Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Counterpoint: these are mostly boomers/xoomers who most definitely voted liberal so it all evens out.

e: just so i dont sound like barnaby joyce, they also decided to live on a water front and then complain about the increasing risk of their house being eaten by the sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Laserface posted:

Counterpoint: these are mostly boomers/xoomers who most definitely voted liberal so it all evens out.

e: just so i dont sound like barnaby joyce, they also decided to live on a water front and then complain about the increasing risk of their house being eaten by the sea.

If that cyclone hits there it's going to peel those houses off the beach like the skin off an orange. They're either gonna be outright destroyed or be so eroded they just slough off into the ocean anyway.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Well, in case you thought that water from the rains would end up getting where it needs to get and let one of our biggest former rivers flow again, here comes the NSW state government to take a nice long dump in your cereal:

NSW green light to irrigators to harvest rainfall angers downstream residents

quote:

Floodplain harvesting, which is unlicensed in NSW, is done by using levees, channels, gates and pumps to direct water into large on-farm storages, which are used for irrigation.

But it means the water is unlikely to find its way into the Darling, especially the lower Darling, causing anger downstream.

“It’s more than anger, I am heartbroken,” said Graeme McCrabb, a local resident of Menindee who has led the charge on raising awareness of the mass fish kills that occurred last summer and have continued to occur this summer.

“You should see it: mussels dying on the side of the river, dead fish every day. Words just don’t describe how terrible it is here,” he said.

“We are putting all this effort into relocating fish to save them, but now there won’t be any flush of the river and the environmental disaster will keep unfolding.”

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
So Much For Global Warming Says Local Shared Facebook Account After Big Weekend Of Rain

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

So Much For Global Warming Says Local Shared Facebook Account After Big Weekend Of Rain

Apparently environmentalist Tim Flannery must have said something about the reservoirs never being full again thanks to global warming because whenever I looked up anything about the storms in NSW last week half of them had someone smugly commenting "TAKE THAT FLANNERY!!!11!""

I think it broke their brains when he got Australian Of The Year a while back

Edit: even after all that insane rain last week the reservoirs are only 73% full
https://www.waternsw.com.au/supply/Greater-Sydney/greater-sydneys-dam-levels

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I live in a wetlands area theoretically fed by the Logan river but while the wetlands are actually doing gangbusters and doing really well holding the rainfall proper the actual river feed is bone dry bc the river is more or less completely gone this far west. It’s just a glacier of lantana until you get to glen eagle. I’m unclear for the exact reason but it’s almost certainly directly the fault of the nat scumbags

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Comstar posted:

Can anyone tell me what creature is this and how can I move it out of my back yard. It makes a 2m square web every night between the hills hoist and bush right at the same time I want to walk to my mancave and paint figures to beat Napoleon. After walking into the web 3 nights in a row I turned around and saw it. I now avoid that route, but I'm going to forget and walk right into it.

This is in northern Melbourne. The thing is about 1.5 inches across. My iPhone won't take a clearer picture because it's afraid it will get too close and attack with a 16d6 attack throw.

People who are scared of spiders, don't look. The light makes it more brown than the yellow I can see.

Someone tell me it's an introduced creature so I can get a flame thrower or tactical nuke to stop it. Otherwise, how do I move it and how far do I need to take it so it won't come back and hunt me down in revenge.
Oooohh... purdy... what does its back look like? We had this little lady make a web across a corner of our backyard...

... fortunately it wasn't across a path, unlike one of her sisters... the one who's web I almost walked into.

:supaburn:

I was able to move that one though. She'd leave an anchor rope up during the day and fortunately would shelter in the tree side. I moved her over a few days by taking the end of the anchor line on a stick and moving it from the house and stretching it to another anchor point in the tree... then repeating. I was lucky though because she was co-operative. She seemed to like sheltering in the day at the end furthest from the house.

Old Death's Head though... I just let her be and tried to get a shot up close without shaking.

Kinda failed on that one.

Edit:

Memento posted:

Yeah that's a thing, there was an ABC article about it a couple of weeks ago, but in the grand scheme of things it's not priority number one for poo poo to deal with. It's not exactly going to be high concentrations when it does get mobilised.
Thanks

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

You guys are amateurs.

To overcome the spider's curse, simply quote a bible verse!

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

You guys are amateurs.

To overcome the spider's curse, simply quote a bible verse!

" Thou shalt not vaccinate thy youth!" - book of Mundine

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Kharnifex posted:

Garden orb weaver, native, quite aggressive when disturbed, bite hurts like hell, localised blistering, nausea and vomiting

We don't have non venomous spiders in Oz, the previous posters are full of poo poo and I challenge them to force one to bite them on camera to prove it.

Uloboridae don't count!

This is the fire thread.

Take that poo poo to the AUSGBS thread.

:350:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blow posted:

This is the fire thread.

Take that poo poo to the AUSGBS thread.

:350:

I have terrible news

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Yeah nah

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/_LisaMCox/status/1227724546016284672

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Kharnifex posted:

" Thou shalt not vaccinate thy youth!" - book of Mundine

In his specific case, that wouldn't be a bad decision.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Hurray!

https://twitter.com/nswrfs/status/1227842115624824833?s=21

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

All fires contained.

Rivers hosed. Fish dead.

Gunna take the Snowy Mountains a while to recover.

E: 1,000,000,349 native animals incinerated.

----- CUT THREAD HERE -----

Blow fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 13, 2020

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Blow posted:

All fires contained.

Rivers hosed. Fish dead.

Gunna take the Snowy Mountains a while to recover.

----- CUT THREAD HERE -----

Australian Bushfire Climate Crisis: See the chaos that has been wrought.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 13, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blow posted:

The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning in Victoria is planning on extracting up to 34 species of animals from the wild and placing them in captive breeding populations because the fires hosed up their habitats so much
https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/delicate-rescue-to-save-threatened-wildlife-from-bushfire-zone-20200207-p53yms.html

Staff from the Office of Environment and Heritage have been holding "working bees" in their homes to build makeshift feeders and water stations to place in the Kosciuszko National Park so that the remaining populations of the endangered mountain pygmy-possum don't starve now that their food sources got burnt up.
https://www.theage.com.au/environment/conservation/after-the-firestorm-hopes-rise-for-mountain-pygmy-possum-s-revival-20200212-p53zzi.html

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Beers are free for Paul from Nelligen

https://twitter.com/MikeCarlton01/status/1228121983348596736?s=19

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Blow posted:

BORN TO BURN
ALL FIRES CONTAINED
Rivers hosed.
Fish dead.
1,000,000,349 native animals incinerated.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

:australia:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Jimboomba creek flooded at high tide in full sunlight today so they closed the 13 over it now I can’t buy weed wtf

It’s a fuckin creek it’s not supposed to be affected by tidal movements but the Logan is just stressed as hell rn

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Can’t get to the big smoke can’t get to the dope farmers out west I’m trapped

E: I refuse to buy dope from the local junkies before anyone suggests that

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 14, 2020

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Wrong thread teurnbeierg

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

:cheers:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Where is the Australian flood crisis thread then? MT seems to be having a flood- related crisis :ohdear:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Maybe this should be rechristened the Australian Climate Crisis thread. It's all connected.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Australian Climate Crisis; Fire, Water, Wind, Earth, and ScoMo lacks the Heart to do anything about them.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Australian Climate Crisis; Fire, Water, Wind, Earth, and ScoMo lacks the Heart to do anything about them.
For a second I thought you were going for
"Water, fire, air and dirt
loving magnets, how do they work?"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Dam wall cracks, with hundreds of properties expected to be flooded
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-15/locals-evacuate-from-queensland-dam-failure-at-talgai/11968580

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwiTs60VoTM

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/feb/15/last-population-macquarie-perch-nsw-river-carnage-bushfire-ash-fish-species

Luke Pearce had arrived at Mannus Creek for a three-day mission to rescue the Murray-Darling Basin’s last population of Macquarie perch.

For 10 years Pearce had visited this spot on the edge of the Snowy Mountains that, just weeks earlier, was ravaged by fire. There had been rain and the creek was flowing fast.

But as Pearce and his colleagues stood on the bank – nets at the ready – the water turned “to a river of black porridge”.

“We got there at about midday with two teams. But we were too late,” he says.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/feb/15/last-population-macquarie-perch-nsw-river-carnage-bushfire-ash-fish-species

Luke Pearce had arrived at Mannus Creek for a three-day mission to rescue the Murray-Darling Basin’s last population of Macquarie perch.

For 10 years Pearce had visited this spot on the edge of the Snowy Mountains that, just weeks earlier, was ravaged by fire. There had been rain and the creek was flowing fast.

But as Pearce and his colleagues stood on the bank – nets at the ready – the water turned “to a river of black porridge”.

gently caress.

At least the unpaid firies saved the Wollemi Pine.

"The Wollemi Pine is one of the world's oldest and rarest plants dating back to the time of the dinosaurs. With less than 100 adult trees known to exist in the wild, the Wollemi Pine is now the focus of extensive research to safeguard its survival. Assist in the conservation effort by growing your own Wollemi Pine and becoming part of one of the most dramatic comebacks in natural history."

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gridlocked posted:

Australian Bushfire Climate Crisis: See the chaos that has been wrought.
legit could we do this? the cc thread in d&d is mostly americans and europeans, our particular kind of chaos probably deserves its own

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The actual bushfire crisis is over for now, There are still some fires burning and it's possible that more could start, but it's become the 'normal' fire season now rather than an apocalyptic one.
I too would like a thread where we could talk about the impact it's had and the recovery work needed as well as talking about everything that's threatening the Aussie environment and climate change currently and in the future.
Also we need a place to vent about how loving useless our pollies are on climate issues and how Paul Parker from Nelligen should never have to buy himself another beer in his lifetime.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Pivot this thread to "Australian climate crisis: the planet's canary in the coal mine" and keep going IMO.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Synthbuttrange posted:

I mean, how many people get to say they got there just in time to watch the last of a species die? Still pretty poo poo.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://twitter.com/james_trezise/status/1228507697059790848

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Helith posted:

Also we need a place to vent about how loving useless our pollies are on climate issues and how Paul Parker from Nelligen should never have to buy himself another beer in his lifetime.

The Auspol thread is this way

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

looks like jbp's perch futures are gonna go through the roof

e: oh oops i thought this was the auspol thread lol

bell jar fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Urcher posted:

The Auspol thread is this way