Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shao kong
Nov 6, 2002
The copy on that page is great. "Rage-proof durability: Fends off rage blasts thanks to the 1.6 mm thick steel frame and heavy duty braided cable"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
It looks OK, but now that mechanical keyboards are "in" and not just for purists who complain about anything newer than a meta key, I sure would like to see some with better feature sets.

Alpha Lyrae
May 25, 2011

A star made in flesh
I've really read a ton about keyboards this past week. After a bunch of reading and decision making I bought a silver label Model M on eBay to use as my main writing keyboard. I've never used anything other than membrane and scissor switch keyboards. I hope the buckling springs are to my liking!

Now, I find myself wanting to have a 2nd keyboard. A mechanical switch to be used for gaming and typing (when Im not using my Model M). I really like the blue's click, but the design limitation that can rear its head during gaming (double tapping problem) leaves me worried. If I had not gotten the Model M, I would have certainly bought a cherry blue board + a different mech. I'm leaning towards browns as a compromise. I really want to test blacks and reds because what if I am apart of that minority that prefer linear switches for general use? This could be solved if I could try these boards without having to buy them. Why can't Best Buy sell mechs T_T

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

From my experience - Razer is a really cheap brand.

I'm looking into a nice mechanical switch keyboard and naturally I was planning on getting the Das Keyboard. Looking at the price and the features of the Das Keyboard makes me reconsider. I was at Best Buy and saw the Razer BlackWidow Elite keyboard for the same price and mechanical switches with media buttons and assignable keys.

I'm worried about the letters wearing and the over-all plasticy feel of most Razer products. Anyone have any experience with this keyboard? Is it a good keyboard? Does it ware easily?

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

WASDF posted:

From my experience - Razer is a really cheap brand.

I'm looking into a nice mechanical switch keyboard and naturally I was planning on getting the Das Keyboard. Looking at the price and the features of the Das Keyboard makes me reconsider. I was at Best Buy and saw the Razer BlackWidow Elite keyboard for the same price and mechanical switches with media buttons and assignable keys.

I'm worried about the letters wearing and the over-all plasticy feel of most Razer products. Anyone have any experience with this keyboard? Is it a good keyboard? Does it ware easily?

I'm using the non backlit version and its as solid as a truck. Haven't noticed any wear on it, but the only real potential problem is the placement of the macro keys - until you get used to it, it'd probably pay not to bind them to anything because you will hit them accidentally (and miss the escape key when going for that). Other than that though, it does seem like a fairly major step up quality wise compared to Razer's normal quality control.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I'm looking for a gaming keyboard to replace my old blue g15.
It should support macros and needs to be "quiet" when I furiously smash the keys so I can play while my GF sleeps.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Tornhelm posted:

I'm using the non backlit version and its as solid as a truck. Haven't noticed any wear on it, but the only real potential problem is the placement of the macro keys - until you get used to it, it'd probably pay not to bind them to anything because you will hit them accidentally (and miss the escape key when going for that). Other than that though, it does seem like a fairly major step up quality wise compared to Razer's normal quality control.

Sweet, that's really helpful. I don't really care for the additional buttons too much anyway, but the media control buttons are really nice.

I'll take it into great consideration.

I didn't even notice the non-backlit version is $40 cheaper. Mos-def getting it.

WASDF fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 1, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

the panacea posted:

I'm looking for a gaming keyboard to replace my old blue g15.
It should support macros and needs to be "quiet" when I furiously smash the keys so I can play while my GF sleeps.

Why are you replacing it, is there something that annoys you about it or did it just wear out?

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

REDjackeT posted:

I actually want to replace my 6Gv2 because I'm finally fed up with the "\" and shift button placement. Also, the lock lights are unnecessarily bright.
The layout is actually similar to the keyboard I had before (apart from \ placement, old one had it to the left of a very small backspace key which is also a weird place, having it next to other slash makes more sense so I'm happy to adjust).

If you think the lights are bright now you should see them without the filters on them - I forgot to put the filters back once after taking it apart (it's a bitch of a thing to clean I must say) and let me tell you they are loving bright without them. You could probably add your own filters or darken the existing ones if you wanted.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

dissss posted:

Why are you replacing it, is there something that annoys you about it or did it just wear out?

I think it'll break down soon. the blight starts flickering from time to time and the lcd switch button doesn't work anymore.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

the panacea posted:

I think it'll break down soon. the blight starts flickering from time to time and the lcd switch button doesn't work anymore.

Do you like your G15? You could just buy a new G-series keyboard (Is the G15 still being sold?)

Alpha Lyrae
May 25, 2011

A star made in flesh
Do those KBC PBT keycaps (main 37 keys) fit on Leopold keyboards perfectly? Thinking about getting a Leo and replacing its keys with white KBC's.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

General Emergency posted:

Do you like your G15? You could just buy a new G-series keyboard (Is the G15 still being sold?)

There's the G19 which is stupidly expensive for a non-mech keyboard but it has programmable backlighting, a colour LCD panel and a whole bunch of macro keys.

There's the G110 which is the G19 minus the LCD and a lot cheaper. It also goes on sale very frequently (I just picked one up for $60 for my roommate).

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003
I got http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126206 for 19.99. Its a great keyboard.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Alpha Lyrae posted:

Do those KBC PBT keycaps (main 37 keys) fit on Leopold keyboards perfectly? Thinking about getting a Leo and replacing its keys with white KBC's.

Yes. Any keys meant for ducky or filco or similar will work for the leopold, except for the space bar.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Eej posted:

There's the G19 which is stupidly expensive for a non-mech keyboard but it has programmable backlighting, a colour LCD panel and a whole bunch of macro keys.

There's the G110 which is the G19 minus the LCD and a lot cheaper. It also goes on sale very frequently (I just picked one up for $60 for my roommate).

You can also pick up the second version of the G15 fairly easily and cheaply, but it doesn't have as many macro keys if thats a big deal for you.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Or you could buy the G510, the replacement of the G15.
It has as much macro keys as the blue G15.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Been using my Filco ninja majestouch 2 with brown switches for an hour now and it feels so much better to type on this keyboard than the apple keyboard i had.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I have a Filco at work and the Noppoo Choc Mini at home, both with browns, and it's a little surprising how much lighter the Choc Mini keypresses feel. I dunno if it's just the POM keycaps or what, but I can barely feel the tactile bump at all. I'm wondering now if it might have been a better idea to get it with blacks instead, especially considering I do a fair bit of PC gaming at home.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

404notfound posted:

I have a Filco at work and the Noppoo Choc Mini at home, both with browns, and it's a little surprising how much lighter the Choc Mini keypresses feel. I dunno if it's just the POM keycaps or what, but I can barely feel the tactile bump at all. I'm wondering now if it might have been a better idea to get it with blacks instead, especially considering I do a fair bit of PC gaming at home.

I can never feel the supposed "tactical" feeling on my PLU with browns, but I can certainly feel in on my blue Choc Mini.

Are the keypresses on Filco/Leopold really that much stiffer/heavier than other keyboards?

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
I just found out something cool. I while ago, I posted this:

Stabby McDamage posted:

I got some Amtelco KB163 Unified Keyboards that were being thrown away, and they have a ton of function keys:

(my hosting)

Despite this form factor being decades old, they're still being made, and I even got a USB version! I managed to get the extended keys hooked with AutoHotKey. Only one problem: the actual typing action on the keys SUCKS -- mushy and error prone. But god, all those function keys, I want them.

So is there a similar business-type keyboard with heaps of programmable function keys that work like REAL keys (as opposed to those crappy membrane or chicklet extended keys I've seen), but with actually good typing action?

I didn't know about mechanical keyboards at the time, but I saw it on my bench today and popped a key off, and it turns out that I wasn't dealing with a beat up rubber dome board with mushy keys, but a fully mechanical keyboard with Cherry black switches and 60 function keys! So I learned two lessons:

1. This is actually a pretty cool keyboard for the price (~$65) if you like Cherry blacks.
2. I hate Cherry blacks.

Having tried to like this keyboard even before I knew it was mechanical, it seems like linear action is absolutely awful to type on. I guess I could imagine how someone might want to game on it (I wouldn't), but typing was super frustrating.

EDIT: Between this, the Filco I got, and the Razer I ordered for work, I guess I've accidentally become a mechanical keyboard collector.

Stabby McDamage fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 5, 2011

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

ClosedBSD posted:

I can never feel the supposed "tactical" feeling on my PLU with browns, but I can certainly feel in on my blue Choc Mini.

Are the keypresses on Filco/Leopold really that much stiffer/heavier than other keyboards?

I haven't tried a whole lot of other mechanical keyboards, but these browns certainly feel snappy enough on the Filco. All I know is I have to slowly depress an individual key to feel the bump on the Choc Mini.

Also, I just glanced at https://www.elitekeyboards.com again, and it looks like they're now stocking the Realforce 87U keyboards, which have the embedded numpad, unlike the 86U. It's probably what I really want out of a compact keyboard, though it's more than three times the price of the Choc Mini, which puts it well outside of my price range. But if anybody was thinking of grabbing one, now's your chance.

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

According to The Oxford English Dictionary, the word "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.

404notfound posted:

Also, I just glanced at https://www.elitekeyboards.com again, and it looks like they're now stocking the Realforce 87U keyboards, which have the embedded numpad, unlike the 86U.
I saw that email, and I've been lusting after an 87U for a while, but gently caress me if I'm going to spend $345 on one.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I just ordered a Das Keyboard with the Cherry brown switches. I've only briefly experienced Cherry browns years ago when setting up some point of sale systems that had Cherry keyboards. At the time I knew jack all about keyboards and didn't know what was different, just that they felt really nice and I couldn't stop playing with them.

I've seen a lot of people say they prefer the brown for gaming, so that's why I went with the brown over the blue. Is this just personal preference, or what is it about the brown switches that work better for gaming?

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

DarkJC posted:

I just ordered a Das Keyboard with the Cherry brown switches. I've only briefly experienced Cherry browns years ago when setting up some point of sale systems that had Cherry keyboards. At the time I knew jack all about keyboards and didn't know what was different, just that they felt really nice and I couldn't stop playing with them.

I've seen a lot of people say they prefer the brown for gaming, so that's why I went with the brown over the blue. Is this just personal preference, or what is it about the brown switches that work better for gaming?

For me, it's a stamina thing. Browns require a lot less force, and spamming keys a hundred or so times a minute takes its toll really fast. With blues, most people complain about the release and actuation points not matching up. This guide has some gifs that should illustrate why that is the case. I don't mind that aspect of it at all for playing RTS games, just the force really.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I just got a keyboard with Cherry Reds (like Blacks but with less force). It's... really interesting. Very light. I'm not sure whether I miss the tactile part, and I've never used Browns to compare them to.
They don't feel like a mechanical keyboard, though, just a very, very nice and smooth "normal" keyboard.

I think I'm going to look into that o-ring thing. They're constantly bottoming out, and I think I'd like them a lot better if they had a longer key travel distance. Maybe if there was more padding?

Fathom
Mar 11, 2005

Damn Kids!
Last week I purchased 2 DasKeyboards, one with black switches and one with blues. They just showed up and I plugged in the one with black switches. One of the people in my department commented about it's "interesting sound". No one really cares about how loud this thing is, but the other sysadmin that works with me wanted the keyboard with blue switches.

I can't wait to see the developers all :black101: over the sound coming from his keyboard.

All of that aside, I'm really enjoying this keyboard so far. The is the first mechanical keyboard I've used since the old Dell server keyboards, and I'm not even 100% sure those were mechanical.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Depths posted:

Been using my Filco ninja majestouch 2 with brown switches for an hour now and it feels so much better to type on this keyboard than the apple keyboard i had.

How are you liking that keyboard so far? I'm trying to decide if I want that, a DAS keyboard, or to holdout until the Rosewill one comes back.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

Startacus posted:

How are you liking that keyboard so far? I'm trying to decide if I want that, a DAS keyboard, or to holdout until the Rosewill one comes back.

Filcos are really solid, I have one with browns that I just sold since I wanted to switch to blues. More people should be aware of WASD keyboards though, the reviews that have come in on sites like overclock and geekhack are very favorable.

wasd has a semi-custom option now thats more competitively priced
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/semi-custom-keyboard/wasd-v1-semi-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html

I'm gonna get one of those in a few days.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Is the Razer really that bad? Are there any other mechanical keyboard options for Mac users besides the Razer?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

teraflame posted:

Filcos are really solid, I have one with browns that I just sold since I wanted to switch to blues. More people should be aware of WASD keyboards though, the reviews that have come in on sites like overclock and geekhack are very favorable.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/semi-custom-keyboard/wasd-v1-semi-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html

Holy moly, it keeps getting better. Etched keys? Option to install O-rings (even though it's way overpriced)? loving optional ESDF alt-color cluster? :gizz:

If I didn't already have nice mechanical keyboards at work and at home, I'd buy one of these in an instant.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Anyone know of any other laptoppy keyboards other than the one in the OP? I'm not a fan of the big armrest and light up keys (assuming they're not toggleable), and after having used a laptop for two years I've grown quite fond of the flat keys and little space needed to trigger them.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Is the Razer really that bad? Are there any other mechanical keyboard options for Mac users besides the Razer?

I just got a Razer Blackwidow, and I like it well enough to use as my keyboard at work. Strangely enough, I didn't like it at all for gaming - I prefer my Filco with browns for that. But for typing, it's fine, if a bit loud. The standard Blackwidow is a good deal if you want Cherry blues...just $70-80.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

teraflame posted:

Those do look really sweet, I'll have to check out the reviews. Which do you prefer. Blues or browns? I am currently using an old HP Server keyboard from the early 90s which I'm pretty sure is mechanical but I don't know what kind of switches they are.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Native keyboards:
http://matias.ca/tactilepro3/ - $150
http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/onthestick.html - $94

Or run an Apple Extended Keyboard through an iMate USB-ADB converter.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

Startacus posted:

Those do look really sweet, I'll have to check out the reviews. Which do you prefer. Blues or browns? I am currently using an old HP Server keyboard from the early 90s which I'm pretty sure is mechanical but I don't know what kind of switches they are.

I like blues more because they have a tactile click. While browns are also tactile, its too subtle for my liking - I really can't feel it while typing.

To determine the switch type try pulling a keycap off and look through here
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=START+HERE+--+The+Geekhack+Mechanical+Keyboard+Guide+-+Includes+Glossary+and+Links

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is the only place to buy a Filco keyboard Amazon? I'm trying to get a full-size, but I'd like my replacement keys and red escape and possibly blue enter key?

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

teraflame posted:

I like blues more because they have a tactile click. While browns are also tactile, its too subtle for my liking - I really can't feel it while typing.

To determine the switch type try pulling a keycap off and look through here
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=START+HERE+--+The+Geekhack+Mechanical+Keyboard+Guide+-+Includes+Glossary+and+Links

It appears as if they are just plastic membranes :( http://imgur.com/a/HbkiA

It still feels really good to type on though....

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Does anyone know a place in the EU where you can buy o-rings in bulk? I'd love to try them on my Filco keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
Having some trouble with my Blackwidow...I got it used with some minor damage (cracked corner, missing keycap), but it looks like it has more problems then that.

I'm having trouble with some keys sticking down, as if the clicky mechanism inside the switch is getting subtly stuck sometimes. I don't know what the people before me did to this board, but I'm betting it's more than just cracking the corner.

Any ideas on how to rehabilitate these keyswitches?

• Locked thread