Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no but i've only had my RF-1200 for like 2.1 years so will let you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Marxalot posted:

Anyone else with an RF1200 have a problem with literally all of their vents flying off the drat thing in 3 years?

e: also visor mounting tabs falling off, pinlock mounts falling off, pinlock inserts themselves not having enough tension to really seal up

I've had my RF1200 for > 3 years now and all the vents are fine. I replaced all my visor mounting hardware with metal screws and now that's fine; the plastic ones loosen up every other ride or so, and I eventually lost one when I didn't tighten it. Cue the visor not shutting all the way.

Pinlock inserts: complete waste of time and money on this helmet.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
are you sure you bought a shoei and not a shoey

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I would say it's either a version of this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrichor

or it's literally that and you just notice it more on a bike the way you perceive all environmental smells more intensely.

It's similar to that but also:

Koruthaiolos posted:

This is what I've always thought it was too. I assumed you do't get it from cars since you son't get as much wet road grime directly on the engine. Definitely a different smell from petrichor. I get it as a more burnt smell than just earthy.

It's definitely a unique smell. Maybe I notice it quite so much because my first experience on a bike was doing the CBT and spending a whole day in pissing rain, and the smell instantly puts me back there on an SR125 with a sticky throttle cable, soaked to the skin and so cold that it took an hour in the bath to get the feeling back in my hands. It's a miracle I ever got on a bike again.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I've never noticed this? I do get a horrifying swampy odour when any of my textiles get wet though.

You should invite me over for drinks next time it rains so we can sniff each other's bikes.

I warn you the last person I met from CA fled the country within months, then fled the country he fled to.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I treat my stuff like poo poo and my RF1200 is fine. Pinlock works great. Vents are fine. Had it about 3 years.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

its all nice on rice posted:

I treat my stuff like poo poo and my RF1200 is fine. Pinlock works great. Vents are fine. Had it about 3 years.

Same.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I realized my A* leather pants are going to get tight in the quad region as I start working out my legs again (tore a tendon so I've been skipping leg day for a while), are any other brands out there known for having extra room in the quad region? Or do you just buy a size bigger in the waist and then try and tighten it up?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
You buy a bigger waist size and then just flex your quads to stop them falling down.

Alternatively, go full ADV dad and get a set of moto braces/suspenders.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Leather stretches. Wear that skin.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
After starting with suspenders on my mc pants I'll never not have them. It's so much more comfy than all the weight of the pants on a belt type solution + It never rides down.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I hadn't thought of it stretching out, it's more just that it's getting uncomfortable and awkward feeling (not that they ever felt like wearing regular pants). Moto suspenders are new to me, I guess if I get that I have no option but to buy Aerostitch gear and a BMW?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Anyone tried Earasers? https://www.earasers.net/collections/moto-hifi-earplugs/products/moto-hi-fi-earplugs

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
$50 buys a shitload of foam earplugs.

I like that they paid Dave Despain for a review. There is zero customer feedback on their site despite these having been around since 2012? That seems odd to me.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Those look rigid, and anything that's rigid ain't sealing your ears for poo poo. Just get some foam ones, you can find oodles with 29-32 NRR. There's those wax and cotton ones that coydog likes so much, and they work really well. A little more of a pain in the rear end than foamies but good protection.

Also avoid all PPE without reviews.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Yes, I have a pair. They suck - I honestly prefer 3M foam plugs for riding. Can't keep a decent seal (they are not rigid, it's a flexible silicone - doesn't matter, they still don't seal for poo poo) and the attenuation when they do have a good seal is IMO insufficient, and I ordered mine with a higher level of attenuation.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've tried a ton of different ear-protection products across motorcycling, running gas-powered tools, working in a machine shop, and flying small airplanes -- I've used pretty much everything short of those super custom $600 ear-canal plugs that have to be fitted and manufactured like a hearing aid -- and the cheap squishy foam plugs are still the best.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've tried the pinlock ones and they're terrible. Orange foamies 4 lyfe.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

Yes, I have a pair. They suck - I honestly prefer 3M foam plugs for riding. Can't keep a decent seal (they are not rigid, it's a flexible silicone - doesn't matter, they still don't seal for poo poo) and the attenuation when they do have a good seal is IMO insufficient, and I ordered mine with a higher level of attenuation.

Cool. Only asking because a guy at a concert was talking them up. I've never had a problem with my orange foamies for either music or riding. I also wouldn't even try coydog's faves until they start publishing dB numbers.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Chris Knight posted:

Cool. Only asking because a guy at a concert was talking them up. I've never had a problem with my orange foamies for either music or riding. I also wouldn't even try coydog's faves until they start publishing dB numbers.

Completely anecdotal, but they block out enough noise to hear your heartbeat at low speeds.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

I've tried a ton of different ear-protection products across motorcycling, running gas-powered tools, working in a machine shop, and flying small airplanes -- I've used pretty much everything short of those super custom $600 ear-canal plugs that have to be fitted and manufactured like a hearing aid -- and the cheap squishy foam plugs are still the best.

I buy them from the local hardware store in a big plastic container that also looks like a giant foam earplug.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Carth Dookie posted:

I buy them from the local hardware store in a big plastic container that also looks like a giant foam earplug.

That's awesome. I just get the generic clamshell of ~70 pairs at Fred Meyer.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
What's the consensus on motorcycle jeans, kevlar jeans etc? Worth? Good brands?
Practical for day to day use, comfort wise?

I've been using textile overpants for the winter, but they're bulky and hot as hell, and summer is coming.

TheMaskedUgly fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 29, 2018

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

TheMaskedUgly posted:

What's the consensus on motorcycle jeans, kevlar jeans etc? Worth? Good brands?
Practical for day to day use, comfort wise?

I've been using textile overpants for the winter, but they're bulky and hot as hell, and summer is coming.

I like my Scorpion Covert jeans. Decently priced, true to fit, pretty comfortable. I had a small off in them and just got a small scuff. They're cut long, and are perfectly normal looking and fine for kicking around in over boots. Mostly comfortable, but the lining can get a little scratchy at times. Nothing terrible, just a little less comfortable than regular jeans.

I don't think any truly protective kevlar lined jeans are going to be comfortable for summer off the bike though. Regular old street jeans are uncomfortable enough in the summer, and then think about heavier denim plus a kevlar lining. I don't ever wear mine in the summer, I just use my mesh pants over shorts or light pants.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i wore rhok jeans for a while but idk, the cuts on useful jeans are typically skinny jean tapered fit in order to keep the armor pads where they need to be. i always ended up having to remove the knee pads at work to get them to look normal

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I don't ever wear mine in the summer, I just use my mesh pants over shorts or light pants.

:same:

You're still going to be gross and sweaty at any speed under 40mph mind, but that's just summer no matter what you're wearing.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01B6L4C00/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2VS4NLQ29SZMD&psc=1

This seems absurd, especially because it's well reviewed. Or am I just conditioned to thinking bike accessories always cost a fortune?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Company's own website claims they're based in Norfolk, so they're either having poo poo made to order in China, or it's being made here to brexit sweatshop standards.

It's a bit of blown plastic with some hinges and a lock embedded in it, it shouldn't cost too much to make, but yeah twenty quid does kinda make me wonder where their margin is. :iiam:

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
When it you put it like that, it doesn't sound like a viable thing to strap to the bag of my XR and drive through the Morocco desert. Maybe I'll stick to soft luggage.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Use proper leather / textile pants. Change into work pants at the change area/locker room at work.

Oh wait you don't have that?

Unionize, get a proper area to store travel clothes / change into work gear.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Supradog posted:

Use proper leather / textile pants. Change into work pants at the change area/locker room at work.

People sometimes ride motorcycles to places other than work and don’t want to look like astronauts when they get there.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I always want to look like an astronaut. :colbert:

Although I'm pretty skinny so the bulk of bike armour mostly just makes me look like a regular person :shobon:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Are good textiles better than kevlar jeans if you have an off? I've been looking at pants for a year and haven't gotten off my rear end and bought anything. I have a pair of leather A*, but they're so heavy and bulky that I only wear them for the canyons.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Supradog posted:

Or just change in the bathroom.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Or don't, because that's loving gross and nobody should have to put up with it. Drop trou in the middle of the office until your boss finally caves and agrees to get a proper changing room installed.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

MomJeans420 posted:

Are good textiles better than kevlar jeans if you have an off? I've been looking at pants for a year and haven't gotten off my rear end and bought anything. I have a pair of leather A*, but they're so heavy and bulky that I only wear them for the canyons.
Depends what you're comparing. Gear with armor in it is better than gear without, yes.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Renaissance Robot posted:

Or don't, because that's loving gross and nobody should have to put up with it. Drop trou in the middle of the office until your boss finally caves and agrees to get a proper changing room installed.

Some places have a private/single bathroom, and even then there's the larger handicap stall. Or do you mean gross for the person changing?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
For me, personally, as the person getting changed, because even spacious disabled toilets aren't set up for changing and frankly who knows how clean the floors (where I'm going to have to put all my stuff down) are.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I know the floors are less covered in oil, dirt, bugs, grime, salt, and probably spit than my gear is. I've changed from normal clothes into riding clothes in a porta-john before. I'm not going to lick the things, I don't particularly care how dirty the outsides get.

Of course, now that I have all brand-new gear, I might.... nahh. It's gonna get dirty anyway.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Depends what you're comparing. Gear with armor in it is better than gear without, yes.

Assuming you have jeans with armor and textiles with armor, is there a difference between the two? Maybe a better question is, what pair of riding pants should I get that I'll wear consistently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

MomJeans420 posted:

Assuming you have jeans with armor and textiles with armor, is there a difference between the two? Maybe a better question is, what pair of riding pants should I get that I'll wear consistently?

Kevlar/textiles will have less wear resistance than leather, but if you're doing legal-ish speeds, there shouldn't be much difference in abrasion resistance. The difference between the two is that if you crash you can fix the leather, you can't fix textiles. Realistically, though, insurance covers gear so you'll just get new stuff (and fixing jackets is a bit risky imo).

In practice, I found that for the same price of textiles with decent armour (as in, CE2 rated) you're looking at a similar price for low-end Alpinestars leather stuff, so for more aggressive riding or if the weather is appropriate I wear the leather stuff. Generally textiles for commuting.