Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexy_trash
Jul 4, 2008

WH2K IS JERICHO

Jerusalem posted:

What really gets me about this is that it was decent but short, then a week or two later on ECW they have a rematch and basically blow it out of the water with absolute insanity and legit one of my favorite matches of that year.

What match is this? I wanna look that bad boy up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

sexy_trash posted:

What match is this? I wanna look that bad boy up

I haven't watched through the entire video, but I'm pretty sure this is it

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I'm curious about this one, as it's more of a personal preference thing.

What's your biggest pet peeve in wrestling?

For me, there's nothing I hate more than "I don't want to wrestle you - I wanna fight you!"

It was brought about by the Sting/Hogan promo this week, but that's not the first time I've heard it. I find it irritating because I want to actually watch wrestling and saying you're going to forgo that in order to fight the person trivializes the whole wrestling thing.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Jerusalem posted:

I haven't watched through the entire video, but I'm pretty sure this is it

That's the one. Looking back at the New Breed, they were the strangest goddamn stable.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
I liked the one time Bourne wrestled Morrison on ECW. ECW was such an awesome show sometimes.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Writer Cath posted:

For me, there's nothing I hate more than "I don't want to wrestle you - I wanna fight you!"

It was brought about by the Sting/Hogan promo this week, but that's not the first time I've heard it. I find it irritating because I want to actually watch wrestling and saying you're going to forgo that in order to fight the person trivializes the whole wrestling thing.

I might be alone in this, but for me, it's when they build up a non-title match for a challenger to a belt and then have him beaten decisively and never discuss it. It does nothing long term, and doesn't do anything for the champ, because all he did was beat somebody who clearly isn't in his league.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Writer Cath posted:

"I don't like you, but dammit I respect you!"

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Writer Cath posted:

Shoulder into the ring post.

It's not terrible but they do it multiple times on every WWE show and it's not useful for story telling like a hot tag or other commonly use spots.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Shoulder into the ring post.

It's not terrible but they do it multiple times on every WWE show and it's not useful for story telling like a hot tag or other commonly use spots.

It used to be a spot busted out rarely, but I've been seeing it all over the friggin' place recently. I don't know why.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

rotinaj posted:

It used to be a spot busted out rarely, but I've been seeing it all over the friggin' place recently. I don't know why.

I remember there being an episode of Smackdown, I think, where they no joke had the shoulder-to-the-post spot 3 times in a row.

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Throw reason right out the fuckin' window.

Writer Cath posted:

The one thing I hate the most is the "there was a tag, but the ref didn't see it, so he shoves the fresh man back into the corner."

I like the idea itself, but the way it's executed these days drives me nuts. There's a loud slap for the tag, and I guarantee you at some point in the match, the ref will hear a fake tag by the heels, not see it, and be fine with it. If only they executed it better.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Oatgan posted:

"I don't like you, but dammit I respect you!"

Oh this is quite near the top of my list.

Especially since at one time it felt like every Raw after a Triple H main evented PPV would include it.

My biggest pet peeve, if I'm going to think of something I think of in every match but I don't ever say it because it'd be annoying would be how every pinfall is a two count unless a guy is a monster, which means you'll get the "I'M TOO POWERFUL TO BE PINNED YET" spot. It's never a progression of, "You wore him down a little bit for a one count. You wear him down more for a two count. You almost beat him with a 2 and a half. You beat him with a three count." Nope, you could do an armdrag, shove his shoulders to the mat only seconds into the match and it'll get a two count. And continue to get a two count until the finish. Maybe luckily get a two and a half.

My biggest pet peeve, which I tend to whine about every time I see it would be when really skinny guys do power moves. It's extremely backyard. I can't stand it when I see two 160lbers doing lariats and they bump each other like it was death. YOU ARE ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY POUNDS. WRESTLE LIKE IT.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Non-title matches and handicapped matches do nothing for any of the competitors and need to stop.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Handicap matches where a main eventer basically squashes an established tag team (sometimes even the CHAMPIONS) making the entire division look like a joke.

Happened a couple years back with Batista versus La Resistance.

Then John Cena and Randy Orton squashing the entire Raw Roster.

Then Triple H versus London and Kendrick or was it DX versus Murdoch and Cade and bunch of other people that I can't remember because 06-07 was the period right before I stopped actively following RAW and the DX feuds from that time period all ran together and are basically a blur to my memory.

Just shows you how little Tag Team wrestling means to WWE now.

I remember back at the Summerslam 92' buildup show, the main event was Savage and Warrior vs. The Nasty Boys. The whole angle was built around Ric Flair and Curt Hennig pitting Savage and Warrior against other and basically Warrior walked out on Savage during the match, and Savage (who was WORLD CHAMPION at the time) basically got his rear end handed to him by the Nasties (who were a year removed from their Tag Title loss and barely relevant in the Tag Title scene at the point) and LOST.
That was huge for me as a fan because it showed that in the golden era WWF, the tag team division was so solid that even the #1 singles guy wouldn't stand a chance on his own against a midcard team.
Ric Flair wouldn't have stood a chance in a handicap match against the Road Warriors.

But then you come to the point where Batista would look like a chump if he couldn't squash Rob Conway and Sylvain Grenier in less than 3 minutes.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
What's the history of the phrase "SEND FOR THE MAN"?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Shiki Dan posted:

But then you come to the point where Batista would look like a chump if he couldn't squash Rob Conway and Sylvain Grenier in less than 3 minutes.

Are you confusing Batista with Chris Benoit or did this happen twice to La Resistance?

The only time I enjoyed a handicap match with insurmountable odds was Orton/Cena vs. the Raw roster because they were beating up singles wrestlers by working as a team, only for the numbers game to come into play and overpower them.

An established tag team should beat pretty much any singles wrestler. Hell, I remember from one of Taker's VHS tapes a match where he fought two Japanese wrestlers in a handicap match and back then it was the closest I ever saw zombie Taker from getting beaten up.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

DivisionPost posted:

What's the history of the phrase "SEND FOR THE MAN"?
I don't think there's any history.
Savage slapped Torrie for corpsing and it became a Botchamania staple.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Lone Rogue posted:

Are you confusing Batista with Chris Benoit or did this happen twice to La Resistance?

If it happened with Benoit, then I guess it did happen twice:

http://www.profightdb.com/cards/wwe/monday-night-raw-2432.html

quote:

Batista def. (pin) Rob Conway & Sylvain Grenier 02:07 handicap tag

This was part of his Wrestlemania 21 Jesus push, the week before winning the Royal Rumble

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_L_jnkjBak

No-selling! Grenier being so terrible as to not even being able to take a Spinebuster properly despite being a 4-time World Tag Team Champion (and reigning) at that point!
Thinly-veiled sodomy!

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 8, 2011

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Non-title matches and handicapped matches do nothing for any of the competitors and need to stop.

Actually, you'll find that both are valid storytelling devices and if used correctly are quite useful.

This reason they "don't work" is that WWE doesn't use them well.

Kind of like Misawa v. Jumbo in a non title match. Nothing good never came of that did it?

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 8, 2011

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u

rotinaj posted:

Christian has been getting more screen time :twisted:

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

LordPants posted:

Actually, you'll find that both are valid storytelling devices and if used correctly are quite useful.

This reason they "don't work" is that WWE doesn't use them well.

Kind of like Misawa v. Jumbo in a non title match. Nothing good never came of that did it?

Can we agree that non-title matches are really stupid? The champion is supposed to be the best wrestler. If you beat the champion, you must be better than he is.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Mystery Opponent posted:

Christian has been getting more screen time :twisted:

For Del Rio, it's a very effective spot, because it sets up for his finisher. But agreed, a lot of other times, it seems like a go-to spot when someone needs to make a mistake.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Lone Rogue posted:

My biggest pet peeve, if I'm going to think of something I think of in every match but I don't ever say it because it'd be annoying would be how every pinfall is a two count unless a guy is a monster, which means you'll get the "I'M TOO POWERFUL TO BE PINNED YET" spot. It's never a progression of, "You wore him down a little bit for a one count. You wear him down more for a two count. You almost beat him with a 2 and a half. You beat him with a three count." Nope, you could do an armdrag, shove his shoulders to the mat only seconds into the match and it'll get a two count. And continue to get a two count until the finish. Maybe luckily get a two and a half.

I know where you're coming from. I want to say it was Gorilla Monsoon who, all those years ago when I was watching SNME, said something along the lines of "you stay down for a two count because it's an extra second of rest, a second to catch your breath."

It was so ingrained in my wrestling psyche that I sometimes get upset when someone kicks out at one early in a match, like it's a sign of disrespect.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
It's all part of the game of human chess. A wrestler goes for frequent pins because it forces his opponent to expend energy to kick out. The opponent waits until two because that's two seconds he's not being attacked and that moment's relapse can help him regain some of his breath.

... Which he'll then use to kick out. /Zbyszko :clint:

I love Chikara in many many ways, but one thing they do always annoys me. When it's a tag match with technicos vs. rudos, the referee (almost always Bryce for some reason) always turns a blind eye to the rudos while actually getting physically in the way to prevent the technicos from retaliating. I get this is basic wrestling to make you hate the heel, but it doesn't. It makes me hate the referee who won't turn around despite knowing who the good and bad guys are. During the year of the BDK I was half-expecting it to be part of the story that Remsburg would bury the BDK on commentary while secretly helping them win matches and no one suspected him until he Nick Patricked them all after Sabato got taken out or something.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Lone Rogue posted:

Similarly in Boxing, when people get knocked down, regardless of how badly they've been rocked, will "ride the count" and stand up at 8 (the maximum time you've got before you're counted out). I always figured it was the same type of thing.

Down Right Fierce
Jan 30, 2011
How did Ricky Steamboat earn his nickname?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Drewjitsu posted:

Similarly in Boxing, when people get knocked down, regardless of how badly they've been rocked, will "ride the count" and stand up at 8 (the maximum time you've got before you're counted out). I always figured it was the same type of thing.

For me, three seconds is a lot less and prone for error if you try to "ride" a second. Plus you would never ride a count in amateur wrestling.

What this creates is another peeve attached, which is Last Man Standing matches. Instead of a progression, guys will run to a eight/nine count. This would make sense if they did it boxing style to "ride the count" but in wrestling, they act like they took such a critical beating after two minutes they gotta wait eight seconds to get up.

I get the explanation and why Gorilla would explain it as such but it feels more like an excuse for *bad* psychology. I think it would have been much better to train an audience into believing that the signature moves of a wrestler, the big impact moves they relate to the wrestler are the kind of moves that keep a guys shoulders down for longer than a one count and it's all about getting those off to eventually hit your finisher for a three. It'd be nice to see that, especially in today's "kick out of three finishers" era.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Down Right Fierce posted:

Basically, due to his heritage and ensuing facial features (I think his ancestry is Hawaiian and Japanese), Vince & Co. decided that he would be portrayed as Asian, and thus The Dragon.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Down Right Fierce posted:

He somewhat resembles Bruce Lee.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

As far as the "steamboat" part goes, he started his career as the kayfabe son of hawaiian wrestler Sam Steamboat.

His real name is Richard Henry Blood. He very briefly wrestled as "dick blood". I really hope the emphasis was on the second syllable.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Can we agree that non-title matches are really stupid? The champion is supposed to be the best wrestler. If you beat the champion, you must be better than he is.

No. If Champion A is wrestling contender B at the PPV, and you want to sell the PPV by having him wrestle on the go home show if it isn't Non-Title you know that Champion A isn't losing, because he's wrestling at the PPV. If it is non-title then the near falls have meaning because Champion A "could" lose, even if he doesn't. It's about logic and not tipping the finish, in essence.

Also, there have been angles and storylines where the champ has been beaten like Misawa beating Jumbo that didn't hurt the popularity of the title or the champion.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 9, 2011

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Lamuella posted:

As far as the "steamboat" part goes, he started his career as the kayfabe son of hawaiian wrestler Sam Steamboat.

His real name is Richard Henry Blood. He very briefly wrestled as "dick blood". I really hope the emphasis was on the second syllable.

Ricky is in the same company as Roddy Piper when it comes to unnecessarily changing their real names. Not that Richard Blood or Roderick Toombs would have really fit their gimmicks..

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Ah ha ha ha. Dick Blood.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

WeaponX posted:

Ricky is in the same company as Roddy Piper when it comes to unnecessarily changing their real names.

Piper's was unintentional. He was just called Roddy and had bagpipe players accompany him to the ring in his first match. The announcer introduced him as Roddy the Piper for the hell of it and it stuck from there.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm writing a paper on masculinity and I'm doing a bit on professonal wrestling. There was this duo I read about earlier in the year, they were basically there as token gay characters to be mocked by all the other wrestlers but I can't for the life of me remember their names. I've tried googling them but it didn't come up with anything. IIRC it wasn't out right stated that they were gay but it was heavily implied. I couldn't say what they were in since I know next to nothing about wrestling but they were around in the last 10 years or so.

If anyone knows who I'm talking about here that'd be a great help.

e:
Ah! Thank you so much!
vvv

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 10, 2011

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Law posted:

I'm writing a paper on masculinity and I'm doing a bit on professonal wrestling. There was this duo I read about earlier in the year, they were basically there as token gay characters to be mocked by all the other wrestlers but I can't for the life of me remember their names. I've tried googling them but it didn't come up with anything. IIRC it wasn't out right stated that they were gay but it was heavily implied. I couldn't say what they were in since I know next to nothing about wrestling but they were around in the last 10 years or so.

If anyone knows who I'm talking about here that'd be a great help.

That's Billy and Chuck. (Billy Gunn and Chuck Palumbo).

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I think you're looking for Billy & Chuck. I didn't watch at the time, but reading about how they were supposed to have a gay wedding and then WWE wussed out still make me go slightly :psyduck:

efb

Didn't they win the tag championship at one point?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

Didn't they win the tag championship at one point?

Twice.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I genuinely enjoyed Billy and Chuck because I was of the opinion that the two of them were clueless and either weren't gay or were so deep in the closet that neither of them had any idea. WWE actually got some positive attention from Gay and Lesbian Groups for the portrayal from memory, and then they went and blew it in the worst possible way at the "Wedding" by having Billy and Chuck both admit they were not only straight but that they had been deliberately putting on the "gay" act in order to get attention and make more money/be more famous. It was about the worst way that whole thing could have climaxed, and the only redeeming feature of it was the elderly Priest suddenly stopping and declaring in Eric Bischoff's voice,"Did I just hear myself say..... 3 Minutes? :smug:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
There was also the West Hollywood Blondes in WCW, they got changed into Standards&Practices after complaints from all sorts of people.