Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

thechalkoutline posted:

Disrupting decades of tradition by going from a flat 6 to a turbo'd flat 4 like a fuckin poor is a significant departure any way you look at it

tl;dr yes

But don't the turbo 4's make a fair bit more power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

willie_dee posted:

So does a ford mustang but you won't see my $1,500 designer jeans sitting in one.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The biggest real knock against the 4 is that flat sixes sound great and the 4 does not sound good at all.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

willie_dee posted:

Yes they do, oodles more torque.

Wrar posted:

The biggest real knock against the 4 is that flat sixes sound great and the 4 does not sound good at all.

But this is more important.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
It's really dumb I know, but I just cannot get over a $60,000 (80 for the GTS) car with a 4 banger, just seems strange but hey if it drives right who cares.

I heard a 718 the other day in Manhattan and it sounded EXACTLY like a fartcan modded up WRX, was very odd.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I wonder if it will blow up like the Subarus all do

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8eFsuHdjv0

Just yuck man. I will never not hate that upshift fart.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dave Inc. posted:

Just yuck man. I will never not hate that upshift fart.

Me, clicking on the video:

"What's wrong with a bit of noise during an up... nope that is a full on fart."

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I’m going to look at this tomorrow. I’m new to Porsche’s. How does this look?

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/ctd/d/1999-porsche-911-carrera-6/6607788443.html

Little curious as to wtf is going on with the intake here:

Is that strap factory?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Definitely not. That's some sort of bizarro hack job intake.

E: Also, the rear spoiler wall looks badly ripped and I think the tailpipes seem low, probably needs motor mounts. Those are both easy fixes but might reflect the lack of care the owner has.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 9, 2018

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Why are Boxsters holding their value so much better than other cars when on paper they are so similar.

2007 Z4M is worth about £13k, a 2010 Boxster S is asking £25k!

I get that the recession happened in between and good sports cars stopped selling new so the market doesn't exist like it should, but it's really annoying because I want a decent handling car with a good auto box and they don't make them.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

willie_dee posted:

Why are Boxsters holding their value so much better than other cars when on paper they are so similar.

2007 Z4M is worth about £13k, a 2010 Boxster S is asking £25k!

I get that the recession happened in between and good sports cars stopped selling new so the market doesn't exist like it should, but it's really annoying because I want a decent handling car with a good auto box and they don't make them.

Buy a $3,000 1997 boxster and forget the rest.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

Buy a $3,000 1997 boxster and forget the rest.

The only reason I want to change is to get the PDK box, I've even been looking at TT RS's but the mk2 are a bit wank to drive apparently and that's the 2010/in budget model.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

Definitely not. That's some sort of bizarro hack job intake.

E: Also, the rear spoiler wall looks badly ripped and I think the tailpipes seem low, probably needs motor mounts. Those are both easy fixes but might reflect the lack of care the owner has.

To be fair almost all the 996 intakes are hackjobs using increasingly expensive materials and are bad. That car has been for sale for over a year and probably has something very bad wrong with it since on paper it should be a great high mileage car for that price. It's also possible that it's ok and has a couple minor things that scare people away but I'd for sure have Steinels or someone else good check it out first. If it has anything really significant wrong you could easily hit 2-3k in repairs to bring it into solid condition and at that point you're into sorted, well documented car prices. If you check it out post about it because I've been wondering about that since it first listed since I had just bought my beaten up C2 and kind of wished I bought that one instead.

In related news, someone is buying my 968 finally so I'll be down to just the 996TT next week. I'm going to miss that one but :homebrew:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jymmybob posted:

To be fair almost all the 996 intakes are hackjobs using increasingly expensive materials and are bad. That car has been for sale for over a year and probably has something very bad wrong with it since on paper it should be a great high mileage car for that price. It's also possible that it's ok and has a couple minor things that scare people away but I'd for sure have Steinels or someone else good check it out first. If it has anything really significant wrong you could easily hit 2-3k in repairs to bring it into solid condition and at that point you're into sorted, well documented car prices. If you check it out post about it because I've been wondering about that since it first listed since I had just bought my beaten up C2 and kind of wished I bought that one instead.

In related news, someone is buying my 968 finally so I'll be down to just the 996TT next week. I'm going to miss that one but :homebrew:

Interesting that it’s been listed for a year considering the current owner first titled it in OH last July.

It was first sold in FL, sold in AL a year later, again at auction a year later and registered in NY, a year after that it gets titled in CA and that owner had it from 2005 until 2017 when Ohio dude titled it in July.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Jealous Cow posted:

Interesting that it’s been listed for a year considering the current owner first titled it in OH last July.

It was first sold in FL, sold in AL a year later, again at auction a year later and registered in NY, a year after that it gets titled in CA and that owner had it from 2005 until 2017 when Ohio dude titled it in July.

The current owner is a small dealer/flipper. He had a couple early 996s for sale over the past year or so but that's the only one that stayed around.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jymmybob posted:

The current owner is a small dealer/flipper. He had a couple early 996s for sale over the past year or so but that's the only one that stayed around.

I just realized he's a dealer when I googled his phone number. The text and images in his craigslist ad really imply it's his private car. This feels really scammy...

edit:

The listing has been up since at least April of 2017:

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 9, 2018

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

willie_dee posted:

The only reason I want to change is to get the PDK box, I've even been looking at TT RS's but the mk2 are a bit wank to drive apparently and that's the 2010/in budget model.

Yeah I noticed those are expensive, probably better off with a 911.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Trip report on that 1999 996.

First off, here’s the listing for it from the dealer he bought it from in CA. He didn’t buy it from “a California PCA member”

http://www.autoquid.com/car-detail/911/1999-Porsche-911-1999-Porsche-911-Carrera-153225_262798011819.html

Second, he won’t allow a PPI. Nor is he flexible on price.

Third, upon startup it rattled like crazy. When it tried to settle down to the normal idle RPM it stumbled a bit. The check engine light is on.

It was burning a decent amount of oil. There are collapsed cardboard boxes behind it to protect the bumper from the cinder block walls, and they are pretty sooty. I held my hand in the exhaust and it wasn’t so dirty that my hand immediately got sooty, but I could see a slight blue haze and smell burning oil.

The body is fine if you’re just looking for a fun weekend car. Dings here and there. Interior is in good shape. The rubber seals along the Frunk and doors looked new, and there were no missing panels in the frunk.

He’s looking for someone with 15k to blow who just sees “cheap Porsche!”

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Rattles with a cold m96 is not unusual, but sounds like a pass either way.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Went to see the old man this weekend, AKA the man that hates coolant.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

ColHannibal posted:

Went to see the old man this weekend, AKA the man that hates coolant.

UMMMM gonna need better pics of this if im gonna jerk off tia

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
There’s a 914 on BAT at $60k.

Not 20 years ago there were people trying to get rid of their 914s for next to nothing. I know a guy who bought two for $1k bear Seattle.

What the gently caress.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

thechalkoutline posted:

UMMMM gonna need better pics of this if im gonna jerk off tia

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

the saddest porsche

orange county is trash

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Harry and the hundersons

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

guidoanselmi posted:

the saddest porsche

orange county is trash

I had to look that up, and well, it's something! I had no idea some company was making those.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

guidoanselmi posted:

orange county is trash

qft

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

Harry and the hundersons

:vince:

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Bought a poverty Porsche this morning.

Countdown until detonation.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sup narrowbody bud :hf:

Give us the lowdown and pics. Don't think I've seen a blue like that before. I like it.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Sup!

2000 Carrera. Zenith Blue Metallic. Looks kinda purple sometimes, depending on the light. It's a very late 90s color. 43k miles. I'm now the second owner. Has lived in the San Francisco Bay Area its entire life.

Pretty much base model as far as options go.

Don't worry, I was able to clean the white wax residue around the Carrera badge off with a soft toothbrush and a little soap.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Yeah nice blue, hope you enjoy the drive! P car talk: are those center caps on the wheels silver or colored?

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Dang, that is dope

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

thechalkoutline posted:

Yeah nice blue, hope you enjoy the drive! P car talk: are those center caps on the wheels silver or colored?

Definitely look silver to me.

Looks very nice and well maintained. Any interior shots, did it come with service records?

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

I love colored center caps is all, the contrast really freshens up silver wheels

+1 I'd like some shots of the interior

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah and the option sticker under frunk

Nice miles for an 00. Not stupid low either, so at least it was driven a bit.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Bajaha posted:

Definitely look silver to me.

Looks very nice and well maintained. Any interior shots, did it come with service records?

Thanks! Yeah, silver. And full service records.

I'll see about taking some decent interior photos. Has a four spoke steering wheel, which is on my long list of things to change at some point. Really prefer the way the three spoke looks.

Might also do a console delete and swap back to factory head unit w/ bluetooth adaptor.

Don't think I'll be using the tape cassette holders...

Got aluminum gauge trim coming to give it a bit more contrast. https://www.ebay.com/itm/222388889168?ul_noapp=true

Will check options. As far as I can tell, it's pretty bare bones.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
How do you like the shifting? I really wasn't loving my 996 until I put in a B&M short shifter and modded the exhaust. The stock exhaust is way too quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Shifting is fine. Not as good as the Miata NC I had. Or the C5 Z06 w/ MGW shifter. Way better than stock C5 Z06 though.

Yeah, exhaust is boring. I test drove a 996 /w Fabspeed Maxflo exhaust and it was fantastic. Think I'm going to go with the Fister muffler partial bypass. That's on the short list of things to do.