Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I just started on Unseen Academicals, and the dedication at the start - to the fellow who typed most of the book - made me really sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
It's the tides of life, old son.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

The best part of UA was Nutt or whoever trying to explain the offsides rule. I couldn't understand it at all :psyduck:.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

John Charity Spring posted:

I just started on Unseen Academicals, and the dedication at the start - to the fellow who typed most of the book - made me really sad.

Wilkins is featured in BBC's documentary on Pratchett's illness, it's heartbreaking to see his concern.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
To the people I talked to RE: sending you some books, I've been busy but I'm going to try and mail them out tomorrow/Monday.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

BlueGrot posted:

Wilkins is featured in BBC's documentary on Pratchett's illness, it's heartbreaking to see his concern.

That documentary was very sad. But it gave him and many other sufferers a little hope when he had a good look at some of the possible cures.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

False hopes imo, he is now considering assisted suicide when it gets too severe.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Unfortunately, eating the arse out of a dead mole seems not to have slowed the progression.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Has he started collecting cats yet?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

John Dough posted:

Has he started collecting cats yet?

Death likes cats, thats why they have nine lives.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

BlueGrot posted:

I'm 4/5ths through Unseen Academicals and I'm sad to say it's one of his lesser books, some nice bits though. Nutt is a good character who should be used in other books.

Vetinari fraternizing with football fans and drinking beer was not needed, prolly the alzheimers.

Can't wait for the next book with Moist Von Lipwig though.

That wasn't Vetinari, it was his body double from The Truth damnit!

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

:smith: Since December I've been reading the Discworld books and enjoying them immensely, but unfortunately my copy of "Hogfather" has a slight issue. Pages 145-192 are entirely missing, having been replaced by pages 257-304. The rest of the book is fine, going from 193 to the end, including the normal set of 257-304.

I'm not really a big book reader, so I have no idea what to do with this. Is this a known issue with a certain print? Send an e-mail to the store/publisher? Or just get a new copy as it's not worth the hassle?

Also, will I miss out on much in future books if I skip this one for the moment? The books were bought in London and I'm from Belgium, so I can't really hop over to get a new copy :(

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

nimby posted:

The books were bought in London and I'm from Belgium, so I can't really hop over to get a new copy :(

Have you looked at http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780552145428/Hogfather? It's a UK based online bookstore with free worldwide shipping which I've been using for quite some time.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

nimby posted:

I'm not really a big book reader, so I have no idea what to do with this. Is this a known issue with a certain print? Send an e-mail to the store/publisher? Or just get a new copy as it's not worth the hassle?

Get in touch with the publisher. I'm pretty sure I've heard of that exact issue with Hogfather before.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

nimby posted:

Also, will I miss out on much in future books if I skip this one for the moment? The books were bought in London and I'm from Belgium, so I can't really hop over to get a new copy :(

I wouldn't say you would. I don't believe any of the other arcs have much of anything to do with the events of Hogfather. You might want to hold off on Thief of Time until after you can finally read Hogfather, but that still leaves a lot for you to read.

VVVVV I have actually just been rereading Jingo, it's amazing :) All the Watch books are, really. I've read all the Watch, Witches and Death books and pretty much all the standalone/Moist books, with the exception of Making Money. But somehow I just can't get myself to pick up the back half of the Rincewind books :(

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 4, 2010

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Thanks for the advice! Guess I'll start with Jingo tonight then :)

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Mokinokaro posted:

Get in touch with the publisher. I'm pretty sure I've heard of that exact issue with Hogfather before.

I think that happened with my copy of Thud!, or something similar. One section of the book was skipped and replaced with a later section. When that section was over it went back to the correct section and then worked fine from there. It almost felt like an attempt to expand the page count or something.

And yeah, Hogfather doesn't tie in too much with Jingo. Definitely read it before the next Death book though if you can.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Men at Arms and Thud are the last two for the Discworld Cup, I was expecting Night Watch in the final and wasn't suprised the Watch books were the winners nearly all the time.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

Men at Arms and Thud are the last two for the Discworld Cup, I was expecting Night Watch in the final and wasn't suprised the Watch books were the winners nearly all the time.

Going Postal beat Small Gods...whhaaaa :psyduck:. I mean, Going Postal was good and all, but come on, Brother Brutha!

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Yeah, I wasn't expecting either of those outcomes. Thud beating Night Watch blows my mind, it was a fun book but I always felt the Night Watch was pretty widely agreed to be the favorite of all of them.

Small Gods losing is a little bit less surprising, I figure there has to be a sect of readers out there that it offended, that none-the-less like the rest of the books, tied with people voting for Going Postal because they liked the adaptation and it's recently on their minds.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Loutre posted:

Yeah, I wasn't expecting either of those outcomes. Thud beating Night Watch blows my mind, it was a fun book but I always felt the Night Watch was pretty widely agreed to be the favorite of all of them.

Small Gods losing is a little bit less surprising, I figure there has to be a sect of readers out there that it offended, that none-the-less like the rest of the books, tied with people voting for Going Postal because they liked the adaptation and it's recently on their minds.

Terry Pratchett writes great, entertaining books. All of the Discworld novels are such. But, in addition to being great and entertaining, Small Gods is Literature, with a capital L, a feat that few other Discworld books can even get close to. It will always be the "best"* book in my eyes and the one I would have wanted to win.

*an entirely separate concept from "my favorite," Thief of Time (Night Watch takes second and Small Gods third; notice a pattern? I have a giant man-crush on Lu-Tze).

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I'm reading through The Color of Magic now, and I've picked up Guards! Guards! and Men at Arms. I'm really liking it so far, what Discworld book do you think I should start on after those?

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

chutche2 posted:

I'm reading through The Color of Magic now, and I've picked up Guards! Guards! and Men at Arms. I'm really liking it so far, what Discworld book do you think I should start on after those?

Now's a good a time as any to bring back the (slightly out of date) Discworld Reader's Guide:

The unlisted books are Unseen Academicals, sort of a Rincewind/other Wizards type and a followup story to Going Postal called Making Money.

The Watch novels are probably the most popular overall, with the later Death and Industrial Revolution books and the fantastic Small Gods as a standalone. I personally also love the Young Adult stuff if you don't mind the younger style, which (ha!) are largely a spin-off of the Witches books. Of course, it's difficult to go too far wrong.

I still generally dis-recommend FaustEric and Moving Pictures. And I would note that the next Rincewind book is one of the few direct story sequels if you feel you need closure with the bathysphere situation.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
You should definitely read The Light Fantastic after Colour of Magic, since it follows on from it directly.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Hey, awesome. Thanks.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Night Watch is Pratchett's magnum opus imo. The way everything just comes together towards the end.

D-Rider
Dec 18, 2009
Thanks for that handy chart. I've only now started reading the Discworld books, and I've just been buying and reading them in chronological order. I didn't really dig the first two books at all, but I thought that was just Pratchett going through some growing pains or whatnot. While that's probably true to an extent, after reading "Sourcery" I've decided that I just don't like Rincewind very much. :P Now I can just skip his books for the time being.

"Mort" has probably been my favorite so far, but "Wyrd Sisters" is a drat close second.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The best bit in Mort is towards the end when their sneaking about Deaths place thinking they could still fix the massive mess they made on time and Death just totally appears from nowhere and pretty much schools them.

Then the aftermath of his fight with Mort :3:.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Brother Brutha!

:aaa:

Oh, for Christ's sake! If asked I would call Small Gods my favorite book by Pratchett, and in fact one of my favorite books ever. I cannot believe I never noticed that. My sole weak defense is that in my head I always pronounced his name as rhyming with Ruth-ah.

creamyhorror
Mar 11, 2006
the incredible adventures of superworm across America

wheatpuppy posted:

Oh, for Christ's sake! If asked I would call Small Gods my favorite book by Pratchett, and in fact one of my favorite books ever. I cannot believe I never noticed that. My sole weak defense is that in my head I always pronounced his name as rhyming with Ruth-ah.
My own defense is that my 11-year-old brain only saw it as broo-thah, never having seen "brudda" or the like in writing before.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

wheatpuppy posted:

'The turtle moves?'
'Not this one, friend'.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

wheatpuppy posted:

Vorbis jokes about him having to become a bishop ASAP to avoid the issues with being called "Father Brutha" or "Brother Brutha" after they come back from the desert and they assume Vorbis was the important one. It's his way of seeing if Brutha will accept being given a nice cushy easy position in the church hierarchy.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

wheatpuppy posted:

I actually didn't notice until uh, well until my sister mentioned it when she finished Small Gods a week or so ago...

I did the "broo-thuh" thing too :ohdear:....

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I feel dumb now, I didn't notice Mossy Lawn or Brother Brutha, it makes me wonder what others I've missed.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Rosie Palm.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I wish my Gods trilogy was stupidly misplaced in the attic, I really want reread Small Gods again.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

John Charity Spring posted:

Rosie Palm.

I still don't get this one.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Hand, masturbation joke.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Rosie Palm and her five daughters, the only women who will have sex with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Personally I didn't get the twelve and a half percent joke until someone pointed it out to me, which made me feel like a dumbass.