Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Droo posted:

It's definitely harder financially to be a young person now than it was 30 years ago, but on the other hand it seems kind of reasonable to me that some places (e.g. Manhattan) will be unaffordable for a person making minimum wage.

Does Manhattan also not need check out operators, retail assistants and street cleaning etc? If people on minimum wage aren't living nearby, chances are they can't afford the commute from a more affordable area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Forgot that I'm a baby boomer, not a millennial with a liberal arts degree committing an hour to the burbs with my 250k of student loan debt.

*cost of college increases 15 fold or more since 1960, demand for graduate degrees and other paper resume qualifications increases relentlessly*

*paternal lecture from baby boomer* "you should have thought about paying back all that debt before you borrowed so much to go to college"

Jan 11, 2004

Tamarillo posted:

Does Manhattan also not need check out operators, retail assistants and street cleaning etc? If people on minimum wage aren't living nearby, chances are they can't afford the commute from a more affordable area.

Of course they can't. The solution to this problem in Manhattan is a heavily tax subsidized transit authority that runs deep in the red combined with tons of tax subsidized public housing in the far flung metro in order to keep the minimum wage for necessary service jobs comfortably low for business owners in Manhattan.

E:VVV the cost of operating the NYC MTA is about twice the cost of the ticket price

BEHOLD: MY CAPE fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 22, 2016

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Tamarillo posted:

Train fare is $2.75 and there's three perfectly good outer boroughs to live in.

BACK IN MY DAY IT WAS A BUCK FIFTY

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Not that it's much cheaper to live in the outer boroughs either, and out here in the burbs it's almost as bad.

You'd need roommates but it's definitely possible. I'm not saying that's the way it should be, but it's possible.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

It'd be really nice if every major city had NYC levels of public transit. I'd be happy to pay lots more in taxes for it. I hate driving.

Please turn that statement into a "he's a baby boomer" sentence.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It'd be really nice if every major city had NYC levels of public transit. I'd be happy to pay lots more in taxes for it. I hate driving.

Please turn that statement into a "he's a baby boomer" sentence.

Yeah I bet back in your day they still used tokens, baby boomer

I don't travel all that much, but when I do, one of the things I enjoy doing is imagining NYC's ridership in other city's public transportation systems and how it would be absolutely crushed.

And on the corporate BWM front, there was a pretty good article that touched on some horrible wasteful spending on the MTA's behalf from, what seems to me, abysmal project management. It's also super long so don't bother reading it unless you like trains or wonder why we don't have systems that other cities take for granted.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/11/why-dont-we-know-where-all-the-trains-are/415152/

e: The short of it is that there's a system that could save money and improve efficiency by automating trains but it requires an ungodly amount of work to be done. Then every time they try to deploy something, it goes horribly over budget and past schedule because the contractor who got hired to do it has no loving clue what they're doing. And since they're the lowest bidder, the MTA keeps going back to them. And they keep loving things up and going over budget.

The MTA also has some questionable requirements out of the project that's making it needlessly complicated and expensive.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 22, 2016

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Droo posted:

It's definitely harder financially to be a young person now than it was 30 years ago, but on the other hand it seems kind of reasonable to me that some places (e.g. Manhattan) will be unaffordable for a person making minimum wage.

Manhattan is home to hundreds of thousands of people who live in poverty.

NY Times posted:

The top 5 percent of households earned $864,394, or 88 times as much as the poorest 20 percent, according to the Census Bureau’s American Community Survey, which is being released Thursday and covers the final year of the Bloomberg administration.

If you do the math there, hoseholds in that bottom quintile are earning $9,800 a year or less.

Going beyond the demography: why is it reasonable that there should be places in America that require service workers to commute an hour plus? How did that become a foregone conclusion?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

why is it reasonable that there should be places in America that require service workers to commute an hour plus? How did that become a foregone conclusion?

c...capitalism is bad?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Going beyond the demography: why is it reasonable that there should be places in America that require service workers to commute an hour plus? How did that become a foregone conclusion?
M-m-my neighborhood's ch-ch-character!! basically sums it up.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I would like to point out that it takes an hour to get across San Francisco itself on public transit in traffic, and San Francisco is seven miles wide.

Richmond is an affordable city on the local subway line that is 18 miles away from SF. El Cerrito, West and East Oakland, Hayward and Fremont also all have more affordable housing options. All of them are blindingly expensive compared to the Midwest, but as a single person she could get by.

Bayview-Hunter's Point is a neighborhood inside of San Francisco that has rooms currently for rent for $900 a month. (Not that I'd choose to live there)

The minimum wage should be higher. The rent is still out of control. I'm making a good wage and can only afford two bedrooms through rent control, and can't afford to move. All the new construction is luxury housing with near zero family units. gently caress people underpaying the service industry, gently caress importing service workers, gently caress pushing people to the edge. But this particular woman COULD NOT HAVE MADE DUMBER CHOICES about living on a low wage in the Bay Area.

Rage against the machine without taking a service job to springboard your media career and then complain about needing credit cash advances. Jesus.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

If you do the math there, hoseholds in that bottom quintile are earning $9,800 a year or less.

Even if everyone who wanted to live in manhattan right now received manhattan rent-sized stipends each month, it would not be sufficient to house all of them. At some point society still has to decide how to determine who is worthy and who gets to go scratch. Right now it's done via who has the most money, which doesn't seem great, but I haven't thought of any alternative either. Everyone who wants to live in manhattan has to fill out an application with essays about how their unique charm will improve the city's character?

There's other things that can be done on the supply-side to relieve the housing shortage somewhat but like, it's an island with only so much space on it, at some point you still have to address the "more people want to live here than could possibly fit" issue.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

No greater example of the trickle up effect. If trickle down worked with the amount of money in Manhattan every homeless person would have a heaped plate of pure cocaine.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Everyone who wants to live in manhattan has to fill out an application with essays about how their unique charm will improve the city's character?

Well, that would give a leg up to the recent-grad English majors.

Devian666 posted:

If trickle down worked with the amount of money in Manhattan every homeless person would have a heaped plate of pure cocaine.

What about the straw men? Do they get cocaine too?

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 22, 2016

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

There's other things that can be done on the supply-side to relieve the housing shortage somewhat but like, it's an island with only so much space on it, at some point you still have to address the "more people want to live here than could possibly fit" issue.
Eh, you could fit way, way more people on Manhattan if you wanted to. Just take a look at the 3D view on google maps sometime, only a relatively small portion of the island actually has really tall buildings, most of it looks low/mid-rise. And of course that's even more true of Brooklyn, Queens, and whatever you call the part of NJ adjacent to Manhattan.

One problem with fitting in more people is that the NYC subway is strained to its limits, but from what I've read that seems to be more of an issue of ancient tech limiting how closely they can run trains together rather than just not having enough lines.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Craptacular posted:

What about the straw men? Do they get cocaine too?

Straw men are the Dr Rockso of plates of cocaine.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Cicero posted:

Eh, you could fit way, way more people on Manhattan if you wanted to. Just take a look at the 3D view on google maps sometime, only a relatively small portion of the island actually has really tall buildings, most of it looks low/mid-rise. And of course that's even more true of Brooklyn, Queens, and whatever you call the part of NJ adjacent to Manhattan.

One problem with fitting in more people is that the NYC subway is strained to its limits, but from what I've read that seems to be more of an issue of ancient tech limiting how closely they can run trains together rather than just not having enough lines.
I'm not claiming it's at truly at capacity - I certainly don't know enough to claim that. More tall buildings with affordable housing are certainly in order. Maybe there's even enough space to house everyone who wants to move there for fifty years, but then the problem is back after that because you still haven't truly figured out how to decide who gets housing and who doesn't. It's pretty hard to come up with anything that isn't "who has money" or some proxy for that.

There's tons of scaling problems besides the subways, the infrastructure required for things like trash collection, water, electricity, etc is pretty nuts.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Not everyone who owns there has any interest in living there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/26/realestate/pieds-terre-owners-dominate-some-new-york-buildings.html

quote:

In a three-block stretch of Midtown, from East 56th Street to East 59th Street, between Fifth Avenue and Park Avenue, 57 percent, or 285 of 496 apartments, including co-ops and condos, are vacant at least 10 months a year. From East 59th Street to East 63rd Street, 628 of 1,261 homes, or almost 50 percent, are vacant the majority of the time, according to data from the Census Bureau’s 2012 American Community Survey.

I've seen estimates as high as 1/3rd of Manhattan below 59th street being vacant. But the rental vacancy rate is under 1%. Does anything seem wrong with this picture to you?

There's a lot more going on in labor economics and housing policy than just "gee city centers are expensive." Trivializing people's lovely commutes and accusing low-wage workers of being idiots doesn't get us anywhere.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I'm not claiming it's at truly at capacity - I certainly don't know enough to claim that. More tall buildings with affordable housing are certainly in order. Maybe there's even enough space to house everyone who wants to move there for fifty years, but then the problem is back after that because you still haven't truly figured out how to decide who gets housing and who doesn't. It's pretty hard to come up with anything that isn't "who has money" or some proxy for that.
I don't think this is a serious issue just because there's a finite number of people who want to be in NYC. The US' population is projected to plateau at 400 million or something, right? So we're looking at 25% overall population growth left, even if it's disproportionately concentrated in major cities, at most we'd probably see NYC doubling, and there's clearly enough space for it to grow several times over. Which would be pretty cramped, but on the other hand dense living is very environmentally friendly! :v:

quote:

There's tons of scaling problems besides the subways, the infrastructure required for things like trash collection, water, electricity, etc is pretty nuts.
Yeah that's true, but those are hardly unsolvable problems. Heck, Paris' population density is about 2x NYC's and it seems to work fine.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Paris totally smells like piss tho

Jan 11, 2004

I don't think that everyone who wants to live in Manhattan should be entitled to do so, I just think the government shouldn't be in this weird multibillion dollar business of subsidizing Manhattan with taxpayer funded subways, endless tracts of public housing, and market distorting rent control.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I don't think that everyone who wants to live in Manhattan should be entitled to do so, I just think the government shouldn't be in this weird multibillion dollar business of subsidizing Manhattan with taxpayer funded subways, endless tracts of public housing, and market distorting rent control.
IIRC if you look at tax revenue and spending, it's actually the dense urban areas like Manhattan that subsidize the poor rural areas.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 22, 2016

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
We could have cheap housing, then have people stand in line to see who gets that housing.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Oh no not the market distortions those are just terrible :ohdear:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Foma posted:

We could have cheap housing, then have people stand in line to see who gets that housing.
This is what Stockholm does. Getting an apartment in the city means waiting for more than a decade.

Xyven posted:

They are pretty bad, yeah, because then you end up in a SF-esque position where people who got in early make out like bandits while people who are forced to pay market rates are screwed because of reduced supply, or you end up like Stockholm where you just have to wait in line for years and years to get anything.

Jan 11, 2004

Xyven posted:

They actually are bad and make housing problems worse for the benefit of a relative few. In addition to rewarding seniority of tenure over actual need rather than, you know, the stated purpose of maintaining housing affordability, they push marginal housing units off the market because controlled rent or extremely slanted tenant rights makes banging the walls out and selling a luxury loft a much more attractive proposition, or because people don't want a permanent, virtually impossible to evict tenant living in their basement for a few hundred dollars a month. Then there is urban decay when building rents don't increase with the actual cost of goods and services required for upkeep. Then there are the perverse incentives to never move for any reason, even if you get a new job in a far away different part of town, your family situation changes, or even if you don't really live in your apartment most of the time, all of which create inefficiency and worsen housing shortages.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 22, 2016

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

They actually are bad and make housing problems worse for the benefit of a relative few. In addition to rewarding seniority of tenure over actual need rather than, you know, the stated purpose of maintaining housing affordability, they push marginal housing units off the market because controlled rent or extremely slanted tenant rights makes banging the walls out and selling a luxury loft a much more attractive proposition, or because people don't want a permanent, virtually impossible to evict tenant living in their basement for a few hundred dollars a month. Then there is urban decay when building rents don't increase with the actual cost of goods and services required for upkeep. Then there are the perverse incentives to never move for any reason, even if you get a new job in a far away different part of town, your family situation changes, or even if you don't really live in your apartment most of the time, all of which create inefficiency and worsen housing shortages.

The counter argument is probably London. No rent control, crazy prices to the point the govt has to pay part of peoples rent so people can actually live their. Basically you're just changing who gets the govt dollars.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

The counter argument is probably London. No rent control, crazy prices to the point the govt has to pay part of peoples rent so people can actually live their. Basically you're just changing who gets the govt dollars.

London isn't a counter argument though. Subsidizing rent has the same effect as rent control. Both policies raise demand while supply keeps constant. In the end the result is exactly the same which is exorbitant prices.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

lostleaf posted:

London isn't a counter argument though. Subsidizing rent has the same effect as rent control. Both policies raise demand while supply keeps constant. In the end the result is exactly the same which is exorbitant prices.

on the other hand rents are sticky so the moment those supports are gone you just screwed a ton of people in the name of market efficiency

there's probably a good argument to be made that rent control favors people who are going to live there a while and contribute to the community, much like home ownership does

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Of all the derails this is one of the better ones so I apologize for interjecting a little BWM into our D&D

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/46vhn9/married_to_disabled_wife_35_yrs_old_i_make_28k_a/

35 years old and supporting a disabled wife on $28k/yr. Spends more than 15% of his take-home on cell phones, cable and internet. lovely situation but come on. He seems to be receptive to the advice of cutting those costs but I'm not sure how he couldn't come to that particularly conclusion himself.

I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.

Shipon posted:

there's probably a good argument to be made that rent control favors people who are going to live there a while and contribute to the community, much like home ownership does

What exactly does it mean to "contribute to the community", and how does rent control encourage that? Do places with higher rent control have a greater amount of civic engagement? Does rent control even increase average tenure? These and many other questions would need to be answered before a "good" argument could be made.

Also, you'll most likely find that anybody who opposes rent control on economic grounds also opposes home ownership subsidies for the same reason. Economists of all stripes think the mortgage tax credit is kinda dumb and counterproductive. It costs the government a ton of money every year, with dubious benefits. Most subsidies are BWM for governments.

I Like Jell-O fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 22, 2016

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Barry posted:

Of all the derails this is one of the better ones so I apologize for interjecting a little BWM into our D&D

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/46vhn9/married_to_disabled_wife_35_yrs_old_i_make_28k_a/

35 years old and supporting a disabled wife on $28k/yr. Spends more than 15% of his take-home on cell phones, cable and internet. lovely situation but come on. He seems to be receptive to the advice of cutting those costs but I'm not sure how he couldn't come to that particularly conclusion himself.

I'm a little surprised no one at least defended the internet and cable bills. His wife can't leave the house and throws up everywhere and now she has to lose her internet and cable? The phones can be ditched though. A housebound person doesn't need a smartphone and you can't really use them while teaching at school.

For more lovely situations:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/46zujs/parents_overusing_my_personal_finances/

Poor kid has been handing 100% of his paycheck to his parents for 2 years and they won't even let him buy new work pants and he sleeps on an air mattress. Now they want him to take out loans for them and charge $950 a month for his room/board. It's not even his parents, but his brother who became his legal guardian when he was five.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Manhattan is a weird place, with only the very rich and the very poor. The very rich can afford the rents/apartment prices. The very poor live in social housing, homeless shelters and the street. As well as poor elderly folk who got a rent controlled apartment in 1970 and never moved. You just don't find any schoolteachers, firefighters, police, receptionists, etc. It's a place without the middle.

This creates some odd effects like a public school where almost everyone qualifies for free school meals on a street of millionaire's apartments (their kids go to private schools.)

This is why it's important for the subway to have a flat rate. The poor and lower middle classes live a long way out of Manhattan, but often work there. If it was like London, you end up doubly punished for not being able to afford a home near your job by paying high prices just to get to work.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Poor kid has been handing 100% of his paycheck to his parents for 2 years and they won't even let him buy new work pants and he sleeps on an air mattress. Now they want him to take out loans for them and charge $950 a month for his room/board. It's not even his parents, but his brother who became his legal guardian when he was five.

This is like a modern day Cinderella.

BarbarianElephant fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 22, 2016

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm a little surprised no one at least defended the internet and cable bills. His wife can't leave the house and throws up everywhere and now she has to lose her internet and cable? The phones can be ditched though. A housebound person doesn't need a smartphone and you can't really use them while teaching at school.

There's some discussion in the thread about that very thing. My opinion is whatever cheap internet they can get that allows for streaming of $8/month Netflix. Then get a library card to rent books and DVDs or something.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The financially responsible thing there would be to watch the TV shows for free, using the internet.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Barry posted:

He seems to be receptive to the advice of cutting those costs but I'm not sure how he couldn't come to that particularly conclusion himself.

It's pretty common for external advice to be more effective than internal. You see it in everything from diet advice from trainers to management consultants at companies. When I was consulting, much of my job was "say what everybody knows, just in a more compelling way". This is also why support groups are helpful; they help people cross from knowing what they should do to believing what they should do.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
That kid's situation makes me sad :( no one should keep kids around just because they get money from the state like his adoptive mother, and his adoptive father (in a separate household apparently) is just as bad for using him as indentured labor to live above their means.

I need to update my thread, but I have a foster child the state is paying me to keep (but not for the first 45 days) and if anything I'm finding it motivating in helping me stay within budget. Every dollar less I spend going out to lunch is another dollar I can use to be more secure for her. I don't want her stipend to be a part of my budget because really anything could happen - she could run away, for an extreme example.

And if the state went bankrupt tomorrow and I never received a check for her my first reaction would not be to make her get a job and sign over her checks jesus christ

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mocking Bird posted:

I have a foster child the state is paying me to keep

You're a good person, and you should feel good about yourself.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mocking Bird posted:

That kid's situation makes me sad :( no one should keep kids around just because they get money from the state like his adoptive mother, and his adoptive father (in a separate household apparently) is just as bad for using him as indentured labor to live above their means.

I need to update my thread, but I have a foster child the state is paying me to keep (but not for the first 45 days) and if anything I'm finding it motivating in helping me stay within budget. Every dollar less I spend going out to lunch is another dollar I can use to be more secure for her. I don't want her stipend to be a part of my budget because really anything could happen - she could run away, for an extreme example.

And if the state went bankrupt tomorrow and I never received a check for her my first reaction would not be to make her get a job and sign over her checks jesus christ

I might end up hitting you up with some questions later on but just needed to say - you are a good person doing good work that many others wont.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

For more lovely situations:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/46zujs/parents_overusing_my_personal_finances/

Ohh, this is upsetting me to a fairly intense degree. I really hope there's some legal recourse for that kid.

• Locked thread