Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I know that Youtube ads I've seen for 2GUNS use it, a little bit of "Two undercover cops... set up...", and it sounds pretty drat cheesy there. I feel like this question is similar to an SA thread in 2020 asking "Why don't they do any of those movie posters anymore where there's thin white lettering over a character's face?" There are just trends that the moviegoing public starts to view as outmoded after a while.

Of course, I can easily see "In a world..." narration becoming a thing in throwback/parody/homage type films. Hell, it probably already is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

CaptainHollywood posted:

Think about it. Those movies were all about INTRODUCING a new character. When the last time you've seen that? In fact who is the last ICONIC character introduced by film?

Uhhhh, Benjamin Franklin Gates?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4bKUv_0_mY

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

National Treasure was awesome. Why didn't we ever get a third one?

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

muscles like this? posted:

Ben Stiller's The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

I loved that trailer, but it's strange that Fox's advertising campaign for it is, so far, identical to their Life of Pi campaign. Barely establish the story, rely on the visual effects (which are, to be fair, incredible) with next to no dialogue. All the while, a popular "inspiring" pop-rock song plays (Coldplay for Pi, Of Monsters And Men for Walter Mitty.)

That being said I cannot wait for Fox to release it online this week because it is so drat purty

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Well it worked for Life of Pi (Basically- it kinda broke even and won a couple of Oscars.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Eh, I'd never heard of the movie before and could get the gist of the plot for it. Which is more than I could say for Life of Pi.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Eh, I'd never heard of the movie before and could get the gist of the plot for it. Which is more than I could say for Life of Pi.

You really couldn't figure out from any of the Life of Pi trailers that the movie was about a dude stranded on a boat with a tiger? It's an extremely simple premise man.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
A while back someone posted "worst trailer song ever" and now I can't find it. I think it was a Lee Van Cleef movie.

I don't even remember which thread it was...

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Is the Secret Life of Watler Mitty trailer available anywhere or is it just a ComiCon thing for now?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

BonoMan posted:

Is the Secret Life of Watler Mitty trailer available anywhere or is it just a ComiCon thing for now?

It's not a ComiCon trailer, it was just attached exclusively to The Wolverine. I imagine if it's not on the internet yet, it'll be up by Tuesday or Wednesday.

And yes, it's a wonderful trailer. This isn't the Ben Stiller who did Tropic Thunder or The Cable Guy, this is the Ben Stiller who did Reality Bites.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Well it worked for Life of Pi (Basically- it kinda broke even and won a couple of Oscars.)

I only recognized it because last year's Life of Pi trailer was my favorite of the year and I thought Fox's marketing campaign on it was top notch. Movie ended up being one of my favorites when I saw it randomly on a Thursday night the first week it was out.

And it broke even in the US but was one of the highest-grossing movies worldwide last year. It did $609 million worldwide, not a bad chunk of change.

CRINDY fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 28, 2013

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

DivisionPost posted:

This isn't the Ben Stiller who did Tropic Thunder or The Cable Guy,

you say, as if these were bad things.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The point he was making is that those movies have workmanlike direction, nothing terrible but nothing fancy either.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

GonSmithe posted:

you say, as if these were bad things.

Oh, please don't misunderstand, those were far from bad things. I was just expecting a similar goofy tone to Stiller's take on Secret Life, only to find a trailer that looks like a halfway-convincing Oscar contender.

Those are words I'm VERY LIKELY eating in a couple of days (or hell, why wait that long? The statement's ridiculous enough), but my point is that it looks a lot more dramatic and visually sophisticated than Stiller's other work, save for Reality Bites.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 28, 2013

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

CRINDY posted:

I only recognized it because last year's Life of Pi trailer was my favorite of the year and I thought Fox's marketing campaign on it was top notch. Movie ended up being one of my favorites when I saw it randomly on a Thursday night the first week it was out.

And it broke even in the US but was one of the highest-grossing movies worldwide last year. It did $609 million worldwide, not a bad chunk of change.

Remember though: This happened http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/r-h-hoping-for-fast-exit-from-bankruptcy-1118066050/

And Ang Lee didn't even thank the special effects team in his Oscar Winning speech.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

CaptainHollywood posted:

Remember though: This happened http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/r-h-hoping-for-fast-exit-from-bankruptcy-1118066050/

And Ang Lee didn't even thank the special effects team in his Oscar Winning speech.

I completely agree that that's bullshit, but that's an issue not limited to Life of Pi. It affects the entire industry to a point. Studios want to keep prices low and quality high, and they don't consider that there are other companies that need to make money in the process.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

CRINDY posted:

I completely agree that that's bullshit, but that's an issue not limited to Life of Pi. It affects the entire industry to a point. Studios want to keep prices low and quality high, and they don't consider that there are other companies that need to make money in the process.

"Hollywood budgeting/accounting" is very bullshit general- that's the real problem. This is more than likely how they budgeted for Life of Pi. They can't pay the special effects team any profits if they never made any in the first place. :ssh:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/09/how-hollywood-accounting-can-make-a-450-million-movie-unprofitable/245134/

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jonny Angel posted:

I know that Youtube ads I've seen for 2GUNS use it, a little bit of "Two undercover cops... set up...", and it sounds pretty drat cheesy there. I feel like this question is similar to an SA thread in 2020 asking "Why don't they do any of those movie posters anymore where there's thin white lettering over a character's face?" There are just trends that the moviegoing public starts to view as outmoded after a while.

Of course, I can easily see "In a world..." narration becoming a thing in throwback/parody/homage type films. Hell, it probably already is.

We still use voice talent all the time and also do ADR, just mostly for TV. A lot of actors are into the idea of ADR now. Jon Hamm did voiceover for an episode of Mad Men and was so good at it he does it for commercials all the time now.

The way they do voice work is different too, the "in a world" thing is gone but there are several spots in each campaign where they use it. For some types of films it's just better to use actual dialogue to create the story rather than someone telling you what the story is. It's more captivating.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I feel like trailer V.O. is quickly being replaced by the full-screen title. Producers like it because because you don't have to pay for a voice actor in every goddamn market, and marketing creatives like it because you can use them to pad the poo poo out of the trailer if the money shots just aren't there.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

kiimo posted:

We still use voice talent all the time and also do ADR, just mostly for TV. A lot of actors are into the idea of ADR now. Jon Hamm did voiceover for an episode of Mad Men and was so good at it he does it for commercials all the time now.

The way they do voice work is different too, the "in a world" thing is gone but there are several spots in each campaign where they use it. For some types of films it's just better to use actual dialogue to create the story rather than someone telling you what the story is. It's more captivating.

I always like the British guy they got for the Harry Potter trailers and TV spots.

"Only in Cinemas this July" rolls off his tongue pretty drat well.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Secret Life of Walter Mitty - Looks fabulous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8TxKJG8q8A

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bows1 posted:

Secret Life of Walter Mitty - Looks fabulous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8TxKJG8q8A

That one is already down, this one should hopefully stay up:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-secret-life-of-walter-mitty,100945/

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...

It doesn't seem like he will dance in this movie. No sale!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Two for you today.

Peter Berg's Lone Survivor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMFLzf-DXXU

And Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MSrAwfagG4

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

That looks really loving good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What the gently caress? There's going to be a whole movie of just the grandpa segments from Jackass? Those were funny in the Jackass movies because they weren't any longer than a minute or two, and they were surrounded by all different kinds of segments. I'm pretty sure that a whole movie of just those will get old very fast.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hard to say what was real or not in that trailer but im down. The Jackass movies are amazing and I almost puked from laughing too hard in the 2nd one. While I am somewhat cautious with 2 hours of old man stuff - it should still be worth a ticket.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Face hurt from laughter after this. I will not miss it. I was ready to roll my eyes when the trailer started but hoo boy this looks great.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

DivisionPost posted:

Two for you today.

This basically looks like a higher budget version of Act of Valor, by which I mean a completely shameless and disgusting piece of propaganda. Absolutely vile- I don't know what it is about Mark Wahlberg, but the handful of really good movies he's done has made me perpetually let down by all the garbage he does.

Our soldiers are so brave :patriot:

edit: To contribute, here's the new David O Russell movie with an absolutely great cast.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/wa...american-hustle

I have to say, the utter lack of expository dialog in this trailer is really refreshing- especially considering all but the penultimate plot point of Silver Linings Playbook was telegraphed in its trailer. It's also refreshing to see Christian Bale don some makeup and a wig for a change. In my wildest dreams this will be a spiritual successor to Boogie Nights, but I'm not holding my breath.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 31, 2013

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Jewmanji posted:

This basically looks like a higher budget version of Act of Valor, by which I mean a completely shameless and disgusting piece of propaganda. Absolutely vile- I don't know what it is about Mark Wahlberg, but the handful of really good movies he's done has made me perpetually let down by all the garbage he does.

This is from the guy that directed The Kingdom. While I have little doubt this errs closer to "OO-RAH" on The Scale, I'm not worried.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Jewmanji posted:

edit: To contribute, here's the new David O Russell movie with an absolutely great cast.

I have to say, the utter lack of expository dialog in this trailer is really refreshing- especially considering all but the penultimate plot point of Silver Linings Playbook was telegraphed in its trailer. It's also refreshing to see Christian Bale don some makeup and a wig for a change. In my wildest dreams this will be a spiritual successor to Boogie Nights, but I'm not holding my breath.

I dunno, Peter Berg won me over with Friday Night Lights... this has a chance

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What the gently caress? There's going to be a whole movie of just the grandpa segments from Jackass? Those were funny in the Jackass movies because they weren't any longer than a minute or two, and they were surrounded by all different kinds of segments. I'm pretty sure that a whole movie of just those will get old very fast.

I was thinking the same thing until I watched the trailer. It looks really funny. More of a Borat style (a bit of a narrative interlaced with pranks) than straight up Jackass style.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Jewmanji posted:

Adding direct link to the trailer. Looks really good. Too bad the trailer isn't HD. Hopefully one will go up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhB6o3Dtwjs

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

DivisionPost posted:

This is from the guy that directed The Kingdom. While I have little doubt this errs closer to "OO-RAH" on The Scale, I'm not worried.

I had heard that The Kingdom was sort of subversive, which is why I was surprised. This is the same guy who did Battleship and Hancock though. The Kingdom seemed really divisive. There were some good reviews, and then stuff like this,

quote:

"New York Post critic Lou Lumenick stated that "Hollywood provides the Islamic world another reason to hate America with The Kingdom," calling it "xenophobic" and "pandering."[17] Lisa Schwarzbaum of Entertainment Weekly accused the film of "treating its audience like cash-dispensing machines".[18] Kenneth Turan of The Los Angeles Times called it "a slick excuse for efficient mayhem that's not half as smart as it would like to be." He added that "the film's thematic similarity to those jingoistic World War II-era 'Yellow Peril' films makes it hard not to feel your humanity being diminished."

It may have been an off-the-cuff remark not meant to be taken seriously, but the screenwriter's summary of the plot, "What would a murder investigation look like on Mars?", seems to tell me everything I need to know about their treatment of "the Other". But I know a lot of goons have said good things about it so maybe I should see it for myself and decide. Also, it could be that the trailer for this new movie was edited to attract that particular audience, but some of that stuff was very very unattractive to me, as a movie-goer. It had an almost fetishistic approach to weaponry, uniforms, and just seemed to depict the esprit de corps that seems positively pre-Vietnam, as far as film language is concerned.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 31, 2013

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

DivisionPost posted:

Two for you today.

Taylor Kitsch with a beard. :psypop: His voice is so damned recognizable as Riggins.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

der juicen posted:

Taylor Kitsch with a beard. :psypop: His voice is so damned recognizable as Riggins.

Peter Berg, please stop putting Taylor Kitsch in movies. I'm pretty sure America has spoken in regards to whether or not they want him to be a movie star.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I like Taylor Kitsch. He is perfectly affable.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Jewmanji posted:

I had heard that The Kingdom was sort of subversive, which is why I was surprised. This is the same guy who did Battleship and Hancock though. The Kingdom seemed really divisive. There were some good reviews, and then stuff like this,

It may have been an off-the-cuff remark not meant to be taken seriously, but the screenwriter's summary of the plot, "What would a murder investigation look like on Mars?", seems to tell me everything I need to know about their treatment of "the Other". But I know a lot of goons have said good things about it so maybe I should see it for myself and decide.

Yeah, definitely see it for yourself. I've never heard that one-liner before, but you may find it more thoughtful and sensitive in execution. It didn't feel like "a murder investigation on Mars," it felt like a politically and emotionally charged procedural with two cultures struggling to understand each other. The ending's pretty pointed, but you certainly can't call it jingoistic.

(Battleship's a different beast. Berg comes from a Navy family so he's pretty much blowing those guys from frame 1, but at the same time, if you pay attention, you'll see that his general anti-war, anti-othering beliefs come through in interesting ways. I don't want to get into it here, but I will say that I don't think it's an accident that "Fortunate Son" -- a protest song often mistaken for a patriotic song -- is playing over the end credits.)

And not for nothing, but while I have some respect for Kenneth Turan, the best thing I can say about Lisa Schwarzbum as a critic is that she's no Lou Lumineck. To be fair, the best thing I can say about Lumineck's criticism is that he's no Gene Shalit, but I wouldn't put too much stock in their opinions.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 1, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Peter Berg, please stop putting Taylor Kitsch in movies. I'm pretty sure America has spoken in regards to whether or not they want him to be a movie star.

I think America has spoken in regards to whether or not they want Peter Berg making movies at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

DivisionPost posted:

Two for you today.

And Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MSrAwfagG4

I loving lost it at the beauty pageant. HOLY poo poo.

• Locked thread