Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

As I recall I got a prompt saying the avatar energies had faded back into the shroud.

They last a fair while but I figured it was to stop you going well over your fleet cap with super powerful units.

How many mods do you play with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not very many when I last got an avatar, think it was fairly vanilla.

I can't think what mod would change that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just noticed in my war demands rundown it says "peace offer -94"

What the hell is that? They declared war on me!

edit: and the game now consists of me, and everyone else. I've got a massive empire spanning most of the galaxy, and everyone else HATES HATES HATES me, -1000 in most cases, so they've all formed up into one gigantic megafederation and as soon as I defeated the final Contingency world they declared war on me. Now they won't commit to attack me because my 500k roaming fleet is thumping around in the middle of their empires, conquering as it goes. :getin:

Also, I have all the Megastructure ascension perks now, but it's still not letting me repair the destroyed ringworld. What do I need to do to be able to fix it? It says "damaged beyond repair", but I would think it would be usable in some way to build a new one. I've got four complete ringworlds of my own(thanks in no small part to some random event that seems to have given me a permanent +30% build speed on megastructures?), this is just in a nice cozy location that has nothing else in it, so it'd be perfect to have there.

Edit: there is this constant kinda mechanical white noise incessantly playing at all times, what is that? How do I stop it? It's annoying as hell.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 27, 2017

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Peace offer -94 means that's the value of the demands your side is making. You need them to have more reasons to accept an end to the war than to continue with it, so make warscore + relative navy strength + length of war larger than 94 and you'll win, otherwise lower your demands. They'd accept a white peace this instant, for example.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
If you have Mega-Engineering, you should be able to repair it. Click a section, click the huge repair button.

If there's no repair button then I dunno.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Alright, gotcha. Thanks for the explanation of the peace offer thing. Now if I can figure out this weird sound issue and the ringworld thing I should be all set

Shadowlyger posted:

If you have Mega-Engineering, you should be able to repair it. Click a section, click the huge repair button.

If there's no repair button then I dunno.

There's no sections, it's a totally wrecked ringworld. Looks rusty, with lots of debris around it.

edit:

The fallen empire I conquered had two ringworlds and a third hosed up one nearby, this is the hosed up one. I thought I had heard there are damaged megastructures you can find and fix, but this one seems to be donezo

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 27, 2017

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Well I guess that one can't be repaired then.

I think the only repairable ringworld you can find is the one from the Cybrex precursor chain. Other than that, other busted megastructures can be found around the galaxy randomly.

The best is when you find a broken Dyson Sphere, because it turns out repairing one doesn't count towards the limit of one that you're allowed to build.

+2k EC per month? Sure why not.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

According to the wiki there are always one of each megastructure that spawns damaged into your galaxy and stuff like the cybrex homeworld / fallen empire stuff doesn't count against that

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gotcha. It would be rad if it showed up on the map.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Shadowlyger posted:

I think the only repairable ringworld you can find is the one from the Cybrex precursor chain. Other than that, other busted megastructures can be found around the galaxy randomly.

Too bad my Cybrex chain is stuck at 4/6. Haven't even seen any of the 'we found artifacts we missed earlier' events pop up.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Platonicsolid posted:

Too bad my Cybrex chain is stuck at 4/6. Haven't even seen any of the 'we found artifacts we missed earlier' events pop up.
Ah don't worry. Most likely the found artifact event won't actually spawn any new anomaly anyway. Last time I saw it it claimed to be on a planet I had colonized. I think I had the event three times that run but not a single one appeared.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Poil posted:

Ah don't worry. Most likely the found artifact event won't actually spawn any new anomaly anyway. Last time I saw it it claimed to be on a planet I had colonized. I think I had the event three times that run but not a single one appeared.

I think there's a bug with the "new" precursor events popping up. You need to select a science ship to actually see the "new" anomaly to explore; if you're selecting something else it won't show up.

I've definitely taken more care in remembering the system name of the new anomaly though.

Also if people are finding the AI too easy, try using the AI fix mod from Steam along with the autobuild mod. It won't fix the doomstacking and questionable diplomacy but the AI will absolutely keep up tech/economy wise for quite some time.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I finished the Cybrex chain for the first time in my life. To my surprise I found a ringworld! I didn't even know what the reward would be. Sadly it was in enemy territory, so they had to go.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

OGS-Remix posted:

I think there's a bug with the "new" precursor events popping up. You need to select a science ship to actually see the "new" anomaly to explore; if you're selecting something else it won't show up.

I've definitely taken more care in remembering the system name of the new anomaly though.
That could be it. But I'm very sure I tried looking with a science ship or using the view mode that enables all the clutter. Should be easy to load up the save tomorrow and check.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

I finished the Cybrex chain for the first time in my life. To my surprise I found a ringworld! I didn't even know what the reward would be. Sadly it was in enemy territory, so they had to go.

That was me last game, it was like "survey it before someone else does!" Yeah okay

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The reward systems are generated at random when you complete the 6th piece. I'm pretty sure only human controlled empires can now collect the reward for completing the quest but if the system spawns in a really lovely location it can still suck because you lose out on any potential colonies, resources or anomalies that also spawn in the system. I've taken to save scumming right before analyzing the last artifact so I can just reload if it does something irritating like spawn on the other side of the galaxy. Every time you reload and scan the planet again it changes the location of the reward.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

I play iron man like a real iron man (or Iron Lady)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The reward systems are generated at random when you complete the 6th piece. I'm pretty sure only human controlled empires can now collect the reward for completing the quest but if the system spawns in a really lovely location it can still suck because you lose out on any potential colonies, resources or anomalies that also spawn in the system. I've taken to save scumming right before analyzing the last artifact so I can just reload if it does something irritating like spawn on the other side of the galaxy. Every time you reload and scan the planet again it changes the location of the reward.

Yeah I do that too. You usually get a nice top off on your unity for surveying the planet so if you time things well it's basically a free point in a tree.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Playing as Fanatic Purifiers, is there a good way of dealing with the self-modifying event chain? Sadly found out I can’t just quickly purge them.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Shadowlyger posted:

I think the only repairable ringworld you can find is the one from the Cybrex precursor chain.

The Mech FE that lives on ringworlds has two broken ones for you to repair if you conquer them. Which is a bit of a nightmare in comparison to other FEs, because they only have one settled system so they're harder to bait.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer
My 13 year old nephew is into strategy games and wants to play online with his fat goon uncle (me). Since his birthday is soon I decided to buy him a game and I got a lot of recommendations for Stellaris. After reading a bit around the Games threads, I am not so sure anymore since I am looking for something where an online multiplayer game with 2-3 persons can be concluded in maybe 1-2 hours.

- Whats the typical length of an online multiplayer game in Stellaris?
- Is the multiplayer any good anyways?
- Should I rather get Crusader Kings II? (Europa Universalis IV is probably too complex - for me)

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any 4x type game that could be played to completion that quickly. Is there any reason you can't play the same game over multiple sessions?

Sins of a Solar Empire might fit the bill. Haven't played it in years, but I remember games resolving reasonably quickly. It's also currently 75% off on Steam.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any 4x type game that could be played to completion that quickly. Is there any reason you can't play the same game over multiple sessions?

Sins of a Solar Empire might fit the bill. Haven't played it in years, but I remember games resolving reasonably quickly. It's also currently 75% off on Steam.

Several sessions would be possible, so I assume we can do savegames then! (Couldn't find anything about that actually.)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

tooterfish posted:

If you play on small maps, yeah, otherwise it still gets easily to the 20+ hour mark and is kinda boring.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I can't imagine playing a single SotSE game for 20 hours.

dogboy posted:

Several sessions would be possible, so I assume we can do savegames then! (Couldn't find anything about that actually.)
It's as easy as purging xenos, just a button press away.

https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/User_interface#Multiplayer

quote:

If the game is a continuation of a previous session, the host needs to choose the Host Saved Game function and - after repeat the first step (server name etc.) - pick the desired save game (single player saves may be used as well).

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Poil posted:

Yeah, I got one or two bugs with it. Once, the window popped up and the name of the system that the anomaly had appeared in was blank. Another time, it either didn't appear or disappeared after a short time.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

dogboy posted:

My 13 year old nephew is into strategy games and wants to play online with his fat goon uncle (me). Since his birthday is soon I decided to buy him a game and I got a lot of recommendations for Stellaris. After reading a bit around the Games threads, I am not so sure anymore since I am looking for something where an online multiplayer game with 2-3 persons can be concluded in maybe 1-2 hours.

- Should I rather get Crusader Kings II? (Europa Universalis IV is probably too complex - for me)

Maybe Civilization Revolution for android/ipad? No pc version.

Perhaps Rise of Nations, the old rts made by Brian Reynolds of Civ II? It was intended to be fast multiplayer rts version of Civilization. My guess is this is your best bet. Has a new enhanced edition on steam and is probably on sale now.

I believe the game Offworld Trading Company was made to be a "lunch break game". Don't know much more about it.

Paradox games are awesome, but playtime is measured in dozens of hours (multiple dozens). :lol:

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 28, 2017

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Maybe Civilization Revolution for android/ipad? No pc version.

Perhaps Rise of Nations, the old rts made by Brian Reynolds of Civ II? It was intended to be fast multiplayer rts version of Civilization. My guess is this is your best bet. Has a new enhanced edition on steam and is probably on sale now.

I believe the game Offworld Trading Company was made to be a "lunch break game". Don't know much more about it.

Paradox games are awesome, but playtime is measured in dozens of hours (multiple dozens). :lol:

Rise of Nations is awesome, and the Steam version is every bit as good as I remember it being 15ish years ago. $5 on Steam right now.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

gowb posted:

The fleet cap is honestly just a suggestion - keep your fleet as big as your energy income allows

Fleet maintenance can also eat into mineral income - this last game I just finished, at one point my fleet actually dumped me hard into -500 deficits on both energy and minerals when I took it out of port.

Captain Invictus posted:

I think the AI needs a bit of fixing. So the Contingency keeps taking/losing planets in various empire territories. I can't figure out why, so I start taking it to them because they're annoying. Destroy two of the planets, and still no sign of the other 20+ empires' fleets. Go to take on the third one and

They've got a completely ridiculous doomstack of doomstacks in this one system, every single empire's fleets are clustered there. Millions of fleet firepower, just mulling about in a pile. They do occasionally move, though: only when the Contingency takes a planet and begins genociding the populace. Then the fleets return to the pile. Oh, and they make drat sure to show up to the after-party once I've wiped out the defense fleets of the manufacturing planets and am just bombarding it to death, waiting for the 20k life to tick down. Useless jerks. I'm gonna leave the last one alive and go around killing everyone while they occupy themselves with that because everyone super duper hates me ever since I went synth, so gently caress'em

I noticed this happening too; I'd go engage a Contingency planet, and then suddenly the galactic federation's fleets start showing up.

I also ran into a similar thing where everyone started hating me so I left the last Contingency planet alive to keep them occupied. I'd started aggressively annexing my rear end in a top hat neighbor to the east, which shot my Threat up tremendously and left the entire rest of the galaxy hating me (Even my stalwart allies to the west who'd always been there for me. :( ) to the point where they even let the assholes join the federation.

Funny thing, I was thinking to myself "if they close up all their borders I'm not gonna be able to pick off that last Contingency sector, I'd better sally the fleet and deal with it now" but then I wised up and checked, and sure enough if I'd followed through I would have handed the federation a victory and lost the game, because you can't win the game while a crisis is in effect (even if that crisis is totally bottled up and not going anywhere).

So, not wanting to take on the entire galaxy single-handed (I might have been willing to roll the dice, but Fastest was running at about the same speed as Normal by this point and I was really just wanting to win the game already) I set about building several habitats and fixing up the old Cybrex ringworld (which I hadn't been able to earlier due to working on the Sensor Array and the Dyson Sphere - oh yeah, that fleet deficit I mentioned up top? Was with a fully finished Dyson Sphere in play) and pushed myself over the edge for a Domination victory. Then I went and finished off the Contingency, and shortly after that got the victory screen.

Funny enough, going ham on those habs and ringworlds also pumped my income and fleet cap high enough I could roll that 580K fleet around without even needing Grand Fleet on.

Definitely keeping to not-Large galaxies in future games, though... that end-game slowdown was brutal.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 28, 2017

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I'm also going to plug Rise of Nations. That game is great.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Trivia posted:

I'm also going to plug Rise of Nations. That game is great.

Strikes me as a great game you can get through in an hour or two with a 13 year old.

I hate rts games, but even I thought it was decent (if not quite my personal cup of tea.)

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

dogboy posted:

I don't know if this works for you but Starcraft 2 is now 'free' and has a coop mode that could be perfect for this scale of play. Likewise Red Alert 3 is a personal favourite since it can be played in short sessions and the narrative campaign is 2 player.

As far as Stellaris goes it's great in multiplayer and can be saved/resumed but is definitely a slower paced long-scale game (as with all Paradox titles).

Crusader Kings 2 could be great for him because winning/losing doesn't actually 'matter' so much as pissing around in medieval europe (and beyond). Think of it as the worlds best RPG rather than a strategy game 'per say'.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nickiepoo posted:

'per say'.

per se.

quote:

Borrowed from Latin per se (“by itself”), from per (“by, through”) and se (“itself, himself, herself, themselves”).
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/per_se

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Oh yeah, whoops.

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.

I loving love you and hate you.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It isn't officially a Paradox thread until people start lecturing each other on how to propetly speak latin.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

dogboy posted:

I'd suggest getting Stellaris, you can play it in ~2 hr chunks and that would be a fairly decent way to step through the game. 4x games typically require at least ~8-20 hrs for a playthrough with any decent level of complexity, even Civ games, so I'd say go ahead and try Stellaris as a great mix of depth and accessibility.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It isn't officially a Paradox thread until people start lecturing each other on how to propetly speak latin.

It's bonī and malī.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bonus#Latin
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/malus#Latin

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

When I hear people use those words it makes me want to go all Julius Caesar on their rear end. I will go out of my way to rephrase a sentence so that it doesn't use 'bonus' as a plural whenever it comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Psychotic Weasel posted:

When I hear people use those words it makes me want to go all Julius Caesar on their rear end. I will go out of my way to rephrase a sentence so that it doesn't use 'bonus' as a plural whenever it comes up.

Iulius Kaisaar you mean.

• Locked thread