Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
donut
Feb 4, 2001

My EHX Germanium Big Muff has a voltage knob on the fuzz side for just that reason. It gets real clippy with the voltage turned down.

Ah shoot, just realized you meant batteries. Now I want to see batteries with little knobs on the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
how dumb do chrome pickups in a superstrat look? I'm thinking "not as dumb as i originally thought but still kinda dumb", mostly because of the cringey bleeding cowboys logo.

They soudn pretty mint though, they're the lace matt pike set. The neck pickup is friggin amazing, which is not something I usually say about neck

Thumposaurus posted:

There's people that even go so far when they are building clones of the frankrnstrat that they search out the correct year of quarter that he used to block (or whatever the hell it's for) the trem with.

wait do people building their own frankenstrats actually go that ridiculous level? I thought it was just the fender custom shop run that they bothered to do that for

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Concatenation posted:

how dumb do chrome pickups in a superstrat look? I'm thinking "not as dumb as i originally thought but still kinda dumb". They soudn pretty mint though, they're the lace matt pike set. The neck pickup is friggin amazing, which is not something I usually say about neck

I like it. It's a little monochromatic but kind of classy too.

I like the reversed headstock.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Anime Reference posted:

Some people like the sound of batteries that are starting to run down. I guess you could make boutique batteries that are under voltage on purpose, and then charge 30x as much for them.

better yet just make an endcap adapter to limit the voltage right at the connection, wire in a knob for it

on-demand battery warble

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

donut posted:

My EHX Germanium Big Muff has a voltage knob on the fuzz side for just that reason. It gets real clippy with the voltage turned down.

Ah shoot, just realized you meant batteries. Now I want to see batteries with little knobs on the side.

A few hundred pages back or something in this thread there was even a pedal posted that you were to put in the power chain instead of the signal chain, with a knob to decrease power output from the adapter to the pedal.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Anime Reference posted:

Some people like the sound of batteries that are starting to run down. I guess you could make boutique batteries that are under voltage on purpose, and then charge 30x as much for them.

Rechargeable NiMH AA and AAA cells are ~1.2V, compared to ~1.5V for a fresh alkaline.

So just use rechargeables, I guess.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

fuckin lol

Someone asked in the Wampler Tone fb group today about TONE BATTERIES

doublefuckinlol

The last time that came up I lol'd at them and then Brian Wampler personally yelled at me in another group. It was loving weird as hell. He even bigtimed me with the equivalent of "do you know who I am?"

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The last time that came up I lol'd at them and then Brian Wampler personally yelled at me in another group. It was loving weird as hell. He even bigtimed me with the equivalent of "do you know who I am?"

That's weird he seems to usually be a super chill dude more on the side of logic but y'know everyone has their moments.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

donut posted:

Yeah this is a real thing, and knobs or switches to lower voltage is kinda common because it's shockingly ( :v: ) much more reliable to just use a steady voltage from a non-battery power source that you altered to be lower than to deal with a curve that results from batteries slowly dying.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

That's weird he seems to usually be a super chill dude more on the side of logic but y'know everyone has their moments.

Especially if they're trying to sell something.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Battery chat reminds me that EHX also sells "Vintage Style" batteries. AKA Zinc-Chloride batteries, the cheapest of the cheap "Super Heavy Duty" batteries they sell for pennies at Harbor Freight.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Who the gently caress uses batteries?

lol if you dont have a powered pedal board.

I do have one pedal that has a rechargeable battery in it though. It's a Red Witch Ruby Fuzz or something like that. Decent fuzz pedal. Seems like built in rechargeable batteries should be a standard thing.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yea he is a cool person. We all have our moments. He has certainly been very generous to the DIY folks.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dirt posted:

Who the gently caress uses batteries?

lol if you dont have a powered pedal board.

I do have one pedal that has a rechargeable battery in it though. It's a Red Witch Ruby Fuzz or something like that. Decent fuzz pedal. Seems like built in rechargeable batteries should be a standard thing.

There is some legit debate about the effects of those old Carbon Zinc batteries when it comes to a Fuzz Face or those old circuits where the pedal actually becomes part of your pickup's wiring.That's like 2 or 3 pedals out of millions and the actual tonal effect is frankly negligible at best. Even Eric Johnson backed away from his claims about these tone batteries. It is cork-sniffing bullshit for assholes.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Shugojin posted:

Yeah this is a real thing, and knobs or switches to lower voltage is kinda common because it's shockingly ( :v: ) much more reliable to just use a steady voltage from a non-battery power source that you altered to be lower than to deal with a curve that results from batteries slowly dying.

Bias knobs for germanium fuzz pedals are used to "tune" them since they are so temperature sensitive it affects the transistors' output voltage.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I've used all battery powered pedal boards, mostly for bigger fests, when you have to move you poo poo as fast as possible, setup, dial in an amp, setup our own lights, ect. I hate crawling around a stage looking for power when instead I can just plug and play, and move on to the next thing.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

There is some legit debate about the effects of those old Carbon Zinc batteries when it comes to a Fuzz Face or those old circuits where the pedal actually becomes part of your pickup's wiring.That's like 2 or 3 pedals out of millions and the actual tonal effect is frankly negligible at best. Even Eric Johnson backed away from his claims about these tone batteries. It is cork-sniffing bullshit for assholes.

I have a fuzz face clone with an adjustable voltage sag control that has a modest but definite effect on the sound. I think there are some power bricks which give you the same option. It's not a bias control since there's another version of the same pedal that has that option. So the lower voltage/dying battery sound is a definite thing for those pedals.

For brand new batteries though? I could see particular types of batteries not being able to deliver enough current causing the voltage to drop but it couldn't be by that much. Either that or the battery is so poo poo and draining so fast you'll be replacing it every week.

gently caress batteries in general though. The best idea would be to have a parallel IEC outlet on your amp and plug your board into that.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

The ultimate flat battery riff. Awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZQxH_8raCI

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bill Posters posted:

I have a fuzz face clone with an adjustable voltage sag control that has a modest but definite effect on the sound. I think there are some power bricks which give you the same option. It's not a bias control since there's another version of the same pedal that has that option. So the lower voltage/dying battery sound is a definite thing for those pedals.

For brand new batteries though? I could see particular types of batteries not being able to deliver enough current causing the voltage to drop but it couldn't be by that much. Either that or the battery is so poo poo and draining so fast you'll be replacing it every week.

gently caress batteries in general though. The best idea would be to have a parallel IEC outlet on your amp and plug your board into that.

I'm not talking about voltage sag. Trust me, you do NOT want me to get into this topic as it is full of blathering for no real net gain. Voltage sag is what the bias knobs on the modded Fuzz Faces do. A bias pot can have an extreme effect on the sound.

On your last point, check this poo poo: https://www.walrusaudio.com/collections/power-supplies/products/aetos-8-output-power-supply-120v-230v

Power your amp from your board my dude.

edit: that is probably the best power supply ever if it wasn't for their massive 15-port PS.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 18, 2017

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
That reminds me - I have to upload that video where I accidentally discovered a half-plugged-in patch cable resulted allowed for full audio over power supply daisy chain from one pedal to the next. I wouldn't recommend doing this.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

The stupid never stops

https://www.gearnews.com/gibsons-new-slash-les-paul-models-cost-1500-signature/

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the real surprising thing is how bad their bookmatching still is

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Surely the best way to pay tribute to Slash is to get yerself a nice LP knockoff? No-one cares what the guy played after '93 anyway.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It is stupid, but I do like that color green. If only it wasn't approximately eight billion dollars. And probably poorly made.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I'm not talking about voltage sag. Trust me, you do NOT want me to get into this topic as it is full of blathering for no real net gain. Voltage sag is what the bias knobs on the modded Fuzz Faces do. A bias pot can have an extreme effect on the sound.

Yeah, I'm agreeing with you.

Bias and sag aren't quite the same thing (or maybe I'm using the wrong term). Bias adjustment can make a pretty big change to the sound. A change to the supply voltage can make a smaller but still noticeable difference.

So the 'dying battery' sound is definitely a thing with some old pedals but the idea that a certain type of battery makes a real difference when still fresh is loving stupid. You're paying more for a poo poo quality battery when you could just be saving the dying batteries from your other pedals.

Or you could just use a power supply with a variable supply voltage.

Or just not give a poo poo because the difference is minimal at best.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Is it possible to have an image for a thread title?

It should be.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bill Posters posted:

Yeah, I'm agreeing with you.

Bias and sag aren't quite the same thing (or maybe I'm using the wrong term). Bias adjustment can make a pretty big change to the sound. A change to the supply voltage can make a smaller but still noticeable difference.

So the 'dying battery' sound is definitely a thing with some old pedals but the idea that a certain type of battery makes a real difference when still fresh is loving stupid. You're paying more for a poo poo quality battery when you could just be saving the dying batteries from your other pedals.

Or you could just use a power supply with a variable supply voltage.

Or just not give a poo poo because the difference is minimal at best.

That's what bias is dude. Adjusting the voltage to the transistor source (bjt) or gate (fet) which is what a dying battery would do. With a bias pot you can dial in exactly how much voltage sag a battery would give you.

edit: sorry to be pedantic but I think you may think one concept (varying the voltage to a transistor or tube) is two different things (biasing vs "sag"). The only difference is the circumstances under which the sag happens: One is a dying battery and the other is siphoning off electrons to ground to achieve the same voltage as the dying battery.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 19, 2017

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Sorta. The difference in what I'm talking about is (I think, it's been a while since I was really in to this stuff) changing the voltage at the transistor emitter (bias) and changing the voltage to the entire circuit.

No doubt the effect is pretty similar but a bias control tends to have a more dramatic effect on the sound.

E: therefore reducing the supply voltage has a much less noticeable effect and a lovely battery is in 'why even loving bother' territory.

Bill Posters fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 19, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bill Posters posted:

Sorta. The difference in what I'm talking about is (I think, it's been a while since I was really in to this stuff) changing the voltage at the transistor emitter (bias) and changing the voltage to the entire circuit.

No doubt the effect is pretty similar but a bias control tends to have a more dramatic effect on the sound.

E: therefore reducing the supply voltage has a much less noticeable effect and a lovely battery is in 'why even loving bother' territory.

Gotcha. Yea you can do it in a number of places, you're right.

edit: oh I forgot, the toan battery people were suggesting there is some characteristic that is responsible for their juicy toanz that science has failed to measure because of course they think a Fuzz Face and the Large Hadron Collider are similar.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 19, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I mean they ARE both huge and circular

E: also the thread title should just be embedded video of dumble saying that electrons can't survive in a crystal lattice

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Shugojin posted:

I mean they ARE both huge and circular

E: also the thread title should just be embedded video of dumble saying that electrons can't survive in a crystal lattice

This Dumble quote is my favorite quote from anyone ever I love you.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

"electrons can't survive in a crystal lattice" is genuinely one of the funniest things ever and it never loses its effect.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the best part is it's kind of a correct statement in a much more general sense

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
he sounds like a calm reassuring adult on sesame street when hes saying it too

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Muppets On PCP posted:

the best part is it's kind of a correct statement in a much more general sense

Someone school me on this because I want to unironically drop that quote and then back it up

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

Someone school me on this because I want to unironically drop that quote and then back it up

what he's referring to specifically is a physical property of pure semiconductors where on their own electrons don't move about compared to how electrons flow within a vacuum tube

it's basically the reason why they're used for switching devices (i.e. computers) instead of tubes

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

LOL
http://shop.fender.com/en-US/lifest...gn=gupta_dupont

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

I was thinking "that's kinda neat actually" until I saw the price tag.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I can't cum unless I've given all my money to mistress Fender. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

dupont lighters are all stupid expensive, so this is more "stupid gaudy artisanal bullshit nobody needs" than "stupid music poo poo"

• Locked thread