Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
UPDATE: As of 5:43pm PST, I have been officially let go from the company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Tigntink posted:

A few of us were giving our 23 year old coworker some "how to handle your credit card" advice and I was giving him the age old "just buy your groceries on it and pay it off in full every month for a few years" and then my coworker popped in with the "leave 10% on at all time!" and I was just like "dude don't give him myths like that"

Letting one credit card report between a 2-9% utilization balance is good for your credit score.

The way to do this is to let your statement generate with the balance you want, and then pay it immediately after. No interest accrues and your CC will report to the bureaus the statement balance.

The reason for this is because the FICO model awards points for credit usage, and also awards points for low utilization. After a lot of testing by a lot of people the sweet spot was discovered at the rate above.

All these rules are out the window if you have collections and such, because that affects your score significantly more than utilization.

The only time this matters is when you are applying for credit, for example, if you are buying a house, a few points can matter in interest tiering, but in most situations it's not worth the hassle, so just pay it off.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
"I moved to the SF bay area for a call center job at $19k a year, and it has been a surprisingly bad idea!"

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

oxsnard posted:

This is amazing you guys

https://medium.com/@taliajane/an-open-letter-to-my-ceo-fb73df021e7a#.cr3agenea

People living as slaves in SV is sort of sad but also kind of hilarious. You could work at a McDonalds in a decently fun midwestern, say Des Moines and have a waaaaay better quality of life. But this delicate flower, like millions of others like her, are drawn to the big dreams of a place like San Fran like moths to a flame.

Yeah that's why we came back to Cleveland. I lived single and poor in boston, and then with wife and kid poor in SF, and I made a non-insignificant living. We couldn't hack it as a single income family who enjoys going out to dinner from time to time.

So gently caress it, I make the same money here and we have twice as much spending money. Weather is worse but we can take trips to SF if we want to :D

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

hanales posted:

Letting one credit card report between a 2-9% utilization balance is good for your credit score.

The way to do this is to let your statement generate with the balance you want, and then pay it immediately after. No interest accrues and your CC will report to the bureaus the statement balance.

The reason for this is because the FICO model awards points for credit usage, and also awards points for low utilization. After a lot of testing by a lot of people the sweet spot was discovered at the rate above.

All these rules are out the window if you have collections and such, because that affects your score significantly more than utilization.

The only time this matters is when you are applying for credit, for example, if you are buying a house, a few points can matter in interest tiering, but in most situations it's not worth the hassle, so just pay it off.

Yeah he's 23, still lives with his mom, and still blows his whole paycheck on bullshit every month. The guy needs to start easy and he sure as hell aint buying a house in the Seattle area any time soon.

last laugh
Feb 11, 2004

NOOOTHING!

canyoneer posted:

"I moved to the SF bay area for a call center job at $19k a year, and it has been a surprisingly bad idea!"

"Also, stop giving your employees free and healthy snacks!"

For Content, a friend of a friend mentioned getting into Forex, but it's not just forex! it has an MLM/Ponzi element as well. You pay $300/month for access to a "trading platform (lets you know when a technical indicator has been triggered)" but if you get people to subscribe under you, you get a piece of their fees. If you get enough people under you the "CEO" will even trade forex for you and give you a whopping 70% of your account value! :what:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Nitrox posted:

UPDATE: As of 5:43pm PST, I have been officially let go from the company

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Business, Finance, and Careers > Bad With Money: As of 5:43pm PST, I have been officially let go from the company

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
If you read a few of those comments, there seems to be more people defending the author from negative comments then there are negative comments.

And a number of them say they donated, so maybe GWM?

I wonder what the legal ramifications are for a 31 year old, financially secure man pretending to be a poor, down on her luck, mid-20s girl and accepting donations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Millennials are starting to piss me off. Your 20's are supposed to suck. Maybe Baby Boomers got lucky, but every generation since has dealt with the same poo poo. I didn't get laid for 3 years because I was working two jobs and going to night school. Being poor and miserable until age 27 is a rite of passage.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Krispy Kareem posted:

Millennials are starting to piss me off. Your 20's are supposed to suck. Maybe Baby Boomers got lucky, but every generation since has dealt with the same poo poo. I didn't get laid for 3 years because I was working two jobs and going to night school. Being poor and miserable until age 27 is a rite of passage.

Yes, everything sucks and that is how it should be.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah but how would they know that? They've been told all their lives that they're special and they should do great things. The boomers had everything handed to them, raised idiot children with no concept of the real world because they themselves had no concept of it, and their idiot children then told all their kids to go to college and they could be anything they wanted to be. Tadaaa: millennials.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Krispy Kareem posted:

NancyPants posted:

Yeah but how would they know that? They've been told all their lives that they're special and they should do great things. The boomers had everything handed to them, raised idiot children with no concept of the real world because they themselves had no concept of it, and their idiot children then told all their kids to go to college and they could be anything they wanted to be. Tadaaa: millennials.

Source your quotes.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Source your quotes.

Neither of those things you quoted is a quote.

Droo fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 20, 2016

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

NancyPants posted:

I dunno about doing great things, I think the lady just wanted to afford her rent with a college degree

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I dunno about doing great things, I think the lady just wanted to afford her rent with a college degree

You need a college degree to work in call centers now?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
85% of take home pay goes to rent :laffo: what the gently caress

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Is there a reason these SV unicorns stick their low paying jobs in high rent areas? Is it prestige? Yelp could build a call center anywhere and still have a fancy SanFran headquarters.

Yelp BWM.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I agree wholeheartedly. As much as I, too, am annoyed by inexperienced people, this is not unique to millenials nor could I blame them if it were.

But I am a pinko that thinks anyone working full time should be making a living wage adjusted for the cost of living in their area, and companies that pay this bullshit in places like SF should just stop taking their handouts and let the free market really decide.

And this is getting to be another terribad derail already.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
She said that she was tolerating call center bullshit because that's what Yelp offered her to claw her way up the corporate ladder into media/PR/bullshitting on twitter. That sort of logic worked in the past, but these days, even if an employer offered that to me, I wouldn't believe it for a second.

edit: Also being hired same day as the interview is a massive red flag. She must be completely ignorant on how the world works.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 20, 2016

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Krispy Kareem posted:

Is there a reason these SV unicorns stick their low paying jobs in high rent areas? Is it prestige? Yelp could build a call center anywhere and still have a fancy SanFran headquarters.

Yelp BWM.

I guess they're working on it

https://twitter.com/jeremys/status/701094909072150528

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Perhaps working at an online company like Yelp helped her realize "oh poo poo, we don't actually need people anymore at current levels to make the world work." That's the core problem.

This issue is more complex than just moving a call center to a racist desert wasteland where people can only survive the temperatures if they're so old that there nerve endings no longer work. Related to the previous discussion-- negative population growth: bad for pensions and social security, but would be good in nearly every other way.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

UPDATE: As of 5:43pm PST, I have been officially let go from the company. This was entirely unplanned (but I guess not completely unexpected?)
Bad With Money: Posting a wall of text slamming your employer, especially with your real name listed as the author.

BraveUlysses posted:

85% of take home pay goes to rent :laffo: what the gently caress
I know SV prices are insane, but I think that's the point where you take on a roommate or ten.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I think the happiest moment for people who get promoted to director of a department in SF is when they realize they can afford to live alone. They've finally made it, everyone! *jumps and kicks heels together*

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

quote:

majored in English literature

quote:

I didn’t want to become a cliche

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

She must be completely ignorant on how the world works.

That's really what I got from it. I happen to think everyone should get a living wage, even her, but in the mean time maybe try and get a place to live that doesn't eat up 80% of your income.

And under no circumstances should you ever complain about your free, all inclusive healthcare's $20 copays.

Jan 11, 2004

Puppy Galaxy posted:

That's really what I got from it. I happen to think everyone should get a living wage, even her, but in the mean time maybe try and get a place to live that doesn't eat up 80% of your income.

And under no circumstances should you ever complain about your free, all inclusive healthcare's $20 copays.

Yeah I think the problem is definitely that she just didn't look hard enough for a cheaper apartment in the bay area than $1200 with an 80 mile round trip commute

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Yeah I think the problem is definitely that she just didn't look hard enough for a cheaper apartment in the bay area than $1200 with an 80 mile round trip commute

Where the hell does she live? Pittsburg? Dublin? If it's Pittsburg she got ripped off, there are def scarier and cheaper apartments.

Just get a shady roommate in Richmond. $400 a month if you're willing to be white and answer the door when the cops come. I had a client with a three bedroom apartment in San Pablo for $1250 for fucks sake and that's within the last year.

Or rent a room in a safer part of Oakland or el Cerrito or something near the Bart station for $600-900 a month.

The minimum wage life here sucks, but she made every single choice to make it suck more.

Her health care copay is the same as mine as a government employee.

Basically, kill and eat the rich.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
Hip internet news services are picking this up and only viewing it at face value. This is going to get a lot more interesting when a real news agency looks into it and finds out more than just believing the post on medium.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I know nothing of San Francisco housing, but surely there is some situation where you can live for under 600/month and just have a wicked long commute or a ton of roommates, yeah?

I live in Austin, it's expensive too, with bad traffic too, but I live really far away to be able to afford housing. I hate that I lose so much of my life to sitting in my car, but is that feasible in SF?

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I know nothing of San Francisco housing, but surely there is some situation where you can live for under 600/month and just have a wicked long commute or a ton of roommates, yeah?

I live in Austin, it's expensive too, with bad traffic too, but I live really far away to be able to afford housing. I hate that I lose so much of my life to sitting in my car, but is that feasible in SF?

I posted more in the shitshow that is the DnD thread but Mocking Bird's 100% correct and an hour commute + housemates should be totally doable for 600.

400, eh, might also be doable but you'd have a much longer commute/worse neighborhood.

800 and housemates would keep you even in the city (esp. If you're a woman because some women with open rooms only want to share with other women), you'd just have to take the bus a lot. (Your commute would probably still be 45 min or an hour.)

I have no idea why she's 40 miles away from her work.

Jan 11, 2004

Horking Delight posted:

I posted more in the shitshow that is the DnD thread but Mocking Bird's 100% correct and an hour commute + housemates should be totally doable for 600.

400, eh, might also be doable but you'd have a much longer commute/worse neighborhood.

800 and housemates would keep you even in the city (esp. If you're a woman because some women with open rooms only want to share with other women), you'd just have to take the bus a lot. (Your commute would probably still be 45 min or an hour.)

I have no idea why she's 40 miles away from her work.

Ah yes, the American dream of renting a bedroom and commuting an hour while working full time at a profitable multibillion dollar e commerce company. The real answer is to pay employees a living wage.

PS: rent control directly makes this problem worse and is bad public policy

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Ah yes, the American dream of renting a bedroom and commuting an hour while working full time at a profitable multibillion dollar e commerce company. The real answer is to pay employees a living wage.

I'm not saying we shouldn't raise minimum wage (it'll take 2 more years to hit $15, because it has to be introduced gradually, and then be pegged to inflation after that). I'm just agreeing with other posters that have said that there were other living arrangements she could have made that were not 85% of her post-tax income.

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice
http://www.seattletimes.com/business/high-tech-guy-struggles-with-student-loans-medical-debt/

Despite an above-average salary, his financial profile flashed a few warning signs. He had about $27,000 in debt, with little savings for retirement or emergencies.

The 36-year-old bachelor earns about $90,000

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The phrase "medical debt" shouldn't exist, it's barbaric.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Dreadite posted:

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/high-tech-guy-struggles-with-student-loans-medical-debt/

Despite an above-average salary, his financial profile flashed a few warning signs. He had about $27,000 in debt, with little savings for retirement or emergencies.

Hey guys I'm having a hard time saving despite losing $300/month on a house I don't live in and have 20k equity in, also I have about 20k debt.

IDK what to do, cut back on the starbucks?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Not everyone can achieve the American dream in their mid twenties with a liberal arts degree. People may have to work for some time before they reach a level of income commensurate with their dreams and aspirations. Since a college degree is now roughly what a high school diploma was 60 years ago, it shouldn't be surprising that entry level jobs suck.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Dreadite posted:

quote:

“My problem was overthinking it,” Thureen said. Coming up with a simple plan for paying down the debt made the challenge seem easier to achieve, he said.

“It just took somebody to say, ‘Stop ignoring it and do it.’ ”
Lol oh boy. You couldn't come up with selling the townhouse, keeping back some amount for an emergency fund (I'd go smaller than 20k for now - but maybe 20k is total equity, so he'll have some selling expenses, though the article says net profit) and hitting the debt with the rest + more of your income? Oh America.

Jan 11, 2004

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Not everyone can achieve the American dream in their mid twenties with a liberal arts degree. People may have to work for some time before they reach a level of income commensurate with their dreams and aspirations. Since a college degree is now roughly what a high school diploma was 60 years ago, it shouldn't be surprising that entry level jobs suck.

*US GDP increases 35 fold in 60 years, is the wealthiest country ever in the history of the world by a large margin*

*paternal lecture from a baby boomer to a greedy entitled millennial making $8.15/hr* "Look, since a college degree is now roughly what a high school diploma was 60 years ago, it shouldn't be surprising that entry level jobs suck. Not everyone can achieve the American dream of affording rent on a full time income. Now go commute for an hour past hundreds of rent controlled apartments on the way back to your boarding house and think about the life choices you've made."

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Forgot that I'm a baby boomer, not a millennial with a liberal arts degree committing an hour to the burbs with my 250k of student loan debt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

It's definitely harder financially to be a young person now than it was 30 years ago, but on the other hand it seems kind of reasonable to me that some places (e.g. Manhattan) will be unaffordable for a person making minimum wage.

• Locked thread