Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Gorilla Salad posted:

The schadenfreude gets a hell of a lot worse in this case. The company who owned the mine knew asbestos was dangerous and did nothing to protect their workers. This left a couple of thousand people with an untreatable and totally lethal form of cancer called mesothelioma.

Naturally they formed a class action for compensation. Australia has free health care, but these men also wanted money so their families wouldn't be destitute after they died. The company fought. Of course they did, wouldn't want to ruin the profit margins after all.

Now, here's where things get a special kind of evil. One member of the company's legal team decided they would use a very simple and utterly amoral strategy - delay. She did everything in her power to tie proceedings up in bullshit until a lot of the men had died and were no longer eligible for compensation.

The woman who headed the strategy was Julie Bishop.

Who?

Julie Bishop, deputy leader of Australia's current party in government, the LNP, their only female minister, and our minister for foreign affairs.

you act like youre surprised that in a hierarchical system the biggest sociopaths rise to power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

TheStampede posted:

Actually, I think you can see he leads with his knee. It's been a bit since I've seen the video, though.

He definitely leads with his knee, and it's surprisingly easy to break glass that way. Happened to me once when I was drunk in a bar, barely felt it. I just stood there looking at it wondering how that happened while one of the bouncers was livid thinking I kicked the glass in on purpose and the other was holding him back laughing his rear end off saying he'd never seen glass shatter that easily.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Story time! I worked at Halloween Horror Nights Orlando at Universal Studios in 2012 and 2013. In 2012, one of my alternate cast guys in my horde decided to scare some people in the Richter Burger by slapping on the window.

Unfortunately, my cast was almost exclusively 6'5 to 6'7 and included more than one military veteran. He loving shattered the window by slapping it as hard as he could.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
I bet it was pretty spooky.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cheez posted:

I bet it was pretty spooky.

Would have scared the crap out of me. So mission accomplished.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

flosofl posted:

Would have scared the crap out of me. So mission accomplished.

I'm honestly surprised we had as little property damage as we did. We loved climbing on poo poo.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm honestly surprised we had as little property damage as we did. We loved climbing on poo poo.

I bet it was pretty stinky.

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

A related video on that first one has an angle from another car:

http://youtu.be/-4iw3v-uM4E

????

(This is from the discussion about a Trans Asia plane clipping a bridge as it went down back on page 13)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I think this is some sort of festival for lunatics, or something.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Say Nothing posted:

Can anyone reverse this gif? It would be the jauntiest hammer smash ever.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Canemacar posted:

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

asbestos and mesothelioma settlements are the highest paid ad terms,on google. If you google one of those right now and click on the first sponsored link, that law firm is charged $40

is this true? 40 bucks holy poo poo

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

theflyingexecutive posted:

asbestos and mesothelioma settlements are the highest paid ad terms,on google. If you google one of those right now and click on the first sponsored link, that law firm is charged $40

I just googled and clicked like 15 ads.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

I just googled and clicked like 15 ads.

congratulations, you just cost those lawyers gently caress all from the money they're skimming off dead people's payouts

:smith:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

will180 posted:

is this true? 40 bucks holy poo poo

yep. also the irs settlement ppl pay hellabucks for clicks too

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Canemacar posted:

It's ok! there was a problem, but my magic hammer fixed it.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Say Nothing posted:

http://event-carnival.com/mexico/mexican-bomb-hammer

Mexican Bomb Hammer Party

The Mexicans know how to party it seems

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Cheez posted:

Fix-it-Felix.Gif

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

freelop posted:

http://event-carnival.com/mexico/mexican-bomb-hammer

Mexican Bomb Hammer Party

The Mexicans know how to party it seems
I imagine this started off with someone saying "So no one has a lighter? gently caress it, I have a sledge hammer and a piece of metal"

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Cheez posted:

Beautiful.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Taeke posted:

He definitely leads with his knee, and it's surprisingly easy to break glass that way. Happened to me once when I was drunk in a bar, barely felt it. I just stood there looking at it wondering how that happened while one of the bouncers was livid thinking I kicked the glass in on purpose and the other was holding him back laughing his rear end off saying he'd never seen glass shatter that easily.

It's like the Zapruder film for plate glass enthusiasts.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Zeno-25 posted:

What's crazy is that American freight trains make European freight trains look like short-line babies pulled by switching engines.

https://youtu.be/KaUM0opLHA0?t=1m55s
Note how the engineer gets out, takes a look, shakes his head, and walks away.

When I was a kid in northern MN, the DM&IR would come to speak in Drivers Ed.

Stop, look, listen.

Tell everyone in your car to stop talking, turn down the radio, roll down the windows on both sides if you can, look both ways, listen for the horn, then proceed. It was drilled into us as the region didn't have many stop arms back then and there were many blind crossings. Every year, a carload of teenagers would get killed. You can't play chicken with a freight train.

It's a train, just wait.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Train crossings are basically evidence to me that right wingers are wrong about people being smart enough to make their own choices and don't need government help.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Drone_Fragger posted:

Train crossings are basically evidence to me that right wingers are wrong about people being smart enough to make their own choices and don't need government help.

Cleanin' out the gene pool

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

mostlygray posted:

When I was a kid in northern MN, the DM&IR would come to speak in Drivers Ed.

Stop, look, listen.

Tell everyone in your car to stop talking, turn down the radio, roll down the windows on both sides if you can, look both ways, listen for the horn, then proceed. It was drilled into us as the region didn't have many stop arms back then and there were many blind crossings. Every year, a carload of teenagers would get killed. You can't play chicken with a freight train.

It's a train, just wait.

Turn around, don't drown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp2ChlOFYBw

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Your move water. :colbert:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
:stonk:

http://www.propublica.org/article/hummus-maker-warned-of-extreme-safety-risk-before-temp-workers-death

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Islam truly is the light

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Allahu Ackboom!

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

I just finished eating some hummus and pita. The remnants are still sitting next to me. I am not enjoying the juxtaposition of this story and my food. That description of the screws eating the guy... ugh.

"The fines are often less than the cost of safety improvements, so companies just murder employees and no one does anything about it. So sad."

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

When I first join my current company that is in a related food field it didn't have LOTO period. Let that loving sink in for a minute. The company has been in business for 75 years with hundreds of employees and didn't have any lock out tag out program.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

G-Mach posted:

When I first join my current company that is in a related food field it didn't have LOTO period. Let that loving sink in for a minute. The company has been in business for 75 years with hundreds of employees and didn't have any lock out tag out program.
The 75 year history is kind of misleading. Even as late as the 80s and 90s looks like lawless anarchy compared to today even from a compulsory standpoint. On top of the formative rules of what we think of as modern workplace rules coming into effect relatively late into the 80s, hitting the letter of the regulations by 2010 is a relatively progressive pace because audits didn't start bearing their teeth until the 00s.

E. To make sure we're on the same page it was a separate problem of fines not registering on a scale to make things happen, we are talking the auditors saying "oh you rascals. You're working on a loto procedure right?" and taking yes for an answer for a decade straight.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 22, 2015

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Talk about getting screwed.:c00lbutt:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Did no one notice this???

"Edmund Fitzgerald, a spokesman for OSHA"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Centripetal Horse posted:

I just finished eating some hummus and pita. The remnants are still sitting next to me. I am not enjoying the juxtaposition of this story and my food. That description of the screws eating the guy... ugh.

"The fines are often less than the cost of safety improvements, so companies just murder employees and no one does anything about it. So sad."

It should be loving mandatory that if a company kills an employee they cannot open their doors again until the issue is resolved.

And huge fines.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gorilla Salad posted:

It should be loving mandatory that if a company kills an employee they cannot open their doors again until the issue is resolved.

"The issue is that the deceased who can't speak for himself made a bad choice, and now that he's dead the issue is technically resolved. Game on!"

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
Related story, Fermentation tank where yeast goes to chew on sugars for bread and fart out co2 gets a hole in it. Tightly enclosed space that a person needed to get in to weld.

No points for guessing that the acting manager told some guy to hop in the low oxygen environment to do welding or he was fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Tosses Tribe Garlic Hummus in the trash. Well, gently caress. I hope I didn't eat Soylent Green.

• Locked thread