Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Lord Twisted posted:

Preferred enemy: Unpainted. Only rule to play by.

This falls apart if the people in your group (or at least a critical mass of people in your group) aren't at a roughly similar level of experience, play skill, and free time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Yeah, I like the idea of that rule (and TheChirurgeon would love it, since he already only plays with painted mans), since it'd get me off my rear end and painting more, but one guy in our crew is real new at 40k, and he'd get boned real hard.

EDIT: Also the other non-goon guy who sucks at 40k but has a commission-painted army probably shouldn't get advantages over ShadowDaishi, the aforementioned dude just starting out.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Give new players Preferred Enemy: Veteran Ham to go with it.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I like this idea!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

Yeah, I like the idea of that rule (and TheChirurgeon would love it, since he already only plays with painted mans), since it'd get me off my rear end and painting more, but one guy in our crew is real new at 40k, and he'd get boned real hard.

EDIT: Also the other non-goon guy who sucks at 40k but has a commission-painted army probably shouldn't get advantages over ShadowDaishi, the aforementioned dude just starting out.

It's a fine line to walk. On the one hand, I do like playing with painted mans and I want to encourage that, but I don't want to shut out Shadow Daishi from playing with more than 500 points in a game and I don't want our crew feeling like they have to rush to get stuff painted poorly and regret it later.

I really like our current plan of meeting up and doing painting/assembly prior to gaming, where everyone can get in some time working on stuff and helping each other out.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Actually, I wonder if you could replicate the old Bretonnians VS Goblins intro game idea I got from White Dwarf and used to great success, where the veteran has the totally lolrandom bullshit army of weaklings and the new player gets the elite force of badasses. Which factions and lists would suit that best in 40k these days?

For some reason more people ended up wanting to play Orcs and Goblins than Brets from those games, mind you...

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Orcs vs Marines. Duh.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Actually, I wonder if you could replicate the old Bretonnians VS Goblins intro game idea I got from White Dwarf and used to great success, where the veteran has the totally lolrandom bullshit army of weaklings and the new player gets the elite force of badasses. Which factions and lists would suit that best in 40k these days?

For some reason more people ended up wanting to play Orcs and Goblins than Brets from those games, mind you...

a huge mass of idiots with dumb gimmicks completing tasks in spite of itself, not because of, will always be more interesting than Guys Who Are Actually Good At Things

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

I really like our current plan of meeting up and doing painting/assembly prior to gaming, where everyone can get in some time working on stuff and helping each other out.

I like it because you always end up grabbing one of my lovely models and touching up the paint. :v:

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hra Mormo posted:

Orcs vs Marines. Duh.

I initially thought of that, but what made the old goblin thing so much fun was stuff like Animosity failing me at absolutely critical moments. So I was thinking Tyranids with too little Synapse or similar.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I should preface that we do preferred enemy: unpainted if there is no progress with the force. AKA if you just got those new assault marines, fine. But if 3 games later they're still unprimed...

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

So here's the 1500 30k Alpha Legion starter army I've come up with. I plan on using it in some test games with my friends. I think one of them is going Imperial Fists and the other is doing Death Guard. Here's the list:

Legion Praetor w/ artificer armor, paragon blade, power dagger, iron halo, venom spheres (attached to terminators)

2 Apothecaries (attached to each tac squad)

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought w/ 2 kheres assault cannons

5-man Terminator Squad w/ power axes, power fist+power dagger on sgt, these guys are in tartaros

15-man Tactical Squad w/ legion vexilla, combi-plasma on sgt

15-man Tactical Squad w/ legion vexilla, combi-plasma on sgt

5-man Seeker Squad w/ banestrike bolts

Javelin Attack Speeder w/ TL cyclone missiles, heavy bolter (outflanking)

Sicaran tank w/ lascannon sponsons

I'd be taking Infiltrate and using it with everyone. While I'd love to use the Alpha Legion rite to steal some Mor Deythan snipers, I don't feel like paying for a 3rd troops unit at this game size.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I initially thought of that, but what made the old goblin thing so much fun was stuff like Animosity failing me at absolutely critical moments. So I was thinking Tyranids with too little Synapse or similar.

50 hormagaunts and 50 Termagants led by Old One Eye and one unit of Warriors. Make it Hive Fleet Leviathan so at least they get a reroll for their leadership check. No ObSec though. :getin:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Oh man, we normally disagree, but I think this is an incredible idea. :)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I actually enjoy Escalation paint games, it gets you more motivated to paint. Start off at 250 and then go up to 1500. That was the only way I got all of my Chaos Space Marines painted. We did no Force Org, so what ever you wanted to paint was fine to bring as long as it was with in the point limits.

Miniature swapping is a good way to get motivated to, swap some miniatures with your buddy you paint his he paints yours.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Paint days are awesome. Hanging out with a bunch of your ham buddies, painting models, ordering a pizza, whatever, it's just a lot more fun with other folks. There's guys in my group who pretty much only paint on said painting days.

I'm gonna try to get a combat patrol-esque game in with a buddy of mine in this weekend. I'm talking sentries, limited visibility, blips, sabotaging objectives, the whole shebang. Let's see how many 4th ed back-of-the-book rules I remember.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SRM posted:

Paint days are awesome. Hanging out with a bunch of your ham buddies, painting models, ordering a pizza, whatever, it's just a lot more fun with other folks. There's guys in my group who pretty much only paint on said painting days.

I'm gonna try to get a combat patrol-esque game in with a buddy of mine in this weekend. I'm talking sentries, limited visibility, blips, sabotaging objectives, the whole shebang. Let's see how many 4th ed back-of-the-book rules I remember.

This works really well for people who get easily distracted when painting. Particularly if you're doing boring grunts. Great way to bash out big squads without noticing it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

SRM posted:

That's how we are painting our city table. It's more productive and, like you say, way more fun. Especially for a project which would be utterly soul-destroying otherwise.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SRM posted:

Yeah, this is the way to do things I think. Before we started testing house rules, this was more fun than actually playing.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

That's how we are painting our city table. It's more productive and, like you say, way more fun. Especially for a project which would be utterly soul-destroying otherwise.

Yeah I'd have never finished my table without help from Shadow Daishi. Just a ton of time and energy to get that thing to a playable state.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hey, I'm trying to add more colour to me Necrons, and I think tiny insects and bugs on the bases would be a good way of "sneaking" some colour in. Does anyone know of any Base manufactures (32mm) that have like maybe some scenic bases that include bugs or maybe someone who makes really tiny bugs and animals for 25mm?

Did a search for 5mm and 10mm bugs they'd be a little bit bigger but thought I'd ask.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Just don't paint your Necrons silver and there will be plenty of ways to add in color on the model.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Just don't paint your Necrons silver and there will be plenty of ways to add in color on the model.

I have them painted white actually. Well pearl white that I got from reaper and is almost a "metallic" white paint, dry brushed onto a more skull bone white. I'm planning to go back with a Bick Metallic Gold Pencil and use that for some gold highlights on the edges.

I'm looking now at maybe doing some multicoloured sand.

It sounds all fancy fancy but it's a pretty simple paint job actually.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 30, 2015

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Ugh. I have 4 of the 6 Forge World city sections, and in the last year have only finished one of them. The rest of my city is all bare resin and plastic.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

DJ Dizzy posted:

with Gjost Arks being cheaper, are they worth running with 10 warriors? Im thinking 20 warriors and 2 arks for 1500 pts.

If you're running them in a Combined Arms detachment, Ghost Arks are really good. Both they and the Warriors get Objective Secured and it throws out 20 (or occasionally 30, if you're lucky) Gauss shots per turn.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

:stare:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I for one would much rather get a tour of the Miniatures Factory and watch the other contestants succumb to their own vices while scrunts sing songs about them.

Entry fee is a $65 direct order, and there will only be 5 of these? That's a hell of a thing.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I mean, that's like two boxes of Marines.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
eBay and SA-Mart have ruined my perspective, man.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

OhDearGodNo posted:

I didn't have any trouble with gluing and only dropped one ball thing on the floor. Eventually found it though.

e: I recommend cutting the ball joint pins, and have the legs at slightly different positions, otherwise it's a tight squeeze to paint them.

What up wraith buddy, here are mine! First non imperial models ever, really.

Bases will be worked on a bit later.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Wraiths are so drat cool looking.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Incidentally, Warhammer TV's overlord painting guide shows a good way of handling edge highlights. Your wraiths are awesome Lord Twisted, but they'd be ever better with neater lines.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lord Twisted posted:

Those actually look as easy to tip over as the old ones/zoanthropes.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Actually they're surprisingly stable. Pretty well designed with the tails.

Thanks for the painting guide! Will have to have a look. I've never actually looked at any guides, all trial and error to this point haha.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

I don't need more miniatures. I already have more than I can ever reasonably use. My housing decisions must take account of sufficient storage space for boxes of models and bitz.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lord Twisted posted:

Actually they're surprisingly stable. Pretty well designed with the tails.

Thanks for the painting guide! Will have to have a look. I've never actually looked at any guides, all trial and error to this point haha.

That's good to know, was worried I'd have to dig out my fishing weights.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I stopped by my LGS on the way home today and he had the new Necron stuff out. Twenty-eight United States Dollars for that new warscythe overlord model. Twenty-loving-eight dollars for a single model.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I don't know where I'd put 7 feet of boxes of Warhams stuff, but damned if I wouldn't love to have it.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Lord Twisted posted:

Your balls look so much better than mine.

I need to work on shading some.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

koreban posted:

I stopped by my LGS on the way home today and he had the new Necron stuff out. Twenty-eight United States Dollars for that new warscythe overlord model. Twenty-loving-eight dollars for a single model.

The Annihilation Barge kit is, what, like $7 more and comes with an entire vehicle. Their single-pose plastic models are fantastically bad value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
That contest is going to make me buy a Toxicrene isn't it. $80CDN is the minimum amount for entry, Toxicrene is $88.

• Locked thread