Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I can't remember drinking a Long Island for the taste, I only pounded them when I wanted to get hosed up and didn't want to do shots for some reason. Same with Adios Motherfuckers.

Might make one this weekend when I'm losing money on football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tynam
May 14, 2007

nrr posted:

I wouldn't use coke and a sweetener (coke IS the sweetener, and all you need is a tiny dash to colour it - and lets just forget you said grand marnier and mentioned some sort of triple sec instead) but a well made Long Island is a great drink for a night out and I... I will, uhh... I will fight anyone who disagrees with me! Even if there is, uhhh, 4 of you all of a sudden... in the same outfit...

I still don't understand how Long Islands actually work. They sound like poo poo and by all reasoning they should taste like poo poo... but they're actually not terrible. Certainly worse drinks to get the night started with.

They're also the go-to drinks when buying a DJ/performers or whoever a drink - everybody seems to love Long Islands.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Well they're easy to/often hosed up but a well made, properly balanced Long Island Iced Tea is really tasty. I use a half ounce of each of the liquors, (grand marnier is fine, but the point is that it's kind of a waste of grand marnier using it in a LIIT. Cointreau or triple sec are fine) a full ounce of fresh citrus (I use a half each of lemon and lime) and then just enough coke to turn it that iced tea colour is usually enough to get that iced tea flavour as well. Don't overdo it.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I'll get them a lot of the time I'm at a club/bar where everything is overpriced and costs $x. Why would I spend $10 on rail gin & tonic gun for minimal drunkenness when a long island is the same price but a lot more drink? I guess the right answer is not going to those places at all, but decent cocktail bars rarely have single women where I am.

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!
I just love a Rye Old Fashioned. Muddle 3 orange slices, half a banana, and a handful of nuclear red store bought maraschino cherries with 3 spoonfuls of demerara sugar..

Just kidding.

Rye, 1-2 dashes orange bitters, 3-4 dashes angostura bitters, and just a touch of sweetener. Sip and enjoy. I bought big fancy ice cube ball makers because a) I'm a dork, and b) I needed like 7 bucks to get free shipping on my last Amazon order. They're pretty cool, they last forever, and don't water my drinks down as much as the half crushed ice cubes my fridge shits out.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Capt. Awesome posted:

Rye, 1-2 dashes orange bitters, 3-4 dashes angostura bitters, and just a touch of sweetener. Sip and enjoy. I bought big fancy ice cube ball makers because a) I'm a dork, and b) I needed like 7 bucks to get free shipping on my last Amazon order. They're pretty cool, they last forever, and don't water my drinks down as much as the half crushed ice cubes my fridge shits out.

I generally do a cube of sugar soaked in 3-4 dashes of angostura, splash of spring water, swirl until dissolved, then 3 fingers of rye. Top with ice, then drink while wearing a 3 piece suit and contemplatively staring into the distance in an Eames chair.

So far, there have been like 5 or 6 variations in this thread. Pretty sure I need to do some kind of Iron Chef Old Fashioned battle and determine the winner.

(obv, the winner on the night will be booze)

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 23, 2013

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

nrr posted:

Well they're easy to/often hosed up but a well made, properly balanced Long Island Iced Tea is really tasty. I use a half ounce of each of the liquors, (grand marnier is fine, but the point is that it's kind of a waste of grand marnier using it in a LIIT. Cointreau or triple sec are fine) a full ounce of fresh citrus (I use a half each of lemon and lime) and then just enough coke to turn it that iced tea colour is usually enough to get that iced tea flavour as well. Don't overdo it.

Cointreau is more expensive than Gran Marnier.

zmcnulty posted:

I'll get them a lot of the time I'm at a club/bar where everything is overpriced and costs $x. Why would I spend $10 on rail gin & tonic gun for minimal drunkenness when a long island is the same price but a lot more drink? I guess the right answer is not going to those places at all, but decent cocktail bars rarely have single women where I am.

You're almost certainly getting just about the same amount of drunk per dollar. Bars are businesses that get money by selling booze at X% markup from wholesale. If their standard pour is 1.5 oz, then that's how much gin you'll get in a G&T. If you order a Long Island that costs the same amount of money as a G&T, you're just getting like a quarter ounce of each liquor, which will add up to around 1.5 oz. total. The only difference is that now you're the rear end in a top hat ordering a Long Island.

tynam
May 14, 2007

Capt. Awesome posted:

Try adding in an orange rind and muddle it with the sugar and angostura, skipping the orange bitters. It adds a really nice hint of citrus where orange bitters clashes too heavily with the other bitters/rye from my experience. If you want even more citrus you can squeeze another rind on top of the drink for the aromatics and dump it in.

I think my favorite gimmick now is to flame an orange/lemon peel. I have no idea if it actually affects the drink in any way, but it looks cool.

BrosephofArimathea posted:

So far, there have been like 5 or 6 variations in this thread. Pretty sure I need to do some kind of Iron Chef Old Fashioned battle and determine the winner.

(obv, the winner on the night will be booze)

I made drinks for a friend's event once and offered people two variants of the old fashioned - the orange and cherry fruit cocktail and the peel and bitters only version. Although people who enjoyed whiskey neat definitely preferred the peel and bitters, the overwhelming majority chose the fruit cocktail. The winner is variety, even within the same cocktail.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I got pissed off having to pick a bottle of Jager off the side of my road on my way to town two days in a row and cursed the drunken litterers the whole way to the dump. And then I bought a small bottle to prove myself correct that it is a terrible liqueur for terrible people. But a barspoon in a gin and tonic with lime was enjoyable.

Any ideas to use the rest of this up in not god-awful shooters? I'm thinking that replacing the creme de menthe in a stinger might be a decent drink with some of the liquorice that absinthe would add to a stinger royale.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 23, 2013

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Kenning posted:

Cointreau is more expensive than Gran Marnier.

You're almost certainly getting just about the same amount of drunk per dollar. Bars are businesses that get money by selling booze at X% markup from wholesale. If their standard pour is 1.5 oz, then that's how much gin you'll get in a G&T. If you order a Long Island that costs the same amount of money as a G&T, you're just getting like a quarter ounce of each liquor, which will add up to around 1.5 oz. total. The only difference is that now you're the rear end in a top hat ordering a Long Island.

I guess it all depends on your deals with your liquor distributors. We've had cointreau on a deal for so long as part of our well that I completely forgot what it would cost for anyone at the liquor store.

And just to add on to the markup talk, as far as ordering X drink in a club to get wasted, the drinks in this thread aren't the kind of things you should be expecting to order in a club and enjoy if you're out to party for the night. If you want to really appreciate a drink you like, or see someone mention here, you have to pick where you order it. It's no surprise that everyone thinks Long Islands are terrible if the only place you order them is at expensive clubs that make their money on high volume and shooters, because you likely got an ounce or two of premixed "Long Island" spirit, topped off with a bit of sour mix from the gun and finished with half a glass of coke.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

Butch Cassidy posted:

Any ideas to use the rest of this up in not god-awful shooters? I'm thinking that replacing the creme de menthe in a stinger might be a decent drink with some of the liquorice that absinthe would add to a stinger royale.

Unfortunately, Jaeger is pretty much only good for doing shots then calling everyone bro.

You can do a Mahogany: .75 Jager/.75 Benedictine/1.5 dry vermouth, stir, strain into chilled cocktail glass or a coupe. Optionally do a swirl with cinnamon schnapps first, but who even has that?

Amusingly, they have a cocktail book online, and all the suggestions are pretty much 'put jager in coke/redbull/tonic/mate and smash it, brah'.

http://www.jagermeister.com/media/29352/jm_recipe_guide.pdf

(don't get tricked into doing a 1:1 jager/coffee patron. it's awful)

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 24, 2013

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

nrr posted:

And just to add on to the markup talk, as far as ordering X drink in a club to get wasted, the drinks in this thread aren't the kind of things you should be expecting to order in a club and enjoy if you're out to party for the night. If you want to really appreciate a drink you like, or see someone mention here, you have to pick where you order it.

I certainly wouldn't order goon-favorite Last Word at some club, not only is that dumb they probably don't even know how to make one.

My point is that all club drinks are terrible so if my goals are to get drunk and hit on girls then a LIIT often provides better cost-performance for me to get there.

Kenning posted:

If their standard pour is 1.5 oz, then that's how much gin you'll get in a G&T. If you order a Long Island that costs the same amount of money as a G&T, you're just getting like a quarter ounce of each liquor, which will add up to around 1.5 oz. total. The only difference is that now you're the rear end in a top hat ordering a Long Island.

nrr posted:

It's no surprise that everyone thinks Long Islands are terrible if the only place you order them is at expensive clubs that make their money on high volume and shooters, because you likely got an ounce or two of premixed "Long Island" spirit, topped off with a bit of sour mix from the gun and finished with half a glass of coke.

Yeah, this isn't what happens in Tokyo. I've only ever seen pre-mixed drinks here twice, once at a Mexican restaurant serving ridiculously overproof margaritas, and again at Mixology in Akasaka serving barrel-aged Manhattans/etc. (this doesn't even count). I'm allergic to caffeine so I'd know if they were over-coking me. If they can't make a LIIT from scratch(?) they'll just say they can't make one.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 24, 2013

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
I went back a few pages but couldn't see it brought up already, so I'm having a Halloween party and I'm trying to figure out the easiest Halloween-themed cocktails to make. I'm pretty basic when it comes to making cocktails and I don't wanna go out and buy a poo poo-tonne of ingredients, so I'm looking for some suggestions that are fairly simple. Any obvious ones I should be aware of?

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Tychtrip posted:

I went back a few pages but couldn't see it brought up already, so I'm having a Halloween party and I'm trying to figure out the easiest Halloween-themed cocktails to make. I'm pretty basic when it comes to making cocktails and I don't wanna go out and buy a poo poo-tonne of ingredients, so I'm looking for some suggestions that are fairly simple. Any obvious ones I should be aware of?

I always find the Satan's Whiskers cocktail to be delightfully appropriate. Garnish with something ghoulish and you should be set.
http://imbibemagazine.com/Satan-s-Whiskers
http://12bottlebar.com/2010/10/satan%E2%80%99s-whiskers/#more-2002

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

Ahh you must live in Cleveland.

For content, what're some good cocktails for cachaça rather than muddling a cube of sugar with half a lime?

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 25, 2013

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
I have a questions. What's better, generally speaking: fresh vermouth of a mediocre quality, or stale vermouth of excellent quality?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Invalid Octopus posted:

I have a questions. What's better, generally speaking: fresh vermouth of a mediocre quality, or stale vermouth of excellent quality?

Fresh. Buy smallish bottles to avoid it going stale and wasting cash.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I made a Henry Box Brown last night, and goddamn, juicing grapes with a muddler is a real pain in the rear end. Pretty delicious, though, even thought just had regular Appleton Estate to put in.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

I don't know why I've never made a Boulevardier with rye before but it's loving delicious. It's like two of my favorite cocktails (rye manhattan and negroni) at the same time.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Mr. Wookums posted:

For content, what're some good cocktails for cachaça rather than muddling a cube of sugar with half a lime?

Cachaca is my favorite spirit. Try subbing it for light rum in pretty much any drink that calls for it.

Pirate Slave - 2oz cachaça, .75oz sweet vermouth, .5oz Campari, splash simple, 2 dash orange bitters, flamed orange peel garnsih, iced DOF
Brazil 66 - .75oz lime, .75oz simple syrup, 1oz cachaca , .5oz Cointreau .5oz oj shake/coupe

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I don't know if this is a UK-only thing, but I've just discovered that there are companies that will send you the kit you need to make cocktails on a regular basis. It's like Graze, but for rummies.

I managed to snag one for free from a place called Shaken and it's their Manhattan kit. Rittenhouse rye, Antica Formula sweet vermouth, Noilly Prat dry vermouth, cognac, angostura bitters, orange & mandarin bitters and star anise & citric acid infused brandied cherries. I've just gotten into manhattans recently so this should be a wheeze.

This sounds like a terrible corporate shill. I mean, it partly is because if you use this link you get £5 off your first order and I get a little money off mine: https://www.shakencocktails.com/z82s

Then again, their regular site is here: https://www.shakencocktails.com/ so feel free to have a look at that if you don't want to line my pockets.

There's another one, also UK-based, called Twist: http://www.givemeatwist.com/ - It looks like they've not opened yet.

I think it's a fine idea, but I'm not sure that £30/month is the best value. Then again, if it's weird boozes and interesting bitters &c., it may be worth it.

Is there anything like this in the states?

I swear I'm not working for these guys - my kit arrived today and I got a little excited. That, and the referral code makes my booze cheaper. I like that. A lot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

haha Shaken Cocktails: Manhattan Kit.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
£30/month for 4 cocktails? If you consider that going out (in London anyways) and drinking a decent cocktail is going to cost you £8-15 anyways, this is actually a really cool idea!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
One thing, they're using dry vermouth in that manhatten.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I think the Antica Formula is the sweet vermouth. Looks like they're suggesting making a perfect manhattan - the accompanying book says to use 10ml of sweet, 5ml of dry. Will make a couple tonight and report back, if anyone's keen?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Who the gently caress puts Cognac in a Manhattan?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

rxcowboy posted:

Who the gently caress puts Cognac in a Manhattan?

I hope no one. But I did have a Stay Up Late after lunch and it was tasty:

- 1 1/2 oz. Gin

- 1/2 oz. Cognac

- 3/4 oz. Lime juice

- 3/4 oz. Simple syrup

Shaken with ice and strained. I used a VS to keep the cognac from fighting too much with the gin and it added a nice roundness to the drink and smoothed the lime a bit.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
I have finally let go of summer and accepted that fall weather is here. I decided to make a mulling spice simple syrup for some fall time-y drinks and am really happy with how it turned out.

I did a 2:2:1 of water:sugar:mulling spice, brought to a boil just do dissolve the sugar, let it sit until room temp and then strained into a mason jar for storage.

I've put it in 2 drinks so far and am proud of how they both came out.

2oz cognac
.75oz lemon juice
.5oz mulling spiced simple syrup
chunked up apple
2ds tobacco bitters (optional, any bitters would work here I think, something smoky if you have it)
Muddle/shake/coupe/apple slice

2oz rye
.75oz lemon juice
.5oz mulling spiced simple syrup
.25oz sweet vermouth
2ds maple bitters (optional again, ango or something on the sweet side would work)
Shake/coupe/lemon peel

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Flint_Paper posted:

I think the Antica Formula is the sweet vermouth. Looks like they're suggesting making a perfect manhattan - the accompanying book says to use 10ml of sweet, 5ml of dry. Will make a couple tonight and report back, if anyone's keen?

Yes please! I don't live in the UK anymore but I know plenty of people who would love this. More pictures of the booklet or whatever print stuff they gave you would be cool too, if you don't mind.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

Klauser posted:

I did a 2:2:1 of water:sugar:mulling spice

Is this by weight? And any specific mulling spice blend? The cocktails sound great. I am gearing up for my holiday party and looking to stretch a little so it isn't a repeat of the last few years - this looks like a good building block to use.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

That mulling spice syrup sounds pretty good, I think I will try it. The recipe with the apple and cognac sounds like a perfect drink to follow Thanksgiving dinner.

I've been using a spiced rye infused syrup lately that came from the new Canon recipe book. Its a really great way to add a lot of flavor in one step.

2oz sugar
1oz Rye
0.25oz Angostura
0.5oz water (not part of the recipe but I found it helps to keep it from crystallizing in the fridge)
2 cloves
2 star anise
10 allspice berries
1 cinnamon stick
Combine and heat until sugar melts. Allow to cool before removing the spices

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Chuck Biscuits posted:

That mulling spice syrup sounds pretty good, I think I will try it. The recipe with the apple and cognac sounds like a perfect drink to follow Thanksgiving dinner.

I've been using a spiced rye infused syrup lately that came from the new Canon recipe book. Its a really great way to add a lot of flavor in one step.

Tell me more about this recipe book. Mostly where do I get it?

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

At the moment it's only sold at Canon in Seattle. I've heard talk that it will eventually be sold through their website though. It's a pretty diverse combination of classic and original recipes and is pocket sized for easy carrying. I love it.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Decided to have a cocktail after work and make this a two drink day with a Toronto:

- 2 oz. Rye

- 1/2 oz. Fernet Branca

- 1/2 oz. Simple syrup (may use 1/3 oz. next time)

- A dash of Angostura

- Strip of lemon peel

All stirred with ice, strained into an old fashioned glass, spritzed with a lemon peel, and rim wiped with the peel before dropping in.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Butch Cassidy posted:

Decided to have a cocktail after work and make this a two drink day with a Toronto:

- 2 oz. Rye

- 1/2 oz. Fernet Branca

- 1/2 oz. Simple syrup (may use 1/3 oz. next time)

- A dash of Angostura

- Strip of lemon peel

All stirred with ice, strained into an old fashioned glass, spritzed with a lemon peel, and rim wiped with the peel before dropping in.

First, that sounds delicious. Second, what does it mean when every day is a two drink day for me?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I've come to the conclusion that a good gimlet is the most cheerful cocktail I've ever had.

It's only two ingredients, gin and lime cordial. But it's elegant in it's simplicity, and I don't think it's possible to not smile or be happy after a gimlet.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

rxcowboy posted:

First, that sounds delicious. Second, what does it mean when every day is a two drink day for me?

It means you're an enthusiast.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

rxcowboy posted:

I've come to the conclusion that a good gimlet is the most cheerful cocktail I've ever had.

It's only two ingredients, gin and lime cordial. But it's elegant in it's simplicity, and I don't think it's possible to not smile or be happy after a gimlet.

I love Gimlets and will happily blaspheme and say that a Gimlet is easily a better Gin cocktail than a Martini.

Anyway, I've decided to work my way through the IBA cocktail list, one drink at a time (With friends to help, of course). I've already tackled the Martini (Who hasn't?) and it's twin the Gibson. Last weekend a mate and I tried our hand at Caipirinhas and man are they good. Any suggestions for what to try next? I'm aiming to conquer the few ingredients ones first. A Negroni sounds great but the extra bottle of Campari adds $35 to the cost of what will be a one night event. Also I'm the only real Gin lover among my friends.

I'm currently looking at the Old Fashioned (A classic I've yet to try) or the Manhattan (Because it's a whisky Martini, what's not to love?). Preferably pre-dinner cocktails. I love sweet after-dinner cocktails but when I'm having a night with mates I'm looking for liquor, not sweets. Maybe an Americano? Sweeter is fine, just nothing with cream or syrups, basically.

I ask your guidance!

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

syntaxfunction posted:

I'm currently looking at the Old Fashioned (A classic I've yet to try) or the Manhattan (Because it's a whisky Martini, what's not to love?). Preferably pre-dinner cocktails. I love sweet after-dinner cocktails but when I'm having a night with mates I'm looking for liquor, not sweets.

Manhattan pre dinner -> Dinner -> Old Fashioned

Problem solved!

Both have a sweet accent, but I wouldn't call them sweet drinks; Manhattans from the sweet vermouth, old fashioned from the sugar. I love both, and you can't go wrong with either. Or a Sazerac.

Avoiding the caipirinha's close cousins, summer and pre-dinner for me = southsides, hemmingways, mint juleps, whisky sours or the much maligned mojito.

But seriously, keep Negronis on your list. Refreshing, tasty and *just* the right amount of alcohol to make the afternoon stretch into the evening.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Oct 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

There's a lot of lovely IBA cocktails/recipes. I really prefer the drinks index from Cocktail Chronicles as a primer.