Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Last year's batsu was screwed because of Covid pretty much. That's the primary reason why it was cancelled this year, according to Matsumoto. They start planning for it in around March of each year and it was clear that it wasn't going to happen this year, but he also said that while they welcome the break (their asses look like "rhino skin") it's not like there'll never be another batsu. So it's not over, but just cancelled this year because of how things are in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The fact that the translation was dropped mid-way should tell you enough of its quality.

Incidentally I've recently re-watched the early batsu games (Yugawara 1&2, High school and Police) and man, those are still the best. Hospital is my favourite of the ones where it's the whole cast together.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
The water main gag in Hospital is one of my favorites. Hospital has a ton of great one offs and bits that came back a lot.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
The pit traps in Hospital never fail to make me cry laughing

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I finished watching S1 through S4 of Documental on Amazon and loved it. I found S5 and S6 through :filez: and definitely enjoyed S6 a lot more.

I know S7 is being translated one ep a time, with the first 3 episodes already out. I’ll probably wait for the entire season to be released before I binge out on the whole season.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Part 7 of the Batsu is great. Poor Tanaka.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Stare-Out posted:

Part 7 of the Batsu is great. Poor Tanaka.

It's about time they gave someone else one of those kinds of gags, I think Yamazaki usually gets those sorts.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Dancing Peasant posted:

I finished watching S1 through S4 of Documental on Amazon and loved it. I found S5 and S6 through :filez: and definitely enjoyed S6 a lot more.

I know S7 is being translated one ep a time, with the first 3 episodes already out. I’ll probably wait for the entire season to be released before I binge out on the whole season.

Let the thread know when S7 is whole. I finally got motivated the watch 5 and 6 and I'm motivated for more. Season 5 is impressive by how much it gets fully dominated by one guy and the ladies in season 6 are an unstoppable terminator.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Gazaar posted:

It's about time they gave someone else one of those kinds of gags, I think Yamazaki usually gets those sorts.

The one where they combined that bit with the joint punishment card was funny. Painful too, but mainly funny.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I liked the escalation of the one with the Chucky doll from, I think, the American Police special:

- There's a random Chucky doll in a cage. Huh, weird.

- Hosei gets a "genie gone wrong" (from an old manga, I can't remember what it was called) wish for "refreshment" granted. This inevitably leads to a Hooters girl pieing him in the face and predictably Fujiwara orders him to get changed into a silly revealing costume.

- The Chucky doll comes to life and reveals itself to have Hosei's face. Whenever it screams "I AM HOSEIIIIII! AHAHAHAHA!" Hosei gets slapped.

- Hosei tries to open the cage and gets electrocuted. He keeps getting slapped.

- The doll reveals that the code to unlock the cage is... the last four digits of Hamada's phone number. The cast insist that such sensitive information can't just be given out willy nilly so they come up with "plans" to reveal it covertly...

- ... that involve putting ice cubes and lip balm onto Hosei's swollen rear end cheeks because they're trolls. Then Matsumoto sticks a model of the Empire State Building that was just kind of there for some reason up Hosei's butthole as well.

- The doll is deactivated (they censored out Hamada's phone number after all that anyway lol) and later Hosei sniffs the end of the model, confirming that it smells of poo.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
There exists a translated version of all of Documental season 7. Not the best season IMO but has some good parts. It can be found on Reddit but Im not linking.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Bip Roberts posted:

There exists a translated version of all of Documental season 7. Not the best season IMO but has some good parts. It can be found on Reddit but Im not linking.

Yeah, it was solid, the videos were the best bit I think. The winner definitely earned the win, as opposed to say season 3 where the winner didn't get caught laughing 2-3 times and was also the least funny person there by a mile.

The subber also said they'd be back in 2 weeks (from when that was released a few days ago) with the start of season 8. There's been a new batch of translators doing work lately it's pretty nice.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Zakoshi is too strong. I'm amazed he even got a card in S7.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Stare-Out posted:

Zakoshi is too strong. I'm amazed he even got a card in S7.

I've warmed up to him for sure. He's just so aggressive leaving less room for other people to even do their own gags, he's smart.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I just came across the very best Downtown Gottsu ee kanji 5 dvd boxset from a long time ago, and it has been an amazing introduction to the series. It's also cool to see people like Matsumoto and YOU really early in their careers.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I just watched the movie Asakusa Kid on Netflix which is a Takeshi Kitano biopic. It's decent but probably 30 min too long and doesn't really have any good comedy. Definitely not as good as Sparks.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Are there any good Japanese crime procedurals? We've watched some BBC ones recently and they are a nice change from the US ones. We are curious what they are like in other countries.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Waltzing Along posted:

Are there any good Japanese crime procedurals? We've watched some BBC ones recently and they are a nice change from the US ones. We are curious what they are like in other countries.

Hero: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_(2001_TV_series)

Also, while not the same, you may be interested in Hanzawa Naoki, literally the most popular show of all time, based around a banker uncovering crimes/malfeasance at his bank: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanzawa_Naoki

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Cool, thanks. Netflixable?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Aibo is your standard smart detectives solve the crime of the week deal, and is actually pretty decent. Not sure what the distribution is like outside of Japan for that, but they’re up to 20 seasons, and similar to Doctor Who, the ‘partner’ changes occasionally.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Doesn't look like any streaming services offer it. I'll keep an eye out. Thanks.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Giri/Haji is a fun crime series on Netflix. Half in English, half in Japanese.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Oh, I guess you're new to Japanese television.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

Oh, I guess you're new to Japanese television.

The Aibo site lists on demand on Telasa but also advertises the DVD/Blu-ray box sets, so yes, Japan is still Japan.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just thought that because all anime is available on streaming somewhere and amazon prime has some stuff like documental that there would be more scattered around. Netflix has Midnight Diner which we've really loved. But I guess that is based on a manga.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I just thought that because all anime is available on streaming somewhere and amazon prime has some stuff like documental that there would be more scattered around. Netflix has Midnight Diner which we've really loved. But I guess that is based on a manga.

A lot of the new season dramas are based on manga or light comics in any case.

And just from watching a lot because my wife is really into watching TV, they’re putting them up onto the Japanese platforms, especially for new or recent stuff and especially the ones on main broadcast and not BS channels. Amazon and Netflix here aren’t taking syndicated shows like in the US (Friends, Seinfeld, etc), but making originals.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Here are some new Japanese shows I've been watching in case anyone wants some recs:
Come Come Everybody
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Come_Come_Everybody
I'm about 17 episodes in, and I really dig it. So far it's about a young woman and her experience in Okayama just before the war, and then during the war. The depiction of love in this series is really tender.

Downtown no Gotsu ee Kanji
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown_no_Gottsu_Ee_Kanji
This is the original Downtown show. It's very funny.

Pan Tabi
https://www.themoviedb.org/tv/125608-the-bread-journey
A show about two actresses traveling through places in Japan tasting bread and learning about how breaded goods are made.

Okaeri Mone
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okaeri_Mone
This is the last asadora. I dropped this one about half way through. But it was really nice until that point. It's about a young woman who wants to be a weather forcaster.

Zannenna ikimono Jiten

https://www.themoviedb.org/tv/111072
A very short show about animals lol. I don't really know how to explain this one: but here is an article: https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/06/21-1/learn-unfortunate-facts-about-animals-in-zannen-na-ikimono-no-jiten-tv-anime

Ame no HI
https://www.themoviedb.org/tv/152251
This was a 1 hour television Drama that was just so beautiful. It's about a gravure model who has her period at the same time as a photographer who has her period. But imo the way it depicted peoples impatience with the gravure for menstruating model was very pointed.

I am Bouken Shounen
https://www.themoviedb.org/tv/106565
An adventure show where there are these physical challenges like tying a rope between two teenagers and making them run through a bamboo forest. It's fun.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If you keep an eye on the gaki reddit there's been a lot of subs lately. Those food marathon eps seem popular and there's one guy who's been subbing full episodes of Wednesday Downtown

I wish it was easier to recommend dramas because I've watched a decent amount but the selection on netflix etc is awful and I've had to mess around with torrents and getting sub files that people post on the d-addicts forums

Some stuff I had watched last year, WOWOW seem to make lots of cool dramas. I'm just pasting the description from mydramalist because I'm lazy

Influence - Yuri goes to a female novelist and tells her that she and two of her friends committed three murders. Yuri asks the novelist to write a story about them.

Satsui no Michinori - (This is a comedy) Due to heavy debts incurred by CEO Yushiyuki, the owner of a small cardboard processing company was forced into bankruptcy and driven to suicide. Despite pleas from the man's family, Yoshiyuki remained unpunished by the law. Blocked by the usual legal channels, the son, Kubota Kazuma, and his cousin vow to kill the man responsible for his death. However, given that neither of them has ever killed someone, it requires a lot of planning and a lot of help to achieve the perfect crime.

Niijiro Karute - Kureno Masora is a young doctor who was working happily at a large hospital in Tokyo. However, she found out that she has an illness and decided to continue working as a doctor, while hiding her illness at a clinic located in a small village called "Niji no Mura". Therefore, Masora gets to meet the interesting villagers and gradually learns about facing life enthusiastically.

60 Gohan - Arima Eiji, a police detective nearing retirement, who belongs to the Misjudgement Countermeasure Officer has had the experience of arresting the wrong person for a crime he did not commit. As such, when he is tasked to investigate the likelihood of wrong judgments given out to criminals on death row along with young lawyer Sera Shoichi and prosecutor Haruna Misuzu, Arima takes this on with the intention of repenting for his past mistake. On the other hand, although Sera is suspicious of Arima's actions, he is pushed along by the latter's passion to assist in the re-investigations while Haruna just wants to get back to the prosecutors' office as soon as possible so she has no choice but to obey the orders of her superior to cooperate with Arima and Sera.

Dakara Watashi wa Oshimashita - Endo Ai is an office lady and she is about to turn 30-years-old. She has enjoyed posting about herself on social media, but she has grown tired of that. One day, she happens to see underground idol Kurimoto Hana perform live. Ai is touched by her, who is not good at performing, but eager at what she is doing.

Iribito - (I think this is currently airing - I've only watched the first episode so far) Naho is the deputy curator of the art gallery established by her grandfather, an avid art collector. Naho's husband is the managing director at a different art gallery in Ginza which his family has run for several generations. To avoid the hectic pace of Tokyo, a pregnant Naho decides to move to Kyoto. There, she finds a painting by an unknown painter. She becomes fascinated with it and soon faces an unexpected truth.

also Miss Sherlock is pretty decent and is probably on Netflix or Hulu

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 7, 2022

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

If you keep an eye on the gaki reddit there's been a lot of subs lately. Those food marathon eps seem popular and there's one guy who's been subbing full episodes of Wednesday Downtown

I wish it was easier to recommend dramas because I've watched a decent amount but the selection on netflix etc is awful and I've had to mess around with torrents and getting sub files that people post on the d-addicts forums

The last two dramas I watched were:

Boku no ita Jikan
https://mydramalist.com/8507-boku-no-ita-jikan
It's about a guy with ALS and it starts getting bad just as he is in like the 青春 of life.

Ikebukuro West Gate Park
https://mydramalist.com/1502-ikebukuro-west-gate-park
I really liked this drama because it was raw and cool. I feel like Japanese shows never really do that in the right way.

I don't really like drama, I think the hour time per episode is too long. The asadora being only 15 minutes is really perfect for me. And I mean it, Come Come Everybody is really good. I thought about subbing it so my wife could watch it, because I don't know if there are places that already sub it or something.

The TV 1 hour dramas like Ame no Hi, and I also watched
Odoriba Nite
https://www.themoviedb.org/tv/154458
Are like a really good format and the right pacing for me to enjoy.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
With regard to where you can watch Japanese shows on western streaming I found https://shoutfactorytv.com has a bunch of Kamen rider and super sentai from the 70s-90s available free to watch.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Bip Roberts posted:

Giri/Haji is a fun crime series on Netflix. Half in English, half in Japanese.

Been watching this. It's entertaining but not at all what we were looking for. Even though it is set in London/Tokyo and only has one American in it, I'm pretty sure it is made by Americans. It doesn't feel like an English procedural at all and I'm certain its not Japanese.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Been watching this. It's entertaining but not at all what we were looking for. Even though it is set in London/Tokyo and only has one American in it, I'm pretty sure it is made by Americans. It doesn't feel like an English procedural at all and I'm certain its not Japanese.

I looked it up and it's a BBC production with international rights funding from Netflix. Doesn't appear to be American, definitely isn't Japanese.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Weird. I wonder why the English police are so inept on this show? They really seem to be written in a way that runs contrary to any of the other procedurals I've seen.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Documental season 5 is now up on Amazon Prime

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I was watching a Japanese boxing card a few weeks ago and it was sandwiched by episodes of this weird game show where they seemed to be shooting guys in demon masks with paintballs, hiding from drones, stuff like that. It was being super heavily advertised during the broadcast, too. Anyone know anything about it?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Any good shows focused on food that have translations available? Could be fiction or documentary. I'll check out Pan Tabi.

So far I've enjoyed Japanese Style Originator, Midnight Diner, Kantaro the Sweettooth Salaryman, Samurai Gourmet. I checked out of the anime show Food Wars as soon as the child sexualization started. Iron Chef was a little too hectic for my taste.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ichiro. Ichiro. Egg.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Matusmoto got the coof.

https://reddit.com/r/GakiNoTsukai/comments/svkxdp/matsumoto_has_been_infected_with_coronavirus/

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Omicron been running wild, tons of celebs having to be out and about possibly without masks have gotten the ‘Rona in the past month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I've been watching suberanai hanashi. It's SO funny. I don't know if everyone has seen this show already. It's basically matsumoto and a bunch of other comedians (the newer episodes have celebreties too), rolling a dice with everyones name on it, and the person who's name the dice lands on has to tell a funny story.

I found this clip with english subs on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIFrVgzKy90 someone on reddit has translated a bunch of them and uploaded them on a streaming website that isn't youtube.
You can also listen to the stories on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3nQ98zpDc4 but it's not quite the same since you can't see peoples faces.

e: I almost forgot, this show is very funny and I just discovered it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZlUI_z-Zd0

gay for gacha fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 19, 2022