Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I assume it's just you you're cooking for?

How much rice do you have?

I think one of the purchases you'll have to make is a big bag of onions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Yeah looks like onions at the food4less around you are 44 cents a pound.

Chicken is 89 cents a pound on special for dark meat quarters. This is going to be a better cost ratio of calories than a lot of things you can get.

I might even get 10 pounds and stash them all in the freezer.

Maybe some beans in there and carrots depending on price.

Hamburger patties can be turned into chili ground beef stew with onions and beans.

chicken and rice, use the left overs to make fried rice.

can make loco moco with hamburger patty, rice and a fried egg with some of your beef stew mix for a little hawaiian flair. ;)

maybe I will put in more effort tomorrow. also you have a gallon of oil so use it heavily it will provide additional calories.

edit. oo corn tortillas are 80 for two dollars that might be a good thing to eat your rice and beans with. think mexican staple foods.

copen fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 17, 2014

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Just buy a bunch of beans and rice, then grab $5 to $7 worth of whatever fruits vegetables are on sale at your closest ethnic marketplace each week. If you can make it to Zion Marketplace for instance, you could grab 5 pounds of cabbage, 5 bunches of green onions, 5 pounds of chayote, 7 lbs of melogold grapefruit, 3 pounds of napa cabbage, and a pack of mushrooms for $6 total. Spend the remaining money on spices that you need (get them in packets from ethnic markets or some place that sells in bulk) and on flour to make tortillas or roti or bread or whatever, plus garlic. If you don't know how to make beans and rice with vegetables taste good, find dino's posts in this thread or download this cookbook.

edit: I've never shopped at a food4less but 44 cents a pound for onions is more than you should probably be paying when you live in LA. I'm sure you can find ethnic markets that are cheaper than that somewhere quite close to you. Just look for the nearest place that no white people shop and let the savings commence.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 17, 2014

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Hey, Crossposting from the General Questions thread.

How much cooking do you do? Can you bake bread? You go a long wag on a bag of flour for bread or pittas or pizza or what have you.

If not, your crockpot is your friend. Buy cheap dry starches: beans, rice are the bulk of cheap calories. Noodles are cheap too, especially if you get them on sale. Look in the discount section of your supermarket. I find discontinued items or damaged boxes for cheap noodles.

Same goes for protein. Look for sale items and check the ethnic supermarkets. Pork shoulder is good in the crockpot and be stretched over a bunch of meals. Whole chickens are often discounted near their sell by date and are good for the meat and the bones for stock.

Lastly though not least important are veggies. Again, ethnic markets. Onions, carrots, cabbage are all cheap and tasty. Dried peppers are usually cheap too and can be reconstituted ams blended for easy sauces.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

TychoCelchuuu posted:

If you can make it to Zion Marketplace for instance, you could grab 5 pounds of cabbage, 5 bunches of green onions, 5 pounds of chayote, 7 lbs of melogold grapefruit, 3 pounds of napa cabbage, and a pack of mushrooms for $6 total.

The rest of the country can crash into the moon if these are the prices y'all get to have.

I think cabbage alone is $2/lb around here.

Same with 89 cents/lb dark meat.

Anyway, take a page from my roommate: make pasta (flour, eggs, water, extremely cheap), boil it, sautee the aforementioned dark meat in garlic and sautee a vegetable (fresh broccoli is probably extremely cheap), and you're good to go.

You're not going to be eating variety. I do not envy you. My greatest weakness is a need for a varied diet.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

The rest of the country can crash into the moon if these are the prices y'all get to have.

I think cabbage alone is $2/lb around here.

Same with 89 cents/lb dark meat.

Anyway, take a page from my roommate: make pasta (flour, eggs, water, extremely cheap), boil it, sautee the aforementioned dark meat in garlic and sautee a vegetable (fresh broccoli is probably extremely cheap), and you're good to go.

You're not going to be eating variety. I do not envy you. My greatest weakness is a need for a varied diet.
:rock: California produce prices! :rock:

There's really no cause to tell someone they can't eat a variety of foods for $49 a month in the poor person food thread. Maybe if we're talking "you can't eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner with entirely different ingredients from each other, every day," then sure, that's true, but in terms of "I'm poor," $49 buys you a a great amount of variety, especially if you live in California. Beans and rice cooked different ways with different vegetables is variety!

copen
Feb 2, 2003
yeah $49 here is not getting me very much. I live in a dead zone of shopping options though.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

:rock: California produce prices! :rock:

There's really no cause to tell someone they can't eat a variety of foods for $49 a month in the poor person food thread. Maybe if we're talking "you can't eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner with entirely different ingredients from each other, every day," then sure, that's true, but in terms of "I'm poor," $49 buys you a a great amount of variety, especially if you live in California. Beans and rice cooked different ways with different vegetables is variety!

I can cook pretty well, and I wouldn't have a terrible time feeding myself for $50 for a month, but I would absolutely have to cut back on variety since produce and meat are both super expensive outside of farmer's market season (a single head of broccoli is like $4-5) compared to most of the US.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

A big pot of pasta e fagioli is a great way to get yourself through a tight month. If it gets tedious, freeze some and use it for lunches. And you can tweak each serving a bit with added goodies like shredded roast chicken thigh or whatever later on. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasta_e_fagioli

Or get a Boston butt and make carnitas or pulled pork with it to leave you with a ton of inexpensive and filling protein and calories. Carnitas are as simple as salting the pork and some water and is just a variation of pulled pork that is very flexible to add to stuff through the week: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Carnitas

And a bag of flour with some yeast will make enough bread to last you the month as sandwiches/toast/can make bread bowls...did you say you have an oven? I can't remember now and can't check your post...anyway, bake this no-knead bread: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-crusty-white-bread-recipe

Some dried beans, cheap meat like chicken thigh or Boston butt, some flour and yeast with the rest of your budget spent on veggies as look good and cheap will keep you very well fed and not bored. A couple limes if you can score them cheap are a great way to liven up pre-roast meat and are handy for a quick dressing or vinegar substitute. And peanut butter. All hail peanut butter when the money crunch really hits. And all other times, peanut butter is great.

E: $49 for a month in Cali. with rice and slow cooker already on hand should be fine for variety for a month without feeling too pinched.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 17, 2014

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I can cook pretty well, and I wouldn't have a terrible time feeding myself for $50 for a month, but I would absolutely have to cut back on variety since produce and meat are both super expensive outside of farmer's market season (a single head of broccoli is like $4-5) compared to most of the US.
I want to eat less meat and more vegetables, but it's frustrating when things aren't on sale. Stuff like ginger here went to $5 a pound, and even brussels went up around $4. Meanwhile crapchicken went down to around $1.00/lb or less.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

feelz good man posted:

I want to eat less meat and more vegetables, but it's frustrating when things aren't on sale. Stuff like ginger here went to $5 a pound, and even brussels went up around $4. Meanwhile crapchicken went down to around $1.00/lb or less.

So eat things that are in season. Ginger and brussels sprouts are cheap in the summer-autumn, but this is the time of year to eat tons of root veggies, squashes and gourds and pumpkins of every variety, and whatever else you can find that is cheap. I'm sure there's some sort of veggie on sale - look for it, and plan your diet accordingly.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Just cooked a pretty big chunk of beef (top sirloin) by simply seasoning it with salt and pepper, then pan searing it in a cast iron pan on all sides and then roasting it at 325 until it reached 135 interior temps. Then let it rest after pooring a little bit of olive oil over it. It tastes awesome, is super tender and juicy, it was cheap and it's a lot of meat. My mom never made roast while I was growing up so I never really made any myself so this was my second attempt at a roast (the last one being 2 years ago or so). Really seem like I had skipped over a easy and cheap way to get delicous meat.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Just buy a bunch of beans and rice, then grab $5 to $7 worth of whatever fruits vegetables are on sale at your closest ethnic marketplace each week. If you can make it to Zion Marketplace for instance, you could grab 5 pounds of cabbage, 5 bunches of green onions, 5 pounds of chayote, 7 lbs of melogold grapefruit, 3 pounds of napa cabbage, and a pack of mushrooms for $6 total. Spend the remaining money on spices that you need (get them in packets from ethnic markets or some place that sells in bulk) and on flour to make tortillas or roti or bread or whatever, plus garlic. If you don't know how to make beans and rice with vegetables taste good, find dino's posts in this thread or download this cookbook.

edit: I've never shopped at a food4less but 44 cents a pound for onions is more than you should probably be paying when you live in LA. I'm sure you can find ethnic markets that are cheaper than that somewhere quite close to you. Just look for the nearest place that no white people shop and let the savings commence.

Anyone who has not read this book should do so if they are interested in keeping their food budget under control.

It was a slow day at work so I finally got around to reading it.

It is filled with very sound advice.

It explains a lot of things I am trying to show through pictures very well.

I just happen to eat a lot more meat. I also grew up with a mom and grandmother who could cook so I have a fondness for some American comfort foods.

I learned by their side starting at the age of 6. I have enjoyed cooking ever since and still seek to expand my knowledge on food.

I just think of what my grandmother who grew up during the depression would say when I have to throw out food. I can afford to eat more lavishly than I do, I just don't see the fun in it.

I know very little about Indian food and Mediterranean food so am excited to try some if the recipes in his book and explore them further.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

So eat things that are in season. Ginger and brussels sprouts are cheap in the summer-autumn, but this is the time of year to eat tons of root veggies, squashes and gourds and pumpkins of every variety, and whatever else you can find that is cheap. I'm sure there's some sort of veggie on sale - look for it, and plan your diet accordingly.

shopping at ethnic markets for things like ginger helps a ton. I buy 1 lb bags of ginger from 99 ranch market all the time for like, a buck.

Meat wise, whole chickens and/or thighs are often close to $1/lb and if you figure 1 lb of meat for one meal is extremely generous you can see how easy it can be to make it a month on 50bux. If you do stews, braises, stir fries, etc, you probably dont even need more than 1/4 lb per meal or so depending on fillers.

Pork shoulder is another good one. Here it's frequently ~$1.70/lb. You can make chili, pulled pork, stews, pozole, adobo, ramen, etc. with it.

Beef chuck is more expensive but it's still relatively affordable. typically around $2.99/lb here.

If you have a meat grinder you can tack on burgers, meatballs, even sausage making into the list of cheap foods.

As mentioned, knowing how to cook dried legumes can really stretch your dollar a long way. There are many different bean stews out there. The perennial favorite in GWS is red beans and rice. You can also make feijoada, a brazillian black bean and pork offal (or just pork meat if youre squeamish) stew. I personally prefer feijoada to red beans and rice. There is also cassoulet, fabada asturiana, borracho beans, etc. All are great.

Potatoes are also super cheap. 10 lb bags are often $3 here. Make baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, fries, chowders, even bread for sandwiches.

Bread! knowing how to make your own bread can really really save you a ton of money. Flour is dirt cheap. Once you get a good habit going, you don't even need to buy yeast anymore, just use portions of the previous batch to inoculate your new batch.

While on the subject of bread, sandwiches are a great way to save a lot of money if you make your own bread. If you make your own sandwich meats it can be even cheaper. this can be as simple as roasting up a whole chicken then picking off the meat once it's cooled or roasting off a roast beef and slicing thin to as complicated as curing a pork shoulder as cottage bacon. Remember pork shoulder is super duper cheap, so that means shoulder bacon is also cheap. And bacon is the goon's swiss army meat in the kitchen.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 17, 2014

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
Can I make hummus without tahini?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I never have tahini so I make my hummus with almond butter and it works fine. It's obviously not going to taste the exact same, but I always put plenty of spices in there too so it's ok with me.

May be try to make it with an almond/other not too flavourful nut butter and add a bit of sesame oil to get closer to the taste of tahini?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Crossposting from the general questions thread again:

Alright I just got done shopping for the month, so now my pantry in it's entirety contains:

Vegetables:

12 Cans of Tomato Puree
3.5 lbs of medium white onions
4 lbs Carrots
1 stalk celery
a bunch of garlic

(the rest of the seasonings are in 25 oz bottles)

Chili powder
Italian Seasoning
Seasoned Salt
Black Pepper
Crush red pepper flakes
ground cinnamon
oregano
garlic powder

The following starches:
Pancake Mix
3.5 boxes of macaroni
8lbs potatoes
5lbs rice (long grain, white)
1lbs pinto beans

Baking poo poo
4lbs sugar
4lbs flour (All purpose)
6 packets of yeast

In the fridge:
1qrt of vinegar
10 frozen hamburger patties
5qrts cookies and cream ice cream
3lbs frozen corn
12 eggs
Some mustard <1 jar
Some mayo 1+ <1 jar
1Gal Butter
1Gal Milk
3lbs Full bottom Round Roast (Cow)
3lbs Bone in, pork sirloin end roast (pig)

My roommate also has a few things like BBQ sauce, ketchup, relish and stuff like that but he's pretty lacking in the seasonings department.

What can I cook?

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 18, 2014

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Maybe return all the ice cream and buy some more beans.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

I would legit have bought 5x as many beans, but other than the ice cream instead of beans/lentils thing he did okay.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Nothing wrong with a frivolous treat during a rough month if you don't otherwise starve.

E: make a quiche to last a few days and do you have any oil?

E2: rub the pork roast or half of, roast it and bake some sliced potato in a quick béchamel sauce night one. Leftover pork to pasta the next day.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 18, 2014

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Turt, you should totally make ice cream bread with your massive overabundance of ice cream.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

doing some japanese inspired teriyaki rice bowls my wife really likes.

rest of the broccoli I had and almost the rest of my carrots, I am going to go to the better store tomorrow.

steam veggies, not very long. I did it with a drizzle of soy sauce on them too, it is pretty good.

leave onions in longer if they need it.

make rice and saute your chicken that was brined in soy sauce in hot oil.

the soy sauce kind of makes a mess of your pan.

If it is the type of pan you can put under hot water while really hot, do that.

It will come out looking like this. Next thing I make in it is probably bacon so i'll just leave it. I could put a light coat of oil in it to bring it back up to par.

drizzle with a little teriyaki sauce on top, serve with soy sauce on the side. Could use some pickled ginger too.

I put the rest of the veggies and a chicken tenderloin in the fridge for a possible frittata this weekend.

This is probably a better summer recipe but I make it year round to appease my wife.

You could also stretch this chicken a little further but today was a weight lifting day and I could use a little extra protein.

copen fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 18, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ron Jeremy posted:

The ice cream was on sale for a dollar because it was also damaged / manager's special

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I make chicken a lot like that but I'm interested in the steaming because drat yours looks worlds better than the frozen vegetables I use. Do I really just need to suck it up and get a steamer? Could I do it in my rice cooker with the steam basket in place?

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Yeah, I used to use my rice cooker with the basket. I got the bamboo steamer with my wok for cheap and I think they are cool.

Just check them a lot to get your desired doneness. You could steam it with the rice but I don't really recommend it.

I did my rice first then into a bowl with saran wrap on top and it stayed plenty warm till my veggies where done.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Steamers aren't CRAZY expensive, I just already get yelled at for how much kitchen poo poo I have (no, it's not a lot, I don't even have a food processor or a mixer).

I might just get one next time I hit up an Asian market. Might do that tomorrow, in fact.

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes
I have gone from IT manager to nothing (can't find work even as a help desk tech) to eating so poorly its sad. I have a girlfriend to support and her daughter, who I have decided is mine. This thread is amazing! I have a pressure cooker and my little girl loves my pork and black bean mix on homemade flour tortillas. She will eat well and never know we are struggling.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

1. find stuff

2. make stuff proper sized

3. cook in hot oil with salt

4. add eggs

5. finish in oven.

6. add toppings

7. ????

8. profit.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

went to the store.

code:

4.25lb Pork shoulder		$12.71
1dzn Cage Free eggs		$3.79

1.12lb Pinto beans		$1.67

1.13lb Acorn squash		$.54

5lb carrots			$2.99
Cilantro			$.50
2 Jalepenos			$.26
3 limes				$.75
Orange				$.43
3 tomatoes			$.43
avocado				$.88
7lb yellow onion		$3.30

Small piece of local parm	$2.31

tax				$1.22

TOTAL				$31.78

had to get more onions, and carrots and running low on parm.

I got the pork shoulder even though it was $2.99 a lb. this is not a very good price and if you are really trying to stay on a budget I would skip it unless it is $1.99 a lb or less. I will cut this in half and stash it in the freezer for something else or the same thing in a couple weeks. Theres a nice piece of fat on there we will try to put to good use as well.

tomatoes, jalepenos, limes and the avocado are from mexico.

It is summer time there so this stuff is in season there. This stuff has to be trucked hundreds or thousands of miles to your local supermarket so I don't like buying it in the winter time anyways.

I wanted to do a whole crash course on mexican cuisine though and felt these where necessary. at least they are ripe.

If this where just for my and my wife I would skip the tomato and avocado in the winter time.

Cilantro is always cheap year round $.50 in the winter and like 100 for a dollar in the summer (cause of genetics and/or immaturity)

Acorn squash, a little over a pound for $.50 and is a seasonal vegetable I like that. Maybe we will do some cool stuff with it.

I try to buy all the vegetables I can from as close as I can. If I see stuff grown in Colorado I will opt for it almost always even if it costs a little more.

The eggs where expensive. I sprung the extra dollar for the cage free variety. Please do so if you can. Your family comes first though.

oh and pinto beans, $1.49 a pound in bulk, ugh.

This was a little over what I wanted to spend total. Things could be cut further if necessary. I also bought a bottle of cheap chardonnay to have with dinner and perhaps use in the dish.

I put my leafy herbs into a glass of water, they seem to keep better that way then in the fridge.

the sad stuff on the right is the rest of my parsley I bought last friday.

I still have a few celery stalks in my fridge too so I will probably use that, the parsley, and the rest of the thyme in the fridge and the two chicken carcasses in my freezer to make stock this weekend.

copen fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 18, 2014

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

GabrielAisling posted:

Can I make hummus without tahini?

Tahini is just sesame seeds and olive oil. I got a huge thing of sesame seeds for like $3 awhile back. Use your food processor (or whatever you're using since this is the poor people thread) on the sesame seeds and olive oil and then make the rest of the hummus.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

Dogdoo 8 posted:

Tahini is just sesame seeds and olive oil. I got a huge thing of sesame seeds for like $3 awhile back. Use your food processor (or whatever you're using since this is the poor people thread) on the sesame seeds and olive oil and then make the rest of the hummus.

Well that certainly solves a lot of problems. Thanks!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I actually keep my cilantro and parsley in glasses of water in the fridge and cover them over tent-like with the little plastic bag they came in. They tend to last quite a while that way.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Dogdoo 8 posted:

neat!

Breaky posted:

I actually keep my cilantro and parsley in glasses of water in the fridge and cover them over tent-like with the little plastic bag they came in. They tend to last quite a while that way.

I'm going to try this. maybe I can dig my bags out of the trash still :blush:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Does anyone grow vegetables/herbs inside? Eventually it's a savings I'm sure, and I got the light and buckets for free, but I'n not sure what to start with.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

My wife and I have taken to grocery shopping bi-weekly to give us a couple more outdoor days per week and to let us hit the store with more money. Oh, *thing* is on great sale come the weekend, we'll lay in a good bit and have it in the freezer for a while. The rice is running low, we'll get a 20 lb bag next trip. Buying cider and wine vinegar and canola oil by the gallon. Flour 25 lbs at a time. It is nice compared to weekly shopping where cash is tighter and we blow more $/lb on smaller batches of staples. It is working out great, but we will have to set aside a little of the budget for fresh short-life veggies come harvest season. The root veg, hearty greens, and cabbage variations right now are playing great with bulk life in the fridge.

Last trip we focused on vinegar, oil, flour, sugar, peanut butter, and the other baking goodies that were running low.

This trip, we were free to focus on dried beans, tinned tomato/clam/tuna/dairy goods, and some spices.

Next trip will see a Boston butt, rice, dried pasta, carrots because no decent looking bulk carrots in the store this weekend, and the rest of the spices we are getting low on.

Every trip sees the money left after our primary focus (determined by sales and/or need) spent on whatever veg looks good that we can store or prep and freeze. Then a little left for fresh veg. on the off week. A handful of citrus, some aromatic veggies like onion/pepper/celery/garlic get tossed in the cart every trip.

How do you guys structure your shopping? We have a full size fridge/freezer, a large pantry space in the cellar, and a deep freeze to make bulk possible. The nearest grocer with good prices is twenty miles away and this plan saves us gas and bulk staples help keep us from having to pay $tupid locally.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
risotto, a recipe born in the Italian grandmothers kitchen to use up things. Confiscated by the fine dining establishment in the 80's and 90's to feature expensive ingredients.

Cut acorn squash in half, roasted with oil and salt in a pretty hot oven. pulled the seeds early. some of them got a little darker and more bitter than I wanted.
Stock is heating on the stove.

other half into the fridge as well as half of that onion for breakfast.

Chicken breast, white wine, arborio rice, parmesan cheese, butter, onion, garlic.

heat stock in a separate pan. cook onion and squash in hot oil with salt.

add garlic

rice.

Cook for a minute or two.

add a ladle full of stock to deglaze the pan, a splash of wine or a tiny amount of vinegar (or lemon/citrus juice) to help lift up such a heavy dish.

stir in the stock until rice absorbs the liquid.

add more stock, repeat. you don't have to stir constantly just don't let it burn. so don't walk away too long.

it is done when the rice gets tender enough to eat. if there is too much liquid let it simmer to reduce it out. stir to prevent burning.

saute chicken breasts in a hot pan. melt butter and stir in parmesan cheese into your risotto.

when chicken breasts are almost done we are going to start on our pan sauce. you can make a pan sauce with anything I promise, ask google if you don't believe me.

I am making mine with a splash of wine, butter and some stock. I added a touch of dijon mustard and some of my wife's coffee half and half in it. leave on the heat on a gentle simmer till it reduces to a syrupy consistency.

came out a little monotone, chopped up a little of my wilting parsley to give it a bit of color.

it was pretty tasty, very rich and heavy. If I where to do it again I would try to feature the squash a little better and maybe a little less cheese to lighten it up. maybe some other vegetable to give it some additional color. I was going to use the seeds to garnish as well but I forgot, I will munch on them instead.

edit: rest of the stock saved in a container till tomorrow.

copen fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 19, 2014

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Butch Cassidy posted:

My wife and I have taken to grocery shopping bi-weekly to give us a couple more outdoor days per week and to let us hit the store with more money. Oh, *thing* is on great sale come the weekend, we'll lay in a good bit and have it in the freezer for a while. The rice is running low, we'll get a 20 lb bag next trip. Buying cider and wine vinegar and canola oil by the gallon. Flour 25 lbs at a time. It is nice compared to weekly shopping where cash is tighter and we blow more $/lb on smaller batches of staples. It is working out great, but we will have to set aside a little of the budget for fresh short-life veggies come harvest season. The root veg, hearty greens, and cabbage variations right now are playing great with bulk life in the fridge.

Last trip we focused on vinegar, oil, flour, sugar, peanut butter, and the other baking goodies that were running low.

This trip, we were free to focus on dried beans, tinned tomato/clam/tuna/dairy goods, and some spices.

Next trip will see a Boston butt, rice, dried pasta, carrots because no decent looking bulk carrots in the store this weekend, and the rest of the spices we are getting low on.

Every trip sees the money left after our primary focus (determined by sales and/or need) spent on whatever veg looks good that we can store or prep and freeze. Then a little left for fresh veg. on the off week. A handful of citrus, some aromatic veggies like onion/pepper/celery/garlic get tossed in the cart every trip.

How do you guys structure your shopping? We have a full size fridge/freezer, a large pantry space in the cellar, and a deep freeze to make bulk possible. The nearest grocer with good prices is twenty miles away and this plan saves us gas and bulk staples help keep us from having to pay $tupid locally.

buying in bulk will save you money in the long run. I tend to buy the largest bottle of oil, biggest thing of salt etc. at the grocery store every time. If there are a lot of pantry staples that need to be restocked that week maybe I will get some smaller containers to keep the over all bill down.

I go twice a week almost always to get things.

If you where going to live the winter eating mostly root veg and squashes and stuff your way could work very easily. just maybe plan your meals two weeks out. Use up any veg you get that might go bad right away obviously, if there is any celery left at the end of its life you can make stock.

Growing your own herbs would help keep the need for shopping trips down too. If you buy fresh herbs from the store and they are going bad on you before you can use them. You can tie them in bundles and hang them upside down to dry. This makes for better dried herbs than anything from the containers you find anyways. I use these dried herbs and stems in stock too even.

I am going to grow a garden this year. And try to can as much stuff from my garden and the farmers market that I can to use through the next winter.

copen fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 19, 2014

copen
Feb 2, 2003

divided my pork shoulder, left the rest of the fat on the piece that is going into the freezer.

hmm what are these.

diced and rendered over low heat for a long time. (like an hour)

lard on the left, lardons on the right.

leftover squash and onion, a potato and some of our lardons.

dice

I boiled the potatoes a few minutes on the stove first, it will help with browning. This method works great for oven roasted potatoes.

onions and potatoes into some hot oil and salt. cook kind of low heat to give the onions time to carmelize and the potatoes to cook through.

add squash and lardons

cook for a bit moving the pieces around. spread out and squash down to help make a crust.

fry some eggs.

acorn squash hash

roasted acorn squash seeds would be nice in this. I already ate them all though.

copen fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 19, 2014

copen
Feb 2, 2003
got dinner started while watching football.

onion, orange, jalepeno, garlic, seared pieces of pork shoulder, cumin, coriander seed and garlic.

started with toasting my coriander seeds, a tip I learned from reading dino's book. pan is a little messy, I used it to sear my pork. Oh well it is all flavor.

cook onions and diced jalepeno in oil and salt. (no coriander in the steel pan)

cook until translucent, add rest of spices, garlic.

orange zest into the red pan.

pork shoulder and orange juice into the red pan, beans into the other. beans where brined over night.

add stock, halfway up the meat. Covering the beans completely. Add some cilantro to the carnitas.

cover and into a 350 degree oven for 3-4 hours, check it every now and then for liquid. add water if needed.

simmer beans on the stove top (could do it in the oven with a lid probably)

edit: there is nothing wrong with using a crock pot for any of this, I just don't.

copen fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copen
Feb 2, 2003

make or buy tortillas

prep for pico and guac

dice things, mash the avacado and add salt and lime juice to both bowls.

add some cilantro, onion and jalepeno to both bowls

shred your carnitas then fry in a little fat. You want the ends to crisp up.

I used the lard from the fat I got off the shoulder, and the fat that rendered while braising it.

you can do this in the oven, I did it on the stove.

My pot was cleaned after braising the carnitas in it.

nuked some of the lardons I had in the fridge in the microwave for a few seconds. Topped my beans with them and some pico.