Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Post a pic of yourself and we'll tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
Uggghh, do I have to? Face + profile (lol I am a fatty): redacted

I think I dress prettymuch the same way as a lot of swedes; jeans + decent shirt with some adidas or converse

Landsknecht fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 6, 2011

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Landsknecht posted:

Hey someone from berlin tell me what clubs I want to go to. I like electronic poo poo like BoC for music, etc.

Also, how do I get into Berghain. People seem to say it's the place to go and apparently it's hard to get in, please enlighten me.

The beauty of berlin is it has a lot of clubs catering to most musical tastes. The point of going to berghain is because you want to listen to the music there, dance and have fun and/or you are gay and looking for sex. If you are not there to dance to the music and have fun or you are not a hot gay looking for sex (and ideally you are both) the doorpeople will probably suss this out because they have been doing it for a long time and have realised that people who are going there just cause its a big famous club even though they dont really like the music or dont really understand its history dont really help the vibe, and the vibe is what makes it a good club (that and the gay sex if you are so inclined).

So in advance you should visit http://www.residentadvisor.net/default.aspx and check the 25+ clubs in berlin and see whos playing and what music suits you, if you like BoC there is no guarantee you will like the minimal techno that is typically played at Berghain. You might want to listen to Berghain 04 mixed by Ben Klock. Even better is to look at the dj list, download their promo sets and find music you like, and go to a club that has djs that play a style of music you like. If that club happens to be Berghain and you go there and get bounced at the door you can always say 'oh but i really wanted to see dj x play because i love his sets especially that one from festival/club x i listen to all the time' and they will probably give you the benefit of the doubt and maybe let you in. If it is not Berghain that has the djs that suit your style/mood you can relax because berlin is full of a bunch of really great clubs where you are pretty much guaranteed to have a great night if not the night of you life pretty much every weekend and you would be remiss to not explore what is on offer.

Some more general tips would be: get there early (bring a friend who you can chat to/hang out with till it hots up), get there late (ive gone there 2pm on a sunday afternoon and its still going strong), also chat in line and be friendly with people around you like you are there to have a good time. I love Berghain and i do think it is a great club but my favourite nights here have probably been seeing play james holden 4 hours at weekend, and tiefschwarz and extrawelt at watergate. Or just rock up about 1-2 am and try your luck.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Landsknecht posted:

I think I dress prettymuch the same way as a lot of swedes; jeans + decent shirt with some adidas or converse

congrats on dressing like a nice young man going to coffee and cake with grandma on a sunday afternoon. the door staff at the greatest club in the universe, set in an abandoned industrial powerstation in post-communist berlin and known for a decade of boundary pushing techno, are ready and awaiting your arrival.

I don't mean to rag on you, you dont need to worry about what you're wearing. If anything, dare to dare. Normally I'm up for meetups as well but im away most of this month.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FjywBCv_8E

Was this song really that popular?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
How popular is "that popular"? I was vaguely aware that such a song existed and I think I heard five seconds of it on television once.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Ziir posted:

It was very popular. Mainly as a means to drive other people insane.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

How popular is "that popular"? I was vaguely aware that such a song existed and I think I heard five seconds of it on television once.

Well according to Wikipedia, it was #1 in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland for 25, 34, and 30 weeks, respectively.

http://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schnappi,_das_kleine_Krokodil

I have no idea what charts they're talking about but I can't help but think this was played on radio.

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!

Ziir posted:

Well according to Wikipedia, it was #1 in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland for 25, 34, and 30 weeks, respectively.

http://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schnappi,_das_kleine_Krokodil

I have no idea what charts they're talking about but I can't help but think this was played on radio.

They are referring to sales-charts (If no other indication is given they refer to the single), it appears that the song was pretty successful in general, several international gold and platin records are pretty impressive for something that annoying, on the other hand you'd probably make a fortune if you'd put the nyan cat song on itunes so it's not really that surprising.

I think what really pushed the sales were hordes of teenagers that just shelled out 5 Euros each to be hip and enjoy it ironically.

Edit: Turns out there is not one but two singles of the nyan cat on itunes, excuse me while I kill myself.

hankor fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 6, 2011

Square Pair
Mar 16, 2011

There is a Bavarian song that is played a lot during Oktoberfest. I'm hoping someone can post the name so I can actually learn the words while sober this time. During the song you are acting out a hunter hunting a deer or rabbit and shooting it but it is a love song - or at least that's what I think I was told - I may have misinterpreted.

Anyone?

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Ziir posted:

Na super, jetzt hab ich nen Ohrwurm.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Square Pair posted:

There is a Bavarian song that is played a lot during Oktoberfest. I'm hoping someone can post the name so I can actually learn the words while sober this time. During the song you are acting out a hunter hunting a deer or rabbit and shooting it but it is a love song - or at least that's what I think I was told - I may have misinterpreted.

Anyone?

They don't play Bavarian music during Oktoberfest. The only music that is played is poo poo music.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
lovely songs with audience participation:

Fliegerlied

Cowboy und Indianer

Das rote Pferd

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Hungry Gerbil posted:

They don't play Bavarian music during Oktoberfest. The only music that is played is poo poo music.

Exactly. This is Bavarian music: http://youtu.be/2c7xqHx6LEg

And it owns

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

bronin posted:

Exactly. This is Bavarian music: http://youtu.be/2c7xqHx6LEg

And it owns

Oh man, you reminded me that Biermösl Blosn have disbanded... :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogjK20c9eH0

1337 haxxor pirate
Apr 25, 2011
Any German goons want to Skype? All you have to do is speak your native tongue, we can talk about video games and Goony things for all I care... I'm increasingly frustrated with my progress learning the language, talking with a native speaker could do me a world of good. I need motivation and would be thrilled if anyone's interested. E-mail at abby flutterby at gmail dot com - I don't have PMs here on the forums.

Danke!

Square Pair
Mar 16, 2011

Holy poo poo I was way off - it was cowboy and indians. Thanks.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
I've spent the last 4 months working 12+ hours a day and need a break before I look for my next job. Anyone know of any cool events/fest/shows going on in the near future that I can waste a bit of time at. I'm currently located in Süd-Niedersachsen, but am willing to all over the country if interesting enough.

Arts, Culinary, an awesome Wanderweg. I'm open to pretty much anything! :)

Vielen Dank im Voraus!

Square Pair
Mar 16, 2011

This should probably go in the language thread but is still relevant here. So in school (american) our german teacher (whom was an american) had us pronouncing Ich as Ick - heavy "K" sound. His instructions were to be "forceful" in that pronunciation. In watching the videos a few replies up - and the translations - it jarred a question I had:

In speaking German Ich is actually pronounced Ish. What is the rule of thumb when the "ch" is pronounced with a heavy "k" sound (like auch)? That is one stumbling block - the other is the Der, Die, and Das which is a complete mindfuck.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Ich is pronounced ick in berlin, isch in some other regions of germany and generally somewhere in between in regular high german.

Here is rammstein singing ich will, they pronounce it right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkQ124B9X6Y

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Square Pair posted:

This should probably go in the language thread but is still relevant here. So in school (american) our german teacher (whom was an american) had us pronouncing Ich as Ick - heavy "K" sound. His instructions were to be "forceful" in that pronunciation. In watching the videos a few replies up - and the translations - it jarred a question I had:

In speaking German Ich is actually pronounced Ish. What is the rule of thumb when the "ch" is pronounced with a heavy "k" sound (like auch)? That is one stumbling block - the other is the Der, Die, and Das which is a complete mindfuck.

...auch is not pronounced with a K. Was your teacher from Berlin or has he spent significant amounts of time there? Because they are the only ones in Germany who pronouce Ich Ick(e).

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
x (I assume that is what you mean by "heavy "K" sound") is pronounced with the tongue at the back of the mouth and is used after back vowels (a, o, u), ç (what you call "sh") is pronounced with the tongue further near the front of the mouths and it occurs after front vowels. So basically the rule is simply to be lazy.

EDIT: Unless his teacher really sucks, "ck" and "sh" are probably just his way to write the two sounds that "ch" can represent in German.

Previously on GBS fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 7, 2011

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
Click on the sound icon next to 'Ich' to hear how it's pronounced in general, not in a pretty stupid sounding way only a tiny part of the country does. JFK got it right, your teacher didn't.

Wikipedia has a very condensed paragraph about the 'ch' rules. The german one is more detailed.
Just go to dict.cc and listen to the example words to hear the difference.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Square Pair posted:

As posters above me told you, the only people who say "Ick" are from Berlin. But they would never pronounce any other word with "ch" like a hard K. (There are some exceptions like "Chemie" or "China" though. Some people pronunce the "Ch" at the beginning of a word like "K" some like "Sh" and some like the proper "Ch".)

If you want to learn proper High German you should try to learn how to pronounce the "ch". This seems to be the hardest sound for English speakers to reproduce.

Here's an audio file for you to hopefully hear the difference:

"Ick" "Isch" "Ich" "auch" "Koch"

edit: :effort:

Square Pair
Mar 16, 2011

Thanks for the audio clips and explanations. The teacher was in fact an American who studied in Berlin. Interesting how you were able to get a geographical location based on the manner of pronunciation.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
It's pretty characteristic. Almost everyone in Germany knows that.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

bronin posted:

If you want to learn proper High German you should try to learn how to pronounce the "ch". This seems to be the hardest sound for English speakers to reproduce.

No I'm pretty sure that 'ü' has 'ch' beat. I think I really lucked out cause the person who explained ä/ö/ü told me from the start to imagine them as ae/oe/ue so I didn't think of them as three extra letters, but rather as another diphthong.

For the life of me, I can't pronounce your 'r' cause of that guttural sound, and I'll probably never be able to pronounce anything ending in '-ln' right, like Köln and pinkeln, but this is a problem in English too cause I can't pronounce kiln.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
If you can figure out how to pronounce "Würschtlkoch" (sausage cook) you've got it made.

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran
The story about the German teacher reminded me of my first German teacher in 6th and 7th grade. She was right out of college (22 or 23) and I doubt she had ever been to Germany, or maybe she had visited for a week in high school herself.

We used to play a game in class that in other classes would be called Hangman. But she didn't know the word for hangman in German, so she called the game "Totmann". She freely admitted to making the word up, but I bet a more insecure teacher would never have said anything.

I wonder if the German teacher with the "forceful ch" just wasn't able to speak the German ch correctly and didn't want to cop to it. At least it's a better pronunciation than tsch and I would wager that most people who do a semester abroad in Berlin do so without picking up the dialect.

Oh and I am with Ziir in that speaking ch correctly was way easier to accomplish than ö. Even though I can do it fine these days, it's still kind of uncomfortable.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Everytime we get some Amerikan/Australian exchange students ch/sch really confuse them. Especially in the words Kirche/Kirsche.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Popelmon posted:

Everytime we get some Amerikan/Australian exchange students ch/sch really confuse them. Especially in the words Kirche/Kirsche.

How does this confuse them at all? Kirche is usually pronounced with almost a ck sound, while Kirsche has a more slurred sound due to the S.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
That's a really weird way of putting it. The sounds are distinct (/ç/ vs. /ʃ/ in standard German, although some dialects collapse them) but they are actually pretty similar in the perception of someone not trained to hear the difference. This is something people often forget - what one "hears" when listening to speech is heavily influenced by one's own knowledge of languages. This is very useful for fast decoding - recognizing variant pronunciations, understanding muffled or slurred speech, and so forth - but it can lead to difficulties in learning other languages.

One time I was talking to an American friend (who doesn't speak German) about language stuff and we came to how difficult ü (/yː/ or /ʏ/) seems to be for Anglophones; I recorded some u/ü transitions and minimal pairs and she couldn't even perceive that there was any difference at all. And on the flipside it took me a long time to figure out that English actually has voiced stops at the end of words sometimes, simply because German doesn't.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

That's a really weird way of putting it. The sounds are distinct (/ç/ vs. /ʃ/ in standard German, although some dialects collapse them) but they are actually pretty similar in the perception of someone not trained to hear the difference. This is something people often forget - what one "hears" when listening to speech is heavily influenced by one's own knowledge of languages. This is very useful for fast decoding - recognizing variant pronunciations, understanding muffled or slurred speech, and so forth - but it can lead to difficulties in learning other languages.

One time I was talking to an American friend (who doesn't speak German) about language stuff and we came to how difficult ü (/yː/ or /ʏ/) seems to be for Anglophones; I recorded some u/ü transitions and minimal pairs and she couldn't even perceive that there was any difference at all. And on the flipside it took me a long time to figure out that English actually has voiced stops at the end of words sometimes, simply because German doesn't.

That`s totally true. The schwul-schwül case for instance, both sounds like the same to me, and I don`t even dare trying to use schwül becouse I`m pretty sure I`m gonna embarrass myself.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

BaconPigbutt posted:

That`s totally true. The schwul-schwül case for instance, both sounds like the same to me, and I don`t even dare trying to use schwül becouse I`m pretty sure I`m gonna embarrass myself.
I was going to say that they kinda used to have similar connotations ("warm") and origins and then I found proof:

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/wortwoertlich-koydls-kleines-lexikon-schwuel-war-mal-schwul-1.740758

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Can you post some u/ü minimal pairs here because it's the only part of my German pronunciation I am not sure about. I know how most other things are meant to sound even if I'm bad at voicing them myself.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
es war vs. zwar

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I too am trying my best to learn German with some success. Currently working on the third disk of Rosetta stone. I generally like the software, but sometimes (because it is immersion) I miss how you choose one word over the other.

A perfect example is the use of the words "im" and "in" to indicate that something is in a certain place. Would someone care to explain the difference?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
"Im" is a contraction. It's just short for "in dem". Also common: am, vom, zum. (More colloquially: unterm, hinterm, etc.)

Anmitzcuaca posted:

Can you post some u/ü minimal pairs here because it's the only part of my German pronunciation I am not sure about. I know how most other things are meant to sound even if I'm bad at voicing them myself.

I don't have a working microphone here, so ask again in a couple days if someone else doesn't jump in or you can't find anything useful elsewhere on the net.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Out of curiosity are those contractions used in formal (written) speech? We're suppose to write out contractions in English for those cases, and (maybe it's just me) I tend to speak without contractions in formal situations too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Yeah, it's just like in English.