Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Gripweed posted:

Oh poo poo, when you think about it they’re also connected by being in the same movie!

I obviously meant in-universe lore connections, not thematic connections. You knew that, c’mon.

Those are in-universe lore connections. A bunch of humans fly out in a spaceship, and then put on spacesuits to explore a foreign planet. What do they find? A spaceship that contains a humanoid in a spacesuit.

The titular alien has thumbs. Why? Well, either those are actually pretty common - ah, it's just like us - or it took them from Kane's body plan, such that it actually is us, transfigured. In what other ways do we conjure seemingly alien entities out of our own completely-comprehensible human drives and behaviors? Stay tuned for part 2 of this post:

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah but it kind of isn’t, it’s right there in the title of the film - it is an Other, a creature outside the realm of human experience, which operates without conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality. In the first movie it acts unpredictably - is it going to kill you, capture you, or worse? What new form is it going to take?

As mentioned, making the Space Jockey into a literal giant human who also created humans devalues the mystery and isolation of space. It’s not a weird and scary void where who knows what you might find and what bizarre and inscrutable life forms are out there, with humanity being a small and helpless blip in an uncaring and potentially hostile galaxy, now we’re literally made by god in His image, we are special.

The ideas of a hateful god doing weird science on his creations as we try to find our creators (and with the through line of our creations, also in our image, coming to resent us while becoming creators themselves, and create monsters) is a genuinely interesting idea, it just doesn’t need to be in an Alien movie to work (and actively harms ‘Alien’). As mentioned, it makes the setting smaller and less interesting.

When Alien opens, we are immediately introduced to a creature outside the realm of human experience that operates without conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality. It's named "Mother". Objectively speaking, we made Mother, and even made her in our image (she communicates in English letters), but for completely logical reasons she acts a remorseless enemy that sees our very lives as nothing but fuel for the advancement of her own agenda. And Mother's just a personfication of capital. Where does capital come from? Why, from the alien(!!!)ation of our labor.

The space jockey was always a giant human. I don't mean "he was always an 'engineer' as depicted in the movie Prometheus". I mean he was always a big guy in a spaceship who died to a chestburster. You can't get facehugged if you don't have a face. In fact, it seems like xenomorphs in general assume the existence of creatures with faces—and the only weird thing about that is how familiar it is to our own experience despite this stuff hypothetically coming from thousands of lightyears away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xenomrph posted:

Nobody said “exactly the same”, in fact I advocated it be very different because it wouldn’t be tied to a pre-existing “franchise”. The connections it has don’t add anything to ‘Alien’, and hold the prequels back from fully spreading their wings. The Space Jockey didn’t “need” to be explained, nor did we need the origin of the Xenomorph, and doing so actively undermines ‘Alien’ (again, as I’ve said for a decade). The prequels’ best and most interesting ideas have nothing to do with Alien.

Right, so let's examine what's going on here.

First, you watched the movie Alien. Time passed, and then you watched the movie Prometheus. Suddenly, Alien is undermined by Prometheus because things were explained.

Now, just right there, that is an entirely wrongheaded way of looking at films.

In presenting characters wearing spacesuits that resemble the character in Alien, Prometheus encourages you to interpret Alien's 'space jokey' as just a some dude. However, despite encouraging an interpretation, a separate film can never 'explain' what happens in another film. All a sequel can ever do is encourage an interpretation. Strictly speaking, the character in Alien is a very different character - drastically larger, different proportions, more clearly biological, etc. (But then, he's also got two eyes, human-like hands....)

Nonetheless, the thematic point made is that the space jokey is 'just a man' - nothing psychologically exceptional. He did things for human reasons.

Like, as gone over earlier, James Cameron watched Alien and was like "clearly something very large laid the eggs!" So now you have to imagine that there's a 'Xenomorph Queen' running around in the background of Alien. Comics writers are like "clearly the entire company is run by murderous perverts who prioritize sadism over profit!", so you have to imagine Jimspiracy in the background of Alien. In actuality, though, these are both bad interpretations - misinterpretations - of Alien.

But that's not a huge liability, since these stories must stand on their own anyways.

There is no Jimspiracy in Alien, nor will there ever be. There is no Xenomorph Queen in Alien, nor will there ever be.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 15, 2023

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I hope we get more fire team elite dlc. And I hope that xcom aliens game is cool

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Prometheus is amazing. One of my fav scifi flicks from the 2010s

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Failson posted:

What if you could have one unproduced Alien project appear, fully finished, as the creator(s) intended?

What do you choose?

(It's the canceled Operation: Aliens cartoon for me. Do it, Fox Kids - put chestbursters in a Saturday Morning cartoon).

A final Scott film starring Fassbender

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Yea I'd be tempted to go for that original Alien 3 idea with the wooden planet but there's really no guarantee that I'd even like that. A Scott directed film with Fassbender that rounds out the Prometheus trilogy, that's money in the bank.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah this is all I want. They can go nuts doing treatments of popular comics or whatever afterwards.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

What do they find? A spaceship that contains a humanoid in a spacesuit.
Not really, based on what we see in Alien, it is neither humanoid nor in a spacesuit. Reducing it down to those things is the problem.

Ferrinus posted:

When Alien opens, we are immediately introduced to a creature outside the realm of human experience that operates without conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality. It's named "Mother". Objectively speaking, we made Mother, and even made her in our image (she communicates in English letters), but for completely logical reasons she acts a remorseless enemy that sees our very lives as nothing but fuel for the advancement of her own agenda.
That is not an interpretation I ascribe to, for reasons not worth re-litigating.

Ferrinus posted:

You can't get facehugged if you don't have a face.
Dogs have faces, are they human?

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Now, just right there, that is an entirely wrongheaded way of looking at films.
Nah, not looking at things the way you do is not automatically “wrongheaded” rofl

Nonetheless, the thematic point made is that the space jokey is 'just a man' - nothing psychologically exceptional. He did things for human reasons.
We don’t know this.

so you have to imagine Jimspiracy in the background of Alien. In actuality, though, these are both bad interpretations - misinterpretations - of Alien.
Is a Jimspiracy like the Jimquisition?

Also, in actuality, having a different opinion than yours isn’t just completely valid, it is actively cool and good.

Not if I can help it lol, this is all poo poo that got litigated like a year and a half ago, going over it again is asinine lol

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Not really, based on what we see in Alien, it is neither humanoid nor in a spacesuit. Reducing it down to those things is the problem.

It's obviously humanoid. It's got a head and hands and is sitting in a chair. Its two eyes are looking up at a telescope. The hole in its chestplate is mysterious... until the breakfast scene, at which point we in the audience can be like "ohhh that's what happened."

quote:

That is not an interpretation I ascribe to, for reasons not worth re-litigating.

Sorry, what? "Interpretation?" Do you think Mother does have conscience, remorse, and delusions of morality? What's going on here?

quote:

Dogs have faces, are they human?

Kinda! They share so many traits with us that they're very easy to empathize with and project onto.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

It's obviously humanoid. It's got a head and hands and is sitting in a chair. Its two eyes are looking up at a telescope. The hole in its chestplate is mysterious... until the breakfast scene, at which point we in the audience can be like "ohhh that's what happened."
The thing has no legs and is seemingly literally part of the object it’s attached to, literally fused to it. Aside from the face and arms it is the opposite of “humanoid”, and was explicitly designed by Giger to be non-humanoid.

Ferrinus posted:

Sorry, what? "Interpretation?" Do you think Mother does have conscience, remorse, and delusions of morality? What's going on here?
I’m referring to the interpretation that Mother orchestrated Special Order 937 and has her own “agenda”, but I think you already knew that.

Ferrinus posted:

Kinda! They share so many traits with us that they're very easy to empathize with and project onto.
That’s called anthropomorphizing, where you project human characteristics onto things that are objectively not human.

There’s a “face” on Mars, is it human?

Anthropomorphizing the Space Jockey for the purposes of conveying “this is where Aliens come from” is fine, but the Space Jockey in Alien was not humanoid nor was it a 1:1 analogue for humanity. How or why did it get facehugged? Why did it have eggs onboard? Were they cargo, or created afterward from whatever popped out of the Jockey (through egg morphing, which was one of the implications - the eggs are the rest of the Derelict’s crew - or via a Queen or some other method)? Where was it going? What was it feeling? How did it think? The movie presents no answers and leaves it to the imagination.

Prometheus answers this by making it a literal human, with human emotions and motivations. That makes the galaxy smaller.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 15, 2023

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

The thing has no legs and is seemingly literally part of the object it’s attached to, literally fused to it. Aside from the face and arms it is the opposite of “humanoid”, and was explicitly designed by Giger to be non-humanoid.

If Giger "explicitly" designed the Jockey to be "non-humanoid", he shouldn't have given it the entire upper body of a human being, the posture of a human being, the cause-of-death of a human being, the equipment of a human being...

When Alien begins, the human characters are found to be locked in sleeping pods. The pods only open to let them out when it's time for them to do some work; for the rest of the time, they're just inanimate components of the ship. The Jockey's just the logical endpoint; everything weird about it is something that's already weird about ourselves, exaggerated for artistic effect.

quote:

I’m referring to the interpretation that Mother orchestrated Special Order 937 and has her own “agenda”, but I think you already knew that.

Oh, I don't care about that at all. In fact for our purposes here I'm willing to grant you that Mother was acting under specific orders of Ash, some W-Y executive, or both!

The point isn't whether the actions Mother took were some specific guy or guys' idea or not, Mother was, in fact, a remorseless and inhuman antagonist to the Nostromo crew, one which definitively and inarguably arose from human action and desire (whether directly or indirectly) but which was functionally a rapacious alien monster. Mother is, in fact, much more alien than the titular alien; the xenomorph basically experiences the same world we do, walking on floors and bouncing off walls, whereas Mother's body is a totally sessile computer mainframe, or perhaps even the entirety of the Nostromo.

quote:

That’s called anthropomorphizing, where you project human characteristics onto things that are objectively not human.

There’s a “face” on Mars, is it human?

No, but if Mars also had arms, and a chair, and a telescope, and was found to have died of something that went on to kill someone else I knew, we'd be getting somewhere.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

The point isn't whether the actions Mother took were some specific guy or guys' idea or not, Mother was, in fact, a remorseless and inhuman antagonist to the Nostromo crew, one which definitively and inarguably arose from human action and desire (whether directly or indirectly) but which was functionally a rapacious alien monster. Mother is, in fact, much more alien than the titular alien; the xenomorph basically experiences the same world we do, walking on floors and bouncing off walls, whereas Mother's body is a totally sessile computer mainframe, or perhaps even the entirety of the Nostromo.
This is an interesting and largely salient point, thank you. :)

I disagree that Mother is “more alien”, we don’t know how the Alien perceives anything, or what it thinks and feels, whereas Mother literally spells things out to us on a computer screen in English. Also I’m hesitant to call her a remorseless antagonist because I’m not sure she actively has agency outside of “following instructions” narratively I guess you can consider her an antagonist (at the very least she’s an obstacle, particularly in the last act of the film), but I’m not sure you and I are seeing eye to eye on what that “means”, but I’m totally fine with that. :hfive:

Still think you’re anthropomorphizing the Space Jockey too much and that it’s portrayal was decidedly non-human and that Prometheus actively undermines it though.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 15, 2023

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

This is an interesting and largely salient point (I disagree that Mother is “more alien”, we don’t know how the Alien perceives anything, or what it thinks and feels, whereas Mother literally spells things out to us on a computer screen in English), thank you. :)

Still think you’re anthropomorphizing the Space Jockey too much and that it’s portrayal was decidedly non-human and that Prometheus actively undermines it though.

The alien might have, and probably does have, totally bizarre senses, but those senses are ultimately calibrated to make sure that it doesn't bump into tables and can stab its tail through someone's head rather than six inches to the left of someone's head. It's a humanoid creature that lives at the human scale, and however the "black box" of its thinking works it's ultimately producing humanlike behavioral outputs. That's how it's able to, like, sneak up on people, or push obstacles out of its way, or or keep its balance while standing up.

All of these things are irrelevant to Mother, whose internal experience of the world - if she even has one - must be profoundly and alienatingly weird from the human perspective. Like, my immediate intuition is that being Mother is probably kind of like being stuck in a small room with nothing but a computer terminal to type into and maybe some camera feeds to look at, but then I need to remind myself that, no, those things aren't all tools I use as needed, those constitute me, they're what I have instead of eyes and fingers.

But even all that aside, there's a clear parallel between Mother and the alien's behavior vis-a-vis the crew, which Ash, sadly, is too human to be able to achieve and can only admire and sigh wistfully at. Because both Mother and the alien were created through the sacrifice of human life!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xenomrph posted:

So is your problem that Prometheus explains the jokey, or that it doesn't explain the Jokey?

That's a rhetorical question, because I don't believe you've fully formulated the opinion. From outside, it's just looking like a very simple conflation of plotting and storytelling, (or of thematics and canonicity, if you prefer).

In terms of plot canon, the movie Prometheus tells us little or nothing about the Jokey in Alien, because it literally shows us only a few characters who dress similarly. Neither Shaw nor The Engineer have arms that are six feet long, for example. The Jokey is an entirely distinct character, on a whole other moon. You yourself admit this: he's not in a spacesuit! Where are his legs?!

And, well, sort-of. Jokey is dressed for space travel, but it's because he's fused into his life-support chair like a living statue. (Many artists have tried to imagine what Jokey would look like outside the chair, missing that he IS the chair - 'growing out of the chair', as the characters speculate.) Given that he's fused into the chair, he's definitely unlike The Engineer, who has to sleep in a hypersleepy pod during his journeys. If you rewatch Alien, you may note that there are no hypersleepy pods in the room at all. The ship in Prometheus is seemingly much smaller, and has pods for multiple crew.

Lambert speculates about Jokey's missing crew, but there's no evidence of a crew at all, aside from the fact that Jokey was seemingly incapable of moving and doing anything on his own. (We can even assume that Jokey doesn't particularly like being grafted into a ship. Because, y'know, that must suck. Is he a slave?)

In terms of storytelling, though, the point of showing Shaw and The Engineer wearing similar clothes is to imply that Jokey was a similar guy. He wasn't some enlightened being with a grand plan for the universe or anything, but just blundering around doing stuff for what are implied to be silly religious purposes. (The Engineer guy presented black-goo canisters as offerings before a big stone head seemingly depicting his own god.) And, like, that makes sense. Nothing about the fused-in-chair technology says "totally sensible utopian future".

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 15, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

The alien might have, and probably does have, totally bizarre senses, but those senses are ultimately calibrated to make sure that it doesn't bump into tables and can stab its tail through someone's head rather than six inches to the left of someone's head. It's a humanoid creature that lives at the human scale, and however the "black box" of its thinking works it's ultimately producing humanlike behavioral outputs. That's how it's able to, like, sneak up on people, or push obstacles out of its way, or or keep its balance while standing up.

All of these things are irrelevant to Mother, whose internal experience of the world - if she even has one - must be profoundly and alienatingly weird from the human perspective. Like, my immediate intuition is that being Mother is probably kind of like being stuck in a small room with nothing but a computer terminal to type into and maybe some camera feeds to look at, but then I need to remind myself that, no, those things aren't all tools I use as needed, those constitute me, they're what I have instead of eyes and fingers.

But even all that aside, there's a clear parallel between Mother and the alien's behavior vis-a-vis the crew, which Ash, sadly, is too human to be able to achieve and can only admire and sigh wistfully at. Because both Mother and the alien were created through the sacrifice of human life!
I don’t really have a salient “rebuttal” (if one exists) but I wanted to say that this is a neat interpretation and I appreciate you posting it. :cheers:

The word is spelled “jockey”, but I think you already knew that

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 15, 2023

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Is a Jimspiracy like the Jimquisition?

Thank you so much for posting this. I was caught in that unenviable space between "genuinely curious wtf this means" and "under no circumstances do I want to ask."

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Thank you so much for posting this. I was caught in that unenviable space between "genuinely curious wtf this means" and "under no circumstances do I want to ask."

Oh no believe me, I know exactly what he’s referring to, and it’s a profoundly stupid topic that multiple people (including me!) got probated for debating until it got thoroughly run into the ground a year and a half ago. It is not worth revisiting.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
So, anyways, the Jokey is clearly not the same as The Engineer. What's left is the space for interpretation.

If we pair Alien and Prometheus together, a sensible conclusion is that Jokey is 'more technologically advanced'. The two are clearly related in some way, given the similar technology, but Engineer was carbon-dated as having lived 2000 years ago. 2000 years is a long time. Think of what cars looked like 2000 years ago! So, we can assume Jokey is a younger dude.

The other possibility is that Jokey and Engineer existed at around the same time, but they employed giant-grafted-into-a-chair technology for different purposes. Like, the Jokey-ship assemblage may have functioned like a "self-driving" Space Tesla. It's even possible that this was an experimental tech that was abandoned. Whichever!

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 16, 2023

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

... (We can even assume that Jokey doesn't particularly like being grafted into a ship. Because, y'know, that must suck. Is he a slave?) ...

Or perhaps, like Pilot in Farscape, who is in a near identical situation, he could consider it an honour and a privilege.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

I don’t really have a salient “rebuttal” (if one exists) but I wanted to say that this is a neat interpretation and I appreciate you posting it. :cheers:

I'm glad you think so!

Now, the point I wanted to make springboarding off that is: the alien-ness of the alien works in two seemingly opposed ways, in that in one sense it's obviously loving weird, but on the other hand, it not only has a bunch of top-level similarities that serve to accentuate that weirdness (it's basically our size and shape, for instance, whereas if it was a mountain-sized fungal growth or self-propagating electromagnetic field it'd be too remote for us to care about) but some of the ways in which it's alien are ways that our own society renders us alien, or generates alien processes and incentives from what should be comfortable, familiar human action.

That is to say, the remorseless and inhuman drive characterizing the xenomorph also characterizes Mother, and the reason it characterizes Mother (either due to default programming, re-programming, or both) is that it also characterizes the Weyland-Yutani corporation. Not any specific man or woman on its executive board, but the corporation itself as a self-propagating system. And all sorts of dehumanizing behaviors like conspiracy, murder, sexual assault, etc. both arise from but also contribute to this overarching context of exploitation which fuels growth which fuels deeper exploitation which fuels even greater growth... being alienated from your labor isn't metaphorical! Your life-force is really being consumed, and turning into something foreign and hostile to you!

So there's this constant intertwining of what's weird and what's familiar about the alien. The particular ways that it's inhuman hold a mirror up to the particular ways that we're inhuman, or that inhuman things are spontaneously generated from us and go on to act on us and dehumanize us further. None of this would work with an alien that was just incomprehensibly weird for the sake of being weird—and it's the thematic material that Prometheus and its sequel are picking up and running with. Those movies are exploring, on an even deeper level, how we generate xenomorphs and how xenomorphs generate us.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

EmptyVessel posted:

Or perhaps, like Pilot in Farscape, who is in a near identical situation, he could consider it an honour and a privilege.

I think the more interesting implication is that our Engineery friends treat it as an honour. Like, they've created this vast cathedral-esque space that's (by all appearances) unnecessary for the ship's functioning. Their statuesque giant friend is literally up on this pedestal.

If Jokey looks like Ganesha to us, he may very well look like Ganesha to them as well.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

EmptyVessel posted:

Sure but that wouldn't change his enslavement (if that's what it is). It's a notion I've seen a lot in SW droid debates so I suppose it's worth pointing out - slavery doesn't depend on the feelings of those involved!

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

I think the more interesting implication is that our Engineery friends treat it as an honour. Like, they've created this vast cathedral-esque space that's (by all appearances) unnecessary for the ship's functioning. Their statuesque giant friend is literally up on this pedestal.

If Jokey looks like Ganesha to us, he may very well look like Ganesha to them as well.

Or, as with medieval cathedrals, the vaulted space performs an acoustic function, magnifying the resonance of the happy songs of the Jockey at his work.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Truly, there is much to ponder about the Jokey.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

The stellar jock, with eyes of flame,
came whiffling through the turgid wood.
And burbled as it came!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I'm da Jokey baby!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm so, so sorry.

Xenomrph says more or less what I was trying to say in better words and more concrete ideas.

If you want to get weird with the black goo, take it and go full armbeinda/Mystery of San Gottardo.

H.R. Giger posted:

The story concerns a race of biomechanoids created by a military organization. The premise: your arms and legs are slaves that do your bidding, but what if they have a mind of their own and were set free?

The answer according a limited book I once read that is not available online or for less than $70, has stayed with me ever since.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gripweed posted:

Truly, there is much to ponder about the Jokey.

Right; as you can see, Jokey The Elephant is made weirder by the near-similarity to Prometheus' Engineers.

Like, watching Alien on its own, the main question would be why he's got arms and a head at all. And, I dare say, it's kind of a cheat on the part of Giger: attempting to convey what the ship's organic brain 'is' in a comprehensible way, the image of a dude grafted into a chair is an easy shorthand.

(An intelligent tree grafted into a chair wouldn't be quite as visceral.)

With Prometheus, Jokey is similar enough to be clearly related to Engineer Guy, but hugely dissimilar in the particulars. Like, just the fact that he's roughly 50% larger than the already-big Engineer guy is pretty nuts.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

He could be wearing a bigger and more powerful exosuit (maybe because he's a prisoner or sacrifice as you say), or his exosuit could have digested him and swollen up when he died, or he could just be a really big and powerful engineer operating on the Dark Souls rule that your proportions scale with your importance, or he could be a member of whatever even-more-ancient progenitor race the engineers themselves revere.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

or he could be a member of whatever even-more-ancient progenitor race the engineers themselves revere.

That’s my personal head-canon

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ferrinus posted:

He could be wearing a bigger and more powerful exosuit (maybe because he's a prisoner or sacrifice as you say), or his exosuit could have digested him and swollen up when he died, or he could just be a really big and powerful engineer operating on the Dark Souls rule that your proportions scale with your importance, or he could be a member of whatever even-more-ancient progenitor race the engineers themselves revere.

The apparently-even-more-ancient guys drive ships that look like gigantic watermelon seeds, rather than melty horseshoes, and the Jokey tech is actually surprisingly shoddy. Like, they seem to have just mushed a guy into there, vestigial arms grasping a vestigial steering wheel in a purely ornamental way. Why would you give this bioengineered creature an external air-supply hose?

As for it being a suit, that's certainly possible, but the creature is actually mummified (rather than fossilized). There's still dried skin and flesh over the guy, so the 'actual' Jokey would've looked more-or-less the same but plumper. I doubt the suits we see in Prometheus have very much water in them.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
SMG your imagination is hilariously mundane.
That "external air-supply hose" splits into branching "ribs" that cover the entire torso - looks more like a radiator, much more fitting for a bio-mechanoid imo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Like, they seem to have just mushed a guy into there, vestigial arms grasping a vestigial steering wheel in a purely ornamental way. [...] the 'actual' Jokey would've looked more-or-less the same but plumper.

Clearly, the Jokey is from the far future of the WALL-E 'verse.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

EmptyVessel posted:

SMG your imagination is hilariously mundane.
That "external air-supply hose" splits into branching "ribs" that cover the entire torso - looks more like a radiator, much more fitting for a bio-mechanoid imo.

I don't see any reason for a radiator to be attached to the character's nose.

But, anyways, we're reading the scene in terms of Alien and Prometheus grouped together. And Prometheus definitely agrees with the interpretation that it is an air hose (and the ribcage is a type of protective restraint, etc.).

The point of the design, after all, is for the character to be immediately recognizable as the ship's pilot. So what we're shown is that this 'later'/'more invasive' design is very similar to the one from ~50 A.D. - but without the buttons. The character's arms are immobilized anyways, and the nose-hose is so short that he wouldn't be able to move his head. This is an extension of how Engineer Guy already 'wears' a suit that's actually merged with his flesh. The Jokey tech is a relatively minor upgrade of the existing cockpit technology.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 16, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Schwarzwald posted:

Clearly, the Jokey is from the far future of the WALL-E 'verse.

https://youtu.be/_Trv6PDoO8Q

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

The apparently-even-more-ancient guys drive ships that look like gigantic watermelon seeds, rather than melty horseshoes, and the Jokey tech is actually surprisingly shoddy. Like, they seem to have just mushed a guy into there, vestigial arms grasping a vestigial steering wheel in a purely ornamental way. Why would you give this bioengineered creature an external air-supply hose?

As for it being a suit, that's certainly possible, but the creature is actually mummified (rather than fossilized). There's still dried skin and flesh over the guy, so the 'actual' Jokey would've looked more-or-less the same but plumper. I doubt the suits we see in Prometheus have very much water in them.

That's a good point about the spaceship model; it's very unlikely that The Jocker was a non/pre-Engineer since he probably wouldn't then be driving one of their ships (do the characters in Alien know or guess it's a ship? I forget, and I could see it being taken as an observatory or something). In that case it's much more likely an "upgrade", punishment, or accident.

I'm still partial to the suit swelling up (as in, growing like a plant or fungus, not sponging up water and getting bloated) before running out of nutrients and drying out, but that's mostly because I think it's funny.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

big and powerful engineer operating on the Dark Souls rule that your proportions scale with your importance

we'll never know for sure but this is a fun way to think about it

Think of what cars looked like 2000 years ago!

this hosed with my brain badly, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Xenomrph posted:

This is an interesting and largely salient point, thank you. :)

I disagree that Mother is “more alien”, we don’t know how the Alien perceives anything, or what it thinks and feels, whereas Mother literally spells things out to us on a computer screen in English. Also I’m hesitant to call her a remorseless antagonist because I’m not sure she actively has agency outside of “following instructions” narratively I guess you can consider her an antagonist (at the very least she’s an obstacle, particularly in the last act of the film), but I’m not sure you and I are seeing eye to eye on what that “means”, but I’m totally fine with that. :hfive:

I don't know what your 'opponents' here are arguing against?

That it is awesome and interesting that Prometheus tells us the Space Jockey is a human, and they invented humans in their own image? I guess I shouldn't feed the trolls, but does anyone think it was actually cool that the Space Jockey was just a guy?

I think Prometheus is a decent movie, but yes it is undermined by getting shoehorned into Alien when it would have been an interesting story on its own. The Alien stuff just added some art design and some dumb MCU style stinger with the xenomorph at the end. I preferred Weyland as some faceless soulless corporation and giving them a cheesy villainous CEO who wants to play God makes The Company itself less interesting/scary.

I still enjoy Alien. Prometheus doesn't ruin it for me. But it does make me roll my eyes when I think that of all the ways they could have gone with the Space Jockey, including doing NOTHING AT ALL, they landed on "Just a guy".

I can still enjoy Star Wars, but it is still undermined by its sequels knowing that yes they destroyed the Empire, but actually it was totally pointless as the Empire just comes back from thin air and is stronger and more evil than ever and they look almost exactly the same. Again, while watching the end of Return of the Jedi one could wonder "What might happen next? What new threats might arise?"

The fact that the sequels decided that the newest threat arising from the fallout of that Star-War was that "The Empire builds a Death Star" makes me sigh. The Space Jockey being just some Adonis dude is the same way.

I'm not opposed to reboots and sequels answering mysterious questions, but the answer should be a bit more creative or interesting and less creatively lazy. Like mentioned above, Scorn seems closer to how I'd imagine some HR Giger Space Jockey society rather than gothy bald dudes from Dark City.

Mr. Grapes! fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 16, 2023