Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
It has a lot of nudity, but then it immediately makes you feel awful for enjoying it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I love the first half of fwwm, the bizzaro twin peaks is so fun.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This movie’s horrid

Not in like a quality way. You know what I mean

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escobarbarian posted:

This movie’s horrid

Not in like a quality way. You know what I mean
I just got to the part where Philip Gerard screams at Leland in traffic :stonk:

I love this movie

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Because it took me so long to actually watch Twin Peaks Season 1 and 2 (just before The Return came out!), I had like 25 years of remembering that reaction to Fire Walk With Me when it came out was brutal, with people saying it was terrible and retroactively made Twin Peaks worse. I was kind of dreading watching it, but figured I might as well be a completionist.

I don't know what people 30 years ago were smoking (crack) but they're insane. FWWM is loving incredible.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
FWWM is brutal but goddamn is it an incredible film and makes Twin Peaks better retroactively.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jerusalem posted:

Because it took me so long to actually watch Twin Peaks Season 1 and 2 (just before The Return came out!), I had like 25 years of remembering that reaction to Fire Walk With Me when it came out was brutal, with people saying it was terrible and retroactively made Twin Peaks worse. I was kind of dreading watching it, but figured I might as well be a completionist.

I don't know what people 30 years ago were smoking (crack) but they're insane. FWWM is loving incredible.

I assume the drastic tone shift and absolute refusal to resolve season 2's cliffhanger pissed people off, but once you accept it on its own terms (easier when you know there is eventually a third season) then it works a lot better. I had a similar reaction, and FWWM got me over the slump of the dreck in season 2 to finish the series. It does have some issues (I wish Cooper could have been in the first half more) but yeah it's an all timer

Minghawk
Oct 9, 2012
Having watched Twin Peaks as a teenager when it originally aired, I was monumentally pissed off that I couldn't quite pass for 18 to see FWWM at the cinema when it was released. Rented it on video as soon as it became available, and the experience was... deflating.

I'd seen all of Lynch's films up to that point, and it was no surprise that this was more in his usual style than the TV version could have been, but it was such a tonal shift that I felt a little robbed. This was almost certainly going to be the last couple of hours we spent in that world, so why not give us more of what we want rather than a swerve into what is pretty much a straight-up horror movie?

Of course, on a second viewing, it became and remains my favourite of his films. If it had some of the missing scenes in there originally it might have softened its reception a bit, but stripping it down to be more focused is what works for it, I think. It did get a lot of stick for being incomprehensible to people who haven't seen the series, but as valid as that is, why would you start with FWWM?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I might have been peeved if I was an OG Twin Peaks fan and got a film that didn't resolve the cliffhanger at all. But in a world where Season 3 exists, FWWM is just perfect. It's one of my favorite Lynch films in it's own right but it also serves as a great transition from old Peaks to new.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, Twin Peaks was huge and a lot of people only knew of Lynch through that. Seeing FWWM after their weird quirky tv show was probably a big shock, especially since there was barely any Cooper and he was a big part of why people liked the show.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I challenge any of you to watch Sleepwalkers and take a shot any time Mädchen Amick bites her bottom lip

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

What do y'all make of all of the sick people shown throughout season 3? The kid in that car with the screaming lard lady? That idiot in the jail cell that kept drunkenly repeating everything (who I think is Audrey's Billy)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmuH1042AFo&t=95s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDlHG9SfpPY&t=16s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRAV7O8XzIE&t=11s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzCs_WARw-c

(season 3 is full of sick people because america has a soul sickness)

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
if original twin peaks is about the dark and ugly sickness hiding underneath the idyllic surface of mayberry usa, as blue velvet was, the return shows us a place where it's no longer hidden. the veneer has disintegrated, and the sickness is out and spreading.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Thanks, now I'm compelled to watch that whole video yet again

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just started watching the Return with a friend who just watched the first 2 seasons over the last 3 months, and so far the craziest thing about the Return is that Michael Bisping is one of the first people you see in it. Might even be his debut acting role

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Just started watching the Return with a friend who just watched the first 2 seasons over the last 3 months, and so far the craziest thing about the Return is that Michael Bisping is one of the first people you see in it. Might even be his debut acting role

It blew my mind back when The Return came out lmao didn’t expect him at all.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

today I find myself thinking about the two minute silent floor sweeping scene in The Return that ends with the reveal of a secret third Renault brother who has a few lines of menacing dialogue and never shows up again. great scene

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I watched Tall Men (2016) last night because I heard about it on a podcast somewhere a while back and happened to stumble across it while trying to find something to watch.

It’s the most Lynchian thing I think I’ve ever seen not made by the man himself, and I just needed to tell somebody. That’s not necessarily a recommendation, but if anyone on the planet is going to appreciate this sort of no-budget schlock it’d be Twin Peaks fans. It feels like if eraserhead was first made in 2006 with a consumer DSLR.

Also it has nothing to do with slender man, I think whoever did the marketing/poster just went in that direction to capitalize on the craze at the time.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I just started the Secret History and have a question for those who followed the release since it first dropped. Was this book promoted as a lead-in for The Return or as an alternate perspective to the world we already knew? What was the reception for this when it came out? Were people well aware that season 3 was right around the corner?

I’m probably not saying anything new here but I think the construction and layout of the book itself is really well done, and the material so far really hits the spot. More twin peaks, and I am really happy about that.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I just started the Secret History and have a question for those who followed the release since it first dropped. Was this book promoted as a lead-in for The Return or as an alternate perspective to the world we already knew? What was the reception for this when it came out? Were people well aware that season 3 was right around the corner?

I’m probably not saying anything new here but I think the construction and layout of the book itself is really well done, and the material so far really hits the spot. More twin peaks, and I am really happy about that.

Yeah it was announced after the return was. It didn't get discussed much. Like "this is what Frost was doing while Lynch was off making the series". People were kind of dismissive. The layout is cool though, and some of it tied in well to the new series.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

wa27 posted:

Yeah it was announced after the return was. It didn't get discussed much. Like "this is what Frost was doing while Lynch was off making the series". People were kind of dismissive. The layout is cool though, and some of it tied in well to the new series.

Yeah, I have both Secret History and Final Dossier, and I think they're well-done and I enjoyed reading them, but it's hard for them to keep anyone's attention when Lynch is like "they don't matter, I haven't looked at them."

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

disaster pastor posted:

Yeah, I have both Secret History and Final Dossier, and I think they're well-done and I enjoyed reading them, but it's hard for them to keep anyone's attention when Lynch is like "they don't matter, I haven't looked at them."

I think they're good reading for after you've seen season 3. Definitely not essential, and certainly no masterpieces, but they clear up some things that were left intentionally vague in the series (and I've no doubt Lynch might have preferred them left that way).

Also some interesting character backstories and local history that you had no way of knowing from the series alone.

I think I've actually read them through twice.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
They're also gorgeous books to just have, especially the Final Dossier but both are really cool

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/hausofdecline/status/1575647347073163265?s=20&t=vF2-ha0tnF_SDpOteSes3w

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
God, that puppet was terrifying.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Finally got my criterion copy of Lost Highway. I had never seen it all the way through, just catching clips hear and there. Definitely have to watch it again to even attempt to interpret this one.

Feels like a good transition from Twin Peaks to Mulholland Drive though. Lots of similar shots, and themes shared between the three.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I love both LH and MD, but I might prefer the former. Definitely need to pick up the Criterion copy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Criterion release UHDs in the UK you cowards. We get LH on Monday, but only the blu

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

disaster pastor posted:

Both audio books are great. But i also think season 3 is crap.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

MikusR posted:

Both audio books are great. But i also think season 3 is crap.

Gonna mention though that you'll lose quite a bit of the visual flair if you only listen to them (and I did on my second time through). Those books have got hella maps, illustrations and elaborate visual design going on throughout.

Zat fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 29, 2022

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/neatsaux/status/1592628653632139264?s=20&t=LKTO94nfewZi4hFpyYP0cA

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

I once legitimately tried to get a small theater to do a double feature of La La Land / Mulholland Drive.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I just finished a re-watch of The Return and I'm doing a new set of the original run and FWWM etc now, I am definitely craving more of the world - if any, which of the Twin Peaks books are actually worth reading?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Aye Doc posted:

I just finished a re-watch of The Return and I'm doing a new set of the original run and FWWM etc now, I am definitely craving more of the world - if any, which of the Twin Peaks books are actually worth reading?

The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer,
The Secret History of Twin Peaks and Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier are all good.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
None of them IMO. It’s fun to spend more time with those characters and the world they live in, for sure. But I didn’t walk away from any of them going “this added to the canon in a way that made my experience better”.

That said, just read them all, they’re cheap used and fun to have around.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

Bird in a Blender posted:

Feels like a good transition from Twin Peaks to Mulholland Drive though. Lots of similar shots, and themes shared between the three.

I recall reading that Lynch got the idea for Lost Highway while filming Fire Walk With Me. He started on the screenplay before they had finished FWWM.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aye Doc posted:

Only the Laura Palmer diary imo is worth it. It’s really cool. The Cooper tapes book is superfluous and the Mark Frost books just bored me.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I enjoyed the Mark Frost books a fair amount (though the first more than the second), but in a very different way to Twin Peaks the show. I think they were worthy in their own right, but the connection to Twin Peaks added very little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Al Strobel passed away yesterday at 83 years old. rest in peace :(

https://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/al-strobel-1939-2022/