Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
I'd be happy to bring out some tier 10's to support. I don't play my Yamato unless I'm in a division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Probably not a bad idea. First time I've played it in weeks, so was just impulsively taking it out tonight. Admittedly, battleships weren't really the issue in any of the games, but looking into divisions certainly couldn't hurt.

Also, actually remembered to reattach a Detonation flag after the one incident. Normally just prefer to save them for the next ranked season, and it comes up so rarely regardless I simply don't normally use them on anything else anymore. Still, since I also play Yamato only rarely, and the credit loss is so high if RNG does decide to gently caress you, might as well permanently attach it.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 23, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
If I'm online you have my Zao.

And yeah, detonation flags are for ranked and Tier 10.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
:allears:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Heh, what ship(s) did you cause to poo poo their pants?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

I am not even mad any more.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Hey tell me about the Farragut. I free-xp'd through the second half of the Nicholas to get the discount. Seem's like anti-DD and cap guy, torps are risky attacks of opportunity. Is AP ever a thing for it?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
AP for American destroyers is a thing if you get close to cruisers--under 7 KM, where it'll keep its shell velocity. Then you can get massively repeating citadels on them and make them poo poo themselves in fear.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

DiHK posted:

Hey tell me about the Farragut. I free-xp'd through the second half of the Nicholas to get the discount. Seem's like anti-DD and cap guy, torps are risky attacks of opportunity. Is AP ever a thing for it?

If you get close to cruisers you can nail them with AP. Its really risky but getting a comment from someone when you get 5 citadels on someone in a cruiser in 10 seconds.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

Heh, what ship(s) did you cause to poo poo their pants?

The Kuma that killed me. Got abandoned around the horn at A on Solomon and ran smack dab into 4 ships. Ended up broadside to the Kuma at 2.5 km with depleted tops.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Redeye Flight posted:

AP for American destroyers is a thing if you get close to cruisers--under 7 KM, where it'll keep its shell velocity. Then you can get massively repeating citadels on them and make them poo poo themselves in fear.

at least the non-cleveland ones. I was in a cleve-off and bounced shells going past the other guy <1 km away at < 30 degrees :(

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

pnutz posted:

at least the non-cleveland ones. I was in a cleve-off and bounced shells going past the other guy <1 km away at < 30 degrees :(
The cleveland doesn't have citadels. I shoot HE at it in my Amagi.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

cheese posted:

The cleveland doesn't have citadels. I shoot HE at it in my Amagi.

Its so good if you hit one though, even if completely by accident. I hit one that was going broadside to my Kongo at 8km, the citadel hit did 10k, and the other 2 shots did about 6k. He hid behind a island for the rest of the match.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
If you run into a pink player, does the damage caused to you reset their pink status?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

TSBX posted:

If you run into a pink player, does the damage caused to you reset their pink status?

I think so.

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
place called Cylesborgia,
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
in harmony :roboluv:
Cleveland has 2 smaller citadels located under the guns. They made them easier to hit a bunch of patches ago.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Just got my Yamato - what upgrades are Correct? I imagine a secondares spec would be smart to run?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Redeye Flight posted:

Checks out. I'm not sure if I or the Yorck was more surprised.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

guidoanselmi posted:

Just got my Yamato - what upgrades are Correct? I imagine a secondares spec would be smart to run?

There are generally three kinds of Yamato:

Secondary Build

Concealment Build

Repair Build (Jack of all Trades)

I used to think the third one sounded dumb until I had a game where I did 80k damage to a Yamato in my Udaloi because I had some stupid good luck with the timing on a few fires. I didnt even focus on him that much, he was just a convenient target while I got in range of other stuff.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

TSBX posted:

If you run into one of their torpedoes it actually blows then up :haw:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Burt posted:

If you run into one of their torpedoes it actually blows then up :haw:

I've seen a not-pink Yamato player kill himself by shooting at his own carrier when his health was low. That was kind of a surprise.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Lakedaimon posted:

There are generally three kinds of Yamato:

Secondary Build

Concealment Build

Repair Build (Jack of all Trades)

I used to think the third one sounded dumb until I had a game where I did 80k damage to a Yamato in my Udaloi because I had some stupid good luck with the timing on a few fires. I didnt even focus on him that much, he was just a convenient target while I got in range of other stuff.

Sorry to agonize over this, but guessing the reload speed mod isn't worth the expense of worse traverse. Better to go for secondary reload?

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what
What happened to unified accounts? I still have some internet tank golds. Are they just going full :pgi: on their promise?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Flagellum posted:

What happened to unified accounts? I still have some internet tank golds. Are they just going full :pgi: on their promise?

Premium counts across the board, but it doesn't look like gold/Doubloons do.

EDIT: Is there a special trick to dive bombers? I just got the Zuiho, and so far the DB's seem like hot garbage compared to the TB's.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 24, 2016

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

guidoanselmi posted:

Sorry to agonize over this, but guessing the reload speed mod isn't worth the expense of worse traverse. Better to go for secondary reload?

I've never tried it, but the regular turning speed is so brutal I think it would cause problems.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Devorum posted:

Premium counts across the board, but it doesn't look like gold/Doubloons do.

EDIT: Is there a special trick to dive bombers? I just got the Zuiho, and so far the DB's seem like hot garbage compared to the TB's.

No trick to it. They are in fact hot garbage unless you are a tier 9 or 10 USN CV.

On ships that you have time to set up a run and you think you can hit, you can manual drop them. Usually against BB or CV only. Mostly DBs exist to lay down a fire on someone who just used their repair on flooding or on another DB.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Dive Bombers on my Indy and Ranger are really good at finishing off damaged cruisers, especially if their AA is on cooldown, and they're pretty good at loving up destroyers provided you haven't angered the RNG gods

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Interestingly, while you can indeed citadel someone with dive bombers, it won't actually give you the ribbon. The odds of this happening at anything other than the lowest tiers is likely vanishingly low, but it is possible.

Discovered this the other day in my Bogue when I dropped on a Tenryu, hitting with only one bomb but watching 7500 hp evaporate off it. Not that this saved me, since he was chasing me at the time, but I can't imagine he appreciated it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
You can also detonate people with dive bombers :getin:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Vengarr posted:

Yeah I just had that happen to me in a New Orleans a few seconds ago.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

guidoanselmi posted:

In my experience the reload mod is worth it, the reduced turn speed is barely noticable and in most situations you're still waiting for your guns to reload more than you're waiting for them to turn.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Bobatron posted:

Cleveland has 2 smaller citadels located under the guns. They made them easier to hit a bunch of patches ago.

I found that out the hard way. charged a dd hiding in smoke, only collected one torp and received 10 flags for it :argh:

also I was playing the gnevny and found tier 4 CV torpedoes are that slow you can out-run them :eyepop:

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Okay what did they do to the Clemson to make me an idiot savant in it?

EDIT: On OCEAN for fucks sake...

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Clemson is actually a good ship.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

pnutz posted:

I found that out the hard way. charged a dd hiding in smoke, only collected one torp and received 10 flags for it :argh:

also I was playing the gnevny and found tier 4 CV torpedoes are that slow you can out-run them :eyepop:

Welcome to air-dropped torpedoes. US ones only go 34 kts (aside from Langley, which has 35 kt ones), and IJN ones go a blistering 35 kts so yes, it's perfectly possible to outrun them in certain ships. There's a reason basically every CV captain ever takes Torpedo Acceleration, to boost the speed up to something vaguely reasonable.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
and for the new-goons that are wondering what we're talking about - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWFsXoLlaRI

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Vengarr posted:

You can detonate people with MISSED dive bombs. :getin:

IJN Dive Bombers have better focused accuracy, but most dive bombers dont do much until the US line hits T8. The Lexington, Essex, and Midway's dive bombers do a lot of damage, but are still subject to the same bullshit RNG that is Dive Bombers.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Anyone know if there is a mod or what file to delete to get rid of that horribly annoying heartbeat/go deaf when you get citadel hit on you?

I know I have been hit, my health bar just dropped 50%, I don't need dumb audio gimmicks.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

Welcome to air-dropped torpedoes. US ones only go 34 kts (aside from Langley, which has 35 kt ones), and IJN ones go a blistering 35 kts so yes, it's perfectly possible to outrun them in certain ships. There's a reason basically every CV captain ever takes Torpedo Acceleration, to boost the speed up to something vaguely reasonable.

The counterpoint to that is if you're divisioned with a carrier player that's hot-poo poo and can work out the timings well, you can lock down a ship into going one direction for a while as they strattle the torpedoes. Then they have to decide between eating torps or eating citadels, hilarious amounts of HE, or bogging down for a while and generally sitting with their dick in their hands trying to get the engines going at a good speed.

Granted, this rarely actually happens around me, but it has a handful of times, and it's hilarious when it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Rorac posted:

The counterpoint to that is if you're divisioned with a carrier player that's hot-poo poo and can work out the timings well, you can lock down a ship into going one direction for a while as they strattle the torpedoes. Then they have to decide between eating torps or eating citadels, hilarious amounts of HE, or bogging down for a while and generally sitting with their dick in their hands trying to get the engines going at a good speed.

Granted, this rarely actually happens around me, but it has a handful of times, and it's hilarious when it works.

I remember seeing this from the Jingles videos about competitive wows (I know right), this was the popular cv tactic alongside the speedy empty bombers being used to scout