Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

The video said the driver watched him just drift off the side before the guard rail.
That's been known to happen to at least one perfectly (physically) healthy poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

M4rg4r1ne posted:

That's been known to happen to at least one perfectly (physically) healthy poster.

This guy wasn't riding a mootercycle though, he could turn. He was capable of almost outrunning me on that road and I literally rode it twice a day or more every day for over two years on different bikes.

I'll be avoiding that road for a bit, they'll be stepping up their enforcement there for sure.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

The video said the driver watched him just drift off the side before the guard rail.
This, combined with that driver saying that he passed her on the right before leaving the pavement for first the shoulder, then the field, then the creek to the right of the guardrail is what has me wondering if it wasn't, in the words of George Carlin, a gah dahm mahyacahdial infahction!

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Found out the guy had a case here in court for shooting at some kids with a shotgun. He really wanted them off his lawn maybe?

It wasn't going well for him and it's a possibility the wreck was intentional. I wasn't close with the guy, we just rode the same road every day and had stopped to talk about bikes once or twice. I just hate to lose fellow riders no matter the circumstance.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

that one guy chad fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 28, 2017

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Jesus Christ... note to self, gently caress that mountain.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Jesus Christ... note to self, gently caress that mountain.

No, gently caress the idiots who ride it.

Jesus gently caress that was some loving terrible riding. Head constantly over the DY, never making it to the apex of a corner on rights, early turn in and apex all the goddamn time. Sticking your knees out with jeans on, riding in some kind of formation, lovely passes midcorner, gunning it in the straights and parking it in the corners.

"Riders" like that are why I avoid any well traveled road on the weekends.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
And why I stay far far away from group rides of any sort.

For fucks sake.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's some sportbike forum poo poo.

edit: LOL just caught a speed limit 25 sign.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 27, 2013

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

No, gently caress the idiots who ride it.

Jesus gently caress that was some loving terrible riding. Head constantly over the DY, never making it to the apex of a corner on rights, early turn in and apex all the goddamn time. Sticking your knees out with jeans on, riding in some kind of formation, lovely passes midcorner, gunning it in the straights and parking it in the corners.

"Riders" like that are why I avoid any well traveled road on the weekends.

Not a single person claims to be fast and nobody was out trying to race. There were two riders who were pushing their limits, and they wrecked, the rest of us were just messing around. The things you are complaining about weren't even in the section that I linked either. So, I'm not sure why you're bringing it in here.

I posted up here to, hopefully, remind people that riding at any pace can be ridiculously dangerous. If you'd like to disagree with that sentiment though then I don't know what to say.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
None of the things I mentioned have a drat to do with riding fast. They have to do with riding safely. Riding is far more dangerous when you don't know what you're doing and you willfully choose to make lovely decisions about how you ride...and there was a lot of both of those things in that video from everyone involved. That's the problem. Not the speed.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Anytime you participate in a joint activity with other people, you take some share of the responsibility for their actions. Yes, they should have known better, but you should have known better too. Those accidents were preventable. You might want to think about your approach to riding and the social dynamics in the group of people you ride with before anyone else gets hurt.

Edit: I hope you don't feel besieged by these responses. I don't know you and I don't mean to judge you. I am just speaking from experience, of things I had to learn and am still learning.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 2, 2012

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

I take some responsibility in the sense that we had 3 new riders wreck, and clearly, something went wrong if that occurred.

We're a tight-knit group of friends who ride together, and have been riding together, for about 3 years. During that time, our accident rate has been remarkably low. We average only one or two a year.

I take responsibility in the sense that I could have taken the riders aside and rode with them in the group to make sure they were okay. I didn't do that, that was an err on my part.

Beyond that, I don't take any responsibility for it and neither should I. We had 3 different stops where we pulled everyone together and warned them about the road. Each time it was stressed that there are hazards such as gravel, tar snakes, loose sand, wind and many other dangers to be mindful of. Each rider wrecked while alone and each had taken off without being near others who knew the road. They made a decision to place themselves in a dangerous position, I can't do anything about that. The first guy took off before anyone. The second guy broke off from the group to push it. The third was just new rider error and they had somebody there with them just to make sure they were okay.

The flip-side to this is that nsaP is definitely right. The whole story reeks of sportbike forum level ridiculousness. The core members have already started talking about what we can do to reduce the risk for newer people. We're reticent to implement strict lead-rider policy, with no DY passing, etc. We're definitely going to try to do something though. Hopefully that assuages your concerns.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

NipplesTheCat posted:

We average only one or two a year.

You don't think that's a high rate of occurrence? My group of riding friends haven't had a wreck in the last 6 years, not even a close call.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

clutchpuck posted:

You don't think that's a high rate of occurrence? My group of riding friends haven't had a wreck in the last 6 years, not even a close call.

Do you putt around on side streets or something? No close calls in 6 years? That's drat near impossible, especially if you do any sort of track or canyon riding.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

I don't really consider it that high. Although we've never had a lifeflight, head injury or serious wreck prior to this. They were all minor ones that the people got up from immediately.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Do you putt around on side streets or something? No close calls in 6 years? That's drat near impossible, especially if you do any sort of track or canyon riding.

That's called riding correctly.

Sure, there will be soccer moms on cell phones and sixteen year old drivers on the road, but it's your responsibility to control yourself.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

BlackMK4 posted:

Pace riding on deserted backroads mostly. Don't have a lot of good accessible canyons in Washington within a day ride's distance. We're mostly into riding up around the Cascade foothills, curvy valley highways, and mountain switchbacks (one of the favorites http://g.co/maps/62d5q). We definitely try not to have accidents, but we do ride like dongs whenever it's appropriate.

Do you guys have pre-ride safety chats and stuff? Once a year, before big trips, and/or any time we get new riders in the group, we go over our group riding dos and don'ts. It sounds lame but it helps keep safety on the mind.

edit: watch this jinx me.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 3, 2012

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

Pace riding on deserted backroads mostly. Don't have a lot of good accessible canyons in Washington within a day ride's distance. We're mostly into riding up around the Cascade foothills, curvy valley highways, and mountain switchbacks (one of the favorites http://g.co/maps/62d5q). We definitely try not to have accidents, but we do ride like dongs whenever it's appropriate.

Do you guys have pre-ride safety chats and stuff? Once a year, before big trips, and/or any time we get new riders in the group, we go over our group riding dos and don'ts. It sounds lame but it helps keep safety on the mind.

Yeah, we had 3 pre-ride safety chats yesterday. One before we left, one at a gas station along the way, one at the base of the hill. The video is somewhat deceiving as the road's conditions are really quite bad. There's loose granite everywhere, tar snakes that force you to choose different lines, cresting in the middle of the road for water-run off and other nonsense. It's really not a good place for newer riders at all.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

NipplesTheCat posted:

Yeah, we had 3 pre-ride safety chats yesterday. One before we left, one at a gas station along the way, one at the base of the hill. The video is somewhat deceiving as the road's conditions are really quite bad. There's loose granite everywhere, tar snakes that force you to choose different lines, cresting in the middle of the road for water-run off and other nonsense. It's really not a good place for newer riders at all.

NipplesTheCat posted:

We had 3 different stops where we pulled everyone together and warned them about the road. Each time it was stressed that there are hazards such as gravel, tar snakes, loose sand, wind and many other dangers to be mindful of.

Those accidents had nothing to do with the road and everything to do with behavior and attitude, a point that you seem to have missed in your pre-ride safety chats, and continue to miss in your analysis of the circumstances leading up to the accidents.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

MotoMind posted:

Those accidents had nothing to do with the road and everything to do with behavior and attitude, a point that you seem to have missed in your pre-ride safety chats, and continue to miss in your analysis of the circumstances leading up to the accidents.

Prior to your itemization of things you were to take with you on your road-trip north, I had no idea bear mace existed. I suspect that we may have different outlooks on the world and will find no agreement.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The spirit of mootmoot lives on. Willful ignorance or idiocy? Only you can decide that!

clutchpuck posted:

When the "leaders" of the group have no idea what a good line is, are consistently following too close, making stupid DY passes mid-corner, occasionally on what looks like blind corners, running up the asses of the riders in front of them, how do you honestly believe them capable of telling people "safety concerns"? Like it or not, the front riders are going to be the ones who set the pace and the attitude of the ride, and when they don't understand what responsible riding or good riding technique is, it's impossible for them to pass that on to the other riders in the group.

Unfortunately, it'll probably take one of them getting seriously injured or killed before the flippant comments stop and they realize that 1-2 crashes a year is loving crazy, especially considering they're riding on the street.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 3, 2012

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm gonna agree with Z3n on this one. A lot of what was in the video could have been easily avoided by practicing proper leadership. I'm nowhere nearly as advanced when it comes to riding and setting an example helps to set certain parameters that ensure the safety of riders. If I'm not familiar with a road, I'll always obey the speed limits of signs going into corners, but if somebody ahead of me is pushing it, I end up wanting to push a bit more too. It ends up increasing the level of risk of the ride.

I've nearly crashed twice going into turns too hot because I didn't know what was coming up and honestly motorcycle crash statistics reflect what people preach when it comes to safety.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

The spirit of mootmoot lives on. Willful ignorance or idiocy? Only you can decide that!

When the "leaders" of the group have no idea what a good line is, are consistently following too close, making stupid DY passes mid-corner, occasionally on what looks like blind corners, running up the asses of the riders in front of them, how do you honestly believe them capable of telling people "safety concerns"? Like it or not, the front riders are going to be the ones who set the pace and the attitude of the ride, and when they don't understand what responsible riding or good riding technique is, it's impossible for them to pass that on to the other riders in the group.

Unfortunately, it'll probably take one of them getting seriously injured or killed before the flippant comments stop and they realize that 1-2 crashes a year is loving crazy, especially considering they're riding on the street.

1.) I wasn't a lead rider, this much should at least be evident by the fact that I come up on somebody who had wrecked on his own.
2.) We don't operate using a lead rider system at all, each person is told on every ride that the pace they set is the pace they set. There is no expectation of others to babysit or to stay in a group.
3.) Because of these things, we operate less as a group per se and more as "people who ride the same route at the same time."
4.) I've really no need to justify line choice, apex choice or speed choice to somebody who's never so much as been to Kitt Peak, let alone ridden it.

I didn't post this in here to start a flame war, neither was it my intention, yet inevitably you drag it into the mud. I've by-and-large been polite, and even a cursory overview of what I've said in my previous posts will reveal a willingness to change things for more safety. All that you've done is engaged in ad-hominem exercises, thrown out criticisms on technique on sections of the video which neither caused accidents nor were brought in for discussions.

Encouraging safety is great, I highly recommend that and encourage such things. I even support the overall CA Hive-Mind in creating a community which wants people to be as safe as possible. But you've got to accept that others might have a world-view different than yours and that might include things you don't approve of. There might even be Harley riders on this here board. And, while it may not be as "correct" as your perspective, there's no need to treat them as criminals.

My original post was simply that we had 3 riders down because mistakes were made. Whether they were my mistake, their mistake, or others mistakes is, thanks to you, now irrelevant. I suspect that everybody can learn from at least that and go from there. The thread has now been wonderfully derailed though, and I would suggest we end this. It's now contributing nothing beyond flaming. Unless it's the case that you're super gung-ho about continuing your critiques from your many-varied experiences derived from an abbreviated racing career and british racing magazines. Then, please, by all means, carry on.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Just curious Xovaan, did you go into any of the turns uncomfortably hot on our little ride in Santa Cruz? I thought you had once or twice, but you seemed to ride with composure overall so I wasn't sure.

NipplesTheCat posted:

Prior to your itemization of things you were to take with you on your road-trip north, I had no idea bear mace existed. I suspect that we may have different outlooks on the world and will find no agreement.

It's not about my outlook on my own safety. I do unreasonable things with unreasonable vehicles. I never used the bear spray, but I did ride around a campsite once to scare away a full-grown grizzly bear, then raced toward it when I saw it in an open field nearby.

I have a higher appetite for risk than most other people.

What I have learned, however, is that I don't have the right to get people hurt. It sucks when you look at someone in a hospital bed and think about what you could have done differently to keep them out of it, but you can't do anything to turn back time. All you can do is learn from your mistakes. It's still a learning process in how I view risk, responsibility, and group activities.

I think this is a healthy debate and I'm glad you're approaching it civilly.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 3, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NipplesTheCat posted:

1.) I wasn't a lead rider, this much should at least be evident by the fact that I come up on somebody who had wrecked on his own.
2.) We don't operate using a lead rider system at all, each person is told on every ride that the pace they set is the pace they set. There is no expectation of others to babysit or to stay in a group.
3.) Because of these things, we operate less as a group per se and more as "people who ride the same route at the same time."
4.) I've really no need to justify line choice, apex choice or speed choice to somebody who's never so much as been to Kitt Peak, let alone ridden it.

1: If you're passing people, you're acting as a lead rider to them.
2: That's fine. But that's also a direct contradiction to what you say earlier about "changing the setup of your rides to have better group safety".
4: I don't need to ride a road to know when you consistently early apex (because you end running into the DY when you shouldn't), are continually hanging your head over the DY, are making poor choices about when to pass, and that you are in a group that is not handling it's riders well.

quote:

I didn't post this in here to start a flame war, neither was it my intention, yet inevitably you drag it into the mud. I've by-and-large been polite, and even a cursory overview of what I've said in my previous posts will reveal a willingness to change things for more safety. All that you've done is engaged in ad-hominem exercises, thrown out criticisms on technique on sections of the video which neither caused accidents nor were brought in for discussions.

Do you seriously believe there are no warning signs of upcoming crashing? I have been on dozens, if not hundreds of group rides, and group rides like yours send me in the opposite direction because I have cleaned up too many idiots off the side of the road. I would have to be blind to not recognize the signals at this point, and your entire video from start to finish screams "accidents waiting to happen". All of the things I mention in my very first post are the primary signs of impending doom.

There were 3 loving accidents on your ride. 3. Jesus loving Christ, how many people have to crash before you re-evaluate how you ride? The fact that your dismiss your street accidents because they have been "minor" is incredibly dangerous. The difference between laughing it off and going headfirst into a bumper in a "minor accident" is pure luck, and it looks like you guys have already used a shitload of luck. Your "group" crashes 1-2 times a year. On the street. That's loving crazy, and will eventually kill or seriously injure one of you.

quote:

Encouraging safety is great, I highly recommend that and encourage such things. I even support the overall CA Hive-Mind in creating a community which wants people to be as safe as possible. But you've got to accept that others might have a world-view different than yours and that might include things you don't approve of. There might even be Harley riders on this here board. And, while it may not be as "correct" as your perspective, there's no need to treat them as criminals.

This isn't a "world view difference". I am observing the behaviors that I have personally seen lead to accident after accident. I'm not saying this because I want to make you feel like a lovely rider, I'm saying this because I don't want to read an RIP thread, or more posts in this thread.

quote:

My original post was simply that we had 3 riders down because mistakes were made. Whether they were my mistake, their mistake, or others mistakes is, thanks to you, now irrelevant. I suspect that everybody can learn from at least that and go from there. The thread has now been wonderfully derailed though, and I would suggest we end this. It's now contributing nothing beyond flaming. Unless it's the case that you're super gung-ho about continuing your critiques from your many-varied experiences derived from an abbreviated racing career and british racing magazines. Then, please, by all means, carry on.

It hasn't been derailed. You're just butthurt because we're not treating you nicely enough because you ride like poo poo, and we're probably the only people willing to call you on it. No one wants to hear they're a lovely rider, and I get that, but hopefully you'll take this as a learning experience to learn about how to ride better. Because that video is loving terrifying. Me and a friend of mine were watching it and cringing throughout the entire thing because of how you approach the road.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 3, 2012

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

MotoMind posted:

Just curious Xovaan, did you go into any of the turns uncomfortably hot on our little ride in Santa Cruz? I thought you had once or twice, but you seemed to ride with composure overall so I wasn't sure.

It's not about my outlook on my own safety. I do unreasonable things with unreasonable vehicles. I never used the bear spray, but I did ride around a campsite once to scare away a full-grown grizzly bear, then raced toward it when I saw it in an open field nearby.

I have a higher appetite for risk than most other people.

What I have learned, however, is that I don't have the right to get people hurt. It sucks when you look at someone in a hospital bed and think about what you could have done differently to keep them out of it, but you can't do anything to turn back time. All you can do is learn from your mistakes. It's still a learning process in how I view risk, responsibility, and group activities.

I think this is a healthy debate and I'm glad you're approaching it civilly.

I actually agree with you 100% about this. It was definitely a sobering moment visiting both of those guys in the ER. Because of that, I've been looking at our own 'group's' structure, and talking with other people in it, about how it is we can change things. I suspect though that where there's a disconnect is just how much we're responsible for the other people at the end of the day.

If we were a group with real organization, ride-leaders, etc, then it'd definitely be the case that it'd be something really at the forefront of my mind. That is, how it is we can better protect new people. We're not that though. And, I think that because there was no expectation for me to be looking out for the other riders that I don't feel as if I was personally responsible for them. I'm there for them when they need me, i.e. when they wreck, but I don't feel an obligation beyond that to be looking out for them.

I'd be remiss to admit that we're the safest group. We just had three riders down in one day, two with arguably serious injuries. We're definitely not the safest group. I'd definitely like to see us become a 'safer' group though, and if it means that we've got to slow it down then that's definitely what we're going to be looking at doing.

Where that line gets drawn though I suppose will be different for everyone. As for myself, I'm definitely going to be reconsidering how it is that I pass people, and even, thanks to Z3n, the speed at which I come up on them. Double-yellow passing, well, we'll see about that one.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

Do you seriously believe there are no warning signs of upcoming crashing? I have been on dozens, if not hundreds of group rides, and group rides like yours send me in the opposite direction because I have cleaned up too many idiots off the side of the road. I would have to be blind to not recognize the signals at this point, and your entire video from start to finish screams "accidents waiting to happen". All of the things I mention in my very first post are the primary signs of impending doom.

We'd actually had a talk with rider 1 about how he'd been pushing himself too hard prior to this ride. So, you're right, there are real warning signs.

Z3n posted:

There were 3 loving accidents on your ride. 3. Jesus loving Christ, how many people have to crash before you re-evaluate how you ride? The fact that your dismiss your street accidents because they have been "minor" is incredibly dangerous. The difference between laughing it off and going headfirst into a bumper in a "minor accident" is pure luck, and it looks like you guys have already used a shitload of luck. Your "group" crashes 1-2 times a year. On the street. That's loving crazy, and will eventually kill or seriously injure one of you.
We're a group of over 20, we can agree to disagree on what is or is not quantitatively a large number. I agree with you on the point about there being 3, and I don't think you'll have ever seen me say different. There were 3 wrecks, that's cause for concern, and one which I've taken.

Z3n posted:

This isn't a "world view difference". I am observing the behaviors that I have personally seen lead to accident after accident. I'm not saying this because I want to make you feel like a lovely rider, I'm saying this because I don't want to read an RIP thread, or more posts in this thread.
Your point's received on this, although the world-view comment was in regard to MotoMind and not necessarily everyone.

Z3n posted:

It hasn't been derailed. You're just butthurt because we're not treating you nicely enough because you ride like poo poo, and we're probably the only people willing to call you on it. No one wants to hear they're a lovely rider, and I get that, but hopefully you'll take this as a learning experience to learn about how to ride better. Because that video is loving terrifying. Me and a friend of mine were watching it and cringing throughout the entire thing because of how you approach the road.

I actually never claimed to be a fast rider, I'm well-aware that I'm not. Admittedly, I've become somewhat comfortable with where I'm at and haven't been really caring about breaking down each corner. I have just been hitting it. I'll try to be more mindful of that in the future, as I've not really been thinking about it much on the road lately.

A point you might consider is the method of delivery which you give critique. It's one thing to critique another's riding skill, it's highly another to give unwanted critique and do so in a denigrating manner. If you want to give critique, that's fine, do so. Do so in a manner that isn't "OMG UR A lovely RIDER" though. People don't respond well to that. That being said, feel free to give any advice you want at this point. If there's a specific turn, then by all means, break it down for me.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
Somebody buy Z3n an avatar with a face so we can make Moose Milkie-esque gifs everytime he starts to effortpost like this.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

MotoMind posted:

Just one, but it's always caused me trouble no matter how I take it: past the 15mph hairpin on 9 there's a right hand turn uphill that causes me to scrape my toe slider. Outside of that it was a pretty fun ride. :)

We have to ride again if you're ever in Santa Cruz!

edit: I should add that the first road I've ever taken my bike on was Empire from 9. Boy that was a pretty intense first lesson. :gonk:

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 3, 2012

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Just one, but it's always caused me trouble no matter how I take it: past the 15mph hairpin on 9 there's a right hand turn uphill that causes me to scrape my toe slider. Outside of that it was a pretty fun ride. :)

We have to ride again if you're ever in Santa Cruz!

Oh good. I didn't know/remember that you were new to riding until later so I made zero adjustment to my riding style, which is by most accounts a poor example to anyone. I'll def let you know next time I'm down that way!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

quote:

A point you might consider is the method of delivery which you give critique. It's one thing to critique another's riding skill, it's highly another to give unwanted critique and do so in a denigrating manner. If you want to give critique, that's fine, do so. Do so in a manner that isn't "OMG UR A lovely RIDER" though. People don't respond well to that. That being said, feel free to give any advice you want at this point. If there's a specific turn, then by all means, break it down for me.

Ok, first of all:

I do owe you an apology. I just fired off that first post without really thinking about it, and I was a dick, and I'm sorry about that.

On the rest of it:
In a group ride situation, you should really try and minimize passing. Divide things up so that the faster riders go first and the slower riders go after. If you guys have been riding together for awhile, you should have a rough idea of the pecking order. Keeping folks organized by speed really helps avoid situations where someone passes someone and the person crashes, or someone crashes because they're trying to keep up with someone who's way over their head. It also prevents some situations where you run up on the rear end of someone who's obviously riding way slower than you.

The pass at 1:32 is a pretty bad idea. Passing on the inside is sort of a general no-no, especially considering midcorner. They could see you, they could not. If he gave you a solid wave forward that's not really visible on the camera, than disregard, but I couldn't see anything.

1:50 - You're target fixating on to the back of the guy in front of you and not giving him enough space. You're also coming out way too wide on exit, because there's visible gravel and hosed up pavement. The guy on the green bike is pretty terrible, all told, watching him try and pass to the inside at 2:00 is pretty bad.

You following him through on his pass midcorner at 2:10 which wasn't really a good idea.

You get really close at 2:43 for street riding, it's also putting you at the worst spot of the road, close to the turnout, where it's far more likely to get gravel/etc from cars pulling in and out.

At 3:10 you're hanging your head over the DY. The turn is pretty wide open so it's not a terrible thing but it's a bad habit to be in, learning to be more comfortable with the middle of the road is a good thing.

Green bike guy has issues on corner entry at 3:20 or so and you pass him. The pass on the truck at 3:35 is terrible, you're midpass when you cannot possibly see through the corner. The guy in front of you could have had plenty of space or he could have cut it close as gently caress and you would have had no idea until the bumper appeared. If that black car had left for their trip 10 or so seconds earlier, you could have been seriously hosed.

From there on it seems like in most right handers you never actually get that close to the inside line and hit a concrete apex, where in the left handers you're almost always hanging your head over the DY significantly, regardless of visibility through the corner. But it's hard to tell what's going on with no bikecam, the helmet can can be really deceiving.

The pass at 5:48 was a terrible idea. If he had dived for the inside there you would have been so hosed.

Most of the problems here are group ride problems...when you get a bunch of people together and someone tries to keep up or stay in front or whatever. If you're gonna have 20ish people riding together you have to address these things or people are going to keep getting hurt.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Ya nipples that was really bad riding, also don't ride at a pace you're not absolutely relaxed at on public roads and poo poo. My policy when I'm up in the mountains is that if I'm using the brakes, I'm going too fast.

This is me leading a ride on which one of the small dicked idiots decided to run from the cops. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cMR8oj6gAc&hd=1

Watch my right hand, don't touch the brakes, I'm riding fast enough to have fun and enjoy myself but not so fast that I'm actually having to slow down. Leave riding fast enough that you need to really get on the brakes for the track poo poo. Do this for a while your lines will get smoother and the speed at which you can ride relaxed will just keep getting faster. YW you big dummy.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Z3n posted:

Ok, first of all:
I do owe you an apology. I just fired off that first post without really thinking about it, and I was a dick, and I'm sorry about that.

Aren't we posting on SomethingAwful? Are we really here to mince words when riding this awful is posted on the Internet?

I rode in a terrible group a couple of years ago. One guy insisted on lane sharing with me on his god drat Gold Wing. Whenever he would pull up next to me, I'd speed up or slow down and he'd catch up. When we made our first stop he started screaming at me that I wasn't "group riding" correctly. I told him I wasn't comfortable and I wanted my entire lane. He responded by showing me all of his scars from running his old Harley into his friends on group rides.

I got on my bike and just left.

Perhaps Cycle Asylum needs a new title, "Group riding makes you stupid."

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

Divide things up so that the faster riders go first and the slower riders go after.

Don't you mean that the faster riders go in the back? Harmonica effect and all.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

KARMA! posted:

Don't you mean that the faster riders go in the back? Harmonica effect and all.

Wouldn't that make it so the slower riders in the front are being pushed to go faster by faster riders?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

americanzero4128 posted:

Wouldn't that make it so the slower riders in the front are being pushed to go faster by faster riders?

The leader (whoever is in front) sets the pace that everyone is comfortable with. Individuals slow down with corners, crossings and general traffic movements. This adds up though the riders, so that the last are the ones that slow down the most. To get back in formation, they need to be faster than the rest.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Crayvex posted:

Perhaps Cycle Asylum needs a new title, "Group riding makes you stupid."

Motion seconded

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

HNasty posted:

This is me leading a ride on which one of the small dicked idiots decided to run from the cops. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cMR8oj6gAc&hd=1

That's bullshit that they questioned all of you. Did they know he was a member of your group or were they just assuming that "all motorcyclists on a road are in the same GANG" or some poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
Also, z3n, shut up. Everyone knows you're a swell dude, knowledgeable, helpful, etc. but you still cannot stop yourself posting walls of text at any chance. That's not against the rules, so whatevs, but unloading on people like that IS, no matter what your reasons.

In an exchange where nipples is the sane, courteous, measured one and z3n is flying off the handle with...

"No, gently caress the idiots who ride it."

"Jesus gently caress that was some loving terrible riding."

"The spirit of mootmoot lives on. Willful ignorance or idiocy? Only you can decide that!"

"You're just butthurt because we're not treating you nicely enough because you ride like poo poo"

...then there's a problem. Stop pontificating at people.

• Locked thread