Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Tract #62 - Dark Dungeons (1984)

Above: original 1984 version, later 1984 printing, 2013 reprint.

Debbie enjoys playing role-playing games with her friends. Unfortunately, that leads to her initiation into a witches' coven. One of the other gals in her role-playing game group hangs herself after her character dies, the ultimate commitment to the game. Debbie starts to have second thoughts about witchcraft, burns her game-related books, and finds Christ.

In the 2013 version, Marcie gets pants instead of a dress:

Marcie's suicide note changes to cursive in the later versions:

The original version refers to C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as occult authors:

Debbie gets a new outfit in the 2013 version:

The demons fleeing her body are larger in the 2013 version:

The last page was changed in the 2013 version:

I like this picture of the good Christian praying over the pile of toys he's about to burn:

Dark Dungeons went out of print in 1991, but came back in 2013 due to popular demand.

Also, there is a satirical movie based on this tract, made with the full permission of Chick Publications.

You can read the current version here:

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp

I just discovered an early variant version of Dark Dungeons with a red border around the picture on the cover (top). The standard early version is the one in the middle. Both are labeled "46/A," which means that they are both from the first printing of this tract. Chick Publications usually only makes changes to tracts between print runs, so this is especially weird.

Finally, just for the sake of comparison, the bottom picture is a later reprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Here are a few non-Chick tracts I picked up recently:

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
I can't tell if multiple pages of reading are more or less obnoxious than the comic tracts.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

A new kickstarter from the guy who wrote THE book on collecting Chick tracts:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/monsterwax/a-hellacious-jack-chick-tract-parody-the-collector

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Gutter Phoenix posted:

A new kickstarter from the guy who wrote THE book on collecting Chick tracts:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/monsterwax/a-hellacious-jack-chick-tract-parody-the-collector

Ooh cheers, the art in that looks really on point

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I was trying to find my scans of these images and only found them in an old thread so I’ll just paste it here for the hell of it

quote:

I used to love Chick tracts, I'd save all the ones I could find. Luckily in Times Square there would be a guy with hundreds of them in many different languages, he let me take as many as I wanted. The real fun was finding them though, they would turn up in the strangest places.

So 20 years ago I was interning at Earache Records in NYC, and brought in a pile of my Chick Tracts for them to see. I thought those guy would have known about them but that was their first exposure. Soon after they produce a compilation tape with packaging based on one of his tracts, and it included a printed parody tract that looked really good, just like one of his but it was about how awesome evil music is.

Now I'm looking for an image of it an can't find it anywhere online or in the Earache discography. Maybe I dreamt it.

Anyway, that's my story.

I ended up finding it and made scans

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Holy crap, I've never seen or heard of that knock-off tract, and I used to listen to a bunch of Earache bands when I was a teenage metalhead in the early 90's!

Thank you for posting that.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Holy crap, I've never seen or heard of that knock-off tract, and I used to listen to a bunch of Earache bands when I was a teenage metalhead in the early 90's!

Thank you for posting that.

I wish i had an extra copy to give you! I doubt they made many of them, the NYC office didn’t really produce much of their own stuff in general. The discogs page for the tape doesn’t even mention the tract: https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Beast-Earache-94-Sampler/release/15258204

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I already have a set, and don't have the spare cash to pick these up to resell, so I thought I'd put this here in case anyone wants to grab these EXTREMELY rare and EXTREMELY bizarre Chick Publications comics that have been out of print for decades.

These almost never appear on ebay, so don't sleep on 'em if you ever want copies of these crazy fuckin' things!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Too late. I serve only Tiki and Don Ho now.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

My friend from Olympia, Washington just sent me this:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s tract

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

children do indeed need tracts as much as adults do

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

You can't argue with that logic!!

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009
When I lived in Southern California back in 2012, they (the physical tracts) were loving everywhere. I used to take as many as I could when I would see them, and then bring them back to my hometown in the Bible Belt to hand out to friends and strangers at various shows at my favorite local alt-music venue. People always got a kick out of them. I still have a few that I kept for posterity.

Edit: Here they are:

Edit to avoid doublepost:

Lifepuzzler fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 4, 2022

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I used to always find copies of Tiny Shoes in Portland 2001-2009. Other tracts too, but I saw that one, and This Was Your Life! at bus stops all the time.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

https://chick.com/battle-cry/article?id=Parents-Sue-California-Schools-Over-Aztec-Prayers

LOL!!!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

That sure is a take they got there.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
BREAKING: Fred Carter, the artist behind many Chick Tracts, including the crazy realistic-looking ones, the "Black-centric" rewrites and all the ones published after Jack's death, died of heart failure earlier this month at the age of 83. According to an obituary written by a family friend on Facebook, he had been admitted to hospital two months ago after a mild stroke and his situation deteriorated after that.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

The Kins posted:

BREAKING: Fred Carter, the artist behind many Chick Tracts, including the crazy realistic-looking ones, the "Black-centric" rewrites and all the ones published after Jack's death, died of heart failure earlier this month at the age of 83. According to an obituary written by a family friend on Facebook, he had been admitted to hospital two months ago after a mild stroke and his situation deteriorated after that.

Oh poo poo!

Man, what a fuckin' bummer. I can't believe there wasn't a notice on Chick.com (unless I missed it).

He was their only artist left after Chick died. I wonder what they're gonna do about new tracts?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/monsterwax/the-chick-tract-missing-promo-project?ref=2csrub

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I found this rare tome at a strange little shop.

Hmm... I wonder who these Evangelical Christians are really mad at...

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Animal-Mother posted:

I found this rare tome at a strange little shop.

Hmm... I wonder who these Evangelical Christians are really mad at...

Gonna want/need the entire scan of that. Wow

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

namlosh posted:

Gonna want/need the entire scan of that. Wow

I don't have access to a scanner but I'll see if I can summon a demon to help me out.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
RIP gutter phoenix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Junk posted:

RIP gutter phoenix

Wait really?