Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I wonder if the midseason finale will be someone breaking Lucille and then Talking Dead will have a funeral for it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Enderzero posted:

What's their excuse for this season?

That AMC owns the show and will gently caress it anyway they want, any time they want.

Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Better Call Saul and the vast majority of things NOT Walking Dead on their network are co-owned IPs so AMC can be told no. Walking Dead properties don't get to say no.

ED: I get the feeling the writing room is more a corporate feedback meeting more than anything. At least it's not Fear, where I swear to God think the writers are high as loving kites (and I'm not even really joking). Nobody can be as dumb as the Fear writers sober.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

some guy on the bus posted:

Season 2 had Shane. They badly need a Shane or Merle type to cause drama and fighting within the group.

You badly forget what counted as drama in Season 2. You could write the whole season on a basic loop.

10 Character says some view point they have and always have
20 Character goes into a room and says this to another character
30 Other character repeats their viewpoint they always say
40 Mention Sophia
50 Goto 10

The last couple episodes when Herschel actually changed his mind and decided to become awesome are the only ones worthwhile, if for nothing more than the hilarious infinite ammo shotgun. To be honest the show really needs a Herschel or a Dale to keep the character's heads on straight, more than another trouble maker.

ED: Also I want to say that they totally wasted Bernthal's talent on Shane stretching it out for so long (and being blissfully unaware how psychotic they made Laurie at the end). I've seen him some things after and he's so much better without a poo poo script. He killed it at the Punisher over on Netflix now.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 17, 2016

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

BlindSite posted:

Youd think after abraham had been there for a while there wouldve been something like this.

Proper patrols, forward positions, people on picket.

Nah gently caress it, never had anything take us unawares, dont worry about it. While we're at it we wont put proper road blocks near our entrances, have a fire watch or work on improving our fences with maybe a pit or something either.

Their lack of ability to learn from anything is maddening.

It's getting impossible to watch the show at this point with how lobotomized the characters act. These are things small hunter-gatherer tribes figure out. No one but the Kingdom has figured out the advanced technology of the spear. No one is ever watching out for trouble when literal chimps set lookouts. These people should be paranoid as hell but walk around without looking around corners .

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

To be fair, Hilltop also uses spears. They should have tried taking out Negan with a sniper. They're all "what if Negan finds out", but not being found out is kind of what snipers are kind of supposed to be good at. Based on previews, though, their one good sniper is at Hilltop now.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm really surprised more of them didn't have hidden guns, and how the gently caress is Michonne so bad at hiding. She knew they were there but she still sits and gawks in a doorway?

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I love Negan, I enjoyed the latest episode, I love the Morse code easter egg.

It's me, I'm the worst Walking Dead fan.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I am too. We are Negan.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Blazing Ownager posted:

You badly forget what counted as drama in Season 2. You could write the whole season on a basic loop.

10 Character says some view point they have and always have
20 Character goes into a room and says this to another character
30 Other character repeats their viewpoint they always say
40 Mention Sophia
50 Goto 10

The last couple episodes when Herschel actually changed his mind and decided to become awesome are the only ones worthwhile, if for nothing more than the hilarious infinite ammo shotgun. To be honest the show really needs a Herschel or a Dale to keep the character's heads on straight, more than another trouble maker.

ED: Also I want to say that they totally wasted Bernthal's talent on Shane stretching it out for so long (and being blissfully unaware how psychotic they made Laurie at the end). I've seen him some things after and he's so much better without a poo poo script. He killed it at the Punisher over on Netflix now.

The show was never great but the characters of Shane, Daryl, Hershel, and Dale made it entertaining enough. I remember bad parts like that but I remember parts like Rick/Shane fighting and I enjoyed those and wondering what Daryl would do next before he lost all nuance. I miss the arguing and in-fighting they used to do. Rick/Spenser and Michone giving mean looks is a crappy version of that.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

britishbornandbread posted:

John F Bennett posted:

I am too. We are Negan.

It's okay. I can bitch about various aspects of TWD all day but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't shamelessly addicted to this show.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

I watched S5 and S6 out of some weird obligation but Negan has brought me right back in. Love his character and his delivery. Sorry for those in the thread who don't like him, I understand that.

I will be honest, when he finally dies it will be a wonderful moment.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why do you like Negan? He just says the same thing over and over. You could switch around his scenes in any order and you won't know the difference.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Maybe true, but I like what I like. I enjoy the wisecracks against the backdrop of the end of the world, and the intensity he turns on at a moments notice when he thinks he is being hosed with. He is slightly more unnerving than the Governor, and I loved his role too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I liked him at first as well. I also love pizza but I want some drat variety and not the same toppings every day.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
I like Negan. JDM is a great actor and plays the whole 'charming and eloquent but super intimidating' part very well. Rick is a broken man, which I'm not sure I like. I can see how his will was just completely broken but he's been there before and was defiant to the end. Like when he told that guy at Terminus he was going to kill him with that machete despite from his perspective being moments from getting killed himself. Then he made good on that promise. Seems a little out of character for him to just be completely broken with no will left to fight.

Just want to repeat that Negan rules through fear and that Daryl centric episode showed how most of the Saviors just follow out of fear. If they just shot Negan right in the face while he was at the gate the majority would have booked it. There would have been some true believers who stayed and fought but they'd be few in number and leaderless.

Speculation here but I think we're heading towards Rick deciding he has to fight than rallying Hilltop behind them and through Carol and Morgan allying with the Kingdom then going to war with the Saviors. Probably see Rick decide to fight by the midseason finale, with the back half forming the alliances and ultimately the war.

Edit: I also get the feeling a major turning point will be Dwight defecting. He's clearly not happy there and he seems to be on his way, or is already, disillusioned with Negan. I can see him being the catalyst that causes Rick to realize he needs to fight and with someone on the inside who knows the base and the Savior structure that he can win. Negan deep down is probably afraid of Rick and Co. Look at the damage and how many people his group killed of his. It would explain why he plays some brutal mind games with Rick and always rolls 20-30 men deep when meeting with him. He knows making Rick think capitulation is his only option to survive gives him the best chance of keeping him under control. Once that spell is broken, Negan is as good as hosed.

Titan fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 18, 2016

Alone by Choice
Nov 18, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope Rosita gets her own storyline this season. I think it would be awesome if Rick had to "lend" her to Negan, since he thinks Maggie's dead.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I really liked Shane. John Bernthal is such a good actor and it's great to see him popping up in more and more movies.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Spermanent Record posted:

I really liked Shane. John Bernthal is such a good actor and it's great to see him popping up in more and more movies.

This is the exact opposite of reality. Shane was easily the worst acted character out of the entire series up until this point. The entire series.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I was a late comer to Walking Dead. When I started watching the series was already well into season 3 or 4.

I saw season 1 and 2 over one long, rainy weekend and when watched back to back the mounting tensions between Rick and Shane make everything much more enjoyable.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

BonoMan posted:

This is the exact opposite of reality. Shane was easily the worst acted character out of the entire series up until this point. The entire series.

And yet I enjoyed his performance and think he's a good actor.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
No gently caress off, stop liking things. Not allowed here

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

I loved the slow burn of Shane turning into a madman. Rick's ongoing helplessness was good, too.

The final fight at the end of S2 was intense.

Yeah again sorry for enjoying it. If it's any consolation the resolution of Terminus in ONE loving EPISODE was offensively terrible.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

some guy on the bus posted:

The show was never great but the characters of Shane, Daryl, Hershel, and Dale made it entertaining enough. I remember bad parts like that but I remember parts like Rick/Shane fighting and I enjoyed those and wondering what Daryl would do next before he lost all nuance. I miss the arguing and in-fighting they used to do. Rick/Spenser and Michone giving mean looks is a crappy version of that.

It's really weird to me seeing people disliking this season to the point of defending S2.

I really like how far they're taking the Dwight/Daryl parallels. For the non-comic nerds Dwight was literally created in the comics because Daryl was so popular, he's a troubled dude that dresses the same and uses a crossbow, same haircut and everything, the only difference is the burns on half his face. There's obviously a fun little 'the same guy, but came up with Negan not Rick' and I'm glad they are running with it.

There was some nice 1984 imagery in the compound episode too, even subtler poo poo like the tiers of cigarettes.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
e: /\/\/\

Agreed.

Titan posted:

Negan deep down is probably afraid of Rick and Co. Look at the damage and how many people his group killed of his. It would explain why he plays some brutal mind games with Rick and always rolls 20-30 men deep when meeting with him. He knows making Rick think capitulation is his only option to survive gives him the best chance of keeping him under control. Once that spell is broken, Negan is as good as hosed.

No, Negan's best chance of keeping Rick under control would have been to smash his head in. Even if he could "tame" Rick what would be the point? Warlords don't surround themselves with potential usurpers which Rick would certainly be if he joined them. For heaven's sake even if Negan wasn't evil how the hell would their #1 priority not be avenging their fallen comrades. If some group attacked an outpost of Alexandria and killed Daryl, Maggie and a number of other people would Rick be trying to recruit them or anything? He'd straight out murder everyone! Remember those guys from the library? What did they do to deserve such fate when apparently killing scores of Negan's people unprovoked is just brushed aside?

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 18, 2016

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The library didn't produce, or they were holding back on all the good magazines

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Shane was kind of uninspiring as a character but I had fun watching John Bernthal play The Punisher, so if you haven't seen Daredevil yet, Spermanent, check it out.

Reivur
Nov 9, 2013
I don't understand how Easy Street was cracking Daryl.
I thought he traveled with Beth for quite some time. :shrug:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

BonoMan posted:

You're forgetting Lori. She hasn't been good in anything I've seen her in, she always has that slightly startled but still vapidly stupid look on her face.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think the poorest acted character award definitely belongs to the annoying "mom?" kid that got bit in the head.

Anyway I'm sure I'm in the minority but I wouldn't be too bothered if Daryl died this season. At this point they aren't even trying to further build his character, he's just invincible because he's the guy the fans like so he just does things while looking surly, and it takes a lot out of the plot when you know he's just not going to die. My prediction is multiple fakeouts like they did with Glenn until people get too annoyed with it and finally off him.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Reivur posted:

I don't understand how Easy Street was cracking Daryl.
I thought he traveled with Beth for quite some time. :shrug:

They should finally break Daryl by coincidentally playing one of the songs Beth used to sing.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

What happened to Beth anyway? Wasn't she kidnapped? I don't remember if there was a resolution.

VVV Oh, right!

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 18, 2016

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

John F Bennett posted:

What happened to Beth anyway? Wasn't she kidnapped? I don't remember if there was a resolution.

Suicide by cop.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

John F Bennett posted:

They took a page out of Wanted's movie script and curved a bullet up through her head.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This version of Rick is worse than "Stuff and thangs" Rick.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
http://i.imgur.com/DEhezSL.gifv

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

the resolution of Terminus in ONE loving EPISODE was offensively terrible.

Commando Carol? That was awesome, she went metal gear solid on those cannibals.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

No Luck Needed posted:

Commando Carol? That was awesome, she went metal gear solid on those cannibals.

And the Terminus survivors chased them for a couple more episodes. So the resolution to Terminus wasn't even one episode, it was the opposite of that. multiple episodes.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I kind of miss flashback episodes. Maybe we could get one about Negan before the outbreak and it's just about him being the star player for his company softball team and in one of the scenes he's walking to the on deck circle and one of his teammates says, "Negan! Negan! You forgot Lucille." and then he hands Negan his bat and Negan winks at the camera.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They should finally break Daryl by coincidentally playing one of the songs Beth used to sing.

I was thinking something by scatman john or rednex personally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Anyway I'm sure I'm in the minority but I wouldn't be too bothered if Daryl died this season. At this point they aren't even trying to further build his character, he's just invincible because he's the guy the fans like so he just does things while looking surly, and it takes a lot out of the plot when you know he's just not going to die.
Me too. Daryl had his era of greatness for me but I don't think he's been interesting in several seasons. It also annoys me that they just take other characters' arcs from the comics and give them to Daryl. I feel like they wasted an opportunity with him. Since he wasn't in the comics, they could have done literally anything they wanted with him. Instead, they gave him Tyrese's arc and reduced Tyrese to Judith's babysitter. Now it seems like they are giving him Carl's story arc with Negan.