Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Drunk driving is actually good.

:golfclap: av/post combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
According to the UFC's court filing, they paid a non-refundable $25K deposit to reserve MSG, probably to really make sure that standing is established this time.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

If I am reading this correctly, I actually don't like the legal precedent that a multi-million-dollar corporation can knowingly pay thousands of dollars to attempt an activity they are aware is illegal, and then use this fact to say the law has someone unjustly hurt their business practices and have the law overturned in response.

That said, the law being overturned is incredibly awful so it is good in this specific instance.

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 30, 2015

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Bluedeanie posted:

If I am reading this correctly, I actually don't like the legal precedent that a multi-million-dollar corporation can knowingly pay thousands of dollars to attempt an activity they are aware is legal, and then use this fact to say the law has someone unjustly hurt their business practices and have the law overturned in response.

That said, the law being overturned is incredibly awful so it is good in this specific instance.

I think you meant the second legal to mean illegal? Anyways, you need significant standing to fight certain cases and apparently they are trying to say that the UFC doesn't have standing to contest the NYC MMA ban because it technically hasn't directly harmed them. Losing money directly effects the UFC and in theory should grant them standing to more aggressively pursue lifting the ban. The fact they need to spend money to be granted such a position is indeed sort of stupid but standing is a complicated mechanism.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I just want to see Jon Jones throw elbows again and shut DC up.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Seltzer posted:

I think you meant the second legal to mean illegal? Anyways, you need significant standing to fight certain cases and apparently they are trying to say that the UFC doesn't have standing to contest the NYC MMA ban because it technically hasn't directly harmed them. Losing money directly effects the UFC and in theory should grant them standing to more aggressively pursue lifting the ban. The fact they need to spend money to be granted such a position is indeed sort of stupid but standing is a complicated mechanism.

Yes, and thank you - that makes more sense when explained that way.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bluedeanie posted:

If I am reading this correctly, I actually don't like the legal precedent that a multi-million-dollar corporation can knowingly pay thousands of dollars to attempt an activity they are aware is legal, and then use this fact to say the law has someone unjustly hurt their business practices and have the law overturned in response.

The law isn't being overturned because it's costing them money, it's being overturned (if it happens) because it's unconstitutionally vague and/or contrary to the first amendment. Them spending money so they can demonstrate it hurts their business is just them having to demonstrate they have standing. This isn't "precedent" because it's how the law already works.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
UFC September: All Roads Lead to Law Talk

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

El Roncho posted:

Robbie Lawler should fight Court McGee With Crocop at ringside.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

The sentence is lighter than you expected because you don't know what sentences people get for things because you've never thought about it outside the context of law and order episodes where basically the guy is shot into space at the end of every episode.

Ahahahaha I love this post. I should send it to my mom.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Eat This Glob posted:

I thought coke was usually snorted off a mirror?

This is an excellent post.

El Roncho posted:

UFC October: Mark Hunt Is Somehow A Functional Human Being

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
So... is anyone else hyped for the card this weekend? Despite being for a fake belt, I'm pretty loving pumped for DC-Gus and the rest of the card is pretty drat good too.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
It's too bad he's no longer topical enough for "UFC October: Happy Hallman's ween"

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
DC and Gus have some unbelievably forced twitter trash talk that involves Halo that is so shameful I don't even want to read it again or post it in this thread

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Bluedeanie posted:

If I am reading this correctly, I actually don't like the legal precedent that a multi-million-dollar corporation can knowingly pay thousands of dollars to attempt an activity they are aware is illegal, and then use this fact to say the law has someone unjustly hurt their business practices and have the law overturned in response.

This isn't a weird new legal precedent. Courts do not like hypothetical constitutional questions on the law, they want an actual victim who has suffered actual damages from the law before they are willing to look at whether the law is constitutional.

The UFC is literally required to do this to challenge the law, and their case was tossed earlier this year precisely because they could not show real, actual damages from the law.

efb, twice

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

-Atom- posted:

DC and Gus have some unbelievably forced twitter trash talk that involves Halo that is so shameful I don't even want to read it again or post it in this thread

It read to me like the same person is running both of their accounts, and just posting tweets according to a script.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
UFC October: Boo(oooooooooo)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Memento posted:

It read to me like the same person is running both of their accounts, and just posting tweets according to a script.

DC: I'm going to beat your rear end, nerd.

Gus: Are you really? Are you really?

DC: Master Chief.

Gus: Oh drat son. It's on.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

lmao

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
So Johny Hendricks is basically better than Tyron Woodley at everything right

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

Incredible

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

lol

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
I thought the HALO 5 logo randomly popping up on the embedded was bad. this is atrocious.

look at what the reebok deal has reduced them too.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I prefer Frankie Edgar's unforced plugs for Pino's Pizza and AutoTrader

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Tyron Woodley is better at not weighing in while fat

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

yeah but Woodley is "athletic" (in the racism sense of what it means)

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Tyron complains significantly less and also was in Straight Outta Compton

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Otoh Woodley put Condit out for over a year while Johny had a fight of the year candidate with him so gently caress Tyron Woodley.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Daniel Cormier posted:

@AlexTheMauler Stepping into The Octagon is your 1st mistake. Even w/ Cortana, you’ll still need a doctor when I’m done w/u #UFC192 #Halo5

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

lol

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I bet MMMMMDJ wishes he got in on these sweet Halo bucks

Also blame Reebok for this poo poo, last year they could've just had a dumb Halo logo on the trunks instead of these wolf ticket tweets

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Bisping is out of 193 due to an injury

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Send in Uriah Hall

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Dillashaw vs Cruz on 1/17 will be in Boston. Pettis vs Alvarez will be the co-main.

edit: also Browne/Mitrione and Boetsch/Herman

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

:barf:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Northjayhawk posted:

Bisping is out of 193 due to an injury

This is good news. There was a chance that Whittaker could have used his new found power and speed and memorably killed him, but it was also likely that Bisping would have just circled away throwing 1-2s the whole time. Throw in Uriah Hall.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

haha

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground

This owns. Just like we should all own #Halo5 when it comes out on 10/27

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Gonna dress up as Mark Hunt's dad for Halloween

Can't think of much scarier than that.

• Locked thread