Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Popete posted:

Just finishing the first Eisenhorn book, already ordered the next one.

This thread title is still very accurate. Dan Abnett rules.

I remember that feeling.

I started with the Eisnehorn omnibus, the moved on to the Ravenor, followed by all the Ciaphas Cain omnibuses available at the time. Picked up Inquisition War because of how highly regarded and unique it was, never finished. Ending up reading the ADB Night Lords trilogy when it was released, finished it in one day.

The Horus Heresy I listened to on audiotape the first few books and then just dropped off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

I remember that feeling.

I started with the Eisnehorn omnibus, the moved on to the Ravenor, followed by all the Ciaphas Cain omnibuses available at the time. Picked up Inquisition War because of how highly regarded and unique it was, never finished. Ending up reading the ADB Night Lords trilogy when it was released, finished it in one day.

The Horus Heresy I listened to on audiotape the first few books and then just dropped off.

Yeah this all started because I read the first Horus Heresy book and was completely drawn in. Then I started the next book but didn't get very far. Then I found this thread and figured I'd give Eisenhorn a shot and it's even better than Horus Heresy was.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
HH is not a good series - BL went for quantity over quality, and it shows. There are a handful of decent books, but, for the most part, it answers all the questions you didn't know you didn't give a poo poo about.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Cooked Auto posted:

Mitchell did write a pair of books linked to the first edition of the Dark Heresy RPG that were pretty decent and a step way from Flashman in space in terms of tone.
But amusingly enough all the characters featuring in the series are the example characters from the core rulebook.

It was also meant to be a trilogy but the third book never materialized as Mitchell stopped writing for GW at that point. Which is a bit of a shame as I recall the series was setting up Enslavers as the big bad.

Innocence Proves Nothing came out in 2009 and Mitchell was putting out Cain books through 2013. Seems more likely that Black Library pulled the plug, like they did with Gordon Rennie's Gothic War books. Presumably they either weren't selling very well, or the BL guys got the word to quit supporting Dark Heresy they way they had BFG before it.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 17, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

jng2058 posted:

Innocence Proves Nothing came out in 2009 and Mitchell was putting out Cain books through 2013. Seems more likely that Black Library pulled the plug, like they did with Gordon Rennie's Gothic War books. Presumably they either weren't selling very well, or the BL guys got the word to quit supporting Dark Heresy they way they had BFG before it.

Gothic War was also p.deece. I read an interview he did with some BFG fansite and he was like "just wait until the third book comes out!" in response to some plot arc question and I'm just like :smith:.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

Oh poo poo that's right: Scourge the Heretic and Innocence Proves Nothing I think?

Those were really good.

Yup, that's them.
I even got one of them signed by Mitchell. :3:

jng2058 posted:

That might've been it. It could've probably had something to do with the DH's switch from Black Industries to FFG or something and GW being weird about not wanting to give that much backing officially because it was handled by an Outsider.

berzerkmonkey posted:

HH is not a good series - BL went for quantity over quality, and it shows. There are a handful of decent books, but, for the most part, it answers all the questions you didn't know you didn't give a poo poo about.

I think the HH series was a victim of its own popularity during the Kirby era of GW where the higher ups saw an opportunity and the authors just had to deal with it and keep going.
The fact they're actually getting close towards the Siege of Terra now in just a couple of books points towards the attitude among the higher ups changing.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 17, 2018

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Cooked Auto posted:

I think the HH series was a victim of its own popularity during the Kirby era of GW where the higher ups saw an opportunity and the authors just had to deal with it and keep going.
The fact they're actually getting close towards the Siege of Terra now in just a couple of books points towards the attitude among the higher ups changing.
Oh, that's definitely the case. Kirby saw that it was making money, so, like everything else, he had them crank all sorts of crap out to make money.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Thanks all for recommendations. I’ve gone with Spear of Shadows by Josh Reynolds - got a relative in hospital and I’m spending a lot of time by the bedside so some good old -adventurous escapism is needed and the AoS setting sounds p cool.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
There are some REALLY good HH books, but most are middling-to-terrible. Most of the bad ones are just retreads and unnecessary to understanding the Heresy arc. This threads super helpful for telling you which ones to read. The dumb 40something book series is actually a really good 15 book series.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wonder how long it will be after the Horus Heresy series ends before they start doing Horus Heresy Kai

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
What I'd like are some Unity books. I mean, any generic post- or peri-apoc fiction would do for the age of strife but I'd like to hear more about what they talk about in that one Thunder Warriors short story (which I liked and thought it was well-written but apparently it was bad and by a bad author? :shrug:). The actual process of unifying Terra.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Owlkill posted:

Thanks all for recommendations. I’ve gone with Spear of Shadows by Josh Reynolds - got a relative in hospital and I’m spending a lot of time by the bedside so some good old -adventurous escapism is needed and the AoS setting sounds p cool.

I still can't ever see myself reading a Age of Sigmar novel. Not to cast shade on your tastes, it's just a combination of loving the Old World/total disinterest in Trademark World.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Moose-Alini posted:

There are some REALLY good HH books, but most are middling-to-terrible. Most of the bad ones are just retreads and unnecessary to understanding the Heresy arc. This threads super helpful for telling you which ones to read. The dumb 40something book series is actually a really good 15 book series.

Isn't the typical recommendation something like "Read the first 3 books, then skip around and only read the ones by certain authors"

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Goddamit, if I had to suffer through the Battle for the Abyss and all those Salamander/Dark Angel books, so should everyone else.:colbert:

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 18, 2018

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
Looks like they are finally going to begin the siege.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/08/18/18th-aug-warhammer-fest-europe-live-bloggw-homepage-post-1fw-homepage-post-1/

quote:

The Buried Dagger
After 12 years, more than 50 books and loads of short stories and audio dramas, the Horus Heresy series is coming to an end, making way for the Siege of Terra – a new set of books that will follow the greatest conflict mankind has ever known in more detail than ever before.

The final book of the Horus Heresy series before the siege will be The Buried Dagger – a tale of betrayal, woe and the final, tragic collapse of the Death Guard. This moment has been a pivotal and iconic part of Horus Heresy lore for decades, and we’re incredibly excited to finally hear the full story.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

They gave it to James Swallow, he of the terrible original Blood Angels books. :rip:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

quote:

a new set of books that will follow the greatest conflict mankind has ever known in more detail than ever before.

There is absolutely no good reason* that the Siege of Terra should be any longer than a trilogy.

Anyone care to guess how many books they're actually going to drag this out for?

I'm going to guess 6. Old BL management it would have been at least 10, but I'm feeling optimistic.

*I know. Money

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
ADB said that the end isn't as far away as people might think. He said it's more than 3 novels but not by a lot.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Senjuro posted:

ADB said that the end isn't as far away as people might think. He said it's more than 3 novels but not by a lot.

Yeah I assumed they said “set” rather than “series” deliberately

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Pendent posted:

They gave it to James Swallow, he of the terrible original Blood Angels books. :rip:

Fucks sake, it was my forlorn hope than when it finally got to the home stretch of the series BL would've realised it was best left in the hands of their a tier writers Abnett, ADB, Wraight, even McNeil has his moments.

Nothing good jumps to mind when I think of books written by Swallow :eng99:

Next they'll announce gav Thorpe's writing the next one :negative:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Here at GW we realised we needed the best to give The Siege of Terra! the climax it deserves. That's why we've spared no expense and hired Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert to give the Horus Heresy the ending it deserves.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Speaking of, I realized I had a bunch of the early Heresy titles lying around on my reader and randomly (checking later on Google apparently very wrongly) thought Horus Rising would be a good place to start, but I just wanted to voice my appreciation for the fact that literally the third chapter is about "Oh by the way, the Imperium? Space Nazis as fuuuuuuuuck."

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I was there, the day horus slew the emperor.

What a great loving opening line

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wait, why is the first book in the series not the best place to start? That was written back when the series was supposed to be... What, 9 or 10 books in length?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Being an awful nerd I would prefer to read them chronologically, but at the same time I'd also like to not read the impossibly poo poo ones.

Since it's 40K I figure 1 of 2 ain't bad, I haven't dipped my brain in schlock in a bit and boy does HH have that in spades.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 19, 2018

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

dont treat horus heresy as a series
50 books ain't a series
its just a different milieu where things happen

you read 30k the same way you read 40k, which is to say that you read the abnett, ADB and wraight books, provisionally maybe some McNeill, and otherwise skip it until or unless you get a good recommendation

Orv
May 4, 2011
Nah gently caress th-

PupsOfWar posted:

50 books ain't a series

Come again? I think last time I checked there were like 15 which I was down with, jesus loving christ. So noted, thanks.

E: Also unfamiliar with Wraight, is he the new ADB "oh poo poo they hired an actual writer" sort of deal?

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 19, 2018

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Waroduce posted:

I was there, the day horus slew the emperor.

What a great loving opening line

That caught my attention the first time around as well, but to be fair, if you know nothing about 40k, that line isn't a spoiler because of the following development with the fake Emperor that killed Sejanus (?).

It's just hamfisted foreshadowing

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I really enjoyed it espc because I was familiar with lore. I was like oh poo poo this is after the heresy? Are we working backwards? Wow what POV is this that the speaker was there. I was pretty stoked and I didn't mind the ham-fisted part. Plus I gotta imagine anyone reading the heresy is familiar with the story

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Yeah, I enjoyed it because the mournival also joked about it, iirc

What annoyed me was the RAPID plot descent of horus and even faster ostracizing of Loken over the course of only a couple of chapters that really could have used a lot more foundation. Hell, they could have easily spent two more books on that, and instead, it was just some quick "Chaplain Erebus had the ear of the warmaster and became a trusted advisor, lol RIP warmaster" inside a single book

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Ian Watson's Inquisition Wars: good, actually?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

Ian Watson's Inquisition Wars: good, actually?

I enjoyed it but might be rose colored goggles. His depiction of the Emperor is one of my favorite though

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm currently rereading it (after 15+ years) and loving it.

There's a lot of stuff I missed the first time. It's from the wild west of 40k before everything was rigidly defined, but that's part of the charm.

Interestingly, here is a Blanche illustration of Jaq, Obspital, and the Harlequin Man:

Sean Connery from Red October isn't the look I imagined for Jaq, but it works.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

moths posted:

I'm currently rereading it (after 15+ years) and loving it.

There's a lot of stuff I missed the first time. It's from the wild west of 40k before everything was rigidly defined, but that's part of the charm.

Interestingly, here is a Blanche illustration of Jaq, Obspital, and the Harlequin Man:

Sean Connery from Red October isn't the look I imagined for Jaq, but it works.

wasnt their some inquisitor named Sherlock obi-wan or something.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That was the inquisitor from the RT book. It was kind of dumb.

Ian Watson is much better at doing cool things.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wasnt their some inquisitor named Sherlock obi-wan or something.

Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau - the brightest star in the imperium’s constellation of heroes

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

Speaking of, I realized I had a bunch of the early Heresy titles lying around on my reader and randomly (checking later on Google apparently very wrongly) thought Horus Rising would be a good place to start, but I just wanted to voice my appreciation for the fact that literally the third chapter is about "Oh by the way, the Imperium? Space Nazis as fuuuuuuuuck."

But Horus Rising is one of the good books? I thought the consensus was Dan Abnett books were always worth reading.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Popete posted:

But Horus Rising is one of the good books? I thought the consensus was Dan Abnett books were always worth reading.

Horus Rising is good but exemplifies Abnett's issues with pacing. And in a 50 book series that is otherwise incredibly slow and overbaked, it's quite clear that the book skims over a time period that deserves more attention. In retrospect, it's obvious that Horus Rising was written as the beginning of perhaps a trilogy. It's unfortunate that we see so little of the Great Crusade or Horus' fall, especially when later authors spend multiple books rehashing the beginning of the betrayal over and over from the perspectives of different chapters. Abnett sort of remedies this later with books that are set far enough away from the uprising that they're able to show more of Great Crusade and explore different ideas, but he's already trapped into that framework. And Horus going from frustrated do-gooder to evil despot in the course of a single fever dream is absurd and forever taints a crucial character.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 19, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011

Popete posted:

Kaal posted:

Horus Rising is good but exemplifies Abnett's issues with pacing. And in a 50 book series that is otherwise incredibly slow and overbaked, it's quite clear that the book skims over a time period that deserves more attention. In retrospect, it's obvious that Horus Rising was written as the beginning of perhaps a trilogy. It's unfortunate that we see so little of the Great Crusade or Horus' fall, especially when later authors spend multiple books rehashing the beginning of the betrayal over and over from the perspectives of different chapters. Abnett sort of remedies this later with books that are set far enough away from the uprising that they're able to show more of Great Crusade and explore different ideas, but he's already trapped into that framework. And Horus going from frustrated do-gooder to evil despot in the course of a single fever dream is absurd and forever taints a crucial character.

Having finished it last night Kaal is pretty much spot on on its issues. It's a cool book as an intro to 30K, characters I've nominally only seen as bad guys being viewed through the lens of Abnett's (generally pretty good) SM writing. That said, it falls apart in a couple critical places, and has some not quite questionable but definitely unpleasantly stupid character bits.

At some point though the reality is that all 30/40K/WHF novels are some level of schlock, and as long as it's not aggressively, offensively bad (hello Gav) then I'm probably going to enjoy just reading about more Space Marine poo poo. :shrug: I'm easy.

Orv fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

imho Horus Rising does a good job of putting Horus on the path toward rebellion, while the next two books do a bad job of transitioning him from rebellious to Evil.

At the end of Horus Rising, Horus is...I don't want to say a good guy, but about as good as a guy can be when he has spent most of his life yoked to the sinister ambitions of the Emperor. By the end of False Gods, he's massacring civilians, destroying whole civilizations for the sake of political maneuver, and commanding the assassination of loyalist Army commanders. By the end of Galaxy in Flames, he's butchering his own sons and plotting the Drop Site Massacre.

The Interex incident is cool because it breaks down Horus's sense of martial loyalty. You see Horus attempting to defy his father's doctrinal evil and break the cycle of violence represented by the Compliance process. You see him fail at this, largely as a result of his father's refusal to share vital information or prepare the Primarchs for any non-warlike existence. This produces immense self-doubt and doubt in the institutions that created him. Great recipe for violence, there. Horus, being a freer thinker than most of his brothers, would naturally start thinking of rebellion once liberated from the myth of the Emperor's infallibility.

The way this could have worked is that Horus should have initiated a well-intentioned, secular, and justified rebellion against his father, then turned to the Chaos Gods in desperation as war broke out and he suffered some initial setbacks at the hands of the loyalist Primarchs. Especially if some of those setbacks involved particularly brutal loyalist forces like the Rout or the Iron Hands escalating the conflict.

Horus could have started out with some more limited rebellious goal (forming a breakaway state maybe?) and then been forced into total war when it became clear that the Emperor's megalomania would never allow this.

He should not have immediately jumped to "I hate my father, therefor I will kill him, become the new Emperor, and kill any of my brothers who support him".

I understand one issue is that the Drop Site Massacre is a definitive heel-turn moment, and was preestablished in canon. But they could have retconned that to happen later, or had it arranged by Lorgar and maybe Kurze without Horus's involvement.

Popete posted:

its good
the guy you quoted is saying it's good

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 19, 2018