Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Guess where I'm going on Tuesday :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

My fav thing is despite him literally comparing himself to Hitler there are still people commenting how The Media misrepresents him and you should read his full speech, where he compares himself to Hitler

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

An entire thread about Phili has popped up in D&D recently, and it's 99% Duterte & Company quotes and outrage:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787820

Duterte actually isn't the worst, Teddy Locsin Jr. is.

The thread linked above is full of these horrors.

Trump tweets are kid's stuff in comparison.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

webmeister posted:

RCA

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Philippines :haw:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pilsner posted:

What the gently caress

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

webmeister posted:

webmeister posted:

Nazi Germany? Don't use all of the time machine for yourself!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Pilsner posted:

An entire thread about Phili has popped up in D&D recently, and it's 99% Duterte & Company quotes and outrage:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787820

Duterte actually isn't the worst, Teddy Locsin Jr. is.

Ladies and gentlemen, Teddy Locsin Jr., our envoy to the UN.

Also thanks for linking that thread, will pitch in.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Cool article from Joshua Wong, the face of Hong Kong's democracy movement, on his recent arrest and deportation upon entering Thailand (after being invited to give a talk at Chula):

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/07/thailand-joshua-wong-deportation-hong-kong-demosisto

The article is really masterfully written, it's a political weapon in the guise of a newspaper article that I think is subtle enough to reach across the aisle and make a few converts. Smart guy writing it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-37584747

quote:

A Thai pop star has agreed to change his latest song after people working in the marketing industry said it cast them in a bad light.

"Lost friends because of direct sales" by hip-hop artist Natee "Oui" Eakwichit, tells the story of a man who takes a job as a network marketer and finds himself losing all his friends as a result of his incessant sales pitches to join his multi-level marketing (MLM) scheme, TNN24 news website reports. "I called them but they didn't answer. I met them but they didn't wanna talk," the would-be salesman laments. Released a week ago, the catchy tune with its refrain of "Rich, rich, rich!" has already been viewed nearly one million times on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3QyHCORvWQ

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
So I've spent a bit more than a month in Thailand and Cambodia, and it's been pretty sweet. But I miss just chilling on the beach, so I'm off to Indonesia. Staying a few days in Jakarta while I work remotely. But I have a feeling I won't like it and will probably head out east immediately afterwards. If I can just get some good surfing in, I'll be happy, but don't want to miss the other stuff Indonesia has to offer. It would be cool to see some volcanos, also would be cool to not die. Haven't seen too much written about Indonesia in this thread so I'm just curious what other peoples' experiences were.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Java is pretty chilled out, at least in my experience. I didn't like Jakarta particularly, since there just isn't much there to do as a tourist. We spent a week there and spent maybe 1.5 days sightseeing - I was sick for part of it but my wife & I just worked for the rest of it (we're travel bloggers so it's easy for us to do).

On Java, I'd definitely recommend Borobudur and Prambanan (access both via tours from Yogyakarta, or Jogja as it's known). Get the train there from Jakarta, it's about 7 hours and a nice ride past mountains and rice paddies, and only about $25 USD if you spring for the Executive class (large recliner, power point etc). Jogja also has a few other things like palaces to check out, as well as some cool street art.

I'd 100% recommend Mount Bromo as well - we got a beautiful sunrise over the crater and it was just a magical day (though getting there loving sucked). Access it via Probolinggo in eastern Java; it'll require another train, a local bus and then a chartered bus (one of those dodgy Asian ones that leaves "when it's full, but if you want to go now......:homebrew:"). If you're reasonably fit I'd also recommend Ijen Crater in eastern Java. You hike up to the crater rim starting at like 2am, then descend into the caldera and get to the sulphur vents where in the dark you can see blue gouts of flame as the sulphur oxidises (I think). There's also a huge beautiful sulphur lake in the caldera which you'll hopefully get to see. We didn't as it was too cloudly, which sucked. Access Ijen from Banyuwangi, just near where the ferry connects to Bali. There's also a really good surf spot to the south of here, but I'm blanking on the name, sorry!

Bali is Bali, everything there is set up for tourists so it's very easy to get around and stuff. I'm not a big fan of it myself so I'm hesitant to recommend it, but if you've never been there I'd at least go for a few days and make up your own mind. I think Cenggu and Uluwatu are where a lot of the surfing takes place.

One place I'd highly recommend is GIli Trawangan or Gili T. It's a tiny little party island east of Bali, 100% on the backpacker trail, but the party pubs are mostly in one little strip near the dock and staying 5 minutes away means it's pretty quiet. No surfing here, but there's great diving and snorkelling, as well as beautiful beaches you can just chill out on. We spent a week here and absolutely loved it. It's so small that there's no motorised vehicles on the island at all, just bicycles and horse & carts!

If you're into diving, I've heard great things about Raja Ampat which is waaay out east near West Papua. I think it's expensive and difficult, but if you've got the time/cash/inclination it's apparently out of this world.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Cool write up. So what's the backpacking trail nowadays? I'm not too familiar with Indonesia anyways

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Pie Colony posted:

So I've spent a bit more than a month in Thailand and Cambodia, and it's been pretty sweet. But I miss just chilling on the beach, so I'm off to Indonesia. Staying a few days in Jakarta while I work remotely. But I have a feeling I won't like it and will probably head out east immediately afterwards. If I can just get some good surfing in, I'll be happy, but don't want to miss the other stuff Indonesia has to offer. It would be cool to see some volcanos, also would be cool to not die. Haven't seen too much written about Indonesia in this thread so I'm just curious what other peoples' experiences were.

I spent a weekend in Jakarta for a conference, and I only had about 4 hours to spend doing tourist stuff, but I still feel no desire to ever actually visit Jakarta again. So, good luck with your few days there!

I currently live in Yogyakarta, it's pretty cool, you should definitely visit Borobodur and Prambanan, maybe climb Merapi while you're here. There are tour places in Jogja like Satu Dunia or Via Via that can help you out with those sorts of things. There's other things to do in Jogja as well, so it's definitely worth visiting. Lots of my fellow students here in Jogja have been to Karimunjawa recently, a tiny island north of central Java, and they say it is an incredibly beautiful place that I definitely need to visit. So consider going there as well.

A few of my friends have also said good things about Solo/Surakarta, which is close to Jogja. They have a Batik museum there if you want to learn about batik, I guess. There's also a temple not far from there with lots of penis drawings.

For surfing and stuff, Kuta in Lombok is worth your time. It's not very developed there yet, but there's a good amount of restaurants, and cheap accommodation. And there are beaches with waves for beginners, or murderous waves for crazy people! You have to like pancakes though, every place you stay will give you a banana pancake for breakfast. While in Lombok, you could make a trip to Senggigi as well, nice beach, some decent snorkeling.

I'd also second the Gili's. They're super beautiful, and a good place to go diving or snorkeling. Flores is also a really nice place to dive, from what I've heard, and that's probably where I'll go and get my first few dives done.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

webmeister posted:

I'd 100% recommend Mount Bromo as well - we got a beautiful sunrise over the crater and it was just a magical day (though getting there loving sucked). Access it via Probolinggo in eastern Java; it'll require another train, a local bus and then a chartered bus (one of those dodgy Asian ones that leaves "when it's full, but if you want to go now......:homebrew:"). If you're reasonably fit I'd also recommend Ijen Crater in eastern Java. You hike up to the crater rim starting at like 2am, then descend into the caldera and get to the sulphur vents where in the dark you can see blue gouts of flame as the sulphur oxidises (I think). There's also a huge beautiful sulphur lake in the caldera which you'll hopefully get to see. We didn't as it was too cloudly, which sucked. Access Ijen from Banyuwangi, just near where the ferry connects to Bali. There's also a really good surf spot to the south of here, but I'm blanking on the name, sorry!

Just a quick caveat about Bromo; check the news before setting out for it. Access to the crater area has been closed due to a recent minor eruption. I don't think it was any more than smoke and ash so no damage, but you should just see what most recent conditions are.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
lolol I can't believe he got pressured. Sales is heavily looked down on as a white collar career culturally, generally speaking, and dodging friends who suddenly want to have lunch out of nowhere is a well-worn joke. Like when I give lectures here and there, I can use the, "You know, your friend who calls out of nowhere to have lunch... and has an exciting business proposition to discuss..." and it always gets a laugh. It's like AmWay in the 1970s in America I guess., but it's major insurers and so on. Literally everyone hates that, who would complain!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

There should be a scale crafted for how much money you need to have a great time in a city or place. Jakarta is not really a great backpacking city but if you have money it's pretty good.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
From the Australia thread in GBS

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

XyrlocShammypants posted:

There should be a scale crafted for how much money you need to have a great time in a city or place. Jakarta is not really a great backpacking city but if you have money it's pretty good.
I know some long-term people who like it a lot. About the only major beef everyone has is the traffic and the filth. From what I gather, it's worse than Manila on traffic and Manila is the worst I've personally been in. 4-5 hours from the airport on a bad day. Amazing. That's like what the long-term Bangkok guys talk about from 30+ years ago.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

I know some long-term people who like it a lot. About the only major beef everyone has is the traffic and the filth. From what I gather, it's worse than Manila on traffic and Manila is the worst I've personally been in. 4-5 hours from the airport on a bad day. Amazing. That's like what the long-term Bangkok guys talk about from 30+ years ago.

When you say 4-5 hours, do you mean going to Makati? Because that's totally believable to me despite knowing how close NAIA is to there.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

toasterwarrior posted:

When you say 4-5 hours, do you mean going to Makati? Because that's totally believable to me despite knowing how close NAIA is to there.
The worst I've tried was 1½-ish hour. Not too horrible.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I've been in Singapore for about a week now and I've gotten to say this place is pretty tits. I'd consider signing on to stay for a while if we do another refit in the future.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Singapore is great. Also a good travel hub.

Don't know much about Jakarta. My impression of it wasn't great. It's more chaotic than Bangkok without that oh well attitude.

Heck I can just go to a bigger Chinese city and blow my money. For a city where money makes life great, I like to stick to Tokyo or Hong Kong

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I'm in Manila at the moment and I think the traffic here is worse than Jakarta. It's definitely more intense I think, though they're very similar (eg people just waiting for buses everywhere which stop at the drop of a hat, swerving and shoving everywhere etc). That said, I found the traffic in Bangkok to be unbearable - at least here in Manila they don't do the whole "let's give each direction 5 minutes of green lights" so you end up waiting 25 minutes at one intersection!

If I'd posted last week I would've said Jakarta was my least favourite place on this trip, but Manila has now taken that place! At least in Jakarta people seemed pretty friendly, whereas here in Manila anyone lolling about on the sidewalk you make eye contact with just glares at you :-/

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I was lucky when I was in Manila because of I was with a bunch of nerds and internet people watching dota. We had some awesome food and went to some weird areas without spending much time in the main city.

I really like beef rendang but the places I went to in Jakarta were misses

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN1290R8

"Thailand's 88-year-old King Bhumibol Adulyadej, the world's longest reigning monarch, is in an unstable condition after receiving hemodialysis treatment, the palace said in a statement late on Sunday."

Coup pending

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

toasterwarrior posted:

Close, yeah, just up EDSA in Ortigas.

Not to worry, this has been taken care of uncharacteristically in advance for Thailand.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Say I was planning to go to Thailand in a week, for a month. Should I...not do that?

I don't really know any reason to be worried, but it'd be really easy for me to go somewhere else.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So it looks like I'm heading to the Philippines in January for about a week. In particular, I"m spending 3-4 days in Siargao. Anything interesting to do there other than surfing?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

Close, yeah, just up EDSA in Ortigas.

Alright, this is definitely a lot more convincing then. That whole stretch of road is a nightmare.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Doc Hawkins posted:

Say I was planning to go to Thailand in a week, for a month. Should I...not do that?

I don't really know any reason to be worried, but it'd be really easy for me to go somewhere else.

Because Thailand remains almost completely safe for foreigners during political unrest you basically get cheaper prices and more interesting sights if you go when there's increased hand wringing in the news. I'd personally hesitate to go to, say, the Philippines if it looked like the place was about to go up but Thailand would just become more attractive.

In some way this has been Thailand's regional ace in the hole for the 20th and so far 21st centuries. All the other SEA states are prone to unmoderated political unrest whereas Thailand's has always been buffered in some way.

When your most serious risk is that protestors might close down the airport for a week and you'll have to email you boss and tell him that unfortunately you're going to have to stay in Thailand for another week it's hard to get scared off.

raton fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 10, 2016

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If Thailand goes bonkers, cross over into Cambodia, Laos and then possibly Vietnam and you'll have plenty to do. Cambodia and Laos in particular are culturally (if not developmentally) quite close to Thailand, if sleepier and sleepiest respectively, while Vietnam has a different feel and is much larger, with very large cities similar to Thailand. There's also Burma and Malaysia, of course, then Indonesia and, yeah, the Philippines.

toasterwarrior posted:

Alright, this is definitely a lot more convincing then. That whole stretch of road is a nightmare.
It was also like a rainy payday Friday during rush hour, so of course I make allowances, but that would be almost impossible in similar lovely circumstances here in Bangkok. The Germans built that expressway and the Thai government and corporations learned very quickly that, hey, this poo poo works (and who doesn't love a road contract amirite???). I'm always shocked at how poor infrastructure in the Philippines is - even small things, like the escalators to the MRT are quite often just stairs and clearly haven't worked in years and years. Yeah, corruption, mendacity, coups/popular revolutions, instability, etc, but man. It's not like we don't have these issues up here too.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Just requested the week around NYE off. If Thailand goes apeshit, here's hoping the plane tickets drop to next to free, and I'll be on my way back!

If not, well, guess I'll settle for Germany which I already have planned (mostly).

kru
Oct 5, 2003

ReidRansom posted:

I've been in Singapore for about a week now and I've gotten to say this place is pretty tits. I'd consider signing on to stay for a while if we do another refit in the future.

It's too hot

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Gonna be spending a few days in Chiang Mai in November. Any recommendations on what to do?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Ally McBeal Wiki posted:

Just requested the week around NYE off. If Thailand goes apeshit, here's hoping the plane tickets drop to next to free, and I'll be on my way back!

If not, well, guess I'll settle for Germany which I already have planned (mostly).

The biggest thing you're going to notice right away, if ~It Happens~ is that there will be a national week (month?) of mourning, and non-essential businesses might or might not be open. I don't know how much that might disrupt tourism, certainly Thailand's expats will still be hanging out somewhere talking about what's going on over some beers. Out of respect, real unrest probably won't begin until after that mourning period.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Gonna be spending a few days in Chiang Mai in November. Any recommendations on what to do?

Some nice temples in the city centre, though if you've seen a lot of Thai Buddhist temples already you likely won't see anything new. The one up on the hilltop overlooking the city is quite good.

I'd highly recommend the Elephant Jungle Sanctuary, as a full day trip. You get to feed, wash and mud bath the elephants and they seem to be pretty well treated unlike a lot of places in Asia. And 100% no riding permitted.

If you're only there for a few days I wouldn't bother heading up to Pai, as there isn't a whole lot there aside from backpackers who look like they arrived in 1995 and haven't left yet.

Maybe find a day trip or something over to Chiang Rai, since we both really enjoyed the Black Temple and the White Temple.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
Not sure how I feel about Jakarta. After seeing the traffic from a 1.5 hour drive from the airport, I feel better just sticking to this one semi-residential corner of south Jakarta while I work. The food here is actually pretty good and compared to the (admittedly tourist-y) places I've been to in Thailand + Cambodia, really cheap. Though none of the 3 places I've been to so far have served beer, which comes with its own cost.

Thanks for the advice, this was super helpful. Based on this and what I read on Wikitravel, I think my plan will look something like this:

Thursday - Take the train from Jakarta to Yogyakarta
Friday - Check out Borobudur
Saturday - Check out Parambanan
Sunday - Take the train from Yogyakarta to Surabaya

Once I get to Surabaya, I'll work for a few more days, check out the mountains/nature, then head out to Bali (via ferry?). I'm not sure if I'll be able to get much further east than Bali/Lombok if I want to do some beach lounging and learning how to dive. How much am I missing out by not hitting the entire east side of the country? It's so loving big.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

toasterwarrior posted:

No lie it took me three hours to get to Makati from the airport a couple years ago and when I asked the driver what was going on he said that was a good day for them. gently caress Manila.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Pie Colony posted:

Once I get to Surabaya, I'll work for a few more days, check out the mountains/nature, then head out to Bali (via ferry?). I'm not sure if I'll be able to get much further east than Bali/Lombok if I want to do some beach lounging and learning how to dive. How much am I missing out by not hitting the entire east side of the country? It's so loving big.

Honestly I haven't travelled east of Lombok in Indonesia, so I can't really comment. But aside from Raja Ampat I don't think there's much tourist stuff there. There's the Komodo islands National Park if you're interested in that - you can go and check out the Komodo Dragons which my wife did last year. From memory it requires an overnight boat though.