Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
"Self," says I, "Maybe you should pop your head in the Intel thread to see if they have a better idea than the rest of the internet as to when general Ice Lake or next-gen graphics availability is before you pull the trigger on that 2019 LG Gram. Sure wouldn't do to stick your brother on old graphics on his birthday present."

edit: page snipe yooooo.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Intel has slated products with Ice Lake/Sunny Cove/Gen11/whatever that SoC is called at this point for the holiday season this year so you have a while to wait yet before anything with Kaby Lake-R/Whiskey Lake is superseded.

eames
May 9, 2009

a OEM manufacturer published their roadmap for Intel CPUs — it suggests that Elkhart Lake, Comet Lake, Ice Lake U are scheduled for Q2/2020.

https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/03/31/intel-elkhart-lake-processors-2020/ has a link to the PDF

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
My head hurts when I try to decipher anything sensible from post-CFL Intel roadmaps.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Intel just launched a huge amount of enterprise stuff.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14155/intels-enterprise-extravaganza-2019-roundup

In addition to new NICs, FPGAs, and Xeon D, there is also the full Cascade Lake replacement for Skylake-SP. Heres the new stack:

And the new 9200 series stack, which are two dies on one BGA package:

112 threads, 400 watts. Lordy.

https://www.servethehome.com/second-generation-intel-xeon-scalable-sku-list-and-value-analysis/
https://www.servethehome.com/intel-xeon-platinum-9200-formerly-cascade-lake-ap-launched/

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Be aware that the turbo clocks are for a single core. All-core turbos are considerably lower and the binning for which model # can hit what clocks on how many cores is an absolute nightmare where not even the product pricing matches aggregate. Intel releases spec sheets for SOME of their models showing you exactly what clocks its binned for with X # of cores active but they are not good or consistent about disclosing that info.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
God drat I will never get over how harrowing it is to lock down an LGA chip on an Intel board, especially when the board costs as much as the damned chip.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

God drat I will never get over how harrowing it is to lock down an LGA chip on an Intel board, especially when the board costs as much as the damned chip.

No risk no reward, friend

Now please don’t remind me again, I have to fight the impulse to curl into a ball and weep

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like the LGA parts, it seems like it would be easier to drop a cpu and bend a pin on a PGA than one of the contacts in an LGA socket. LGA parts seem pretty hard to gently caress up!

The sockets do worry me as well though.. especially the giant xeon-sp 3647 ones.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

priznat posted:

I like the LGA parts, it seems like it would be easier to drop a cpu and bend a pin on a PGA than one of the contacts in an LGA socket. LGA parts seem pretty hard to gently caress up!

The sockets do worry me as well though.. especially the giant xeon-sp 3647 ones.

It's just that "creak" noise as you bend down the retention arm that inspires that :staredog: feeling.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's just that "creak" noise as you bend down the retention arm that inspires that :staredog: feeling.

Haha oh yeah it’s scary the amount of force that seems to be on that lever.

The SPs have hex screws you have to tighten in a specific order to keep the pressure somewhat equal. At least you can’t overtighten on the boards I have seen, they just stop.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Mmm Socket A.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Sormus posted:

Mmm Socket A.

Socket 7/370/A were a nightmare to mount HSFs on, since virtually all of them is clip-mounted by a LOT of force with a flat bladed screwdriver; one slip-up and the mobo is very likely gonna be an expensive paperweight.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Palladium posted:

Socket 7/370/A were a nightmare to mount HSFs on, since virtually all of them is clip-mounted by a LOT of force with a flat bladed screwdriver; one slip-up and the mobo is very likely gonna be an expensive paperweight.

If you have a nut driver, you can use that instead, and you won't slip.
I have one that's exactly the right size for motherboard stand-offs

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 4, 2019

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I never had a problem with installing heatsinks, but clipped on heatsinks had weight limits. I got significantly worse overclocks once my CPU heatsink exceeded a certain size that all became no problem when I switched to heatsinks that mounted to the motherboard.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Okay, I figure this is as good a place to ask as any because there's almost a 100% certainty of someone in here using the Corsair PRO series AIOs - in specific, the H150i PRO. I just attached the back bracket to my Aorus Xtreme board, and while I screwed up the first time and noticed I'd mounted the bracket horizontally instead of vertically (so the plastic was impacting the rear part of the socket), so I changed it around, and...there's about a 2mm "gap" between the bottom of the standoff screw and the board itself.

Before anyone says it, yes, I'm sure I'm not using the LGA2xxx screws - I'm using the ones for LGA 1151(v2). Just out of morbid curiosity, I unscrewed one of the standoffs and fished out two of the fan washers and lined them up with the hole and *that* made it flush with no movement. But the directions don't tell you to do that. Naturally I'm not too keen on using metal washers to secure the bracket, and it *seems* like the washers are ~1mm in width, so I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to get some hard rubber ~2mm washers at Home Depot.

I just don't know why it's got the 'wiggle' it does by default, and I'm certainly not comfortable mounting a water block on a 9900K if there's chance of movement.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 4, 2019

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Clearly Intel should go back to Slot 1.

They can even call it Slot 2 or something.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Someone did a bunch of early, basic performance measurements of Optane DIMMs
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1903.05714.pdf

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

27GB/s sequential reads and 9GB/s sequential writes when running as persistent storage, holy moly

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

mobby_6kl posted:

Looks like “pentium(r)!!!”.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 5, 2019

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Some Optane DIMM pricing is coming out if you're interested in that
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-optane-dimm-pricing-performance,39007.html
Intel Optane DIMM Pricing: $695 for 128GB, $2595 for 256GB, $7816 for 512GB

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

mobby_6kl posted:

Slot 2 was what Pentium II Xeon used.

I kind of miss slotted CPUs too, though.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Q_res posted:

Slot 2 was what Pentium II Xeon used.
I had a slotket adapter for that! It was the beginning of my experience with weird Chinese hardware that shouldn’t work by any logic, but does anyway.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Kinda funny that we’re comin full circle and splitting off I/O and memory back onto a separate die with a more mature process. Bring back the Slot CPU too, damnit!!

eames
May 9, 2009

mobile coffee lake refresh numbers were leaked, including comedy TDP ratings for the same old 14nm process

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/i5-9300h-i9-9980hk-specs-leaked,39016.html

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Unless they're the same price and it's just for different markets there seems to be no reason to get any of the upgraded processors. Not even a 5% performance difference?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Cygni posted:

27GB/s sequential reads and 9GB/s sequential writes when running as persistent storage, holy moly
So that puts reads into about half or so of direct memory transfers and writes are now just one order magnitude lower rather than almost two, and at lower memory clocks on DDR3 it's straight up faster. Oh yeah, and in a form factor that's roughly the same as the previous generation. I'm trying to think of a use case for it and everything points to secondary caches when you have spare DIMM slots and money. Oh yeah, and unlimited write endurance. Guess it's mostly going to be sold to SAP at this point?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

eames posted:

mobile coffee lake refresh numbers were leaked, including comedy TDP ratings for the same old 14nm process

Hidden takeaway from this is that 6-core gets cheaper since it's no longer top of the consumer stack. That gets people into the multitasking game a lot easier

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

eames posted:

I don't doubt hitting 5GHz single core boost @ 45W TDP.

I do doubt if that is gonna hold for any time more than half a millisecond

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Hidden takeaway from this is that 6-core gets cheaper since it's no longer top of the consumer stack. That gets people into the multitasking game a lot easier

AMD must be really excited after seeing the contents of these leaks.

Unless zen 2 is a complete flop, but if Intel is standing still and the current ryzens are beating Intel's mid range...

eames
May 9, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

AMD must be really excited after seeing the contents of these leaks.

Unless zen 2 is a complete flop, but if Intel is standing still and the current ryzens are beating Intel's mid range...

TSMC is doing so well compared to Intel that the next two Zen designs could be complete flops and AMD would still be competitive

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Palladium posted:

I don't doubt hitting 5GHz single core boost @ 45W TDP.

I do doubt if that is gonna hold for any time more than half a millisecond

Why? assuming stock clocks and voltages there's absolutely no way a single active Skylake+++...+ core even comes close to 45W thermal power no matter how long it runs at 5 GHz.

The single core boost numbers are kinda bullshit for other reasons, but not that. The main other reason: operating systems seldom manage to keep things down to a single core for extended periods of time, so most of the time the cpu's going to select the 2-core multiplier even if, on average, you're only using one core.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Check out all these balllllzz

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14182/hands-on-with-the-56core-xeon-platinum-9200-cpu-intels-biggest-cpu-package-ever

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

sincx posted:

Love to render my soldered-on $25,000 processor useless when my $2,500 motherboard dies.

It's a big iron CPU. If your motherboard is dying, you probably arent replacing it in the first place.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Sending it out to a rework shop would be a minor cost compared to the cpu cost so that would definitely be an option. We get this done a lot with smaller packages and much less expensive parts/boards.

I don’t even know what the max package size they can re-ball though. Should ask the tech who interfaces with the companies who do the work for us. He’d probably freak out over a 5000+ ball BGA :haw: Keeps the layout folks busy though!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Is there an advantage to bga or is it just cheaper/easier to make for a CPU that's never moving?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

ItBreathes posted:

Is there an advantage to bga or is it just cheaper/easier to make for a CPU that's never moving?

Better signal integrity on high speed I/Os, more current per ground or power pin, better thermal conductivity into board power planes.

A 500W cpu probably doesn’t care so much about the last one; relying on the board as a form of heatsink is only for smaller low power chips. It should care a lot about current per pin though. They have to get >500A into and out of that thing!

E: also, sheer pin count. Pretty sure the bga pitch there is much finer than the lga pitch in their socketed chips. Besides power they have an awful lot of DRAM channels to deal with.

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 9, 2019

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

BobHoward posted:

Better signal integrity on high speed I/Os, more current per ground or power pin, better thermal conductivity into board power planes.

A 500W cpu probably doesn’t care so much about the last one; relying on the board as a form of heatsink is only for smaller low power chips. It should care a lot about current per pin though. They have to get >500A into and out of that thing!

Also removes issues related to poor pin contact on the socket when you have thousands of pins. AFAIK that's the main reason the AMD TR4 socket uses that weird multi-stage mounting system and one of the reasons why the W-3175X (which barely has a socket to mount into) is OEM-only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Meanwhile in enterprise land Intel has some slightly more exciting stuff, today was "interconnect day."

400G Silicon Photonics
https://twitter.com/david_schor/status/1115389479714344966?s=19

CXL, basically Intel's answer to NVLink
https://twitter.com/david_schor/status/1115369189177356288?s=19
https://twitter.com/david_schor/status/1115365952034467840?s=19