Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

(Placeholder for a post about the genius merits of tatami from a superior culture)

Tatami tradition isn't why no more than two tile corners touch anywhere in my house but it's like 5% why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Every time she posts I wind up looking at Zillow listings in my hometown and I found this today:

It's not absolute insanity like the stuff she finds but something about the way everything is arranged gives me the ughs. It looks like someone was loving around with a preset home in a design program and it somehow accidentally got built.

It looks like the backdrop of a USA promo. Characters Welcome!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

peanut posted:

(Placeholder for a post about the genius merits of tatami from a superior culture)

Nm don't do that, if your kid spills chocolate milk on tatami just once, it's there forever. It's still nice for lazy summer days, but you're also supposed to replace it every 5-10 years.

One day, they're going to invent hydrophobic tatami with sub-tatami drainage. I'm not sure why I don't do that, I'll be rich.

Oh yeah, starting capital... gently caress.

But seriously, tatami is really nice and if you've never experienced a tatami room, do yourself a favor and experience it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Tatami is overall good, and new houses here are still measured in tatami even if it's all flooring (like ours) because it's so easy so visualize room dimensions.

Real estate listings write both the house and the land in tatami units (2 tatami = 1 tsubo) with some meter conversion but I struggle to visualize square meters accurately.

Size varies by region historically but the building standard is 90x180cm (approx. 3x6 feet). So 1 tatami can fit a toilet, 2 for a shower and bath, 2-3 for a walk-in closet, a 3 tatami room can barely fit a bed, 4.5 is a perfect cozy kid's room, and 6 is the minimum for a "master bedroom."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

peanut posted:

but you're also supposed to replace it every 5-10 years.

Just like the rest of the building.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/aestheticnon/status/961667645815906304

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I remember hating this puzzle in Myst

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Anyone here read music? I don't, but it kinda looks like Old McDonald's E-I-E-I-O to me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

FCKGW posted:

so your living room is just bare concrete/subfloor now?

Yep. Concrete, with a big rug.
Yep, I'm ghetto as hell. Dog likes the cool floor, though.

peanut posted:

Nm don't do that, if your kid spills chocolate milk on tatami just once, it's there forever. It's still nice for lazy summer days, but you're also supposed to replace it every 5-10 years.

My work just installed a tatami meeting room when they remodeled one floor, because our company is nominally Japanese (it based in Japan, but founded by Taiwanese in the USA...)
It's pretty cool, but I weep for the maintenance cost. It's something like 900 sq. ft.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Facebook Aunt posted:

Anyone here read music? I don't, but it kinda looks like Old McDonald's E-I-E-I-O to me.
It reads/sounds a little bit more like hall of the mountain king. Could read it as Fa Re Fa Re Do or La Fa La Fa Me (in Solfa). It's the second that sounds more like Hall of the Mountain King*.

When I did facilities management sometimes we would get outrageously stupid requests from clients. Things like 'need more towel dispensers than currently and they need to be at different heights, ideally height adjustable'. Usually I would go and negotiate a successful outcome but sometimes I was corralled into doing something terrible by a combination of inflexible regulations and intractable users. This looks like one of 'those' times. I usually took my revenge in subtle bullshit passive aggressive ways like writing on their office layout plans that they were complete loving imbeciles in such a small font that you had to load them into CAD and zoom in to read it. Hey I knew it was there!

There was one guy however who invited the full treatment by being utterly intractable. For reasons best understood by our contract lease negotiators some new office space was acquired in what used to be a ball room. It had a 15 m (forty foot) ceiling. The putz in charge was entitled to an enclosed glazed office of about 4 m by 4 m. My choices were therefore:

* To install him in an elaborate cube arrangement. UNACCEPTABLE TO USER
* Build a 4m x 4m x 15m tall glazed office. tempting
* Build a more or less normal office with a roof. Nah. Used the air-conditioning excuse
* Build a 4m x 4m roofless cube/office with glazing but rather than go with modern finishes use old fashioned and cheap wood mouldings AND stand it about 1 meter away from the wall on one side (free standing on the others) Then not paint or finish it. (Ooops did we forget? I'll get right on that!)

The move wasn't even over before the cardboard fish appeared in his windows. Encouraged by these works I arranged to have his door hung so it either slammed open or closed (Both shook the unbraced fish tank) and when he foolishly insisted upon a desk return (the regulations said he was entitled) I neglected to screw it to his desk so when he put down the phone with any enthusiasm the desk return fell over. His regulation entitlement coffee table mysteriously had one leg that was dramatically too short. I found out later that people used to arrange meetings with the guy just to watch him interact with his amazing dancing furniture.

*And when I say 'like' I mean in the general spirit of.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 9, 2018

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
I have best floors: hard wood with underfloor heating. So good

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Cartoon posted:

* Build a 4m x 4m x 15m tall glazed office. tempting

I'm so mad this didn't happen.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Haifisch posted:

Seriously. I don't care how clean you think you are in your bedroom and living room. Your carpet is going to have unholy horrors under it after a few years. At least an area rug can be fully cleaned.

Plus, redecorating if you get tired of the color is a couple hundred bucks instead of the labor to tear up all the baseboards.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm so mad this didn't happen.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You don't have to tear up baseboards to replace carpet.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

cakesmith handyman posted:

You don't have to tear up baseboards to replace carpet.

Sure, if it's installed correctly.

Wouldn't that be a lovely thing, something being installed correctly.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm building a stud wall at home to separate our open plan downstairs into useable rooms and it's taking forever because I keep redoing bits when I look at them and think "I'd curse the PO if I found this in my wall"

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
cakesmith handyman, you are making the world a better place. thank you

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Rnr posted:

cakesmith handyman, you are making the world a better place. thank you

On the other hand, he is sectioning off open floor plan. At best I'd say he is about neutral right now.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

couldcareless posted:

On the other hand, he is sectioning off open floor plan. At best I'd say he is about neutral right now.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770037&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post474751022

Make up your own mind, with kids it suits us to break the space up.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm building a stud wall at home to separate our open plan downstairs into useable rooms and it's taking forever because I keep redoing bits when I look at them and think "I'd curse the PO if I found this in my wall"

There is no one worse than the previous owner.

Especially at cut-ins, goddamn these people couldn't paint, and now I either have to paint like a jackass to match their lines or paint the ceilings which is the worst.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

FogHelmut posted:

Especially at cut-ins, goddamn these people couldn't paint, and now I either have to paint like a jackass to match their lines or paint the ceilings which is the worst.

This is my house exactly. It was SO. BAD. And they had the darkest most hideous gray ever. We hired someone to paint, but I felt so bad for her because the cut-ins were driving her nuts, so I went around the ceiling everywhere she was painting and put up some ceiling paint, feathered it out on the ceiling just a bit, and brought it down the wall so she could cut in from scratch. Worth it: her cuts were legit and now it looks great.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

This is my house exactly. It was SO. BAD. And they had the darkest most hideous gray ever. We hired someone to paint, but I felt so bad for her because the cut-ins were driving her nuts, so I went around the ceiling everywhere she was painting and put up some ceiling paint, feathered it out on the ceiling just a bit, and brought it down the wall so she could cut in from scratch. Worth it: her cuts were legit and now it looks great.

Don't grey shame me :smith:

Before I started working on my house last year I thought it was pretty decent, but it's a crappy construction nightmare in some spots.

Not pictured:
A load bearing wall that was removed over a 12' span and no header installed
A mix of 14/2 and 12/2 run off 20 amp breakers
Old school metal wall boxes with barely any of them grounded
Spare bedroom wall outlets were all on the same switch, but the outlets themselves were strung across two different breakers at the panel
Whoever laid the plywood flooring thought that having the sheets meet on top of a joist was optional

There's probably more and I didn't grab pics of everything, but here's one of what the inside of my outlet boxes generally looked like:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

NatasDog posted:

Don't grey shame me :smith:

Imagine a kitchen, entryway, and a living room that opens to the 2nd floor balcony and hallway, 18' ceiling, nice big windows letting in light, darkly stained cherry cabinetry, a similarly stained banister with pleasant white balusters framing switchback stairs in the corner leading to the upper level, crisp white trim all around...and a hastily-applied grey, not unlike yours, in semi-gloss, screaming to oppress everything around it. It was insane. Dark grey can be fine, but not in such quantities, and not throughout the entire main floor when it's competing with so many other intense colors.

Now we have Benjamin Moore's Sea Froth: a soft, light grey, but with a fair hint of rose in it, super soothing and pleasant. Now the rose tones in the floor and cabinetry are nicely accented instead of having to compete with the walls, the stairs are actually kind of a lovely accent, and the trim against the wall is a soft, pleasing image, instead of the design equivalent of a drunken 40-something ex-coed belting out Michael Jackson's "Black or White" in a tired old karaoke bar.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Imagine a kitchen, entryway, and a living room that opens to the 2nd floor balcony and hallway, 18' ceiling, nice big windows letting in light, darkly stained cherry cabinetry, a similarly stained banister with pleasant white balusters framing switchback stairs in the corner leading to the upper level, crisp white trim all around...and a hastily-applied grey, not unlike yours, in semi-gloss, screaming to oppress everything around it. It was insane. Dark grey can be fine, but not in such quantities, and not throughout the entire main floor when it's competing with so many other intense colors.

Now we have Benjamin Moore's Sea Froth: a soft, light grey, but with a fair hint of rose in it, super soothing and pleasant. Now the rose tones in the floor and cabinetry are nicely accented instead of having to compete with the walls, the stairs are actually kind of a lovely accent, and the trim against the wall is a soft, pleasing image, instead of the design equivalent of a drunken 40-something ex-coed belting out Michael Jackson's "Black or White" in a tired old karaoke bar.

OK, that's definitely a bad use of grey. I needed to darken the ambient light in that room for the projector or I'd have gone lighter myself. I'm honestly pretty happy with my results though, considering I kind of spitballed it together off of a picture I had in my head of what I wanted it to look like.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

This dark greyblue is going to be suffocating in the laundry room, but it wasn't my decision. Maybe I should just creep my line up and paint the ceiling.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Every time she posts I wind up looking at Zillow listings in my hometown and I found this today:

It's not absolute insanity like the stuff she finds but something about the way everything is arranged gives me the ughs. It looks like someone was loving around with a preset home in a design program and it somehow accidentally got built.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg-aGO8Wvx8&t=23s

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

For reference, in regards to my previous comments:

The nook off the kitchen/living room, SO much potential for being light and airy and uplifting. Instead, WEAPONS GRADE DARK GRAY

Before:

After:

Evening:

The pictures really don't do it justice, they don't capture the rose tones in the grey. I'm sitting here now and the sun is shining in and it's just. so. nice.

(We have since put down a rug, as well.)

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

Bad Munki posted:

For reference, in regards to my previous comments:

The nook off the kitchen/living room, SO much potential for being light and airy and uplifting. Instead, WEAPONS GRADE DARK GRAY

Before:

After:

Evening:

The pictures really don't do it justice, they don't capture the rose tones in the grey. I'm sitting here now and the sun is shining in and it's just. so. nice.

(We have since put down a rug, as well.)

As a "CEO" of a "construction company," what I did most of the time was assure customers & clients that their houses would look something like what's in those pictures & that they were getting their money's worth out of the work. Soooo as it turns out it is a lot of sales stuff

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

FogHelmut posted:

This dark greyblue is going to be suffocating in the laundry room, but it wasn't my decision. Maybe I should just creep my line up and paint the ceiling.

I slammed up cove/crown molding when I ran out of patience. However, I happen to have a compound miter saw.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
https://i.imgur.com/IHIOQ8V.mp4

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 10, 2018

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
God that's mesmerizing

cat had the same idea as me in that situation but I'd stick the landing

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
The kitty does some great parkour before landing on its feet.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Am I reading this right that that "deck" was supported by one leg plus however it was "secured" to the house? :magical:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Looks like two legs. One was right next to the house.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Seems like this should be an idiom.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Tunicate posted:

Autocorrect huh? Happens to the best of us. But yeah, whoever built that deck is definitely an idiom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Tunicate posted:

Like in "feeble as a one-legged deck"?