Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

munce posted:

And plasma doesn't explain the many close up sightings of actual craft, not balls of plasma.

Yeah I don't think a ball of plasma would maintain a constant shape because what if a low pressure air cell gets in front of one of the lasers or a bird flies through it? The ball would deform for a second. Also some of them have weird shapes and maintain pace with aircraft going hundreds of miles an hour in the middle of the ocean, which seems like it would be hard for a pair of ships to do because of ocean waves moving the ships. Plasma balls in the desert (good air for lasers!) near the air force base where they were testing plasma stealth makes sense, but not the tic tacs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

"Maybe the military's are pretty fancy" is basically all I can come up with for that

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Why would they point lasers at military craft and risk blinding expensive pilots instead of just having someone with authority tell them to get the gently caress out.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
i love how over decades the skeptic explanation has gone from actually believable nuke detecting "weather" balloons to the military crossing lasers in the sky making plasma ball shows or holograms

Goast has issued a correction as of 16:23 on Jun 3, 2021

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

holographic tardigrades

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Log082 posted:

Why would they point lasers at military craft and risk blinding expensive pilots instead of just having someone with authority tell them to get the gently caress out.

Obviously the military is using their billions of dollars of laser budget to make a fake ufo scare so they can get enough money for more lasers, culminating in the best drat fourth of july you ever saw!

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Ufos are the “planes” that did 9/11 on the wtc

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
pink floyd laser shows are pretty old-hat at this point if these motherfuckers are hiding some new pretty light tech im gonna be mad

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Lampsacus posted:

Frigging plasma laser pointer
https://www.wired.com/2007/05/plasma-laser-uf/
Researchers working with high-power laser weapons discovered that they could create a glowing ball of fire in the sky by crossing the beams of two powerful infrared lasers…By moving the laser beams around the sky, the researchers found they could shift the plasma ball back and forth at very high speed…. At night, they demonstrated their skills, flying their glowing creations in formation high above the cold desert.

This is from a 2007 article pointing back to a report/info from the 1980s. And it fits these reports precisely. If I was a gambling man, I would put everything on this being the occurrences.

If this were the case, I would expect the objects to show super hot on FLIR. Not sure but I thought the objects appeared cold in the FLIR footage, let's double check that. I would also expect Fravor to have described the tic-tac as a "glowing ball of light" or that it left trails in his vision when he looked away. He describes none of this. It also isn't in keeping with the description of the two little feet sticking out the bottom.

mycomancy posted:

Uh, plasma would very much show up on radar.

Plasma very much would not show up on radar. All those free electrons will absorb the poo poo out of your radar waves and become even more plasma-y.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

What if it isn't aliens but it's a weirdo physics phenomenon that lets us make super spaceships or whatever

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Rickshaw posted:

If this were the case, I would expect the objects to show super hot on FLIR. Not sure but I thought the objects appeared cold in the FLIR footage, let's double check that. I would also expect Fravor to have described the tic-tac as a "glowing ball of light" or that it left trails in his vision when he looked away. He describes none of this. It also isn't in keeping with the description of the two little feet sticking out the bottom.
Plasma very much would not show up on radar. All those free electrons will absorb the poo poo out of your radar waves and become even more plasma-y.

you can use plasma to make antennas that receive or transmit radio waves and radar uses radio EM frequencies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_antenna

it's not a stretch to think the military could of secretly mastered the ability to create radio frequency transmitting plasmas without the use of a physical containment kajigger

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Marzzle posted:

you can use plasma to make antennas that receive or transmit radio waves and radar uses radio EM frequencies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_antenna

it's not a stretch to think the military could of secretly mastered the ability to create radio frequency transmitting plasmas without the use of a physical containment kajigger

Wouldn't that mean they'd have to fly a plasma antenna generator around at 13000 mph? At that point the plasma antenna is kind of secondary in terms of advanced technology.
The thing you're talking about would need a magnetic containment field for the plasma antenna and a ufo

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

alls I'm sayin is that plasma isn't necessarily radar transparent and can basically do whatever with radio frequencies

Dastardly_Crapsack
Oct 17, 2008
It's pronounced plahsma

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Glowing Orbs, yes could be

Metallic craft with physical features, no

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

the plasma stuff is just the ball lightning "explanation" but with extremely expensive extra steps

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

The Protagonist posted:

Glowing Orbs, yes could be

Metallic craft with physical features, no

the startling variety of objects and entities that people report sort of mandates the discussion be narrowed down, and yeah plasma is a good explanation for man made light orbs. but maybe the orb kicks on around the craft when you put the saucer in gear? youve got to admit lots of folks talk about heat and there have been a few cases with measurable radiation contamination.

Bullfrog posted:

the plasma stuff is just the ball lightning "explanation" but with extremely expensive extra steps

if we have managed to reproduce natural phenomena that we barely understand there is a bigger story there thats much more interesting than "swamp gas"

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

interesting non-answer from these nasa dudes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HcNDygdREY

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

where is the plasma stored?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

plasma is stored in the spheres

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

the transdimensional airborne noosphere entity or TANE-ORB

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

pancake rabbit posted:

interesting non-answer from these nasa dudes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HcNDygdREY

I like how the lady at the end has the same take as fravor

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
just finished “oceanic” by greg egan and there was a funny story where extraterrestrial visitors from a galaxy-spanning pan-species post-mortality civilization refuse to even consider allowing a technologically advanced but non-spacefaring buglike species to join them because the buglike species are obsessed with killing each other. i thought it was rude of the aliens to deny the bugs, but the bug people made a really strong argument that they would try to kill everyone they found in space lol.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Zisky posted:

That's the thing, right?

You've got the same descriptions over the course of decades from multiple air forces, civilians, types of aircraft, cameras, infrared, flight radar, ground radar, ship radar, visual contact, etc.

Occam's Razor comes into play at some point here imo.

yeah

and then there are the sightings that go back centuries, of weird rear end poo poo that is definitely not birds and maybe not swamp gas lol

UFO sightings are not a modern thing, though they often get presented that way

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

blatman posted:

i have enclosed a picture of three of the heroes who will save humanity from the invaders

save us, Astro!

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Zisky posted:

I watched the space shuttle mounted to a 747 do a low pass over the beach through a cinematic camera with a long Panavision zoom lens mounted on a 50' crane, on a clear day, and the picture quality wasn't anything to write home about.

The idea that someone could get even a slightly detailed video of a high altitude fast moving object on their smartphone, especially at night, is insane.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Rah! posted:

yeah

and then there are the sightings that go back centuries, of weird rear end poo poo that is definitely not birds and maybe not swamp gas lol

UFO sightings are not a modern thing, though they often get presented that way

how come back in the day the ufo sightings were battles in the sky but now they just briefly destealth for 15 seconds in front of navy pilots. i want to see a cool ufo battle. i wonder if all those aliens killed each other

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the uaps that appear are rescue operations conducted by myriad civilizations looking for survivors holding out in hiding on this old battlefield after the hyperwar that ended a couple centuries ago

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/astro_wright/status/1400594295330066442?s=21

https://twitter.com/david_kipping/status/1400595409945440259?s=21

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

If your job is believing in aliens then I suppose it makes sense to worry about the borg or whatever, but I'm also fine with being ground up and used as nutrient slurry for the invading alien army

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

yeah i think we should be shouting at the top of our lungs right now so to speak

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

we sent a dick pic out of the solar system. Next we should constantly be asking other planets to text us back

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UCPwlNd3Js&t=86s

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

report scoop

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1400602659107844099

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Crusader posted:

yeah i think we should be shouting at the top of our lungs right now so to speak

We already are aren't we; like we're blasting tv and radio signals all over

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

im always curious in these situations and can't tell with the online version. Do you know if this showed up in print? Is there an easy way to tell how buried it is? Doesn't seem like literal nyt headline news, ofc, just not sure what it would look like to nomies who still get their papers via paper. buried on A10 next to an add for footlocker? who knows

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

It was always gonna be this op

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Inspector Hound posted:

We already are aren't we; like we're blasting tv and radio signals all over

they don't make it very far before degrading into noise

sending signals that can actually be identified as containing information once you're outside of earth's nearest neighbors isn't nearly as easy as turning up the tower at the radio station

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Justin Tyme posted:

Yeah, this was always gonna be the culmination of that report that'll drop later this month. Basically "yeah, poo poo's weird" *shrug*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Justin Tyme posted:

correct