Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I had the original giant DS at first and I eventually started to just run my thumb over it if it asked me to blow into it for some dumb reason, after a friend gave me that helpful tip while we were all on a field trip in Middle School.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I started replaying Dragon Age Origins because I can't afford any of the cool new games like Xenoverse 2 and oh man this game did not age well. And let me tell you.
I see a trap. I see a trap. I see a trap.
Then I slowly disarm that trap while a million zombie hobbits shoot me with arrows. Then slowly waddle towards them to murder them all one at a time. Because this game is slow. Super, super slow. Also I see a trap.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Nuebot posted:

So I started replaying Dragon Age Origins because I can't afford any of the cool new games like Xenoverse 2 and oh man this game did not age well. And let me tell you.
I see a trap. I see a trap. I see a trap.
Then I slowly disarm that trap while a million zombie hobbits shoot me with arrows. Then slowly waddle towards them to murder them all one at a time. Because this game is slow. Super, super slow. Also I see a trap.

What I coincidence; I just came here to complain about Dragon Age 2. A trick, btw, is that as soon as you 'engage' a trap to disarm it, you can move off of it immediately and take another action. The trap will de-activate on its own like 2 seconds later, and will still be harmless in the interim. (At least on PC)

I just started Dragon Age 2 after putting another 120 hours into Origins for some reason. Overall, I like it less so far, but I'm giving it a chance. I dunno why they thought they had a sex-up Flemmeth; I'm sure there's an excellent, lore-related reason I haven't come across yet.

What makes me roll my eyes on this one is are the dialogue choices. Binary good/evil dialogue is already kind of played out as something to complain about by now, but MAN is this game one of the worst offenders. It makes me wish my character wasn't voice-acted. The Good choice, you might as well be literally glowing with holy light, the way the voice actors deliver it; and the middle Joke option... you make the Dreamworks face every time - might as well be wearing a pair of those Groucho Marx glasses every time. It might be my new exemplar for ridiculous dialogue. If you don't stick with only 1 of the 3 archetypal responses, conversations start to sound completely ridiculous.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 00:38 on Nov 4, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Captain Lavender posted:

What I coincidence; I just came here to complain about Dragon Age 2. A trick, btw, is that as soon as you 'engage' a trap to disarm it, you can move off of it immediately and take another action. The trap will de-activate on its own like 2 seconds later, and will still be harmless in the interim. (At least on PC)

Yeah I figured that out. Being a mage has the weirdest difficulty scale in the game though. Early game is the worst because everything just one shots you. But once you get Arcane Warrior you become god.

Captain Lavender posted:

I dunno why they thought they had a sex-up Flemmeth; I'm sure there's an excellent, lore-related reason I haven't come across yet.
Bioware is kind of bad at writing but they know their audience. Hell, the first time I got to the camp in Origins I went from 0 to loving morrigan in one conversation. When I went to see if there were any good mods for origins like 99% of them were sex mods. Really, really badly made sex mods.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Nuebot posted:

Bioware is kind of bad at writing but they know their audience. Hell, the first time I got to the camp in Origins I went from 0 to loving morrigan in one conversation. When I went to see if there were any good mods for origins like 99% of them were sex mods. Really, really badly made sex mods.

To be fair, that's not Bioware's audience, that's just the people who are obsessed enough with the game to bother making mods for it. You could make the same argument for, say, Harry Potter, based on a sampling of fanfiction. Especially when you take into account the fact that utility mods only really have to be done once, but each person who makes a sex mod wants their own specific preferences catered to.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Tiggum posted:

To be fair, that's not Bioware's audience, that's just the people who are obsessed enough with the game to bother making mods for it. You could make the same argument for, say, Harry Potter, based on a sampling of fanfiction. Especially when you take into account the fact that utility mods only really have to be done once, but each person who makes a sex mod wants their own specific preferences catered to.

That would be true if Harry Potter had Hermione sex scenes in every other convo. But they don't.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Nuebot posted:

Yeah I figured that out. Being a mage has the weirdest difficulty scale in the game though. Early game is the worst because everything just one shots you. But once you get Arcane Warrior you become god.

My biggest regret on this 2nd playthrough I did is that I let the Morrigan-Loghain 'intimate' scene play all the way through. eugh.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Tiggum posted:

They're not like, "more sex" mods though. They're just "better looking sex scenes" mods. Countless numbers of poorly textured and misplaced nipples and a slightly lesser number of mods to make Alister more attractive. Yet not a single modder has mastered the art of fitting a character's head on the body so every screenshot has hilarious gaps between the body and head.

So another complaint about dragon age is that the choices are kind of poo poo. You can either be an rear end in a top hat and get EXP, money and an item. Or be nice and get nothing. Sometimes you don't even get exp for not being an rear end in a top hat.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Kontradaz posted:

That would be true if Harry Potter had Hermione sex scenes in every other convo. But they don't.

What random sampling of fanfic did you look at to get that result?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
dude it's Potter/Malfoy all the way down

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

RyokoTK posted:

Impressive gag reflex on that lad

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leal posted:

And hey, something that is driving me crazy my current game is the three male colonists constantly flirting with the single female colonist, getting a mood drop, then doing it again an hour later to get another mood drop which stacks. So I figured ok, I'll have her stay up at night and go to sleep in the day so the three men, 2 of which is almost 3 times as old as her and the other being 4 times, would stop trying to make moves on the nudist lesbian 19 year old. Except they still try making moves on her when she is asleep! Apparently I got loving goons as my colonists, I'm having to make her room on the other side of the base, move the workshops I had her using over to there and seperating the colony between the three elder goons and the single young woman so the men stop going on food binges (I guess they really are goons) and poo poo because they keep getting rebuffed every 2 minutes.

So uh, hey given a recent article this is actually how the game is programmed. I'm not going to go into the dumbass gender politics Tynan and his weird rear end name put into the romance system, just that because men consider all women age 20 to the age of themselves attractive older men will incessantly hit on females. Funnily enough, the best way to get around the stupid romance system causing mental breaks is to have a bunch of elderly women and young men because men don't want anyone 15 years older then them and women don't want anyone younger then them.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

At the same time?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Technically it's 50% down and 50% up.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Leal posted:

So uh, hey given a recent article this is actually how the game is programmed. I'm not going to go into the dumbass gender politics Tynan and his weird rear end name put into the romance system, just that because men consider all women age 20 to the age of themselves attractive older men will incessantly hit on females. Funnily enough, the best way to get around the stupid romance system causing mental breaks is to have a bunch of elderly women and young men because men don't want anyone 15 years older then them and women don't want anyone younger then them.

I miss when I was interested in Rimworld.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nuebot posted:

So another complaint about dragon age is that the choices are kind of poo poo. You can either be an rear end in a top hat and get EXP, money and an item. Or be nice and get nothing. Sometimes you don't even get exp for not being an rear end in a top hat.

That actually sounds like altruism done right? Especially when you compare it something like Bioshock where there's almost no point at all in taking the rear end in a top hat option because the rewards for being nice are about as good.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing when I read that. In real life people who aren't psychopaths do 'bad' things because it benefits them in some way, at least in the short term. In most RPGs there is no reason to be an rear end in a top hat because even the immediate reward isn't really worth it. It's good that they apparently tried to turn it into a meaningful choice.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

That actually sounds like altruism done right? Especially when you compare it something like Bioshock where there's almost no point at all in taking the rear end in a top hat option because the rewards for being nice are about as good.

Yeah but patting myself on the back doesn't get me stronger. Stealing an innocent family's money does. :shrug: Like, I'd be cool if maybe the good option gave more exp for moral fiber or something but the mean choices gave me more items because I'm an rear end in a top hat who just punches money out of people. But instead being a jerk gives me both and then I can just tell all the people who matter that I'm actually a cool dude and they buy it because I used that exp to put points into lying my rear end off.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Yeah but patting myself on the back doesn't get me stronger. Stealing an innocent family's money does. :shrug: Like, I'd be cool if maybe the good option gave more exp for moral fiber or something but the mean choices gave me more items because I'm an rear end in a top hat who just punches money out of people. But instead being a jerk gives me both and then I can just tell all the people who matter that I'm actually a cool dude and they buy it because I used that exp to put points into lying my rear end off.

Sounds good to me.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

full disclosure, imo the only thing that makes dragon age worth playing is sex mods

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

They're not like, "more sex" mods though. They're just "better looking sex scenes" mods. Countless numbers of poorly textured and misplaced nipples and a slightly lesser number of mods to make Alister more attractive. Yet not a single modder has mastered the art of fitting a character's head on the body so every screenshot has hilarious gaps between the body and head.

Makes more sense than every other game where you having nothing to gain by being an rear end in a top hat other than bad guy points.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Moon Monster posted:

Makes more sense than every other game where you having nothing to gain by being an rear end in a top hat other than bad guy points.

As much as I agree with this, rewarding the player with nothing for any choice they can make, good or not, sucks rear end.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

John Murdoch posted:

Except altruism done right is actually a really bad gameplay mechanic since, while I might help grandma clean her garage because it makes me feel good, I don't have any sort of empathy for video game grandma.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Except altruism done right is actually a really bad gameplay mechanic since, while I might help grandma clean her garage because it makes me feel good, I don't have any sort of empathy for video game grandma.

Ideally decisions like that should have story effects rather than direct rewards. Like, doing this will piss off group A, but not doing it will piss off group B. Or if direct rewards are involved they should make sense. Like, you can steal from this group now and get a bunch of stuff, or you can do the right thing and they'll give you a number of smaller things spaced out over the rest of the game because they like you.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CJacobs posted:

As much as I agree with this, rewarding the player with nothing for any choice they can make, good or not, sucks rear end.

In a competently made story, making characters happy / having a good resolution to a conflict should be a reward in itself. It would only become a problem if not getting the extra goodies made the game unreasonably more difficult, but the truth is most RPGs shower you in crap faster than you can shovel it out of your inventory, so... I'd also argue against not rewarding XP, since you should get experience for progressing through the game regardless of what you do.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

RyokoTK posted:

See: Witcher. I actually often chose to reject rewards, because even if a quest concerned some stupid peasant and his chicken, the game went into enough effort to make me empathize with him. Bioware and Bethesda are just bad at this.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

gently caress whoever designed the cannon gliding segment in Olwboy. It hits the holy tri-fecta of bad mini-game design.

1. Does the segment require high precision maneuvers? Yes
2. Does failure mean instantaneous death? Yes
3. Do you have to complete the entire thing in one go? Yes

No really, gently caress you. I'm not even sure if I'm finishing this game anymore. Seriously, this is some Battle Toads poo poo.

MiddleOne has a new favorite as of 14:00 on Nov 4, 2016

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

Ideally decisions like that should have story effects rather than direct rewards. Like, doing this will piss off group A, but not doing it will piss off group B. Or if direct rewards are involved they should make sense. Like, you can steal from this group now and get a bunch of stuff, or you can do the right thing and they'll give you a number of smaller things spaced out over the rest of the game because they like you.

Alpha Protocol did a good job of this. You weren't making choices for good guy or bad guy points, it was either to benefit you or get story outcomes you wanted. And there were different perks attached to pretty much all the choices, so it never felt like you were getting dicked over.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Alpha Protocol did a good job of this. You weren't making choices for good guy or bad guy points, it was either to benefit you or get story outcomes you wanted. And there were different perks attached to pretty much all the choices, so it never felt like you were getting dicked over.
Alpha Protocol was amazing because it rewarded the player for every action. Make a friend? Get a reward. Make an enemy? Get a reward. If you sneak carefully you get bonuses to sneaking. If you shoot everyone and punch them while yelling you get bonuses to that. In fact, you could unlock cutscenes and story secrets by pissing off the right people and breaking the rules, or by being careful and cultivating allies.

There are plenty of issues with the gameplay, but AP made tons of great choices.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Alpha Protocol was amazing because it rewarded the player for every action. Make a friend? Get a reward. Make an enemy? Get a reward. If you sneak carefully you get bonuses to sneaking. If you shoot everyone and punch them while yelling you get bonuses to that. In fact, you could unlock cutscenes and story secrets by pissing off the right people and breaking the rules, or by being careful and cultivating allies.

There are plenty of issues with the gameplay, but AP made tons of great choices.

It's a real shame the gameplay is so absolutely terrible, because on paper it's a fantastic game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There is an NPC and an entire storyline that you can only see in Alpha Protocol if you do things out of order because your paths never end up crossing if you do the hubs in the order the game recommends. It really is the gold standard for video games acknowledging the things you choose to do instead of what it tells you to.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tiggum posted:

It's a real shame the gameplay is so absolutely terrible, because on paper it's a fantastic game.
It's not terrible, it's just that stealth games have to be really polished. Its competition (and biggest influence) is MGS, which was doing it better for almost a decade before AP was released. It's mostly fun, and surprisingly flexible, there are just some dumb choices in, for instance, boss fights. It really should have focused harder on one kind of gameplay, but that scope and the way it tries to merge role-playing with stealth is what makes it memorable, too.

It probably needed a few more months in development.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's also a shame that the common advice is to just cheese through the gameplay with a cookie cutter pistol/stealth build. If you absolutely can't stand the gameplay at all, sure, knock yourself out, but there's a whole world of shotguns and punching left unexplored... I think it's just SMGs that are kind of hard to make work.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CJacobs posted:

There is an NPC and an entire storyline that you can only see in Alpha Protocol if you do things out of order because your paths never end up crossing if you do the hubs in the order the game recommends. It really is the gold standard for video games acknowledging the things you choose to do instead of what it tells you to.

Which NPC is that?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Alpha Protocol kinda lets itself down in that the one time Thorton is without any gear it lasts for literally 1 or maybe 2 rooms? Come on, game, have some faith in your stealth/fighting mechanics! They're okay!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

RBA Starblade posted:

Which NPC is that?

SIE.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RBA Starblade posted:

Which NPC is that?

SIE. I went my entire first playthrough without even knowing she existed, because you never meet her if you don't do the missions in Moscow in the order the game lists them.

edit: beaten :argh:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's not terrible, it's just that stealth games have to be really polished. Its competition (and biggest influence) is MGS, which was doing it better for almost a decade before AP was released. It's mostly fun, and surprisingly flexible, there are just some dumb choices in, for instance, boss fights. It really should have focused harder on one kind of gameplay, but that scope and the way it tries to merge role-playing with stealth is what makes it memorable, too.

Also for a stealth game the stealth-crouch animation for Thornton was pretty bad, it was the first time a stealth game protagonist moving made my back hurt out of sympathy. That and the way his butt shakes when he moves :yosbutt:

The animations in general are weird, like how there's only one set walk animation so sometimes you see guards moonwalking on their patrols.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
Holy crap. I got the Skyrim special edition for free since I had all the DLC (bought like 3 years ago and forgotten about, natch) and I decided to give it another go.

The graphics are beautiful, but the game itself has hard-crashed no less than three times in the last 2 days. I have to restart my computer each time. It's so infuriating because I just want my mindless sneaky shooty fantasy game, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

It was really, really stupid how Sega delayed the game for a few months but didn't let them work on it. With a little extra time that game would have gone from "great but flawed" to "great".