Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Solemn Sloth posted:

How many people have coached a premiership at a club they used to play for? Beveridge, Worsfold, Williams spring to mind but beyond that not sure.

Paul Roos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Barassi (special case), Walls

Chifley
Nov 4, 2009
David Parkin's first flag as a coach with the hawks.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Umpires are hosed in the head

Seven seasons and no improvement at all, two doggies goals from blind umpires, holding in the ruck and touched in the goalsquare but nah just ignore it

Plus a dozen really poo poo non-calls for holding

drunkill fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Oct 28, 2022

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I notice that you didn't complain about the two goals that Carlton got from frees directly in front, meanwhile the HTB that resulted in a goal to the Bulldogs was because the Carlton defender made no attempt to get rid of it. Or the extremely dodgy HTB on the siren where you absolutely wouldn't have been complaining about it if the Carlton forward had the legs in her to kick it.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Either way the standard of umpiring across all leagues is shithouse, too many rules of the week or tiggy touch wood frees being called one way but not the other.

Also Carlton won the free kicks and were 7 up at 3 quarter time.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Testekill posted:

I notice that you didn't complain about the two goals that Carlton got from frees directly in front, meanwhile the HTB that resulted in a goal to the Bulldogs was because the Carlton defender made no attempt to get rid of it. Or the extremely dodgy HTB on the siren where you absolutely wouldn't have been complaining about it if the Carlton forward had the legs in her to kick it.

The call on the siren was dumb, and would have made up for some of the poo poo umpiring had it been a goal.

Alas.

But the second doggies goal was touched clearly and the first blackburn goal was a direct result on a non-paid obvious ruck infringement 35m out. Sure, we'd probably still have lost but we'd have had a much larger lead to hold on and build upon instead of going into half time tied (or perhaps the doggies would have kicked a different goal anyway) but it's amateur stuff, the shocking umpiring is causing players to not develop. Why should they learn to tackle properly when tackles are rarely rewarded? Why would they learn to handball when incorrect disposals isn't called.

Fix the basic football umpring and the skills will improve immensely. It has been 5 years and old guard players are beginning to retire, the kids missed two years (in victoria) to covid and are underdeveloped and the upcoming draft is the rejects looked over from the last draft so teams down the bottom will miss out on a gun player with picks 1-6 or so.

Also I had hoped we'd lose by 45 points or more and get our coach sacked, so to lose by 3 is worse.

Gil got the league set up and cemented his legacy trophy, he'll always be known as the guy who got AFLW up and running early. Even if all attention was dropped by the league after the first two years or so other than adding teams. Lets hope the next AFL ceo will at least take an interest in it and provide a fair full length season (doubtful)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

How many people have coached a premiership at a club they used to play for? Beveridge, Worsfold, Williams spring to mind but beyond that not sure.

Heaps in the old days, like Bob Davis, Reg Hickey, Tom Hafey, Dick Reynolds and Ron Barassi

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

You Am I posted:

Heaps in the old days, like Bob Davis, Reg Hickey, Tom Hafey, Dick Reynolds and Ron Barassi

Allan Jeans too

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Jesualenko

Although he was coaching while playing at the time

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Not looking forward to playing Adelaide first week, really looked like the Dees would snatch top spot from Brissie for a minute there

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

North going with the "giving a Bowey a debut just before finals" tactic a run as well I see (it's his sister this time)

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

snaeksikn posted:

Not looking forward to playing Adelaide first week, really looked like the Dees would snatch top spot from Brissie for a minute there

I thought they were going to take it!

Adelaide are massively out of form at the moment, so Melbourne are a pretty good chance to knock them off. Looks like it's going to be a Friday night match.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

You Am I posted:

Worsfold, you could argue Mark Williams

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/BulldogsW/status/1587353754658951170

Alice Edmonds for AA ruck.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

That’s good-rear end ruck work, holy smokes

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

harperdc posted:

That’s good-rear end ruck work, holy smokes

It's wild how much she has come on this season. The best thing is that she freed up Moody to play out of full forward to replace Huntington while Gabby Newton replaced Toogood.

edit: She's also leading the rucks for tackles as well.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Nov 1, 2022

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Cya Castore, you were poo poo.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Go Dees

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
As expected, Melbourne too strong for Adelaide today. I thought we might be able to snatch it after that fast start, but as soon as Melbourne switched on we couldn't transition the ball into the forward line.

Chelsea Randall is brave as gently caress, but geez, they need to just force her to play in defence. On ball or up forward she just throws herself around too much and gets hurt! The poor woman is going to break herself in half one of these days.

Melbourne vs Brisbane has the potential to be a brilliant grand final.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I fuckin love the run that both Mackin and Bannan brought tonight, so good.

Great effort by the girls after getting rattled early by a seriously good side. Should dispel any worries that our soft back end of the season will harm us.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

When Bannan gets cooking she's such a great talent to watch.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
:lol: at Geelong going down to North Melbourne after kicking 1.8.

Richmond vs North should be a genuinely good contest next week. Can't see either of them giving Melbourne a scare in the prelim, though.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
League sanctioned softdrink chat

https://twitter.com/cleary_mitch/status/1590160038152523776?t=GV6MQeUKrsBd89tjl4ev1w&s=19

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieIUrS7F9Mo

This poo poo was so bad.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Shouldabeen kirks

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Solo is pretty good

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Solemn Sloth posted:

Solo is pretty good

Far superior to Lift

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Gawn said in an interview that we’re paying about half of what Grundy was previously on. Great deal if even close to true imo

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Schweppes Miraculous Marks

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A Schweppes AFL sponsorship now means those in the corporate boxes can get official AFL Passiona.

Which can only be a good thing, no?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Now off season soft drink chat is more on topic than ever before.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Walla :unsmith:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Our best player Chelsea Randall passes the concussion tests and is ruled fit to play, AFL steps in and overturns the medical decision based on optics, get hosed

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

Our best player Chelsea Randall passes the concussion tests and is ruled fit to play, AFL steps in and overturns the medical decision based on optics, get hosed

Is that what happened though? Quoting from the AFC article (if there is other info out there I'm not aware of it):

quote:

Randall suffered a knock to the head in the closing stages of last week’s loss to Melbourne and she underwent appropriate testing, which cleared her of any adverse effects at the time.

However, Adelaide has since been supplied fresh vision of the incident and the Club’s medical team, in consultation with the League’s medical experts, has decided Randall will not play.

“While she has not presented with any symptoms, we have now seen vision showing different angles of the incident that according to Club and League medical experts gives grounds for her to not play under the AFL’s concussion rules.

It sounds like the club was very much on board with ruling her out, albeit based on footage that apparently the league has but the clubs didn't??

In any event, it's tough to get too worked up over it since I can't see any way the Crows will knock off both Brisbane and Melbourne to win another flag this season. We might get over Collingwood, but we're just not in good enough form to progress any further than that.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

cmndstab posted:

Is that what happened though? Quoting from the AFC article (if there is other info out there I'm not aware of it):

It sounds like the club was very much on board with ruling her out, albeit based on footage that apparently the league has but the clubs didn't??

In any event, it's tough to get too worked up over it since I can't see any way the Crows will knock off both Brisbane and Melbourne to win another flag this season. We might get over Collingwood, but we're just not in good enough form to progress any further than that.

It was enforced by the league, Randall had a presser about it today and wasn't happy

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I agree, Gil McLachlan is evil for

*checks notes*

Preventing brain damage

The crows coach literally said at the start of the press conference that once the crows medical team saw the additional vision provided by the AFL, they agreed she can’t play based on the concussion protocol

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 10, 2022

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

It was enforced by the league, Randall had a presser about it today and wasn't happy

Randall wasn't happy about being sent off at the end of the game either, but it was probably the right call.

In any event, got a timecode for her being upset about it? I'll go and see the context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
More VIC bias against SA!! Anyways, let’s hold an entire round in SA next year