Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

BigHead posted:

I've never prosecuted an innocent man. One or two may have been not guilty, but none were innocent.

prosecutor.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Really, who amongst us is truly innocent in the eyes of god? I put it to you. *tosses homeless people into jail*

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

BigHead posted:

I've never prosecuted an innocent man. One or two may have been not guilty, but none were innocent.

Boy, that takes me back to my time in the Innocence Project. Last APA I knew that said that shredded exculpatory evidence but didn't shred the memo that told his staff to shred the exculpatory evidence.

He went on to get elected prosecutor in a different county! The system works.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Instead of jumping on BigHead's totally rad paradigmatic shift in what the judicial system is all about, here's a Tell Me:

Tell me how to direct my career to become involved mostly with (civil) appellate litigation. I want to do litigation. And depositions, witnesses prep, discovery, negotiations, settlement, and the occasional trial are all neat and everything (well not discovery but whatever), but that's not what really draws me to litigation. I want to Argue The Law (tm). Like, hunker down in a back room somewhere and spend hours upon hours looking at cold records and drafting briefs about minute points of law, with the occasional oral argument at the end of the tunnel.

Is this something only superstars at superstar boutique firms do? I am not one and I don't have any delusions of working at such a place, so that's cool if that's the case. Do mid-to-large sized firms usually let associates (not baby lawyers) run the case all the way up the appeals process, or are there usually dedicated persons who handle the large majority of the firm's appeals -- even if only in an advisory capacity?

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

DuWay posted:

Partial success story!

Bad news: I am still going to law school.
Good news: Due to years of lurking this thread, I have done what I can to mitigate this being the Worst Mistake to being, hopefully, just a Bad Mistake.

However, I still need to pick a school; that's where I want your guys' advice!

Basically, I'm choosing between Michigan (~38.5k total debt) and Chicago (~73k total debt). I am from Michigan and would probably like to end up working here or Chicago. I haven't really ruled out many options with regard to what kind of job I ultimately want.

$34.5k isn't a small chunk of change, but I am feeling like it may be worth the premium.

Michigan and Chicago are both in the "this is a bad idea put perhaps not a terrible one" tier. That said, the relatively small amount of debt from Michigan makes the overall bad-decision-ometer lean towards "a risk that probably wont ruin me completely and forever" versus Chicago, where the meter stays steady at "this is a bad idea but not a terrible one."

Adding to this, however, is the fact that you want to stay in Michigan. Soothing Vapors and I both have firm jobs in Michigan and he went there. I went to Columbia and it was a triplebitch trying to convince people that I wanted to be in Michigan even though I'm from here because I journeyed out of state for law school. This will probably be mitigated lightly by staying in the midwest at Chicago, but I guess I'd like to emphasize that Michigan is the right choice here provided that you won't be totally miserable in Ann Arbor (and there's no objective reason you should).

One final word - Michigan midlaw firms make for good lives.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Alaemon posted:

Boy, that takes me back to my time in the Innocence Project. Last APA I knew that said that shredded exculpatory evidence but didn't shred the memo that told his staff to shred the exculpatory evidence.

You misunderstand me. They all did it, some evidence just got suppressed so I couldn't quite prove it. We are not texas.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BigHead posted:

You misunderstand me. They all did it, some evidence just got suppressed so I couldn't quite prove it. We are not texas.
This isn't why we're teasing you.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Alaemon posted:

Today I had a DA convince a judge that police officer misconduct (stealing and planting evidence, perjury in a suppression motion, falsifying search warrant affidavits and police reports) has to result in a conviction before it can constitute Brady/Giglio material.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

joat mon posted:

Today I had a DA convince a judge that police officer misconduct (stealing and planting evidence, perjury in a suppression motion, falsifying search warrant affidavits and police reports) has to result in a conviction before it can constitute Brady/Giglio material.

You should see what kind of hosed up process we have to go through for any police officer misconduct records. Check out the "pitchess process." Frequently denied and when granted we rarely get anything but old witness contact info.
I'm certain it violates the Brady line of cases, but no one has taken up to the Supreme Court.
People think California is liberal, but our criminal justice system basically is as "tough on crime" as anywhere.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Feces Starship posted:

Michigan and Chicago are both in the "this is a bad idea put perhaps not a terrible one" tier.

Gotta disagree assuming the debt load he mentioned includes living expenses. I'd probably go Mich if it did, and definitely if it didn't.

Hate to part with the general negativity here, but Mich at 40k TOTAL is not a bad idea. In my opinion, it's a way better idea than Harvard at 150k.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Omerta posted:

Gotta disagree assuming the debt load he mentioned includes living expenses. I'd probably go Mich if it did, and definitely if it didn't.

Hate to part with the general negativity here, but Mich at 40k TOTAL is not a bad idea. In my opinion, it's a way better idea than Harvard at 150k.

Michigan football is gonna be solid as hell next year. Go to Michigan. Big, fun, good public schools are tits.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
I have had an unusually happy life but my four happiest years were at u of m

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Three happiest years here. U of M owns. Furthermore, if you get into Phid House, the experience (and dirt cheap rent) takes it from 'bad idea' to 'would pay another 100K to go again'.

Downside: you're still going to law school.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

nm posted:

Con: Putting people in jail is terrible. Also, prosecutors who brag about wins are really annoying because you're supposed to win.

No jail, so no worries :) More than anything, I'm just relieved to find out that doing trials is something I can do comfortably.

nm posted:

People think California is liberal, but our criminal justice system basically is as "tough on crime" as anywhere

Agree with this 100%, California's criminal justice system is brutal in ways a lot of more culturally right-wing states aren't (although huge swathes of California are also extremely right-wing politically, which a lot of people don't realize.)

New York's criminal justice system is pretty "liberal" though in my experience, at least in comparison to most other states.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Crazy-rear end clients aren't just the problem of small-law attorneys, it seems:

Email from partner this morning: [Paralegal], please print all of [Client's] emails from last night and give to entris. entris, I ask you to briefly summarize these emails.

Me: Herp derp okie dokie.

(I get the hardcopies.)

First email:

Client:

THE SETTLEMENT AGREEMENTS ARE REDACTED AND FRAUDULENT! I SPOKE WITH A COURT CLERK, WHO READ THEM TO ME OVER THE PHONE WHILE I TAPED THE CALL, AND THE ACTUAL AGREEMENTS ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT.

The Key Issue here is whether this Agreement has any Force of Law, and is it or is it not a Valid, Enforceable Agreement. The answer is no. No Settlement that contains a Dismissal "With Prejudice", can be revived on a whim. The Provisions of this Agreement are COMPLETELY OUTRAGEOUS, and represent an Alleged Agreement between [Client] and [Opposing Party]. Never, ever, would [Spouse] and I have agreed to this Agreement.

Just as the "Mandate" in Obamacare is the "Heart" of the Health Care Plan, approved by both the House and Senate Democratic Majority, without reading of same (Obamacare Documents as Revised delivered to the House and Senate fifteen minutes before the Vote); this Agreement is also the "Heart" of the Consolidation of the prior Settlements and Agreements, which has no Force of Law. Even if this were a Valid Settlement, is a commonly known Fact under [State] Law that ANY SETTLEMENT OF A LAWSUIT IS A NON TAXABLE EVENT.

I do know Personally extremely respected Constitutional Lawyers. The "Mandate" fails, at the Supreme Court, barring Political Affiliations, as UNCONSTITUTIONAL. It is not a Tax according to Obama and HOlder, but, instead, it is some sort of mutated violation of Multiple Provisions of Our US Constitution. Under [State] Law, both in Equity, and by Statute, the Agreement Fails to Conform to Multiple LAws and Statutes, both in [State] and [Other State] (Which, in the [Year] Agreement, Retains Jurisdiction literally for Perpetuity, yet, States within its four corners, that For Future, Options are open for [Opposing Party] to bring another Action.)

:stare:

There are like fifteen of these emails, all sent from 5:00 PM through 1:30 AM of last night. It's going to be a long morning.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Whoa . Somebody took the red pill.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

DON'T YOU SEE, THE FOUR CORNERS OF OUR STATE REPRESENT THE FOUR CORNERS OF AMERICA'S FOUNDING PRINCIPLES (LIFE, LIBERTY, PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS, NO TAXES).

Random capitalization always gets me in these crazy person emails. Good thing he knows Personally extremely respected Constitutional Lawyers.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
The only thing I consistently hear about from my friends who went to Michigan is how good the weed is. Which might say more about my social circle than the campus itself, but

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Baruch! Look into leasing shared office space today. DO IT!

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

nm posted:

prosecutors who brag about wins are really annoying because you're supposed to win.

Braggarts are annoying in general, but lmao at the idea that we're supposed to win. I don't know how it is in California, but here we do have tough cases and limited resources.

DuWay
Apr 23, 2007
boom, boom, boom, boom, i want you in my room.

Omerta posted:

Yeah, I had kind of a late edit, but those debt totals include tuition, food, rent, books, and fees. Excludes personal expenses (booze)/tuition increases. For U of M I used a rent total of about ~$1000/mo to be safe (I haven't looked too much into housing, yet) and $250/mo for food (I currently get by on $200/mo, but that's on the west side of the state - I don't know how much more expensive AA is for this kinda stuff).

Unfortunately, it looks like I missed the Phid application because I have been trying to decide where to flush my money by April 15th (Chicago's deposit deadline).

I think I'd be happy at either place during my time there. My trouble in deciding, I guess, is coming from whether Chicago is worth 35k as a safety net (i.e. I am assuming I will be median across the board because I am not that special of a snowflake). Also, I am a fan of Chicago's smaller classes... but it really doesn't seem like U of M would be much bigger even though it is a bigger school in absolute terms.

I feel like I'm overlooking stuff in making my decision, so thanks for offering the no-bullshit input!

DuWay fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 12, 2012

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Agesilaus posted:

Braggarts are annoying in general, but lmao at the idea that we're supposed to win. I don't know how it is in California, but here we do have tough cases and limited resources.

Civil litigators have a preponderance standard, so we win some, lose some. but the noble prosecutor isn't supposed to charge unless he has the evidence to carry his case beyond a reasonable doubt. So unless you are running a 90%+ conviction rate, you are piss poor at either (a) screening or (b) prosecuting cases. Or your cops are garbage.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Or your cops are garbage.
Well, he is in Chicago.

You forgot that they can always give sweetheart deals or dismiss a weak case. I can't force a client to plea on a poo poo case.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

So, uh, bad news. I'm going to Boston University law. The good news is that I got $15k per year off the cost, worked out a deal to avoid room and board costs, and so I'll end up with about $80k debt, all federal loans, which considering that I'm leaving undergrad with no debt whatsoever isn't the end of the world. If I do public service/public interest like I've been looking at, I'll use IBR and loan forgiveness and try to get that down more, but I think I'll be able to swing it.

I do wanna thank the thread for teaching me how dumb an idea this is and getting me to get a lot more serious and a lot more critical about it. I still want to be a lawyer-- I really can't imagine doing anything else-- but I've done as much as I can to minimize the entry costs.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Teddybear posted:

worked out a deal to avoid room and board costs
Could be worse. Good luck.

Just out of pure curiosity, how do you work out a deal for this?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

You don't see this every day...

An actual, elected, currently-serving DA posted:

Prosecutors must be different than any type of attorney. We are not simply advocates, but are charged with a ministerial duty within the criminal justice system. We are duty-bound to seek justice, period. That duty includes protecting the constitutional and substantive rights of criminal suspects and criminal defendants. We must never abrogate that duty to the justice system we are privileged to serve.
To protect the integrity of this office, its dedicated employees and most importantly, our justice system, I have taken quick and definitive action. Pam Kimbrough and Stephanie Miller were terminated last Thursday. Though I am heart-broken over their loss to this office, my decision to terminate them was an easy decision to make. The gravity of their alleged ethical violation [failing to disclose exculpatory change in eyewitness's statement, getting defense to stipulate to the (now) false prior statement, and arguing the false statement to the jury, resulting in conviction for Murder 1] is so great that only one punishment equals their transgression. Additionally, I am forwarding our investigation to the Oklahoma Bar Association and the Oklahoma Attorney General's office to assign a special prosecutor to evaluate the investigation for possible criminal violations.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/content.newsok.com/documents/praterpress.pdf

Though perhaps he had little choice after the trial judge sent a letter to the jurors, apologizing to them.

quote:

A failure to disclose evidence of this nature is inexcusable, and is completely abhorrent to the system of justice to which I have devoted my career...The insult to you, and the time, effort and anguish you put into reaching a verdict in this matter, is equally intolerable.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

HiddenReplaced posted:

Could be worse. Good luck.

Just out of pure curiosity, how do you work out a deal for this?

Thanks, trying to see if they can come up on that in light of another offer I got from Hastings.

That's not with the school, sorry. Should have clarified that.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

joat mon posted:

You don't see this every day...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/content.newsok.com/documents/praterpress.pdf

Though perhaps he had little choice after the trial judge sent a letter to the jurors, apologizing to them.

Holy shitballs. I've been following this for a while, and I've never seen anything like this before.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Omerta posted:

DON'T YOU SEE, THE FOUR CORNERS OF OUR STATE REPRESENT THE FOUR CORNERS OF AMERICA'S FOUNDING PRINCIPLES

lawcube

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Civil litigators have a preponderance standard, so we win some, lose some. but the noble prosecutor isn't supposed to charge unless he has the evidence to carry his case beyond a reasonable doubt. So unless you are running a 90%+ conviction rate, you are piss poor at either (a) screening or (b) prosecuting cases. Or your cops are garbage.

That doesn't even make sense, you can have plenty of close cases involving the ” beyond a reasonable doubt” trial standard. At any rate, good luck remaining employed if you just throw out every case that looks difficult, whether evidence-wise or in terms of arguing about the law itself. Prosecutors and judges (mostly bench trials here) can have different opinions about what constitutes a particular offense, and what is sufficient to establish it.

My appeals record is definitely over 90%, but I don't know about trials. There are too many to count and I don't remember the majority of the smaller trials I've done.

Agesilaus fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 12, 2012

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

nm posted:

Well, he is in Chicago.

You forgot that they can always give sweetheart deals or dismiss a weak case. I can't force a client to plea on a poo poo case.

No, we aren't necessarily able to dismiss a weak case. We can make an offer but we can't force you to take it.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Agesilaus posted:

That doesn't even make sense, you can have plenty of close cases involving the ” beyond a reasonable doubt” trial standard. At any rate, good luck remaining employed if you just throw out every case that looks difficult, whether evidence-wise or in terms of arguing about the law itself. Prosecutors and judges (mostly bench trials here) can have different opinions about what constitutes a particular offense, and what is sufficient to establish it.

My appeals record is definitely over 90%, but I don't know about trials. There are too many to count and I don't remember the majority of the smaller trials I've done.

1. Bench trials are the airsoft guns of litigation. They. don't. count.
e: 1a. Bench trials are the Agesilaus II of kings. OK, yeah, a king, but a LAAAME king.
2. If a state's attorney's appeals record is under 98%, something is seriously wrong. All you have to do is not accidentally concede something and the appellate court will handle the rest.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 12, 2012

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

joat mon posted:

1. Bench trials are the airsoft guns of litigation. They. don't. count.

Don't count for what? Last time I checked, a murder conviction puts a person away regardless of whether it was a bench or a jury trial. Your comment also has nothing to do with my response to the louisiana sunglasses guy.

quote:

If a state's attorney's appeals record is under 98%, something is seriously wrong. All you have to do is not accidentally concede something and the appellate court will handle the rest.

I agree most appeals are a waste of time, but there was a big difference in the complexity of cases I did when I first started in appeals, and those I did a couple of years later.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Feces Starship posted:

Adding to this, however, is the fact that you want to stay in Michigan. Soothing Vapors and I both have firm jobs in Michigan and he went there. I went to Columbia and it was a triplebitch trying to convince people that I wanted to be in Michigan even though I'm from here because I journeyed out of state for law school.
God this is so true. Michigan firms take a bizarrely parochial and xenophobic view of people who went out of state for school. If you have dare to leave this rancid pisspot of a state to pursue a good education, you will be viewed suspiciously, at best. Magna/summa at Wayne/MSU seem to do way better in this market than out-of-state lower-T14 medians, or even U Mich kids who had the good fortune to be born somewhere else

Feces Starship posted:

One final word - Michigan midlaw firms make for good lives.
I hate being a lawyer, but as far as being a lawyer goes, I'm pretty sure this is as good as it gets

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Also, I discovered Drawception this week and my hours are loving tanking

HiddenReplaced posted:

Got relocated to a new office today.

Pro: It's bigger
gently caress you

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 12, 2012

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Soothing Vapors posted:

God this is so true. Michigan firms take a bizarrely parochial and xenophobic view of people who went out of state for school. If you have dare to leave this rancid pisspot of a state to pursue a good education, you will be viewed suspiciously, at best.

You accidentally used the term ”good education” in regards to law school.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Soothing Vapors posted:

God this is so true. Michigan firms take a bizarrely parochial and xenophobic view of people who went out of state for school. If you have dare to leave this rancid pisspot of a state to pursue a good education, you will be viewed suspiciously, at best. Magna/summa at Wayne/MSU seem to do way better in this market than out-of-state lower-T14 medians, or even U Mich kids who had the good fortune to be born somewhere else
I hate being a lawyer, but as far as being a lawyer goes, I'm pretty sure this is as good as it gets

They're right to be suspicious of anyone that voluntarily wants to stay in that shithole of a state. Either they're losers that can't find a job out of state or they're not right the head.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Twenty minutes later and I'm still mad about HiddenReplaced's new office. Im finally starting to understand Patrick Bateman

Agesilaus posted:

You accidentally used the term ”good education” in regards to law school.
Haha

A... a good grumblepost? :ohdear:

gret posted:

They're right to be suspicious of anyone that voluntarily wants to stay in that shithole of a state. Either they're losers that can't find a job out of state or they're not right the head.
Concur

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Twenty minutes later and I'm still mad about HiddenReplaced's new office. Im finally starting to understand Patrick Bateman

I only got it because the managing partner, who is also the head of my practice group, decided he wanted to consolidate our group together. The result of his desire was several unaligned partners / of counsel that occupied offices close to him being banished to empty offices on other floors.

While the office is larger, I am now within shouting distance of all the partners in my group. Oh well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Agesilaus posted:

Prosecutors are supposed to win, because a true prosecutor--note how I don't refer to you personally--isn't supposed to charge people on gut feelings or novel interpretations of the law.

It's also the nature of the criminal justice system. The majority of your cases come to you because the guy did it. Congratulations, you are very competent at winning trials against poverty-stricken knuckleheads who are in fact guilty.

If a case is "close" it's because there is a reasonable doubt, but some poor excuse for a prosecutor has ignored that fact and abused his discretion, wasting the resources of the state in bringing the case to trial.