Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Fuschia tude posted:

What's the story behind :radcat:?

I think that one's from the old E/N Comics thread, where people were drawing comic versions of classic threads. One of them was about a goon managing to get herself and her cat out of an abusive home; one of the panels was the cat looking very worried and thinking "oh no, am I a bad cat?" Someone suggested it was, in fact, a rad cat; the artist redrew the panel to give the cat sunglasses and a smooth expression; someone else bought the smilie soon thereafter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
what is going on in fyad today

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

zakharov posted:

Well that didn't take long

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

zakharov posted:

one of their posters got permabanned during the troubles for ironic slur usage
that poster's alt got permabanned for being a rereg of a permabanned user today

they're also (still) mad cyrano is still an admin

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Hey, can I get a link to a writeup of the Reddit Pedocaust? I'm talking to a new goon and want to show him the amazingness.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Ok, quick recap. Mostly, who is a rereg of permabanned poster jay z's sedan, was just permabanned for being a rereg of jay z's sedan. Jay z's sedan was permabanned during the FYAD troubles for posting something really, really bad. Not going to repeat it here, here is a link to the QCS thread, https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944271 Julias a few posts down quoted it if you are interested. FYAD posters say that jay z's sedan was just making the same sort of argument that anti-FYAD posters were using against FYAD and turning them back on them. There is some validity to this claim. However the actual content of the resulting post is just absolutely disgusting. The thing is that Mostly was pretty openly posting as a jay z's sedan rereg for months, and just got the perma yesterday. She hadn't posted anything objectionable in that time. The posters in FYAD are angry that Mostly was only just now perma'd, and making the comparison that people making other death threats have not been perma'd. So they are mass probating themselves in protest (or rather their IK's are).

There is a lot of detail and nuance to what is going on here, like jay z's sedan may have been in a bad medical and psychological situation when said post was made. At the same time it was exactly the worst possible post a FYADer could have made at a time when they were being accused of bigotry and using slurs casually.

That's what's going on. I would suggest that we not litigate it in this thread at present, but there is a QCS thread linked if you have an opinion.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Yeah I wasn't looking to litigate it here but I appreciate the writeup, thank you

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I'm still lolin about KM

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

seriously lol

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Unperma all the perma’d and let them prove their posting mettle.

Perma all the fuckers who touched KM’s saclopedia entry.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:hai:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Remember how they used their alt to plug their own patreon? lol

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This is the only honourable course of action.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Hot Diggity! posted:

Remember how they used their alt to plug their own patreon? lol

That and the SAclopedia thing really seals the deal on it being my favorite thing on the forums in the past decade.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

That and the SAclopedia thing really seals the deal on it being my favorite thing on the forums in the past decade.

I can't believe that it happened a couple months ago it's still so fresh in my mind

god it's so funny

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I can't believe nobody ever accused them of being the same person, it just seems so pathetically obvious.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I can't believe nobody ever accused them of being the same person, it just seems so pathetically obvious.

I don't have links handy, but synthy or someone in a fyad thread called it in 2017 or 2018, when Honey Trap Queen casually floated KM as being a good option for D&D mod since posters there liked and trusted her

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

Honey Trap Queen only made like 100 posts in three years so the alt wasn’t on a lot of people’s radars, but yeah, Synthy ended up calling it.

Like, I’m on this website far, far too much and hadnt heard of Honey Trap Queen til the perma.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's not as though KM didn't have plenty of actual sycophants. Honey Trap Queen didn't exactly stand out.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Heath posted:

It's not as though KM didn't have plenty of actual sycophants. Honey Trap Queen didn't exactly stand out.

Also true. People literally gave her nearly a grand to go to Wakandacon.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also true. People literally gave her nearly a grand to go to Wakandacon.

That was with some promises of taking photos, document the trip, and then a few goons fired back saying she didn't owe them anything and she should just go and have fun and SA didn't need a trip report. This was after she had said "I need $100 for merch" and her sycophants said "that's not enough lets raise $300 for her to buy merch"

It's really shocking how easily someone can insert themselves into a community and play the victim card leading to a dedicated cabal of posters aggressively defending anything they do without a shred of doubt.

what was almost lost during the whole thing is if the posting is true she got scammed herself by the person who posted some woe is me please help, and followed up with "i need $30k for new kitchen appliances".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

whats the over/under on post quality re: buying liters of noname whiskey at the gas station with patreon money?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

exquisite tea posted:

You should listen to this person, they're really great.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

BrigadierSensible posted:

Forgive me for re-litigating GroverHaus.

But did he/does he still live in that house? It can't have been fun/comfortable to live in. It was probably even only barely functional.

Did he sell it and move somewhere nice? Is he renting it out?

I only ask because I am a bad person with an interest in prurient internet gossip from years ago.

As of a couple of years ago. If you've seen how wildly out of place it is among the cookie cutter McMansions that grew up around it, I would imagine any new owner would bulldoze the whole thing and rebuild.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

As of a couple of years ago. If you've seen how wildly out of place it is among the cookie cutter McMansions that grew up around it, I would imagine any new owner would bulldoze the whole thing and rebuild.

Honestly, I would keep it standing simply because it looks absolutely hilarious.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

As of a couple of years ago. If you've seen how wildly out of place it is among the cookie cutter McMansions that grew up around it,

This just makes me think Grover knew something we didn't all along. I wish I could devalue my neighbors property the way his Haus must.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Honestly, I would keep it standing simply because it looks absolutely hilarious.

Unfortunately a big part of why it attracted so much mockery is because it's an obvious safety hazard and constructed bafflingly poorly. (insulated stairs and all)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Did he ever explain the rationale for insulating the steps?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The thing is about architecture is that form follows function. There's an entire art, albeit an almost forgotten one, of making buildings that look good and function as a home, workplace or whatever else they're meant to do, which make buildings that stand the test of time as they continue to be useful even as the times change and have an aesthetic that clearly works. You can make a functional building and then slap facades on it with varying levels of success, or a pretty looking building that's an absolute pain in the rear end to actually move around or in. (the latter being most modern 'architecture', what happens when the entire field is now trust fund babies who went into it because it's the cool job on sitcoms)

Groverhaus is an absolute mess with a design that'll make even your average casual glance go 'Wait a minute...' as they double take, with the mismatched windows, weird angles and things you rarely see but don't necessarily know why they're rare. (Such as, windows are typically not put at the bottom of stairs, for reasons that a little thought of slapstick comedy will make very clear) The in-process pictures just add more to this- there's so many details that make no sense even when you know nothing about construction, and I imagine asking innocent questions about them got no productive answers.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The thing is about architecture is that form follows function. There's an entire art, albeit an almost forgotten one, of making buildings that look good and function as a home, workplace or whatever else they're meant to do, which make buildings that stand the test of time as they continue to be useful even as the times change and have an aesthetic that clearly works. You can make a functional building and then slap facades on it with varying levels of success, or a pretty looking building that's an absolute pain in the rear end to actually move around or in. (the latter being most modern 'architecture', what happens when the entire field is now trust fund babies who went into it because it's the cool job on sitcoms)

Groverhaus is an absolute mess with a design that'll make even your average casual glance go 'Wait a minute...' as they double take, with the mismatched windows, weird angles and things you rarely see but don't necessarily know why they're rare. (Such as, windows are typically not put at the bottom of stairs, for reasons that a little thought of slapstick comedy will make very clear) The in-process pictures just add more to this- there's so many details that make no sense even when you know nothing about construction, and I imagine asking innocent questions about them got no productive answers.

which is why jeffrey should buy groverhaus and turn it into the something awful forums museum

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Living with wildly self absorbed diy'ers will teach you that they laugh at the idea of hiring professionals or "licensed" contractors and insist they can do everything themselves with some day laborers.

What they end up doing is putting out repairs and renovations that look decent at best, but they skip tons of the parts of the process they don't see as useful because in their mind it does nothing. Getting quotes from companies "yeah we'll do A-G, it'll cost $20k" and then wanting to do it themselves but skipping steps B, D and F because they think those steps aren't important.

The end result is rather then new wood flooring that should last 30 years, it'll go to poo poo in 8-10, and if they ever want to sell the house all their amateur DIY home designs have to be gutted and redone to a professional quality because no one is going to pay mid 6 figures for a house that needs 3-6 months of major renovations just to get it back to a decent long term quality standard.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

which is why jeffrey should buy groverhaus and turn it into the something awful forums museum

"Tragedy today as one visitor to a local museum flushed the toilet while another turned on the sink, causing the museum to collapse completely. Authorities are uncertain how many are dead, but at this hour the only confirmed survivor is a cat seen fleeing from the wreckage with his tail on fire"

We do have a lovely construction megathread elsewhere, and it has ruined my life by making me count the gables on every lovely mcmansion I see.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Carthag Tuek posted:

whats the over/under on post quality re: buying liters of noname whiskey at the gas station with patreon money?

The over/under is 5 on that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The thing about KM is it was so much stuff that kept getting stacked up in the category of marginalized that it was both difficult to point out anything weird without being accused of racism, and pretty not cool to call bullshit on something like her talking about needing money while struggling to quit drinking because you assume only a total monster would lie about that to build internet cred.

Most of the earliest threads that attracted a lot of the fyad skepticism have been memory holed but one of her original claims about needing the laptop/Photoshop licenses was that in her job as a social media something her boss wouldn't pay the $200 adobe fee so she had to do it herself and couldn't afford it or something, necessitating begging for both a slick editing laptop (as part of her social justice project on her now scrubbed youtube channel) and the licenses.

All of that was added on to the whole "hey, I'm poor, like section 8 housing poor can't afford food" and its just sort of built up from there until she was the sassy gif black girl mod who only bigots and racists had a problem with and fyad was a secret cabal trying to doxx her.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

pentyne posted:

All of that was added on to the whole "hey, I'm poor, like section 8 housing poor can't afford food" and its just sort of built up from there until she was the sassy gif black girl mod who only bigots and racists had a problem with and fyad was a secret cabal trying to doxx her.

She also indirectly managed to poison the whole forums atmosphere for a while with the War Against the FYADs that some are still litigating on almost every subforum, a saga unto itself.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The crazy thing is that the whole KM saga isn't unique at all, seems like a slightly more modern expression of a pretty old at this point playbook of internet manipulation tactics. Well, not just the internet, but they rely heavily on A: having considerable control over what people know about you and what you tell them, 2: becoming a major figure of a community, and thirdly, positioning yourself as a figure of sympathy in opposition to a nebulous but despicable opposition that requires an immediate, unthinking call to action.

All the other tactics flow from there; creating sockpuppets that boost your opinions (or sometimes, act as the enemies you say you oppose), using existing divisions as wedge issues, appropriating other people's problems as your own, encouraging people to help you for increasingly nebulous reasons to get them invested, working the refs and sucking up to authority figures, and even cherrypicking and fabricating evidence of the dire cabal of enemies from whom you are under constant threat. A lot of tactics in common with Helldumping, and tends to turn on itself in the end for similar reasons.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Yeah, all in, the KM stuff only stood out because she was a moderator. If she didn't have power over regular posters, the whole affair would have just been "goon A cons fellow goons into paying for goon A's trip to wakandacon, goon B ends up being goon A's alt". It's that crucial insertion of "goon A cultivates hate-following due to percived abuse of moderator powers, attempts forums administration coup, fails, ejects, fails at gaining traction in offsite" injected in the middle there that makes it a memorable saga instead of a Leper's Colony footnote.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

barbecue at the folks posted:

She also indirectly managed to poison the whole forums atmosphere for a while with the War Against the FYADs that some are still litigating on almost every subforum, a saga unto itself.

Not to mention all the dozens of offsites and Discords. It's crazy how far the perception of FYAD as a bunch of nazis spread and how deeply it has stuck to people's minds even after KM was revealed to be grifter only out for admin power and most of her squad vanished in the wake of the fallout.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
km's behaviour was absurd and she was responsible for a lot of people being hurt, but i still think it's unfair to dismiss her completely as only in it for her own ego. her motivation was to make the forums a less bigoted place. how she went about this was (very) flawed, and many of her actions ended up being self-serving, but we have no reason to think she didn't believe wholeheartedly in what she was doing, nor that she misrepresented herself in any way. the way women of colour are treated on the internet sucks, and most of the abuse km claimed to receive was real; and her crew of legitimately marginalised-irl posters had also individually copped a lot of abuse in their lifetimes, which was real too. i'm not excusing how they all acted, it was a deeply unfortunate situation, but they still deserve some sympathy and understanding of their perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ruflux posted:

Not to mention all the dozens of offsites and Discords. It's crazy how far the perception of FYAD as a bunch of nazis spread and how deeply it has stuck to people's minds even after KM was revealed to be grifter only out for admin power and most of her squad vanished in the wake of the fallout.

People are still re-litigating the FYAD stuff. It's loving insane.

The only FYAD posters who are still actually banned are the ones who went on "ironic" LGBT-phobic rants and poo poo, so, good riddance imo.