Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Been reading through the entire thing again (thanks for the chap. 1 link, gnome7!). It's been a hell of ride.

You know what I really want? For Iida's big brother to not be a pretentious douche. We see it all the time, not just in Asian culture, but sometimes even in Western media. I know that academics is a hugely competitive subject in Japan, but I've grown so tired of the "why can't you be more like your older sibling" trope. I just want Iida's parents to be staunch but supportive and for his brother to have a "normal" relationship with him. I can't help it; he may not be my favorite character, but he's so honest and likable I can't not root for him a little. God forbid he have a loving Uchiha complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I get the feeling that won't be the case, if only because Midoriya and Uraraka's parents were cool and the recent chapters made it a point that Endeavor was a lovely parent. Also, Iida seemed pretty affectionate when he talked about his family. Then again, neither Midoriya nor Uraraka have Top 10 hero pedigrees... crap.

Yeah, I'm with you. Hopefully Iida's not kidding himself and his family's alright.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I wanna see Tsuyu's parents. Wanna see that frog family.

Edit: Kaeru kazoku

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 30, 2015

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Even though it's only been for like three students (four including Iida) out of the class, I love how Academia's been fleshing out each student's relationship with their parents.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Horikoshi seems to be setting most of the primary characters up with distinct motivations towards heroism.

Midoriya wants to live up to the image of All Might.
Bakugou wants to live up to his own image he has built up.
Uraraka's motivations towards heroism has pretty much nothing to do with Iida/Midoriya's heroic ideals or living up to a supposed image she has of herself- she wants to take care of her family.

Todoroki wants to leave his pedigree behind and get out of his dad's shadow.
Iida wants to live up to his and stand with his family.

So basically he seems to be aiming for a lot of dichotomy here.

I dunno if we'll get too far into the motivations of the other students; I'd love to see some more secondary cast get screentime/development but who knows.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

kinmik posted:

Been reading through the entire thing again (thanks for the chap. 1 link, gnome7!). It's been a hell of ride.

You know what I really want? For Iida's big brother to not be a pretentious douche. We see it all the time, not just in Asian culture, but sometimes even in Western media. I know that academics is a hugely competitive subject in Japan, but I've grown so tired of the "why can't you be more like your older sibling" trope. I just want Iida's parents to be staunch but supportive and for his brother to have a "normal" relationship with him. I can't help it; he may not be my favorite character, but he's so honest and likable I can't not root for him a little. God forbid he have a loving Uchiha complex.

This'll stop being a trope when it stops being a thing in real life because kids actually go through this poo poo so when it pops up in a manga they can understand it very well.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fabricated posted:

Horikoshi seems to be setting most of the primary characters up with distinct motivations towards heroism.

Midoriya wants to live up to the image of All Might.
Bakugou wants to live up to his own image he has built up.
Uraraka's motivations towards heroism has pretty much nothing to do with Iida/Midoriya's heroic ideals or living up to a supposed image she has of herself- she wants to take care of her family.

Todoroki wants to leave his pedigree behind and get out of his dad's shadow.
Iida wants to live up to his and stand with his family.

So basically he seems to be aiming for a lot of dichotomy here.

I dunno if we'll get too far into the motivations of the other students; I'd love to see some more secondary cast get screentime/development but who knows.

Navelgun just wants to keep on sparkling like the male lead in a shoujo manga. :allears:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Speaking of Navelgun, I don't think if anybody mentioned it here but the first translation of his power was wrong. If he overuses his laser his stomach won't collapse, he just gets an acute case of the runs.

Yup. :haw:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kyte posted:

Speaking of Navelgun, I don't think if anybody mentioned it here but the first translation of his power was wrong. If he overuses his laser his stomach won't collapse, he just gets an acute case of the runs.

That definitely matches his facial expression when he overuses it.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Kyte posted:

That makes more sense because Deku's quirk actually straight up hurting him seems to be kind of an anomaly.

Even Todoroki's power was only causing him issues because he wasn't using the whole thing.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

That makes more sense because Deku's quirk actually straight up hurting him seems to be kind of an anomaly.

Even Todoroki's power was only causing him issues because he wasn't using the whole thing.

The extent it can harm him seems somewhat unusual but everyone seems to have side effects or some limitations.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

MadHat posted:

The extent it can harm him seems somewhat unusual but everyone seems to have side effects or some limitations.

That's what I meant, yeah.

Like Aizawa isn't going to die from Super DryEye from over use of his powers, and Uraraka isn't going to float into the sky and suffocate; someone's stomach collapsing if they overuse their powers is a little more severe then usual

Repster
Nov 29, 2014
Uraraka's downside is nausea, to the point of vomiting. 's not very healthy, and can cause quite a bit of health issues. Grape boy is one example of another that's harmful, as I hear potentially severe bleeding from your skull can lead to problems. Like dying from blood loss. Electric boogaloo's frying his Brain could very well cause permanent damage as well.

Deku's limitation is more severe and upfront, but that goes for his power as well. Every action and all that.

Have power of 100? Expect feedback of 100 as well.

Torodoki cheats by having most downsides of one of his half being negated by his other half. Endeavor being a Min-Maxer in his child creation and all that. Gotta keep rolling them dice until he gets those 18s.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'm still looking forward to seeing how the remainder of the tournament goes. I hope we get a chapter on Shadow Bird Dude's fight.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Repster posted:

Uraraka's downside is nausea, to the point of vomiting. 's not very healthy, and can cause quite a bit of health issues. Grape boy is one example of another that's harmful, as I hear potentially severe bleeding from your skull can lead to problems. Like dying from blood loss. Electric boogaloo's frying his Brain could very well cause permanent damage as well.

Deku's limitation is more severe and upfront, but that goes for his power as well. Every action and all that.

Have power of 100? Expect feedback of 100 as well.

Torodoki cheats by having most downsides of one of his half being negated by his other half. Endeavor being a Min-Maxer in his child creation and all that. Gotta keep rolling them dice until he gets those 18s.

I guess when you put it that way you have a point.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
In most cases it'd need sustained overuse to leave long-lasting harm. Yes, Bakugou, Electrodude, Icyhot, Grapes, Uraraka and Navelgun's powers all have the potential for self-harm (frostbite or burns in Icyhot's case, just plain old burns for Bakugou), but it's gonna take some good effort to get there. The whole 'quirks are another bodily function' thing applies here: You can create some severe harm to yourself by pushing your body to the limit for a long time (see: every high-performance athlete ever), but it's gonna take months or years.

Meanwhile Deku's quirk can leave long-lasting harm within the span of a few minutes.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 30, 2015

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Kyte posted:

In most cases it'd need sustained overuse to leave long-lasting harm. Yes, Bakugou, Electrodude, Icyhot, Grapes, Uraraka and Navelgun's powers all have the potential for self-harm (frostbite or burns in Icyhot's case, just plain old burns for Bakugou), but it's gonna take some good effort to get there. The whole 'quirks are another bodily function' thing applies here: You can create some severe harm to yourself by pushing your body to the limit for a long time (see: every high-performance athlete ever), but it's gonna take months or years.

Meanwhile Deku's quirk can leave long-lasting harm within the span of a few minutes.

A testament to the raw power of OfA.

I wonder if we'll see much more of the tournament, or whether we'll see interactions with Noumu(sp?) and/or Man-Child.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I wanna see Tsuyu's parents. Wanna see that frog family.

Edit: Kaeru kazoku

So, Quirks show up around age 4, but what about mutant-shapes like Tsuyu? Do they just gradually transform, or is it more "Ma'am, I'm sorry, but it seems you have given birth to a frog"?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Terper posted:

So, Quirks show up around age 4, but what about mutant-shapes like Tsuyu? Do they just gradually transform, or is it more "Ma'am, I'm sorry, but it seems you have given birth to a frog"?

Hm. Well, the coming of quirks was heralded by the birth of a glowing baby, so, perhaps age four is just the usual/latest they show up. I think something to that effect was stated, that they are expected to manifest by four years old.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Terper posted:

She has the benefits of frog metamorphosis, so alongside terrible twos she probably lost her gills and tail and started flicking stuff with her tongue :allears:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

More thoughts:
The thing that stuck with me for several chapters after All Might transferred his power to Deku was...that his hair was "surprisingly sour". :gonk:

I want a Kamui Pez dispenser. :3: All Might might have had one too, but it was discontinued after numerous complaints of consumers getting their thumbs punctured by his hair.

I want to know what Principal Bearmousedog's quirk is. Besides being a bearmousedog.

e: Also I just realized that we can see No. 13's eyes on his helmet; I thought it was just glare. He just became a little more adorable. :D

kinmik fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 1, 2015

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

kinmik posted:

More thoughts:
The thing that stuck with me for several chapters after All Might transferred his power to Deku was...that his hair was "surprisingly sour". :gonk:

You think All Might doesn't use product? His hair's got those bangs even when he's in zombie form.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I wonder if transferring OfA has to be willing or can it be unwilling.

Like if someone bites Deku and accidentally gets some of his blood in their mouth and swallows it, will they steal his OfA? I don't remember if that was mentioned

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Stallion Cabana posted:

Like if someone bites Deku and accidentally gets some of his blood in their mouth and swallows it, will they steal his OfA? I don't remember if that was mentioned

It's been brought up once or twice in this thread but the general consensus is that would be a pretty terrible caveat and it would make no sense for All Might to not have told him that at some point so the speculation never really goes very far.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Stallion Cabana posted:

Not directly, no, but it's been repeatedly implied there's way more going on with One For All than All Might is letting on. Immediately following the hair scene I thought "Wait, so, what about All Might's barber?" so I'd like to think Kohei might've had the same thought process and has an answer in the wings.

Alternatively, it may be one of those things you're just not supposed to think about too much.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

TriffTshngo posted:

It's been brought up once or twice in this thread but the general consensus is that would be a pretty terrible caveat and it would make no sense for All Might to not have told him that at some point so the speculation never really goes very far.

Fair enough; I never read the entire thread because 51 pages is kind of a lot so sorry for repeating the topic

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Given how great the manga's been so far and that it's supposed to be a pastiche of western superhero things, I think I'm willing to forgive a plot hole here and there. Plot holes are a time-honored tradition in western superhero comics, after all.

http://imgur.com/a/yEjCv

(It's the pointed look at the reader that does it.)

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Stallion Cabana posted:

It pretty obviously has to be willing. When he introduces One For All, he calls it "the power to transfer power", which is a pretty big sign, to me, that the power can't just be taken, it needs to be given.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Deku's closest friends?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Incidentally, I wonder if Mineta's power came before or after his character design? He strikes me as the sort of character that the author might have doodled just for fun, and then wondered "Huh, I wonder what power this guy could have? Oh maybe it has something to do with his funny afro?!"

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Stallion Cabana posted:

I've got doujins with this in mind
Won't work, has to be given, though it would be funny if since Deku has poo poo all control over it, someone licks him and he loses it in shock.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Tsuyu's...kind of licked him? In a manner of speaking. :v:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Sorry for double posting, but I found another Bakugou+Uraraka "love to hate" fanart. Sorry not sorry for the slapdash translation job done in Paint

What Bakugou said in the last panel is actually an idiom like "Security is the worst enemy" or something.

kinmik fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 7, 2015

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I want an alternate ending with Bakugou floating away, cursing up a storm.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm just wondering what's up with this thread's obsession with shipping.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well i, for one, am a huge proponent of bakugou <3< uraraka,

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

It's not shipping, it's frienemies.

Also, I did this using Kinmik's translation as a base. Tell me if I took too many liberties. Also what's a good public domain substitute font for Wildwords? Because the one place I could get it without paying like $75 looked sketchy and ready to fill my computer with every type of malware.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Son, if you wanna see obsessive shipping I reckon you should take a gander at the Steven Universe thread. That there is something to make yer eyeballs asplode.

In only a slightly more serious vein, some people just enjoy peeking a bit more into the subtext, sometimes they only see what they want to, sometimes they completely fabricate a romantic relationship out of what would otherwise not be one in the canon because it's good fun (sometimes not). Point is, people like different things from you and that is okay.

Level Slide, you are good people.

\/\/\/That's really cool but... Huh, what's that all the way at the bottom?

quote:

Links: Planet Typography - On snot and fonts
:confused:

kinmik fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 7, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A common font for this kinda thing is Anime Ace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

kinmik posted:

Son, if you wanna see obsessive shipping I reckon you should take a gander at the Steven Universe thread. That there is something to make yer eyeballs asplode.

In only a slightly more serious vein, some people just enjoy peeking a bit more into the subtext, sometimes they only see what they want to, sometimes they completely fabricate a romantic relationship out of what would otherwise not be one in the canon because it's good fun (sometimes not). Point is, people like different things from you and that is okay.

Level Slide, you are good people.

I've already been there and sparked a 3 page argument about why I think Steven is a poo poo.

Waffleman_ posted:

A common font for this kinda thing is Anime Ace.

I always wonder how the hell Anime Ace exists when it's basically a free version of Wild Words.