Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The recent mobile game is just a silly tin pin thing, I've played it it's harmless enough. It's got F2P elements, but that's all phone games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

The Phantom Blood game was bad too, despite having a stage where you played as Speedwagon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujx3CJNKzwc&t=160s

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Orgia Carnaval posted:

The recent mobile game is just a silly tin pin thing, I've played it it's harmless enough. It's got F2P elements, but that's all phone games.

I'm prejudice against f2p mobile games but I love me some tin pin so maybe I was wrong :shrug:

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Geez. I thought that was Dire for a sec there.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

darealkooky posted:

I'm prejudice against f2p mobile games but I love me some tin pin so maybe I was wrong :shrug:

Like, the tin pin game doesn't have a loving boss fight where you literally swim in dark lovely lighted waters, don't have access to any of your ripple abilities and are expected to beat him with your poor normal damage doing moves as he is moving quickly underwater with more reach and damage than you can hope to do. I'm willing to forgive Stardust Shooters for quite a bit there.

MelvinBison posted:

Geez. I thought that was Dire for a sec there.

Yeah, the Phantom Blood game looks like complete rear end too, that's what happens when you adapt a 20-year old art style to a PS2 video game and don't try to update the look of it at all. The models are also janky as hell and move awkwardly.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Sekkira posted:

Picturing Araki throwing a tantrum over it.

"You guys ruined Stardust Crusaders in the 90s! You shat on its corpse in the new millenium and now you do this to Phantom Blood!? gently caress YOU GET OUT. Maybe these David Productions guys can do something with it..."

All I know about Araki's personality comes from the little notes he puts in each volume of the manga, but he really doesn't seem like the kind of person who would throw a tantrum about anything.

He does get unreasonably upset about people climbing trees, though.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It is one of my few JoJo regrets that they haven't worked his volume notes in to the anime somehow, just like in some random corner of the ED or something just Araki talking about the films that he likes or that time he saw a weird bug and how his friend once compared him to an anime character he'd never heard of and later he asked about it and he had no idea either. Araki is cool.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Once they do Part 4 they'll work in the artist character's incredibly soft hands into the story.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Well Manicured Man posted:

All I know about Araki's personality comes from the little notes he puts in each volume of the manga, but he really doesn't seem like the kind of person who would throw a tantrum about anything.

He does get unreasonably upset about people climbing trees, though.

Maybe the movie involved climbing all of the trees.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

That just looks silly, in a bad way. Fortunately, it looks like All Star Battle has all the Jojo charm anyone could ever want. Even the Giant Bomb guys loved it in the end (though they cared less for the gameplay).

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

And the theme song they made for it loving rocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1A8LX3ttjw

Look into my evil eyez~

That song is surprisingly catchy, I now want to see a music video starring DIO~ singing and dancing to that.

It would go something like this

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Pimpmust posted:

That song is surprisingly catchy, I now want to see a music video starring DIO~ singing and dancing to that.

It would go something like this

Soul'd Out is pretty great, they did a great ED for that breadbaking anime a while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3QBeRCKnE0

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The music was the one part of the movie that Araki didn't hate. You can tell because he named several characters in part 7 after Soul'd Out songs!

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
He also returned the favor by drawing an album cover for the band. :eng101:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Begemot posted:

The music was the one part of the movie that Araki didn't hate. You can tell because he named several characters in part 7 after Soul'd Out songs!

Bonus double-naming for this song/band.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

jyrque posted:

:eyepop:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I love every weird thing Araki draws

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

jyrque posted:

poo poo, Killer Queen is multiplying!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

frajaq posted:

I would love to see a Hokuto no Ken OVA animated in Araki's style with the level of love David Productions is putting in to Jojo. That would be pretty loving :catdrugs:

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Somehow, Araki's version of Naruto's hair makes even less sense than the original art style.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

frajaq posted:

More of this, please!

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I think that one's just some fanart.

Still owns, though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Who's that supposed to be?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Who's that supposed to be?

Final Fantasy VI. Terra/Tina and Kefka.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB66laScBPU

It was animated by the same studio that did the Stardust Crusaders OVA series, and it shows as they really don't have the Jojo aesthetic down.

There's more to it than that.

The movie had a troubled production due to one of the producers dying and his family pulling out funding from the film. As a result, any problems the film already had got worse as they were forced to rush-job it.

The movie was so bad and horribly panned by critics that Araki himself (who also hated it) made sure it would never see home video release - so the only people who ever saw it were the people in the theater when it premiered.

In spite of this, a version of the film was leaked online with storyboards and unfinished stuff intercut to finished stuff from the film. That's how we have what little existing footage we do have of the terrible movie.

The movie also does not have Speedwagon. Automatic failure.

(I got all this from a 'did you know anime - JJBA' vid that went up a few weeks ago. It's full of spoilers for people who haven't read the manga, so be wary. Here's their youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/didyouknowanimeshow )

Vagithug posted:

Almost as funny as this manga misprint:

What's the story behind that misprint. :psyduck:

An assistant artist/editor being a dumbass? A joke that got accidentally substituted in a published version?

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 13, 2014

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Why even make a Phantom Blood movie? At least with the anime you knew that the second half of the first season was going to be part II.

Were they going to make a series of films adapting all of Jojo for decades like the Berserk movies?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Broseph Brostar posted:

Why even make a Phantom Blood movie? At least with the anime you knew that the second half of the first season was going to be part II.

Were they going to make a series of films adapting all of Jojo for decades like the Berserk movies?

They only made a Part 3 OVA previously, and split into parts that were in reverse chronological order, so I'd say they aren't thinking too much about that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Broseph Brostar posted:

Why are you asking why they wanted to make one? What part of the series would fit better in movie format than Phantom Blood? It's not very long, you can cut some stuff and still get everything you need, and it's not like anyone's going to seriously go "It's not as good as the original" for friggin' Phantom Blood. Unfortunately APPP is not a great studio and due to the problems they had the movie ended up worse than it should've. I mean if you can say anything about APPP at least they got the tone of Phantom Blood down, but Phantom Blood's tone sucks and makes it very unenjoyable to watch, so David doing what they did with Phantom Blood made it a lot of fun.

WickedHate posted:

They only made a Part 3 OVA previously, and split into parts that were in reverse chronological order, so I'd say they aren't thinking too much about that.

I don't even know what the deal with this was, I mean it was made for Japan in 1993 so chances are they just expected everyone there to know what was happening and they wouldn't be wrong. Thankfully the whole set was released in order otherwise it would've been a very strange western release.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Orgia Carnaval posted:

I don't even know what the deal with this was, I mean it was made for Japan in 1993 so chances are they just expected everyone there to know what was happening and they wouldn't be wrong. Thankfully the whole set was released in order otherwise it would've been a very strange western release.

OVAs have always been targeted at the hardcore fans and big spenders, even moreso before the Japanese economy crashed. They figured that with a limited episode count, they'd cover the parts most people wanted to see animated. It's not like they were expecting new fans to be discovering the franchise through the OVAs. The intended audience was people who were already huge Jojo fans and wanted to see the fights in motion.

It's not like a TV show, where you have some percentage of viewers coming in blind just from flipping channels or following a timeslot. Anyone who drops $100+ per episode on an OVA is going to be someone who deliberately sought it out.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Wasn't the original set of OVAs some mail order thing that was available to Shonen Jump subscribers or something?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Why are you asking why they wanted to make one? What part of the series would fit better in movie format than Phantom Blood? It's not very long, you can cut some stuff and still get everything you need, and it's not like anyone's going to seriously go "It's not as good as the original" for friggin' Phantom Blood. Unfortunately APPP is not a great studio and due to the problems they had the movie ended up worse than it should've. I mean if you can say anything about APPP at least they got the tone of Phantom Blood down, but Phantom Blood's tone sucks and makes it very unenjoyable to watch, so David doing what they did with Phantom Blood made it a lot of fun.

It's 100% the amazing voice acting that breathes a ton of fun and gravitas into Phantom Blood, all the VAs totally sell it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Perigryn posted:

Wasn't the original set of OVAs some mail order thing that was available to Shonen Jump subscribers or something?

I believe they came randomly in specially marked boxes of JoJoPuffs.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Second post updated with Captain Tennille and an addition to Avdol's.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Why are you asking why they wanted to make one? What part of the series would fit better in movie format than Phantom Blood? It's not very long, you can cut some stuff and still get everything you need, and it's not like anyone's going to seriously go "It's not as good as the original" for friggin' Phantom Blood.

The story structure of Phantom Blood really lends itself well to being adapted into a movie as well. The series could have really worked just as well if they made a good length movie of Phantom Blood to kick off the story and 17 episodes of Battle Tendancy.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

XboxPants posted:

I believe they came randomly in specially marked boxes of JoJoPuffs.

I thought the entire animation industry in Japan worked like this.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How does television work in Japan, anyway? From what I picked up in manga thread leading up to Stardust Crusaders, it sounds like it's less focused on selling ad-slots with the network finding shows to draw in viewers, and more that studios buy time slots. It sounded like a studios endgoal is to get people to buy the blu-rays, and the TV broadcast itself is an advertisement.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Speaking of Stardust & ad slots, does that show really have two commercial breaks? How rare is that for anime? Is it because of the channel it's on? I don't know if I've ever seen that before Jojo.

KoB
May 1, 2009

XboxPants posted:

Speaking of Stardust & ad slots, does that show really have two commercial breaks? How rare is that for anime? Is it because of the channel it's on? I don't know if I've ever seen that before Jojo.

Most shows have commercials after the OP and in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

KoB posted:

Most shows have commercials after the OP and in the middle.

Huh, never knew that! I always figured they just had the one commercial break. That makes so much more sense.

• Locked thread