Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Tatsuta Age posted:

panahar is bangladeshi, you swine! Also, Steinbeck's has always been exactly what I expected (decent pub food) when I went there

There are parts of this world where Bangladesh is India and India Bangladesh, so I should be excused for getting their food mixed up. Also i just want some Vindaloo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

Coredump posted:

There are parts of this world where Bangladesh is India and India Bangladesh, so I should be excused for getting their food mixed up. Also i just want some Vindaloo.

Panahar is okay. meh. The decor and food is just mediocre to the extreme.

I've actually never been to Zyka, but I hear it's good. But when I'm out that way, there's really no reason not to go to Chai Pani, which is hands-down the best loving Indian food in the USA.

Another new "Indian Street Food" place is Masti over in the Toco Hills shopping center. It's blatantly a Chai Pani rip-off, down to the artwork, decor, and overall theme. The food is a bit different, which is a good thing. It's really hard not to compare it to Chai Pani, but it needs to be done. The food is surprisingly good! It's not as 'fresh' and vibrant, but it still holds its own. No cocktails or decent imbiding here though. Masti is owned by the same guys that own Cafe Bombay just down the road. I'd go here over many other places in Atlanta, or if I want something different than Chai Pani. it's packed full of Indians, so yeah, it's decent.

Chai Pani is working on their 2nd location in the Ponce Market, hopefully will be open in the spring?. They (same owners) also just opened up their new BBQ restaurant in Asheville, NC Buxton Hall BBQ which does all old school smoking techniques - http://www.buxtonhall.com/
https://instagram.com/buxtonhallbbq

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Landrobot posted:

Panahar is okay. meh. The decor and food is just mediocre to the extreme.

I've actually never been to Zyka, but I hear it's good. But when I'm out that way, there's really no reason not to go to Chai Pani, which is hands-down the best loving Indian food in the USA.

Another new "Indian Street Food" place is Masti over in the Toco Hills shopping center. It's blatantly a Chai Pani rip-off, down to the artwork, decor, and overall theme. The food is a bit different, which is a good thing. It's really hard not to compare it to Chai Pani, but it needs to be done. The food is surprisingly good! It's not as 'fresh' and vibrant, but it still holds its own. No cocktails or decent imbiding here though. Masti is owned by the same guys that own Cafe Bombay just down the road. I'd go here over many other places in Atlanta, or if I want something different than Chai Pani. it's packed full of Indians, so yeah, it's decent.

Chai Pani is working on their 2nd location in the Ponce Market, hopefully will be open in the spring?. They (same owners) also just opened up their new BBQ restaurant in Asheville, NC Buxton Hall BBQ which does all old school smoking techniques - http://www.buxtonhall.com/
https://instagram.com/buxtonhallbbq

eh... I mean, I like chai pani, don't get me wrong - it's just very..... particular. they have their own style.

indian and bangladeshi varies soooo much depending on who's cooking it and where they're from. I'll just say that Zyka / INDO PAK are their own beasts. I feel like probably more "authentic"? or maybe I'm mistaking greasebomb fast-food deliciousness for authenticity. but the only place I've had curries similar are outside of the US, in countries with large indian populations.

And of course panahar is it's own thing too, to whatever degree. anyways, they're all good and now you've made me hungry. :mad:

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
If you're tired of Wagaya, Ginya Izakaya just opened up on Northside, at the shopping center where Azio is.

http://ginyaatlanta.com/

It's an exact copy of Shoya Izakaya(same owner), but it's much closer to me, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Their menu looks almost exactly the same, except maybe they have more ramen choices here. They are not yet serving alcohol which seems a bit odd being an izakaya, but that should be fixed soon.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

AgentHaiTo posted:

If you're tired of Wagaya, Ginya Izakaya just opened up on Northside, at the shopping center where Azio is.

http://ginyaatlanta.com/

It's an exact copy of Shoya Izakaya(same owner), but it's much closer to me, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Their menu looks almost exactly the same, except maybe they have more ramen choices here. They are not yet serving alcohol which seems a bit odd being an izakaya, but that should be fixed soon.

gently caress yeah

thank you for the heads up. I'm tired of going to miso / craft izakaya and just wishing I was at shoya. Northside is a much more reasonable drive than all the way out to 285.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, that's great for me. Very accessible.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

is that ramen popup at soundtable cool

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

is that ramen popup at soundtable cool

No, it's not worth your time. The ramen I ordered was cold in the middle, too salty, and cost too much.

I ordered Takoyaki and the middle was frozen solid. Go to Shoya Izakaya for decent Japanese food.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've had tons of disappointing ramen experiences in atlanta. :(

I really enjoyed Yakitori Jinbei, but other than that...

Had ramen at makan tonight, was pretty spot on. I've heard miso's is good, but haven't had it yet... next time!

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

haven't had a chance to go to ponce city market yet, anyone try anything there?

Ate lunch there today.

When I arrived, there were a handful of surface level parking spots available and a number of signs saying to pay for parking when you park. So I ventured to the underground parking decks to see if they were free or had something like 2 hours free parking. They did not. The underground parking is kind of messy right now with exit signs directing you to blocked off lanes. Also where you are supposed to drive felt rather narrow and I think people are going to scrape the sides of their cars against the stanchions. Anyway, parking wasn't any free-er underground and I had no signal on my phone to pay for parking via the app, so I went back to the surface to park. I generally don't like the idea of paying for parking ahead of time and declaring how long I'll be there.

The food hall space is really big. There's a wide corridor that runs through it all. While I'd say the place seemed busy relative to how much is actually open there, it didn't yet feel cramped.

At this time, there are four places open that I want to try: Jia, Dub's Fish Camp, H&F Burger, and Hop's Chicken. I ate the last two since they seemed the most reasonable to do in one trip as they basically serve one main item each. The other two will probably require a trip each.

I had a cheeseburger and fries at H&F and was disappointed. It has been a long time since I've had the burger at H&F proper, but this one did not match up to my memory of the original 10 o'clock burger. The bun was mashed down and did not resemble my recollection of the original. The mix and quality of the beef was fine, but the whole thing felt like it was made with about as much care as something you'd get at Chick-fil-A. Fries were fine, but nothing special. The house ketchup was really thin and I just didn't care for it at all.

At Hop's Chicken I had a chicken sandwich and coleslaw and it was nothing special. The sandwich was fine, but pretty much on par with Chick-fil-A (but with better/more pickles). I had hoped it would be a noticeable step up, but it wasn't. So it was fine, but disappointing at the same time.

So while these two places were disappointing, I am interested in the going back for other places. I saw Hector Santiago there and I have hopes that Super Pan will be really good. I'm curious to try Jia and hope it isn't mediocre. Dub's could be good, or it could be overpriced (or both).

venutolo fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 3, 2015

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
that is like the most detailed, best possible trip report I could ever hope for. <3 venutolo

I was a hopkins / h&f fanboi for a long time, but I've been feeling the same way the past couple of years. nothing measures up anymore. Eugene isn't as good, H&F is a wasteland, I believe your trip report about their PCM ventures, I had Linton's at the bontanical gardens, it sucked... dunno.

I got to know a lot of the H&F staff when I lived across the street, they've almost all migrated at this point. I think it was just mainly Ryan and the staff pulling the cart, and they're all gone now so.............. Linton's ideas are great, but he ain't there cooking poo poo.....

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
From talking to restaurant friends, it seems that H&F has expanded past their capability to keep the quality high, there has been a talent exodus, and Linton's spread too thin. It just isn't what it used to be. I will still hold H&F in a special place in my heart for what they were years ago, but at the same time feel a tinge of disappointment for what they are now.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

mindphlux posted:

I've had tons of disappointing ramen experiences in atlanta. :(

I really enjoyed Yakitori Jinbei, but other than that...

Jinbei isn't as good as it used to be, sadly. Their ramen has gone downhill in the last couple years.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I have always liked Umaido up in Suwanee for ramen. The chef from there is consulting on a new place that is scheduled to open next month on Cheshire Bridge in the shopping center at Lavista. I will give it a month to get its legs, so hopefully it will do well. It will be called Hajime.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Speaking of Ramen

http://atlanta.eater.com/2015/10/5/9453795/makan-ramen-fest-monday-night-brewing

The third edition of Makan's Ramen Fest will get out of the Decatur restaurant and into the taproom at Westside's Monday Night Brewing. The battle for Atlanta's best ramen is set for Wednesday, October 14, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., when chefs from 20 local eateries will offer their takes on the noodle soup. Look for ramen from:

Makan
Kimball House
Victory Sandwich Bar/Little Trouble
St. Cecilia
Leon's Full Service
The  Pig & The Pearl
Pine Street Market
Chai Pani
Seven Lamps
Saltyard
Marcel
Alma Cocina
Field Dog Kitchen
Steinbeck's Ale House
Southbound
No. 246
Twain's Brewpub & Billiards
Watershed on Peachtree
Farm Burger
Sweet Auburn BBQ

Sun Noodles, Brasstown Beef, and Heritage Farms will supply ingredients, and diners can vote on their picks for the best ramen to determine a winner. Last fall, St. Cecilia's Italian-style soup took home top billing. Tickets, available online or at the door, are $45 and come with unlimited samples of ramen and beer from Monday Night. A portion of proceeds will be donated to The Giving Kitchen.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Anne Quatrano, hanging out in all white linen and sandals, was keeping shop at her new joint W.H. Stiles Fish House or whatever it's called in Ponce City Market on Saturday evening when I was there. I tried desperately, and succeeded, not to hound her with questions about her Summerland cookbook or the farm of the same name. They have a cocktail bar without the booze in the form of on-command soda mixing- I had basically orange dreamsicle and it was fantastic. I had the shrimp poboy which is identical to Star Provisions because it's my favorite thing ever; gotta crack the recipe of the spiced mayo they use. I'm a simple man. Anyway- I'll be back for oysters. It looks built to be an oyster bar, you sit around long little tiled peninsulas staring into glassed ice and oyster the heck up.

I really want Spiller Park coffee to get their poo poo together and start serving on a regular basis, every time I go they are nerding out trying to tune the whole operation for ONE kind of espresso bean in that day (Black Cat, 2x) and only serving that, or present but not open. These are the dudes behind Steady Hand, the whole reason I moved to Decatur because they'd make you siphon coffee service for $5. Steady Hand shuttered like a month later. I love you Thomas, but maybe curb your nerd enough to keep the biz running.

I really want Guy's (?) ramen joint to open soon.
Also, the chinese joint was serving air-fried wings and they were amazing. My guess is they're made with infrared?

kuskus fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 6, 2015

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Here to Serve just shut ALL their restaurants down last night. wow

http://whatnowatlanta.com/here-to-serve-closes-all-ten-of-its-atlanta-restaurants/

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I dearly love me some Fatt Matt's, but you'd think the staff there has never seen a guy drink down a cup of warm sauce. On the plus side it serves as a minor party trick that results in some free food more often than not so I suppose that's fine.

There was a food channel show doing some filming of food trucks a few months after the city became a frozen hellscape that one time; I believe it was Mac the Cheese or something similar. Does anyone know if it ever aired?

Warbird fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 17, 2015

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
did some new-food-tryin' over the weekend. went to little bach for my birthday. I had expected to blow out my budget (shamefully tempted by the $115 caviar service) but restrained myself and stuck to some cheap bubbly. ordered 4 apps and 1 entree, a bottle of wine, and got out for about $125 + t/t for two. a deal, really. Food was all excellent, and service great.

also finally went to ponce city market. place is madhouse silly. did the hops chicken joint. was pretty clear it was set up to be logistically just a fast food restaurant, but doing linton's bidding. dark meat chicken was juicy, well seasoned, and well done, we got it hot (which wasn't at all hot), expo forgot half of our order (and half of other people's standing around), price was around $25 for two.

not bad, not anything I'd rush to get again.

edit: also struggled with parking at PCM. I'd normally just walk or bike, but I was hungry af and hungover. having to declare how long I wanted to park totally ruined it for me. I would have stayed an hour longer checking poo poo out if I wasn't so worried about getting back to my car before parking expired.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 20, 2015

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
How would you describe the "dressiness" of Little Bacch? Would I be out of place in jeans and a polo shirt?

I went to Minero at Ponce City Market last weekend. Had the burrito and two tacos. Burrito was great. Tacos were only okay. I work near enough to Buford Highway that I can hit it up for lunch, so I can get my fill of good, cheap tacos. So paying $3.50 and $4 for small tacos I didn't love was a put off. I'd definitely go again and get the burrito and some other non-tacos, and then after they've been open a few months I'll give the tacos another go.

Parking there does suck. When I went last, I ended up paying for double the amount of time I ended up needing. Also the Parkmobile app doesn't work on Android Marshmallow. And if it did work for me, the convenience charge is 20+%. So when I parked, I went to the pay station and it was not working. So I had to find another one.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Why not park: behind Chipotle / MJQ, at Murder Kroger and walk through the fancy new entrance on the beltline, off Glen Iris, or in the cul de sac behind Eats, and just walk 2-3 blocks? The lot in front of Camelli's is a free for all. Typical parking safety rules apply, i.e. valuables out of reach. Warning: I am a non-driver. I literally walk to these markets from Midtown and like it. But I'm definitely not paying for parking at a place I used to live next door to if I'm with a friend who's driving.
I'll return when The Mercury, Ton Ton, Super Pan open up.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 20, 2015

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kuskus posted:

Why not park: behind Chipotle / MJQ, at Murder Kroger and walk through the fancy new entrance on the beltline, off Glen Iris, or in the cul de sac behind Eats, and just walk 2-3 blocks? The lot in front of Camelli's is a free for all. Typical parking safety rules apply, i.e. valuables out of reach. Warning: I am a non-driver. I literally walk to these markets from Midtown and like it. But I'm definitely not paying for parking at a place I used to live next door to if I'm with a friend who's driving.
I'll return when The Mercury, Ton Ton, Super Pan open up.

BECAUSE I WAS HUNGRY AND HUNG OVER AND NOW IM QUITE CROSS AS WELL drat YOU KUSKUS

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

How would you describe the "dressiness" of Little Bacch? Would I be out of place in jeans and a polo shirt?

it was pretty casual, but casual in that 'westside' sense of casual. like, casual - but your annual income is $500k+, so, you know, like whatever, maybe you'll wear your $200 pair of khakis.

there were some bros in jeans and tucked in polos, we met a guy (apparently a regular) called "krazy larry" who apparently is a complete drunk, sounds like tom waits, and is now our best friend. he was wearing his brand of "krazy larry" pants upon which he makes his millions https://www.facebook.com/Krazy-Larry-Pants-436622180696/

there was also folks in slacks and blazers and expensive sweaters and poo poo. long story short, I think you'd be fine in jeans and a polo.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
on a roll, another place visited, though not really new - lusca.

I really enjoy octopus bar, but lusca wasn't doing it for me. the menu was a lot smaller than I was expecting, and the items a bit less interesting. had some poorly cooked flank steak, a standout egg / sea urchin dish, my gal had some rabbit tagliatelle which was good, some sides which were ehh, a ho hum charcuterie board (for like $22), and tasted a few other apps other people ordered which were all pretty borderline.

not a bad experience on a whole, the food wasn't bad by any means - I guess I was just expecting inspiration and greatness, like I've seen in some of the octopus bar items. which I found with the sea urchin dish, but felt missing in the rest of the meal. I doubt I'll remember anything we had other than the urchin a month from now.

also lol, a $95 porterhouse steak

I guess it's buckhead? so why not?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
PCM trip #3

Ate at Dub's Fish Camp. Had the crab beignets, spoonbread, and slaw. Crab beignets were really good. I loved the spoonbread (I love savory puddings). Slaw was fine.

Then ate at Minero. Had the wings and mula (sweet potatoes, mushrooms, cheese between two tortillas). I very much enjoyed both.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I kept on thinking that 'fish camp' sounded like a delightfully silly name, like a boyscout camp where you'd go and catch trout and cook them out on a cast iron skillet or something

yesterday met someone from the carolinas who randomly dropped 'fish camp' in casual conversation (doesn't live in ATL) and I discovered they are actually their own thing. equally delicious sounding, and still a good name!

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

I finally went to Tamarind Seed last night, after years of meaning to check the place out. I've read about Chef Nan, and have a ton of respect for her based on what I'd read, but hadn't eaten at either of her places.

The decor was really well done. It was comfortable, but stylish, and just-mismatched-enough (that one table made out of a huge barrel). Also, since it's Halloween, they had a scary clown and a Chinese vampire sitting up near the ceiling, and a family of milky-eyed zombies/mummies just inside the front door. Including a swaddled zombie baby. Mad props for looking upscale but not taking themselves seriously.

I had my standard, by which I judge all Thai restaurants, pad see ew. Tofu doesn't show up even once on the whole menu, but it wasn't a problem when I asked if I could have that as my protein. The server just asked if I was okay with eggs (yes, never not eggs). It was very tasty, very well prepared, and served obviously having just come out of the wok.

The flavor was excellent. Pad see ew is such a simple dish, but some restaurants still manage to gently caress it up -- most by not putting enough sauce, but some by having a poor balance of light and dark soy sauces. Their version was pretty much spot on, and also had a subtle flavor I couldn't pin down. The menu described the dish as being made with "herbed soy sauce", which I initially interpreted as a way to get around having to explain black soy sauce to business dudes, but now I think they're being quite literal.

My lady friend had the garlic-ginger veggie stir-fry, which she loved even though there was no detectable ginger in it. Lucky for her she really likes garlic. We also tried the spring rolls, which were pretty good but not as perfectly light as the ones at Siam; and a side of the pineapple fried rice, which was downright disappointing and flavorless.

Overall, one of the better Thai places I've been to in the city, but not worth leaving Decatur for when Siam is right here. Great place to meet people in the brotastic business-wastes of central midtown.

For afters we walked down the street to the new intown Sweet Hut location, praise diabetic Korean Jesus.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Spiller Park coffee @ PCM is now open on their red floating island bar by HF burg, and it warms my heart. Their machine is tuned to black cat espresso, and I tried their George Howell El Salvador pourover which is definitely as good as it's normally made by the same staff at Empire State South. The bike valet at PCM is really fantastic. Hector Santiago was shifting many things around inside Super Pan. It's all coming together!

Non sequitur: I made 64 x 3" coffee stout macaron ice cream sandwiches last night and gave them away this morning because I'm apparently stupid; or I need to do something locally with food soon. Using the actual cream to steep the coffee (and then removing) instead of adding brewed coffee is the way to go.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Is there a good (and preferably cheap I guess) place to get good rice balls anywhere? A friend of mine is on a mission to see if she can get good rice balls anywhere than MoMoYa (and they haven't been on the menu for over a year THERE even, but their salmon rice balls are pretty good), and I'm sure she can, but we don't really know where to start. We were hoping the Buford Highway Farmer's Market had some but it looks like it's mostly Korean fare when we looked. Yes yes, we could just make our own but that's not the point.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Comic posted:

Is there a good (and preferably cheap I guess) place to get good rice balls anywhere? A friend of mine is on a mission to see if she can get good rice balls anywhere than MoMoYa (and they haven't been on the menu for over a year THERE even, but their salmon rice balls are pretty good), and I'm sure she can, but we don't really know where to start. We were hoping the Buford Highway Farmer's Market had some but it looks like it's mostly Korean fare when we looked. Yes yes, we could just make our own but that's not the point.

Hate to be that guy, but I'm gonna be.
Onigiri is super easy to make, so I'm not sure why you'd wanna buy it. Just put a flavorful filling in the middle of a ball of rice, and put some seaweed around the outside.

It's like asking how to make a bologna sandwich. Yeah, I'm sure you can find a place to order a bologna sandwich, but why would you?
Most people only eat bologna sandwich, or onigiri, for lunch when they're on the move.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Hate to be that guy, but I'm gonna be.
Onigiri is super easy to make, so I'm not sure why you'd wanna buy it. Just put a flavorful filling in the middle of a ball of rice, and put some seaweed around the outside.

It's like asking how to make a bologna sandwich. Yeah, I'm sure you can find a place to order a bologna sandwich, but why would you?
Most people only eat bologna sandwich, or onigiri, for lunch when they're on the move.

She's no good at it. She is not the best at following recipes either. A disaster in the kitchen, she didn't even have a cutting board until someone gave her one, claiming using her plates was 'just fine'. No real knives outside of a serrated steak knife. No rice cooker, a single pot and a large slow cooker, little counter space. The hole goes deeper, I can only help her so much at a time. I'm imagining after she's bought enough of them she'll try to make one more carefully than her past failed attempts.

But she's super into rice balls, she had found a really nice place in Seattle when she visited and was hoping she could get some here too, but you can't even find them on the menu anywhere.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Comic posted:

She's no good at it. She is not the best at following recipes either. A disaster in the kitchen, she didn't even have a cutting board until someone gave her one, claiming using her plates was 'just fine'. No real knives outside of a serrated steak knife. No rice cooker, a single pot and a large slow cooker, little counter space. The hole goes deeper, I can only help her so much at a time. I'm imagining after she's bought enough of them she'll try to make one more carefully than her past failed attempts.

But she's super into rice balls, she had found a really nice place in Seattle when she visited and was hoping she could get some here too, but you can't even find them on the menu anywhere.

Have you checked out Tomato mart or Super H Mart? There delis are sure to have some onigiri like dish.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Comic posted:

they're on the menu of like most japanese places I can think of. shoya, miso, craft, ru sans even I think? and if they're not on the menu, I'm pretty sure you could order one and anywhere would make you one. sushi rice, a filling, seaweed. every japanese restaurant that serves sushi has these things.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Have you checked out Tomato mart or Super H Mart? There delis are sure to have some onigiri like dish.

mindphlux posted:

they're on the menu of like most japanese places I can think of. shoya, miso, craft, ru sans even I think? and if they're not on the menu, I'm pretty sure you could order one and anywhere would make you one. sushi rice, a filling, seaweed. every japanese restaurant that serves sushi has these things.

I'll forward these to her, thanks!

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Tomato, on 41 in Cobb behind Boomers strip club? No deli, I'm positive. Is there another shop with the name?

Windyblade
Oct 17, 2005

I hope we're still friends after I taser you.
There used to be a larger Tomato attached to Sushi Yoko out on the east side too, not sure if that's still there though.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
oh yeah sushi yoko also

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Both Tomato Groceries are still open. One is off of Windy Hill next to I Love Sushi, and the other is off of Peachtree Industrial in the same building as Sushi Yoko. The old owner sold both places, but to two different new owners.

The one on Peachtree Industrial is owned by the same chef and owner of Sushi Yoko, and now they have a much larger selection of pre-made foods. It reminds me of convenience store bentos back in Japan. Also, the owner used to be what called a yankee in Japan(punk with big hair), and that's his new logo for his version of Tomato. Also, my favorite menu item at Sushi Yoko is a a kimchi pork dish with mayonnaise. I know it sounds so wrong and bad for you, but it's so good. I think it's only on their lunch menu and it's huge amount of food for the price.

The other Tomato at Windy Hill is owned by a Korean family. Their pre-made food is mostly inarizushi, but I think they have onigiri. I think they get it catered from I Love Sushi, but I'm not sure.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Had the non-sandwich version of the fried chicken at Hop's. Much, much, much, much better. My guess is that the sandwiches are put in bags ahead of time and they just steam away the crunch. I ate dinner at Minero and then went to Hop's to pick up a couple pieces to take home and have later. When I got home, I thought I'd just take a bite to see if it was better and I ended up devouring a whole piece standing over my sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Had a burger and some fries at The Porter. Still my favorite place to go for a fancy burger
The Asian buns we got at the beginning of the meal were delicious, perfectly balanced.
Dessert was milk and honey ice cream. I can definitely see what they were on about in the Old Testament about the land of milk and honey being great and all. Cuz it was great