Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I really like my Proto/Blackhawk sockets. USA made, decent price, they seem to fit very well. Never had a problem with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have 2 sets of HF impact sockets and I've used several friends sets of regular HF sockets and been happy with them. Significantly better than the junk grade Walmart sockets I started my gearhead career with, I'd say at least the equal of modern day Stanley and Craftsman. The color coded coating on the fully colored chrome ones flakes off after a while, but the sockets themselves are good.

E: their larger spot welder is good too, though the tip alignment adjustment methods leave something to be desired. I've put together an entire house worth of custom HVAC duct fittings with it and been very happy, it's saved me at least the purchase price if not far more. I wish they sold replacement tips, but they seem to be available on eBay for cheap.

kastein fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 22, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My fear for the HF ones wasn't so much breaking as being too loose in their tolerances and rounding the bolt, but it sounds like that's not an issue

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I’ve had my HF impacts for a decade. I use them regularly, but not daily. They are just getting to the point where the 17/19/21 are due for replacement.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've broken more Craftsman sockets than HF ones. Years ago HF changed their innhouse labeling and clearance out the impact stuff for like 75% off so I have 3 mostly complete sets of metric impacts that I almost never use anymore.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
As long as it says made in Taiwan, Harbor Freight is more than enough for the average casual mechanic.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

For my impact I bought a set of Neikos off Amazon and have been happy with them. They have held up well.
For non-impact use I bought a fairly large Husky socket set from Home Deport several years ago. Those have also held up just fine.
I'm kind of sold on Husky for a lot of that stuff based on my warranty experience with other Husky tools.
Even if you abuse the crap out of it and it fails because you were clearly misusing it, just go in, show the service desk at HD the tool and they'll go have you pick out one that looks about the same. I think the longest it has taken is 5-10 minutes, most of that looking for a matching tool.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

nitsuga posted:

I’ve got the smaller set of these Stahlwille wrenches, and they’re thinner than most but feel oh so nice: https://www.kctoolco.com/stahlwille-10-5-double-open-ended-spanner-set-metric/

Bigger set: https://www.kctoolco.com/stahlwille-10-8-double-open-ended-wrench-set-metric-8-pcs/

Otherwise, the long pattern HF wrenches I had were decent and thinner than most wrenches. Good enough for weekend warrior duty. I like the Stahlwilles more for sure though.

These look great. Their catalog lists dimensions as well which is very nice.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I have plenty of old HF and Craftsman wrenches that have gotten a haircut on the grinder to fit in a tight spot...

Socket Chat: I have a wide variety of sockets, from HF to Snap-On. I've only ever broken Craftsman sockets, and only maybe two of those at that. I can't say there's an appreciable difference among any of them that I can attribute to brand.

I'm a big fan of spline-drive sockets, I have some Matco sets that I love. They bite really well on fasteners that are already a bit fuckered up by rounding them or corrosion.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Big Taint posted:

Socket Chat: I have a wide variety of sockets, from HF to Snap-On. I've only ever broken Craftsman sockets, and only maybe two of those at that. I can't say there's an appreciable difference among any of them that I can attribute to brand.

AVE talked about how Snap On sockets are shallower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cgOVDCT3Zc

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Uthor posted:

AVE talked about how Snap On sockets are shallower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cgOVDCT3Zc

THats so you need to buy more sets, and give more money to "big tool co".

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

What's the deal with craftsman and the lifetime warranty now? I have a ratchet I need to get swapped out it barely can turn anything anymore with out skipping a tooth or 10. I got a set of gear wrench ratchet handles to replace it with for now but I'd still like to swap this guy out. In the past I'd just go to sears and trade it in at the tool counter.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Thumposaurus posted:

What's the deal with craftsman and the lifetime warranty now? I have a ratchet I need to get swapped out it barely can turn anything anymore with out skipping a tooth or 10. I got a set of gear wrench ratchet handles to replace it with for now but I'd still like to swap this guy out. In the past I'd just go to sears and trade it in at the tool counter.

quote:

FULL STATEMENT FROM LOWE'S CORPORATE COMMUNICATIONS:

"we will honor all lifetime warranties no matter where the CRAFTSMAN hand tool was purchased. We ask that customers bring in the item, and we’ll replace it if we have the product. If we do not have the product, customers can call the Customer Care Hotline (883-331-4569)."
Maureen Wallace, Lowe's
https://www.craftsman.com/customer-care/warranty-information

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If we do not have the product, customers can call the Customer Care Hotline (883-331-4569) and they'll tell you to accept a replacement of lesser quality or get fuuuucked. Because we know our tools certainly haven't gotten better since you bought yours.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Today I learned that Ace hardware will honor craftsman warranties also. I had to run some errands that took me past one so I stuck the sickly ratchet in my pocket and asked at the customer service desk. They sent me to find the manager and he swapped it out with one off the rack.
He said it's always the 3/8" ratchet he has to replace.

I got about 10 years out of this one I just swapped.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Are there any deals on socket sets to be had? I'm looking for SAE/Metric, Deep/shallow, and 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive sizes. There was a monster set that was on clearance from Home Depot (I think) awhile back, but I was too slow on it. I have one of those combo sets in a blow-molded container, but I'd like to get a nice set to live in my garage and leave the one with a carrying case in a vehicle.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

um excuse me posted:

If we do not have the product, customers can call the Customer Care Hotline (883-331-4569) and they'll tell you to accept a replacement of lesser quality or get fuuuucked. Because we know our tools certainly haven't gotten better since you bought yours.

Yep. The last time I had a Craftsman tool break was long before Sears gave up the brand. Even then I knew a replacement ratchet wouldn't be as good, and my wife holds some sentimental value to it (belonged to her dad) so I dug up a repair kit on eBay.

Was pretty cheap if I remember correctly, and it was easy to install. It's a pretty nice ratchet, too. Not as fine-toothed as anything modern but fine enough for most things. Long handle with a flex head.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm thinking back to the set my dad bought that had the 1/2" ratchet broken out of the box. At least the replacement has been fine (for the little he uses it).

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

boxen posted:

Are there any deals on socket sets to be had? I'm looking for SAE/Metric, Deep/shallow, and 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive sizes. There was a monster set that was on clearance from Home Depot (I think) awhile back, but I was too slow on it. I have one of those combo sets in a blow-molded container, but I'd like to get a nice set to live in my garage and leave the one with a carrying case in a vehicle.

Tekton/Neiko/Astro are brands on Amazon that seem like a good price/quality balance to me. I also have loads of HF impact sockets that are invincible.

I haven’t used one yet but the HF Icon socket wrenches seem pretty nice for the money. I used a set of Huskys with like 8 teeth for years, awful but indestructible. I had a Craftsman 90-tooth 1/4 wrench for a while, exchanged it a few times because it broke and then I bought a pile of Snap-On wrenches that should last me till the end of time.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Big Taint posted:

Tekton/Neiko/Astro are brands on Amazon that seem like a good price/quality balance to me. I also have loads of HF impact sockets that are invincible.

Can confirm. Tekton and Neiko are definitely good for the money. More than enough for the average home gamer.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Picked up my compressor. It puts out. Well. I can run my hose wide open through my tire inflator and it builds pressure. It will blow out my sprinklers just fine, which was 90% of why I bought it. Just a good clean up and a few maintenance things.... Oil change, I think I'll replace the unloader valve (small leak) and put a decent regulator on it (along with a good hose) and some general bits and pieces and should be good. I can already tell I'm going to be popular with my friends and neighbors in the fall. It will probably indirectly cause my liver to fail lol.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Looks like a stout compressor head and hell yes on Honda GX. Score.

Guess you don't really need much tank storage when you can produce the kind of CFMs that thing looks like it easily puts out.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
What CFM/psi is that thing rated for?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It's a two stage as well. Puts out more than the new double head units I casually looked at. And yeah, the GX is great and 8 gallons is fine. Original owner had a spray-foam business and they actually bypassed the throttle control from the pilot/unloader valve so it ran full tilt all the time. About 5 minutes of jiggering I got it hooked back up and works like a champ other than the small leak around the valve body.

For blowing out irrigation, I'll set the regulator at ~40-50PSI and just let er rip. I tried it out as-is and works absolutely fantastic even with my 1/4" line I cobbled together last year. I'm going to build a new 3/8" hose with a ball valve on the end at work next week to give it a bit more flow with nothing smaller to restrict it from the tank forward. Might need the flow if someone has a big zone with lots of heads.

So to do list:

General clean up
New 3/8 hose (~75-100')
Tank drains
Feet for the frame
Regulator
Unloader valve (I hope that's not hard to find?)
Air filter
Dipstick (no dipstick on it at all!)
Change oil - both motor and compressor
Maybe spark plug.. but runs well so might just inspect and clean
New V-belt, works, just worn. Sheaves look great though

Oil change is going to be messy, the drain plug on the base of the motor has no nipple to extend out past the motor base so it's going to go all over. I'm going to try to squeeze some cardboard or something under it to act as a quasi funnel. Speaking of, anyone know what the drain plug threads are? I'll want to get a 2" nipple to stick in it when I change it. e: 10mm.. of course it's metric, so I won't have a nipple.

Sgt Fox posted:

What CFM/psi is that thing rated for?
IIRC,

~18CFM @ 175PSI
~20CFM @ 40PSI

It's a puffy boy.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 26, 2020

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Holy poo poo, not bad. What'd you end up paying if you don't mind?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

$500, so not *dirt cheap*, but easily $2K+ to replace so I'm OK with that. Runs perfectly fine and is completely usable as-is, but I want to clean it up. It's low enough in height I can store it under my patio when I'm not using it (probably 363 days of the year) so it wont be in my way.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, that's way better than the DeWalt jobsite compressor I bought a few years ago for my house build that cost me nearly as much and only does 5.2cfm. I wish I'd bought a similar fixer upper, especially since it sounds like it works right now, you're just trying to fix it up ahead of time so it doesn't break down in 2 weeks.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Also if I'm not mistaken if the GX shits the bed a HF predator is basically a simple swap.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
What’s the deal with blowing out irrigation lines? To prevent frost damage? (Sorry, can’t remember if you’re in Australia or Canada.)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Pretty much. Water drops can freeze, expand and break poo poo.
Most of the irrigation lines that I've drilled through (accidentally) have been less than 2 feet below the ground, so not deep enough to not freeze come winter.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Also if I'm not mistaken if the GX shits the bed a HF predator is basically a simple swap.

Yeah. They use a lot of the same parts. It's a knockoff.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

E:derp

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 26, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Wesleywillis prertty much nailed it. Here the lines are trenched in, and usually only ~1' or so deep. And even if they are deeper, because the sprinklers have to "pop up" out of the ground, they get very shallow at the sprinkler assembly. So, yeah, way above the frost line and if you don't blow out to get rid of sitting sections of water, when it freezes it will gently caress your poo poo up and then you are digging into your lawn to do repairs. If it's only a few degrees below freezing it's not a big deal, it's more when it starts getting cold enough that the ground begins to freeze. Worst part is you won't know it until the spring when you re-energize the sprinklers and you notice what looks like a new artesian well bubbling away on your property!

Often what some landscapers will do as a side-hustle is rent one of the big tow-behind screw compressors (140-250CFM) like you'd see at a big industrial job site for a week or two and go around neighborhoods for $50-$100 in the fall offering blow out services. They are *way* overkill for home lawn sprinklers, but obviously do the job. The research I've found says 15-20CFM is what's necessary, and you can even do it with a smaller one if you want, like a 110V pancake compressor, but it will take you *forever* as you are just using the air in the little tank. Rinse, repeat. Mine absolutely works perfectly even with the little 1/4" hose I have, more than ample, so putting on a 3/8" I should be golden even for big zones. The home irrigation lines are typically 1/2-5/8... maybe 3/4" dia.

I'm actually toying with the idea of doing for Sept/Oct as a side gig. I already know I'm going to be loading it in the back of my truck for friends and family anyhow, so what the heck. If I can charge $50/house, do a half dozen houses or so a day (probably 30 minutes per) why not?

kastein posted:

Yeah, that's way better than the DeWalt jobsite compressor I bought a few years ago for my house build that cost me nearly as much and only does 5.2cfm. I wish I'd bought a similar fixer upper, especially since it sounds like it works right now, you're just trying to fix it up ahead of time so it doesn't break down in 2 weeks.
Pretty much, and I'll only be using it a handful of days a year so it's not going to be working hard. The Honda should be dead nuts reliable and the compressor itself is pretty basic. For my usage, it should be perfect.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Ordered two 2-ton Big Red jackstands to replace the HF ones I used to have. To my surprise I now instead have two 6-ton Big Red jackstands. Thanks I guess? Way overkill for any car I'll ever have.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

As long as they aren't too large to be useful, it's effectively impossible to overspec jackstands.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

My Quickjacks should be here Wednesday so we will see how that goes. They state you shouldn’t use them to do work under the car but hey can’t be worse than jack stands.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BigPaddy posted:

My Quickjacks should be here Wednesday so we will see how that goes. They state you shouldn’t use them to do work under the car but hey can’t be worse than jack stands.

If they don't have safety lockouts, then yes, yes they can. :v: Pretty sure those do, though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yeah, never, ever, ever rely on hydraulics alone for safety.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, never, ever, ever rely on hydraulics alone for safety.

I have bad news about aircraft landing gear and control surfaces for you.

But about jacks you’re absolutely right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

CarForumPoster posted:

I have bad news about aircraft landing gear and control surfaces for you.

But about jacks you’re absolutely right.

Those, notably, have redundant and completely separate hydraulic circuits, control surfaces cannot be mechanically latched, obviously.

I'm pretty sure most landing gear has mechanical latches, but such questions are hard to find a quick answer for.

Reference: I'm qualified to work on Flight Critical hydraulic systems, bot for airplanes though.