Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Silver2195 posted:

Apparently Re:Zero is really popular pretty much everywhere: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2016/12/29-1/feature-crunchyrolls-most-popular-anime-of-2016-by-country

Also, apparently the Jojo anime thread hates Re:Zero for some reason.

Because Re:Zero managed to out-normie Jojo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is "normie" now the accepted translation for "reajuu" or whatever?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

Is "normie" now the accepted translation for "reajuu" or whatever?

it's either that or normal___s so I'll take it over 4chans casual slurring

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Re:Zero is good, that's my opinion.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Rem and Shinobu are basically the same character. They're both paper thin waifs with no input once they lose relevance whose sole purpose after that is to pine over the person they love, a person who they don't actually know very well at all despite thinking otherwise, so it's a wash. Araki just didn't make a good 10 episodes worth of content about Shinobu.

Did you watch the final few seconds of the season?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
"normie" was useful when it described people who hadn't seen anything but stuff on cartoon network five years ago but it's kinda played out now

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"normie" as used in anime refers to people who actually interact with the real, normal world on a somewhat regular basis.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Which one is Shinobu again?

I feel like at least Rem manages to have consistent agency while also generally hasn't required much in the way of rescuing by powerless Subaru; while RemiliaEmilia (Wrong franchise!) is at least an extremely engaging take about creepy Nice Guyisms and thinking generally you know better and speaking for someone else who has their own agency and desires.

Right now there aren't harem aspects beyond some faint idea that is Subaru pushed the right buttons and raised the right flags maybe he can get Duke girl to fall for him but none of the other characters have shown any indication of falling for him aside from his Dragon mount.

It takes a *long* and well paced amount of time before Subaru actually earns himself the right to call himself a hero in an adventure high fantasy story and took glee in ruining his loving day each day he didn't and all the times he appeared to have success were really all kinds of illusory in nature because each step forward just increases the chances of dying horribly.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Did you watch the final few seconds of the season?

Oh poo poo a few seconds of a 24 episode show changes everything about its overall quality.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Rem and Shinobu are basically the same character. They're both paper thin waifs with no input once they lose relevance whose sole purpose after that is to pine over the person they love, a person who they don't actually know very well at all despite thinking otherwise, so it's a wash. Araki just didn't make a good 10 episodes worth of content about Shinobu.

Who the gently caress is this Rem? I dont know shinobu either
I think you have gotten the wrong show here

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Oh poo poo a few seconds of a 24 episode show changes everything about its overall quality.

I liked Re:Zero, but I tend to agree with you on your overall point. That said, the presence or absence of a few seconds (say, a kiss scene or a love confession) seems to play heavily in the impressions of many people here with regard to many shows. If a show can be ruined for the absence of a 3 second kiss, does the presence of said 3 second kiss not thereby save the show?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

No, because no one thing is ever defined by a single moment. It would be ruined by the writing as a whole throughout the show which would allow or disallow such a thing from happening. It'd be symptomatic throughout the whole thing rather than just a small snippet of time.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

Right now there aren't harem aspects beyond some faint idea that is Subaru pushed the right buttons and raised the right flags maybe he can get Duke girl to fall for him but none of the other characters have shown any indication of falling for him aside from his Dragon mount.

Eh, it's pretty clear that at the very least Rem and Emilia are romantically interested in him. Which doesn't bother me too much in and of itself, though I really dislike Rem's whole "it's okay if you love someone else as long as you let me keep loving you thing" thing. If you're going to have a character be romantically interested in the protagonist, at least have them be somewhat realistic about it and either get upset or move on if they choose someone else. I understand the point of this trope (so the protagonist, who is an audience surrogate to some extent, can continue to enjoy the ego boost of having multiple girls interested in them), but it still kinda sucks.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

The last few seconds (plus some stuff people said ITT about the upcoming volumes) make it seem like Rem, even if she's not there, will play a decent role in influencing Subaru for quite some time, so I don't think it's fair to just write her off completely like that, even though...

Ytlaya posted:

Eh, it's pretty clear that at the very least Rem and Emilia are romantically interested in him. Which doesn't bother me too much in and of itself, though I really dislike Rem's whole "it's okay if you love someone else as long as you let me keep loving you thing" thing. If you're going to have a character be romantically interested in the protagonist, at least have them be somewhat realistic about it and either get upset or move on if they choose someone else. I understand the point of this trope (so the protagonist, who is an audience surrogate to some extent, can continue to enjoy the ego boost of having multiple girls interested in them), but it still kinda sucks.
I do agree with the assessments that this trope is a bit played-out and there would be better uses for the character.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dark Off posted:

Who the gently caress is this Rem? I dont know shinobu either
I think you have gotten the wrong show here

Her name is Lemu, and she has a sister named Lamu.

Fake edit: Yes, I get your joke.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ytlaya posted:

Two people interesting in the protagonist I don't think really makes it meaningfully a harem title; insofar as the associated negative aspects of the genre matter.

Here Subaru is pretty single mindedly interested in Emilia, he acknowledges Rem, and Rem has had a chance to make her feelings known, etc, this is like, completely anemtha to the "Will they or won't they?" to the premise of most harem schlock.

Basically the characters act in much more plausibly human ways.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Ytlaya posted:

But... Rem both got upset at being rejected, which was a super clear rejection, and despite saying she'd accept his decision gracefully, she's still pinning for Subaru. She's still pinning really hard for him.

Rem's the type that's extremely devoted to the people she loves (those at the Roswaal mansion), so stuff like that thing with becoming a second wife is her way of coping with the situation: "It'd be wrong if Rem got between Subaru-kun and Emilia-sama... but if they both agreed to Rem being his mistress, then it'd be okay, yes?" because she so desperately wants to get something out of her relationship with Subaru.

The way she manipulated a confession out of him after the White Whale battle was really dirty, too. Rem isn't just some waif who innocently wishes for her beloved to be happy: she's an obsessive person with self-worth issues among many others, so she's going for it in an unorthodox way, but she's loving doing it.

Or was, at least.

tl;dr at a glance it seems a cute and harmless way to solve the love triangle, but no, it's just another example of how obsessive Rem is

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Conspiratiorist posted:

But... Rem both got upset at being rejected, which was a super clear rejection, and despite saying she'd accept his decision gracefully, she's still pinning for Subaru. She's still pinning really hard for him.

Rem's the type that's extremely devoted to the people she loves (those at the Roswaal mansion), so stuff like that thing with becoming a second wife is her way of coping with the situation: "It'd be wrong if Rem got between Subaru-kun and Emilia-sama... but if they both agreed to Rem being his mistress, then it'd be okay, yes?" because she so desperately wants to get something out of her relationship with Subaru.

The way she manipulated a confession out of him after the White Whale battle was really dirty, too. Rem isn't just some waif who innocently wishes for her beloved to be happy: she's an obsessive person with self-worth issues among many others, so she's going for it in an unorthodox way, but she's loving doing it.

Or was, at least.

tl;dr at a glance it seems a cute and harmless way to solve the love triangle, but no, it's just another example of how obsessive Rem is

Awww man. I would've loved this. I love flawed characters.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who is Rem?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

This could be taken in a very interesting direction (having Rem's self-worth issues and the fact that is so emotionally dependent upon Subaru end up being a negative thing later), though it's hard to say if that's actually going to happen yet (especially given what happened at the end of this season).

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I remembered Doctor Tot, you can't make me forget Rem :colbert:

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's kind of an interesting mirror to how Subaru was with Emilia too, what with how obsessively he was attempting to pursue her interests.

I'm betting that one of the minor motif's for Re:Zero as a whole is how messed up Love can be, because that analysis immediately reminded me of Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer. Where Love not only fuels the cosmos but also drives people to break oaths, commit atrocious deeds and suffer for them.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't know myself since I'm only following the Anime, but didn't someone who reads the novels point out that the Anime cut a part where Subaru outright points out how obsessed Rem is with him and how unhealthy it is?

While not realising that he's just as bad with Emilia, of course.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't know myself since I'm only following the Anime, but didn't someone who reads the novels point out that the Anime cut a part where Subaru outright points out how obsessed Rem is with him and how unhealthy it is?

That happened, yeah.

Anime Rem is kinda toned down in general, TBH. There's no mistaking Book Rem for a healthy person who isn't weirdly obsessive and stalkerish at all.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Silver2195 posted:

Also, apparently the Jojo anime thread hates Re:Zero for some reason.
Maybe its the lovely characters

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That's rude to say about Jojo posters

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

a kitten posted:

That's rude to say about Jojo posters

:drat:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Jackard posted:

Maybe its the lovely characters

drat, dude. Don't need to be so rude. They aren't lovely. They're just kind of stupid all the time, but it's part of the charm.

Like how Subaru fucks everything up around him and it's by virtue of having time reset that he can even attempt to make things work, but even then, his dipstick nature still ruins his checkpoints.

I mean, no one's perfect.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Reminder that Rem killed Subaru, behind everyone's backs, because she found him suspicious and couldn't stand that nobody was doing anything about him. Twice.

Blaze Dragon posted:

He notices her shift in attitude, and figures that she must've filled in with him whatever hole was left in her from letting go of the burden of replacing the "ideal" Ram. He doesn't think it's healthy, but also figures she'll grow out of it with time and that it's more important she gets to relax and be herself.

Little did he know...

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Conspiratiorist posted:

Reminder that Rem killed Subaru, behind everyone's backs, because she found him suspicious and couldn't stand that nobody was doing anything about him. Twice.

That's a take I didn't see before. :stare:

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

That's a take I didn't see before. :stare:

There's another take?

Maybe she chased him down and slaughtered him on accident.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

The Unholy Ghost posted:

There's another take?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiTNrSCH97k ?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Unholy Ghost posted:

There's another take?

Doing it without orders. I assumed Roswald at least gave general "do my dirty business if you think it pressing."

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It was behind the backs of both emilia and ram though, and I don't remember it being implied that roswall wanted subaru dead (though I did get the impression that if subaru turned up dead due to flail-inflicted trauma, roswall would have said "OK I trust your judgement rem")

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The main reason she found Subaru suspicious was because he smelled of the witch. And, to be fair, smelling of the witch is probably generally a pretty accurate predictor of "is a bad guy", with Subaru just being an outlier.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

The main reason she found Subaru suspicious was because he smelled of the witch. And, to be fair, smelling of the witch is probably generally a pretty accurate predictor of "is a bad guy", with Subaru just being an outlier.

Considering the witches cult detect it and assume he is an archbishop probably a good line of thought.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

wjs5 posted:

Considering the witches cult detect it and assume he is an archbishop probably a good line of thought.

Yeah, and in addition I think that she (and I guess Ram also?) I think are the only ones in the mansion who can smell the witch's scent, so she probably felt like "this guy is bad news and no one else notices because they can't smell his scent." Granted, I'm not sure why her first response wouldn't be to just tell Roswaal (or did she? I can't remember). Though I can imagine Roswaal saying "eh let's see what happens" and her not being willing to take any chances because of how the witch cult killed her whole tribe or whatever.

So basically what I'm saying is that it isn't really strange that Rem killed Subaru. What is a little hosed up is how she was totally cool with brutally killing this guy who was pleading for his life, even if she thought he was evil or whatever. I can imagine just hitting him with a single kill blow, but continuing to smash him up while he's still alive and be cold to it is kinda weird.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

There's a somewhat interesting parallel that I never noticed before with emilia being distrusted by everyone due to association with the witch, and emilia's staff distrusting subaru due to association with the witch

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Found this, was topical

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
That's cool, interesting turn around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

In terms of reading up on translations for arc 4, should I go with Translation Chicken or the 4 chan chapter links ahead of the former?

• Locked thread