Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Haha I tricked a gorgeous girl into marrying me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rhyno posted:

Haha I tricked a gorgeous girl into marrying me!

Does your wife know?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Locator posted:

Does your wife know?

Shhhhh! She might hear you!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Are you the new Triple H?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So remember that PC my stepdad bought?

He... went back to the seller. For a video card that would do 3+ monitors. Seller sold him what I thought would play nice with the onboard video - a Radeon-based card (9550 to be exact, a little overkill, but a decent card). Talked him into a new PSU as well. Out the door was $160; I'm not sure what brand the card is (no markings on it except for ATi Radeon - does ATi sell their own cards?), but it has 2 x DVI, 1 x HDMI, and 1 x mini HDMI connectors on it. The PSU is pretty decent (Corsair 750 watt), just overkill. So at least he didn't get ripped off too bad on that upgrade, and he has the original PSU as a spare.

He'd cobbled together a mess of 3 different monitors from Craigslist. None were what they claimed to be; he sold 2 of them and kept the best one ("1 year old" Samsung 24" that's actually 7 years old, but it has an LED backlight). I talked him into buying 3 brand new monitors, all matching, to reduce eye strain. He caved when he saw just how cheap monitors are now - he picked up 3 x 24" Acer IPS monitors. They're pretty drat good looking monitors, with no bezel. I was impressed with the picture on them.

So... he picked up a 2 monitor tower, opting to keep one on the desk. Since the monitors only do HDMI and VGA, I had him order two DVI to HDMI cables before getting the monitors.

It works. Played around with running all 3 off of the Radeon, or running one off of the onboard video. The PC is happy to do either of them, so in theory he could probably hook up 5 or 6 total (Windows was seeing 5 connectors, 2 active monitors with 1 inactive; got all 3 active). With the older Geforce I had in there, it wouldn't boot if you had monitors hooked up to both the onboard video and the video card.

The 24" Samsung is now on mom's PC, replacing her much older, CFL backlit 22" Samsung (which is now on my desk, replacing a 10 year old CFL backlit 20" Dell). The Samsung makes my primary monitor (6 year old Acer 22") look like trash, so they're gonna get swapped around.

I don't know why the hell he wants so much screen space, but it's done, and that thing should be pretty reliable. It now has a Corsair PSU, Samsung SSD, Hitachi HDD (came with it; has relatively low hours on it according to SMART data), some of my old RAM (all name brand DDR3-1600), and some variant of a Radeon 9550. 3 year parts and labor warranty on the monitors, and the build date on 2 of the 3 was 5 weeks ago (the 3rd was 3 weeks ago), as confirmed by Acer's product registration website. Also had him order an 850VA UPS to power the PC itself + 1 monitor in case of a power failure, to allow enough time for a graceful shutdown (and to give a bit more surge protection than that lovely $10 "surge protector" he has now). He wants the internet to stay up too, so I'll probably have to find the world's smallest UPS for the modem and router (which are on the other end of the house).

I wouldn't mind 2 of those monitors + that system for myself. Maybe he'll get tired of day trading and sell them to me. :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 27, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I don't know why the hell he wants so much screen space,

Because it's awesome.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Had a pretty decent time driving BMWs near Palm Springs this weekend, as I detailed over in that thread.

Some interesting CA metal seen on the ride up:

Some interesting CA metal seen on the ride back:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mom signed up for Directv Now, and got a free Apple TV 4k. She already has a smart TV, so she gave it to me.

I don't really see the point to even opening it; I have a Roku in the living room and Chromecast in the bedroom. The Fire TV lost its appeal when Amazon and Google got into a slap fight over Youtube (plus mine's a first gen, so it's painfully slow), and I never got into the Apple ecosystem. Probably toss it on Craigslist or Swappa as new in box, and hope someone that doesn't know about the Directv Now deal buys it?

cakesmith handyman posted:

Because it's awesome.

I've been running dual monitors for years, but once they start growing horizontally, that just seems like it'll get painful.

Technically 3 monitors at one point, but one was just a TV that I only turned on to watch movies on from the PC. Now that Rokus, Fire TVs, etc are common, along with the ease of running a Plex server, hooking up to a TV just seems pointless.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Mom signed up for Directv Now, and got a free Apple TV 4k. She already has a smart TV, so she gave it to me.

I don't really see the point to even opening it; I have a Roku in the living room and Chromecast in the bedroom. The Fire TV lost its appeal when Amazon and Google got into a slap fight over Youtube (plus mine's a first gen, so it's painfully slow), and I never got into the Apple ecosystem. Probably toss it on Craigslist or Swappa as new in box, and hope someone that doesn't know about the Directv Now deal buys it?

I've been running dual monitors for years, but once they start growing horizontally, that just seems like it'll get painful.

Technically 3 monitors at one point, but one was just a TV that I only turned on to watch movies on from the PC. Now that Rokus, Fire TVs, etc are common, along with the ease of running a Plex server, hooking up to a TV just seems pointless.

I might be interested if there's a decent goon price. I've got an older ATV I've been thinking about replacing...

I run 3 monitors and it's perfect. 2x27" Acer 144hz and 1x24" Dell. One 27 for chrome/chat/whatever,The other 27 for my work VM or if I really need both screens. The 24 is vertical and dedicated to work email.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

3 monitor, 2 pc setup at work because our software based phone system doesn't work properly and it apparently needs a fresh Windows 10 install on a reasonably high spec machine in order to not crash out every 5 minutes. Mitel, you are loving terrible and I hate you an awful lot.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Speaking of which what's the best way to watch Amazon video without a fire stick? My wife's got video for a few months because Amazon keep loving up but casting anything to the TV causes a lag between sound and video. Laptop and HDMI cable?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Roku, Apple TV, or the laptop + HDMI. Or, of course, a Fire TV/Fire TV stick.

Honestly, the Roku and Fire TV stick are cheap enough that they're pretty viable options. The better Rokus have a gigabit port if you're not a fan of wifi. Their UI isn't as polished as Amazon's, but the newer ones are very quick, and a lot simpler overall than the Fire's UI. The 2nd gen Fire TV stick is very responsive, the 1st gen that I have is so painful that I stopped using it.

I have a really old Roku 1 (2710RW) that I'll probably let go of soon for the cost of shipping, but it's painfully slow - almost as slow as my 1st gen Fire TV stick (and of course shipping across the pond would be more than it's worth).

Beverly Cleavage posted:

I might be interested if there's a decent goon price. I've got an older ATV I've been thinking about replacing...

I run 3 monitors and it's perfect. 2x27" Acer 144hz and 1x24" Dell. One 27 for chrome/chat/whatever,The other 27 for my work VM or if I really need both screens. The 24 is vertical and dedicated to work email.

I just don't have the space for 3 monitors. Up until yesterday I was running a 22" Acer (1920x1080) and 20" Dell (1680x1050) side by side; that's now an Acer and Samsung (both 22", both 1920x1080). It's plenty for me, but I don't work from home. The nice thing about the Dell is it had a tilt/swivel/rotate base, so I could run it sideways easily. The Acer and Dell just have a tilt base, no other adjustments. The 24" Samsung that mom now has doesn't have ANY adjustability in the stand - and seems like it tilts forward a bit (or maybe it's supposed to tilt, and just sat in storage so long that it won't move?). Annoying, but I shoved a stack of mailers under the front edge of the base to make it level.

I have the Apple TV optimistically listed on Swappa for $148 (which is undercutting all the other new-in-box listings by $1 :laffo:), but if I can't sell it there (or locally) in a few days, I'll toss out a goon price that'll be a bit less than paying for Directv Now for 3 months.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 27, 2018

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
re: ATV. Cool. I'll keep an eye out.

The best thing I ever did was get a stand and mount the 27s on it, they're cheap enough these days that if you can do it on your monitors, to me, it would be well worth it. It opens up quite a bit of room not having to work around the base of the monitor. The dell is still on it's original base and I actually should get a stand for it, but..effort. meh.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Speaking of which what's the best way to watch Amazon video without a fire stick? My wife's got video for a few months because Amazon keep loving up but casting anything to the TV causes a lag between sound and video. Laptop and HDMI cable?
Do you have any gaming consoles? I used to watch it with my little htpc but the PS3 has the app as well.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

After messing around with Apple TV's, Chromecasts and fire sticks I have concluded that a laptop and a cable is the best way to do things. Get yourself a cable of sufficient length so that you can get the laptop in a good spot. You can also then easily use the TV for playing/watching anything else with minimal messing around.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah gadgets are fine until they stop working for X reason. Laptop + a cable means you can do everything rather than being limited by apps and weird 3rd party software that likely mines your data to sell.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I just have a computer hooked up to the TV :shrug:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

slidebite posted:

Do you have any gaming consoles? I used to watch it with my little htpc but the PS3 has the app as well.

No and no plans to get one, sounds like laptop is the way.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

No and no plans to get one, sounds like laptop is the way.

ps3's are dirt cheap now, just sayin

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hoofing ten of these tubs up to the 2nd story was not fun, especially when half of them are full of tools

gently caress laundromats and the $2.50/load machines the apartment supplies

Do you even RGB, bro? :smug:

I've got the gaming center all set up, boss

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

A motherfuckin' Super Scope. :hfive:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hell yeah. I even offered to "sell" it to someone here on SA for the cost of shipping (around $20), but they never responded to PMs, so here it is. Gotta set it up and dig out 6 AAs one of these days.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It's big and stupid as far as lightguns go and the games weren't exactly great BUT it was a loving bazooka that you played a game with. I think I bought mine new for £20 when they were deemed as selling poorly back in the 90s. Best £20 ever.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I have an original chromecast from what 2012? Which works perfectly apart from the whole Google and Amazon slapfight. It has been replaced by a smart TV that is now stalking me of course.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Trying to do coursework on only one monitor is tedious as hell and I dearly miss my desktop and dual monitors.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You could get a much better CRT than that for free, people are giving them away because no one will buy them.

I had to give away a 32" Sony HD that had the best picture I have ever seen......It was 200 pounds tho :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I replaced our bathroom sink over the weekend. I'd cracked a chunk off of the outer rim some time ago. I super-glued it back on - it's purely cosmetic damage, and the sink was fully functional, but kinda ugly. Wife decided that she didn't like that any more. $40 got an equivalent Glacier Bay from the Home Despot, so I had my job cut out for me. I did notice a hairline crack in the actual basin, so it was definitely time. There was also some really ugly caulk that was *not* holding the sink in.
Somehow I didn't get a picture of the cracked sink, but here's some previous owner goodness on the drain plumbing:

I don't even know.
That turned out to be a chrome coupler nut with some sort of hard sealer.

Copper pipe coming out of the wall, not quite 2.5". No leaks. Re-used the rubber coupler, since it was still pliable.

Sink removed, showing off the nasty sealer/caulk. Fortunately that all came off the countertop easily. Note the hard copper supply lines with valves. That will change, because gently caress not having valves.
Also, witness my 1964 sparkly formica.

Cut the copper with a Dremel cutoff wheel at the soldered elbow joint to keep as much stub as possible.

Deburred and cleaned the copper, and ground off a solder drip on the cold water line.

I cheated and used shark-bites.

All new plumbing except for the copper and the rubber coupler:

Fresh, new sink.

God, it looks so much nicer without the crack and manky sealant. It also stays put now, rather than wandering around as previous.
I'm really happy with the way it came out, there were no leaks at all, and everything went together the way it's supposed to easily, for a wonder.
Mind you, that whole bathroom needs to be remodeled. The tub has a chip in the porcelain coating (steel tub). Anyone have any experience with havin tubs recoated? I like the size and shape of what I have, but the rusting chip at the drain looks crappy, and new tubs are either expensive, or fiberglass.
Then, all the tile around the tub is ugly, and trying to fall off, and I have no doubt that there is no wallboard back there.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Applebees Appetizer posted:

You could get a much better CRT than that for free, people are giving them away because no one will buy them.

I had to give away a 32" Sony HD that had the best picture I have ever seen......It was 200 pounds tho :v:

This is true. Because of your post, I started looking for Trinitrons on phoenix craigslist. I had left a huge one with my ex when I left last february, and I miss it.

Well, look at what's on CL: https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/ele/d/sony-trinitron-tv-36-inch/6445466823.html

100% chance it's my old TV. I grew up with that TV, and I know it when I see it, even with a blurry pic. The address even corresponds to her new place, roughly, and the timeframe is about when she moved.

Should I do it?

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 27, 2018

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Is it just me or do the stock rotors on C6 Corvettes look ridiculously small for the size of the wheels that are usually on those cars?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

This is true. Because of your post, I started looking for Trinitrons on phoenix craigslist. I had left a huge one with my ex when I left last february, and I miss it.

Well, look at what's on CL: https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/ele/d/sony-trinitron-tv-36-inch/6445466823.html

100% chance it's my old TV. I grew up with that TV, and I know it when I see it, even with a blurry pic. The address even corresponds to her new place, roughly, and the timeframe is about when she moved.

Should I do it?

Absolutely not unless this is some weird bid to see your ex again. CRTs are a dime a dozen.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Listen this is Automotive Insanity :colbert:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/6/16973914/tvs-crt-restoration-led-gaming-vintage

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

With the poo poo you've been posting, I wouldn't suggest it is all. Move on.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Just got a share of Lightning season tickets. Hell to the loving yes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Death to CRTs. Pay tribute to the lord LCD.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

E:^also this^. gently caress CRT whine forever.

first word is as important as the second tho. Also what Larrymer said.

Sony made thousands of Trinitrons in the 90s and early 00s.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 27, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Or go entirely off the deep end and get a Sony PVM.

You know you want that RGB goodness.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I kinda like CRT's, their soft pixels and scan lines made lovely, low res images look almost dreamlike

I'd never go back to using a CRT, because holy gently caress they were heavy and lovely, but I like the idea of them

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Death to CRTs. Pay tribute to the lord LCD.

LCDs were awful shite for the longest time, they're only just recently (as in the past 3/4 years) decent enough where I'd actually buy one. I installed so many high grade LCDs for people which had a picture that was far worse than the CRT it was replacing. The image oh them was so dull and lifeless for such a long time, the motion was utter testicles and the viewing angles were laughable.

The best bit was people buy razor thin LCD sets and then putting them in the corner of the room to take up just as much if not more of the corner negating any advantage it had over the CRT it was replacing.

OLED and QLED are coming along but still not quite there IMO. One thing about the industry I do like though is that 3D died a death and no fucker cared about the stupid curved screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Or go entirely off the deep end and get a Sony PVM.

You know you want that RGB goodness.

Hnnnngh. I would love one of those or a Sony GDM-FW900. 2304x1440 24" Trinitron :swoon:

• Locked thread