-you-over event if you're running a synthetic empire, huh? Like 3/4 of my empire is synthetics(since I did the super involved quest/perk chain to convert my entire race to robots) and it completely smoked my income, going from 1k EC/M with my fleet out and about to -600 minerals income instantly, and -129 even with my fleet docked. And now there's four Contingency planets with two right next to my main empire and secondary empire. These guys seem a hell of a lot more involved and worse than the Unbidden in every way

The Special Project research will save you (increase your engineering(?) research by every means possible), although by the time you complete it you might be in ruins. Preserve your fleet as best you can, let them take ground outside of your most important worlds. Buy time with as much as you can spare. If nothing else A Certain Someone should save you from total annihilation.

But yes, that is a nasty move by the Contingency against machine intelligence's and I love it.

Unrelated, Is anyone else still amused the thread title's still on point after all this time? :haw:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Didn't they adjust something a while back that fires an event which 'isolates' the signal so it doesn't hit you quite as hard (or at all?).

Maybe that is just for those who start as a synthetic empire. Or maybe even just a Getsalt Consciousness. I don't recall off the top of my head.

But yeah the reworked AI crisis will hit you like a ton of bricks if you aren't expecting it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I hope A Certain Someone isn't an ascendant fallen empire because I killed all four of them (edit: wait forgot the fourth one is where the first Contingency base spawned right in the middle of), I was literally in the process of wrapping up two of them when the Contingency went off. Should've realized it was 2410 and the endgame crises could show up, I thought the Ghost Signal was just another questline.

Speaking of, I kinda wish there were more questlines like that one about the extinct forerunner race that wound up suiciding themselves across the galaxy all at once including an antimatter detonation of their homeworld because they were convinced they were in The Matrix and had to break free with a simultaneous death scream of trillions of souls

metal as gently caress

also does the enigma fortress respawn somewhere if you blow it up, I botched the entrance to it and it let me accept the quest to reenter it but it blew up before I could do anything.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Well they were half-right were they? :v:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Captain Invictus posted:

I hope A Certain Someone isn't an ascendant fallen empire because I killed all four of them (edit: wait forgot the fourth one is where the first Contingency base spawned right in the middle of), I was literally in the process of wrapping up two of them when the Contingency went off. Should've realized it was 2410 and the endgame crises could show up, I thought the Ghost Signal was just another questline.

Speaking of, I kinda wish there were more questlines like that one about the extinct forerunner race that wound up suiciding themselves across the galaxy all at once including an antimatter detonation of their homeworld because they were convinced they were in The Matrix and had to break free with a simultaneous death scream of trillions of souls

metal as gently caress

also does the enigma fortress respawn somewhere if you blow it up, I botched the entrance to it and it let me accept the quest to reenter it but it blew up before I could do anything.

A Certain Someone is The Cybrex!

Also I hope said fallen empire didn't wake up when the Contingency arrived, because a fallen empire being too slow to awaken to a omnicidal AI is exactly the fate they deserve.

Well, maybe old folks homeing too, but I did that already with Playstation 4. :haw:

E: Something I'd like for Stellaris is officer exchange programs. Trading around leaders with your allies sounds like fun to me and could make a tidy profit if you go hard on biogenetics and perks to make your prospective leaders 10's with long life spans, then sell them for prestige and nice deals.

It might need some work, spiritualists refusing cyborgs/synths, hive minds only trading with hive minds (biologically ascended getting access to everyone) and the like, but it'd be neat to be the empire that has super-academies churning out geniuses to the highest bidder! :haw:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 24, 2017

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Soarer posted:

Is there a list compiled of the upcoming changes in this new patch? A lot of this stuff sounds pretty awesome but I just stared to follow the thread so I might have missed earlier announcements.
The dev diaries are a good place to start.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Technical Analysis posted:

Play as humans, purge the galaxy of inferior life. All loving xenos must loving hang.

Always relevant

https://youtu.be/O1CQ7Vwz8Eo

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

turn off the TV posted:

I would just settle for "is at war," and "are spaceships fighting" conditions for music selection, though. Don't even care that much of the base game incorporates it, but it would be a nice feature for mods.

I would be really surprised if this isn't already possible - it's trivial to do when adding new music to CK2 or EU4, for example. I just haven't really looked into music modding in Stellaris so maybe they changed something?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I'm not usually the type to buy cosmetic dlc, but cosmetic dlc doesn't generally look as good as this Humanoids pack seems.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is there a way to find where new strategic resources you've acquired through research are? I've just gotten living metal (turns out the contingency are a bunch of bitches, their equal strength fleet melted in the face of mine and I only lost a quarter of my ships) and there's two of them, ones in the destroyed contingency world but I have no idea where the other is and want to better protect it.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
I'm pretty sure it's just turning on the map icon cluster gently caress checkbox and looking around for it.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Or install the autonomous assemblers mod and have the ai do it for you.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I built a habitat around Mars and now I can't build a spaceport(got habitats way earlier than terraforming). It's impossible to dismantle a habitat I assume? Would be nice to be able to build a spaceport for Mars, and not be locked out of that forever.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I thought you had to colonize the planet to build a spaceport. Habs don't get spaceports.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

I thought you had to colonize the planet to build a spaceport. Habs don't get spaceports.

I think the idea is that Mars was a terraforming candidate, the habitat was built around it, mars was then terraformed, and now you can't have a spaceport there for some reason.

Which is a weird glitch cos normally I think spaceports just build, I dunno why they'd check for that cos it's not like you can normally have anything else in orbit of a colonized world, I dunno why they'd even check.

You're not supposed to be able to build habs around colonizable planets but maybe terraforming candidates mess with that.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Thyrork posted:

A Certain Someone is The Cybrex!

Also I hope said fallen empire didn't wake up when the Contingency arrived, because a fallen empire being too slow to awaken to a omnicidal AI is exactly the fate they deserve.

Well, maybe old folks homeing too, but I did that already with Playstation 4. :haw:

E: Something I'd like for Stellaris is officer exchange programs. Trading around leaders with your allies sounds like fun to me and could make a tidy profit if you go hard on biogenetics and perks to make your prospective leaders 10's with long life spans, then sell them for prestige and nice deals.

It might need some work, spiritualists refusing cyborgs/synths, hive minds only trading with hive minds (biologically ascended getting access to everyone) and the like, but it'd be neat to be the empire that has super-academies churning out geniuses to the highest bidder! :haw:

Do they show up always or only if you don't have the machine FE around?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Shugojin posted:

Do they show up always or only if you don't have the machine FE around?

They show up if the Contingency takes over a certain amount of the galaxy.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Shadowlyger posted:

They show up if the Contingency takes over a certain amount of the galaxy.

Ah, that would explain it. I stomped on them far too quickly because I had been floating at the dumbest surplus despite funding other empires' wars out of boredom for like 50 years.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think the AI needs a bit of fixing. So the Contingency keeps taking/losing planets in various empire territories. I can't figure out why, so I start taking it to them because they're annoying. Destroy two of the planets, and still no sign of the other 20+ empires' fleets. Go to take on the third one and

They've got a completely ridiculous doomstack of doomstacks in this one system, every single empire's fleets are clustered there. Millions of fleet firepower, just mulling about in a pile. They do occasionally move, though: only when the Contingency takes a planet and begins genociding the populace. Then the fleets return to the pile. Oh, and they make drat sure to show up to the after-party once I've wiped out the defense fleets of the manufacturing planets and am just bombarding it to death, waiting for the 20k life to tick down. Useless jerks. I'm gonna leave the last one alive and go around killing everyone while they occupy themselves with that because everyone super duper hates me ever since I went synth, so gently caress'em

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Still having trouble surviving as a inner focus empire, everyone hates me too much to take advantage of the tiny amount of diplomacy that I can do, and my low fleet limits make keeping a large enough fleet expensive. I was doing really well in my latest game until two empires declared on me and then in the middle of that war a third joined in.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
How does colonizing red planets work now? I am thinking about taking the ascension perk that gives you the atmospheric manipulation technology because there are a few red planets that would fill out my empire borders very nicely. good idea?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
wait a minute as a hive mind I don't care about happiness so can I just colonize wherever I want?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Pretty sure 40% habitability is still the threshold for colonizing a planet - you can move whoever you want wherever you want once a colony is down but you still need to lead the way with a species that can survive there first or a Droid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
They're all yellow now because I researched a habitability tech. So wait a minute if I stacked habitability bonuses I could just colonize everywhere with no penalties and that ascension perk is more or less pointless?

• Locked thread