Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Quick Question: If you're shooting Cluster Missiles and you have both Guidance Chips and an Accuracy Corrector, could you use the Chimps for the first half of the attack and the Corrector for the second or vice versa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Oops. So we can change week to week but you want the lists in advance.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Improbable Lobster posted:

Quick Question: If you're shooting Cluster Missiles and you have both Guidance Chips and an Accuracy Corrector, could you use the Chimps for the first half of the attack and the Corrector for the second or vice versa?

Yes.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Improbable Lobster posted:

You can use the Accuracy Corrector for both, but Chips is limited to once per round. If you try to use Accuracy Corrector, you can't use Chips, but if you want to absolutely waste Chips you can use them, and then Accuracy Corrector to wipe it.

Chemmy posted:

Oops. So we can change week to week but you want the lists in advance.

Yes. Lists for this game I don't particularly care because I didn't give any warning. Lists for next game, and the games after that, I'm going to want before next round's games are posted. This is to prevent looking at who you're going to be playing, and deciding to fly a list this week that fucks them and only them really hard based on what they usually fly.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Strobe posted:

Yes. Lists for this game I don't particularly care because I didn't give any warning. Lists for next game, and the games after that, I'm going to want before next round's games are posted. This is to prevent looking at who you're going to be playing, and deciding to fly a list this week that fucks them and only them really hard based on what they usually fly.

Also known as Strobe's Law.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There is some small measure of self-preservation in there, yes. Mostly, it's a means of letting people play what they like to play, or what they feel like playing that week, without worrying that their opponent is going to bring their face-wrecking hard-counter a-game that week.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, when the week ends and the scores are posted, will the lists players used be published as well? Since I for one would be curious to see, although either way it doesn't particularly matter for me - seeing as I've got the bye this week.
Mostly just want to know because I've got a couple of variants of an old popular/classic list, although I'm not sure if it'll be classed as "netlisting" and therefore be regarded as a dick move. So naturally comparing it to the other, already-used lists seems like a reasonable enough way to help assess whether it would be considered one or not! :D

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'm going to constantly net list. That's totally different than knowing what Strobe would do and picking a list just to beat three X Wings.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
What Chemmy said. I meant it in the deogatory "can't beat you normally do I'll just look up whatever is a hard counter to your list" style netlisting.

The format is designed to reduce targeted dickishness. It's a casual league with no prizes so just have fun with it, or play to get better at the game.

Pools (and who drew the first week bye) were 100% random number generated, for example for similar casual reasons (and because I'm a lazy douche).

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Strobe, do you have the Rebel Transport yet? I feel like that should be a thread goon crowdfunding project if not, as a reward for running the league if nothing else.

It's criminal that someone who's name has become synonymous with all X-Wings all the time doesn't have it. I'd also chip in an AA Veteran Instincts to the cause, if you're still bereft there. If you're in the Magnited States of America, anyway.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

lol do you really need to netlist to beat 3 x-wings?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Oh holy balls regionals was great. I ended up going back to my Trip Aces (gently caress all y'all trip aces) wheelhouse with Carnor (Standard squint setup) OL (Juke Comm Stealth) and Vader (adaptability engine title atc). 3 point init bid yeah

Round 1: 5x Green Squad Crack/Adap/Autothrusters. Vader got vaped in I think 3 hits, carnor got vaped in ONE loving hit at close range. Between the two of them they took a single A wing. OL took one more and just sneaked staying alive. 40-68 loss. Could have done it better, but green-dice variance was pretty painful in this as much as anything, I rolled I think 3 results in my first four defence rolls. Ugh.

Round 2: 2x Lothal Rebel/Reinforced Deflector, 1 with Chopper, and Ezra with Hera and Wired I think? 100-0 to me. It was pretty hard-fought and despite setting up the asteroids all on my side of the board I went ahead and chased Ezra into the clear space on the other side like a chump. But the lack of turrets on the VCXs just made it a lot easier than in should have been. Still, it went nearly to time because those Ghosts had a LOT of hull to chew through and regen and evade actions. It was a good match but it would have been a LOT harder with some autoblasters on the VCXs.

Round 3: 2 BTL y wings, one of which was a stresshog, two zs, and Ezra with PTL Hera. Nuked Ezra in a single shot with Vader, killed the zs, but Carnor got Stresshogged and they both got murdered by the y wings in the same round. Vader on 1 hull was 3-banking like a madman at the very edge of both their ranges until he could clear enough space to k-turn and make it a stern chase in the antepenultimate round with both ys stressed. Got the stresshog down to 3 hull, one more round would have got me at least a mod win. Boo. Great matchup, but I still hate TLTs. AT least BTLs have to point guns at target. 48-63 loss, but it would have turned in one more round. Timed games man. Good fun though.

Round 4: Juno with PTL, TIE mk2, homing missiles, atc, OL juke/comm, PTL inq + prockets. My 3 points bid got me initiative and to some extent, the rest was history. Arcdodged a bunch, took a hit or two on carnor on the way in annd got I think two more shots with him the whole game, ditto Vader, OL did a lot of the work. My opponent was not as experienced as me with OL and to an extent it showed. Juno survived longest, but I think it only took about 45 minutes. 100-0.

Round 5: 3 identical plasma u-boats. This was a great match. Muffed the initial exchange a bit by deciding not to risk carnor to a range 3 torp, no idea whether it was the right choice but it cost me a round of torps without his blocking ability. Stripped shields off Vader, OL just tanked one. OL is hilarious when being shot by torps by people he has locked. He took no damage whatsoever in this match despite being tagged twice if not 3 times. Lost Vader fairly early in exchange for one Jumpmaster (with one torp still unfired, which is the goal) but Carnor survived an intense few rounds of fire thanks to dumb luck and autothrusters, including at least 2 shots from r1 turrets whilst he had Structural Damage. Man that was tight. Took the last hull off the second JM in the penultimate shot of the game (the last being an obstructed range 3 on OL by someone he had locked. 2 dice vs 6 lol) for a 66-34 win. Very tight. Much as u boats are malinged I prefer them to TLTs. At least they have to point at you.

Round 6: Miranda/C3PO, stresshog, tlt y, z. Killed the stresshog, got annihilated by TLTs. Almost killed Miranda as well, but nowhere near time. Lost Vader to Miranda in the initial exchange, I think he deals just a single point to the z. I did mess up his manoeuvre though, I banked in slightly too close to the edge and couldn't straighten up with a boost so I was well out of position and missed a turn's shooting. Not Good. gently caress I hate TLTs and double-hate Miranda. Wish this hadn't been my last match, it kind of left a sour note on the day. 26-100 loss. gently caress k-wings.

Overall: 38/96 with a 3-3 record is not remotely bad for my first regional. Can't help but feel that Whisper would have been better than Vader in most of the matches I had though. WOuld have cost OL his stealth to get SJ whisper but might well have been worth it. The prize support was great, too, they had a bunch of stuff left over from previous tourneys and a few bits of pound shop star wars tat and some other collectibles and stuff. Missed out on the coins, didn't want a medal from a tournament before I started playing, so got some acrylic EM tokens. Nice. And a hera card I have no use for.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Miranda with TLT and C-3PO is my favourite ship :v:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Found the tins on Amazon. Yeah, they're more expensive than Chill's dollar store, but just in case someone can't find them elsewhere.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Pencil-Case-Storage/dp/B000E23MG8/

http://www.amazon.com/Cotton-Buds-Classics-Swab-Count/dp/B0197TYHPI

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Endman posted:

Miranda with TLT and C-3PO is my favourite ship :v:

You are a bad person.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

thespaceinvader posted:

You are a bad person.

This is also true

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Endman posted:

This is also true

But at least it#s not Miranda/TLT/Tactician.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

You are a bad person.

Speaking of which, I've been trying to think of a way to get an 'unkillable' trio going, to maximize on the opponent's rage and my pilots' lifespan (however not my own, due to the aforementioned rage potentially resulting in violence :v:). So far I've got the following:

quote:

Miranda Doni — K-Wing 29
Twin Laser Turret 6
Ship Total: 35

Luke Skywalker — X-Wing 28
R2-D2 4
Integrated Astromech 0
Ship Total: 32

"Red Ace" — T-70 X-Wing 29
R2 Astromech 1
Comm Relay 3
Integrated Astromech 0
Ship Total: 33

I'd like to put my welfare C3PO on Miranda, although that means I'd have to make serious cuts elsewhere. Haven't been able to try the list out at this stage due to a lack of recent wang-time in general, however I hope to be able to give it a whirl at some stage. In the meantime, any feedback would be greatly appreciated! I'm not sure if I should stick with having all three be masters of defense though, as opposed to say, ditching Luke and giving RA R2D2 (or instead just ditching RA), then use the points on a more offense-oriented ship.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Jake is usually significantly harder to kill than Luke and then you can put 3p0 on Miranda.

Endman
May 18, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

But at least it#s not Miranda/TLT/Tactician.

I ran that at Store Champs but completely forgot that Tactician was there, I just went back to Jan Ors/C-3PO.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Jake is usually significantly harder to kill than Luke and then you can put 3p0 on Miranda.

Hmm, yeah that's a good idea - I'll have to try that one out. Thanks

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

35 point, single ship, 4 player FFA tournament tomorrow at my local store.

I'm thinking either:

Miranda Doni (29)
Autoblaster Turret (2)
C-3PO (3)

or:

Contracted Scout (25)
Deadeye (1)
Extra Munitions (2)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
R4 Agromech (2)
Feedback Array (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

I'm expecting to see a ton of Imperial aces. Miranda could be funny because of 3 dice autoblaster shots.

Jumpmaster list does feel a bit spergy for a fun tournament but I think it would do better.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of which, I've been trying to think of a way to get an 'unkillable' trio going, to maximize on the opponent's rage and my pilots' lifespan (however not my own, due to the aforementioned rage potentially resulting in violence :v:). So far I've got the following:

I'd like to put my welfare C3PO on Miranda, although that means I'd have to make serious cuts elsewhere. Haven't been able to try the list out at this stage due to a lack of recent wang-time in general, however I hope to be able to give it a whirl at some stage. In the meantime, any feedback would be greatly appreciated! I'm not sure if I should stick with having all three be masters of defense though, as opposed to say, ditching Luke and giving RA R2D2 (or instead just ditching RA), then use the points on a more offense-oriented ship.

Red Ace is nowhere near unkillable. In the end it only has a relatively small number of hit points and is low PS so it's easy to dodge.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Strobe posted:

Everyone who's name is on this list, if you have PMs please send me your list in PMs. If you do not, send them to me on Steam (I'm strobe213, handle Strobe in the group). Additionally if you are not in the group, please let me know and I will see if I can get you an invite or added.

I need invited to the steam group:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/siggy2021/

I still need to figure out how the hell all this TTS stuff works and what I need to download. I watched a video the other day and it might have helped a little.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

thespaceinvader posted:

Red Ace is nowhere near unkillable. In the end it only has a relatively small number of hit points and is low PS so it's easy to dodge.

If only Red Ace had an EPT slot that didn't involve taking the droid. :argh: Countess Ryad gets one!

Herux
Dec 1, 2013
Strobe I added you on steam (N.S.A) and when you accept will send you my list. Brunas after weds sounds good, I happen to be EST and work a 9-5 so generally 8pm-midnight EST is my best timezone for wangs. Please add me on steam when you get the chance as I am trying to just add the whole pool to make it easier to setup my games for the coming weeks. I look forward to playing wangs with you guys!

ALSO for anyone in my pool(or any goon really) I am more than happy to teach you TTS if you need any help/tips/setup.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Floppychop posted:

Found the tins on Amazon. Yeah, they're more expensive than Chill's dollar store, but just in case someone can't find them elsewhere.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Pencil-Case-Storage/dp/B000E23MG8/

http://www.amazon.com/Cotton-Buds-Classics-Swab-Count/dp/B0197TYHPI

I was curious because I saw the Q-tip tins said collector series #8 and #11, and found this: http://www.cottonbuds.com/products/star-wars%E2%84%A2-cotton-swab-collector-series-tin . There are only 4 designs. They could be using the series number for all their products, but even more baffling is why Rey isn't on at least one of the TFA tins. :smith: Now I'm probably going to go out and buy tins specifically to store all the pieces for the Rebellion board game....when I eventually get it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

So, the X-Wing TTS table seems to have automated scripting movement, but how does it handle bumping?

Edit: ConfusedUs, I posted on reddit so you wouldn't see my list. Stop stalking me! :colbert:

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 2, 2016

Herux
Dec 1, 2013

Deviant posted:

So, the X-Wing TTS table seems to have automated scripting movement, but how does it handle bumping?

Edit: ConfusedUs, I posted on reddit so you wouldn't see my list. Stop stalking me! :colbert:

Bumping is handled manually similar to vassal from what i remember of vassal. You pick it up slap down the railroad tracks like you would @ a store and nudge it in there.

edot: Being able to undo moves with automation as well as lock and unlock objects is very helpful for setting up a proper bump etc.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I think Regionals season is showing that the metagame is moving away from triple jumpmasters. There were only 4 triple jumps at the Tulsa regional. Only one of them made the cut, and it lost in the first round.

I've seen similar chatter on Reddit from other regionals. Jumpmasters are there, but they're dwindling in numbers, and fewer are taking the cut.

It seems the counter is a swarm. Crack shot swarms, ordnance swarms, and just general swarms of all types. Especially if they shoot first. They can win the joust, and force the remaining ships to "overspend" their damage just to kill one member of the swarm.

There were half a dozen crack swarms, maybe more, at the Tulsa regional. Three of them made the top 8, and the finals came down to two of them.

Triple jumpmasters isn't going away, not any more than 4x TLTs went away during the wave 7 meta. However, I think the new tip of the iceberg is swarms.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Deviant posted:

haha I'm trying (and failing!) to post on Reddit right now. Stupid server busy errors!

I won't netlist you though. I'll either run a scum two/three ship list or triple imperial aces. That's my jam.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
That makes me happy, hooray for a diverse metagame.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

overdesigned posted:

That makes me happy, hooray for a diverse metagame.

Counterpoint : outside of the year of Phantom dominance, swarms have always been good. They are just even better now.

A diverse metagame for Imperials is a truer statement.

Edit: 3 of the top 4 at UK regional were drumpfmasters:

http://www.fishywargaming.com/#!MK-Regional-Event-020516/cmbz/5727172e0cf279e813062d1e

alg fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 2, 2016

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

alg posted:

Counterpoint : outside of the year of Phantom dominance, swarms have always been good. They are just even better now.

A diverse metagame for Imperials is a truer statement.

Swarms have always been good, but it's been quite some time since they were great. You rarely saw them in play in wave 7 competitive events.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Nitpicky counter-counterpoint: I mean it's just another thing swarms can beat. Swarms didn't get better, they just stayed good.

Imps have aces and swarms. That's diverse :v:

ConfusedUs posted:

Swarms have always been good, but it's been quite some time since they were great. You rarely saw them in play in wave 7 competitive events.

Make Swarms Great Again (tm)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Nah, Crack Shot was a huge boost to Imperial swarms.

Phantom + deci won Michigan.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Thinking about ordnance alphas made me have a play with building an imperial ordnance list and this looks like a fun one-trick pony

Scimitar Squadron Pilot (22) x 2
TIE Bomber (16), Extra Munitions (2), Cluster Missiles (4), Guidance Chips (0)

Colonel Vessery (37)
TIE Defender (35), Tractor beam (1), Adaptability (0), TIE/D (0), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

Scimitar Squadron Pilot (19)
TIE Bomber (16), Extra Munitions (2), XX-23 S-thread Tracers (1), Guidance Chips (0)

100 points exactly. Something is exploding turn 1. Probably you but hey.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So you mean it's time to play Fat Han again. :evilbuddy: I always had an easier time against mini swarms with Han. Trouble against torpedoes and full swarms, but not minis.

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Herux posted:

Brunas after weds sounds good, I happen to be EST and work a 9-5 so generally 8pm-midnight EST is my best timezone for wangs.

Hey sounds good, I'm also EST 9-5. Will add you when I get home today.

Also, I can offer up some prizes for this month. Nothing super crazy, but Aaron was extremely nice and gave me quite a few extra alt art Maareks this weekend, so I'll send out one to the top of each pool this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Otisburg posted:

Strobe, do you have the Rebel Transport yet? I feel like that should be a thread goon crowdfunding project if not, as a reward for running the league if nothing else.

It's criminal that someone who's name has become synonymous with all X-Wings all the time doesn't have it. I'd also chip in an AA Veteran Instincts to the cause, if you're still bereft there. If you're in the Magnited States of America, anyway.

I already have the X-wings from the Transport thanks to a magnificent person who had two, I just don't have the Transport itself (which I don't feel like I'm really missing out on). I do still lack alt-art VI because I haven't been able to get to a Spring Kit tournament at all this year, but I'll be able to snag some of those myself with any luck.

Eventually I'm going to be running my XXX list with promo Wedge, Luke, 2x VI, and Predator. :feelsgood:

• Locked thread