Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BLACKPETEWENTZ
Nov 17, 2008

I'm a plane and you're a train so let's make an automobile

Kakaricho posted:

It might sound strange, coming from someone who subs, but I'd like it if people bought the Japanese DVDs too. Most of the content on them has been subbed already, some of the extras are pretty cool. and it supports the show too.

(And as was pointed out, the yen is currently in the crapper, so it's a good chance to buy them...)

I have been buying the DVDs when I can, for the extras and to support the show. I have DVD Box 10, the Budokan DVD, the movie DVD, and DVD Box 11. (I didn't like the Pooyan episode or Bomb Jack episode that much, but I did like the Castlevania episode.) Though not exactly GCCX related, I even have all of The Game Maker DVDs. I have enjoyed watching them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Everytime I do one of these segments I want to clean up the audio even though the audio problems were entirely on the production end...

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

BLACKPETEWENTZ posted:

I have been buying the DVDs when I can, for the extras and to support the show. I have DVD Box 10, the Budokan DVD, the movie DVD, and DVD Box 11. (I didn't like the Pooyan episode or Bomb Jack episode that much, but I did like the Castlevania episode.) Though not exactly GCCX related, I even have all of The Game Maker DVDs. I have enjoyed watching them.

Pooyan was okay, but a letdown after how great Spelunker (and Castlevania) were, but I almost want to buy another copy of Budokan, it's just so great.
Game Makers is good, I've rented most of them.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Everytime I do one of these segments I want to clean up the audio even though the audio problems were entirely on the production end...

The GCCX Channel episodes would drive you to insanity, the audio is always so poor. Max volume in a quiet room with headphones and I still struggle to hear what's said. It's like Tani's never heard of collar mics...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

The GCCX Channel episodes would drive you to insanity, the audio is always so poor. Max volume in a quiet room with headphones and I still struggle to hear what's said. It's like Tani's never heard of collar mics...

I think Tani handles the booth audio and mixes. Suda is responsible for the on set audio (along with a few other things), but apparently not the location audio which from the shots when the camera spins around they seem to hand it off to an AD.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

I think Tani handles the booth audio and mixes. Suda is responsible for the on set audio (along with a few other things), but apparently not the location audio which from the shots when the camera spins around they seem to hand it off to an AD.

Suda's vanished. His Twitter is gone, and he didn't even have Arino treat him to vending machine soba during Crazy Climber (like before.).
He seems like the most down-to-earth person on this show's staff, and honestly, I'm a bit concerned.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

Suda's vanished. His Twitter is gone, and he didn't even have Arino treat him to vending machine soba during Crazy Climber (like before.).
He seems like the most down-to-earth person on this show's staff, and honestly, I'm a bit concerned.

I had noticed that he has been absent for a little while, but since he was usually the quiet one of the major staffers I didn't think much of it. Now I'm thinking about going back and watching the credits to pin down when he left...

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe he finally got a job closer to home.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Azazell0 posted:

Maybe he finally got a job closer to home.

The only thing around Mt. Takao are people who work in Tokyo.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Maybe one night, he missed the train but caught a fantastic journey.

Gavello
Dec 31, 2014
Just wanted to say thanks to this thread i found the wonderfulness that is the Kacho. I even made an account just to say this (I probably should have had another reason but oh well :shrug: )

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kakaricho posted:

I did Ikki from DVD boxset #2 for /vrgccx/, but I only made a script watching my DVDs, I didn't touch the video files. And I never will, I have a pretty decent life over here, a 10 year prison sentence would sorta crimp that a bit.
It might sound strange, coming from someone who subs, but I'd like it if people bought the Japanese DVDs too. Most of the content on them has been subbed already, some of the extras are pretty cool. and it supports the show too.

(And as was pointed out, the yen is currently in the crapper, so it's a good chance to buy them...)

Thanks to how much I've loved the subbed episodes, I went out and bought the the english DVD for Christmas. It's a little bit harder to justify buying the japanese ones though, because all they would do is sit in my room and look pretty.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Since we're not going to have another episode tonight (I suspect it'll probably be Friday before we can have this monster finished; who knew that I'd wind up having to replace all the interface text in this game?), I feel like you guys deserve a preview:

That's all you get. Pretty much everything else gives the whole thing away.

proxycell
Jul 7, 2012
on the topic of buying GCCX stuff:
i got the english DVD but I also got the music CD for the show as I can enjoy that without knowing the japanese language. the 2nd DS game can be purchased and used with the translation patch now too. I would love to get my hands on the chief's outfit for use at conventions down the line and would LOVE to get my hands on the arino figurine.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Since we're not going to have another episode tonight (I suspect it'll probably be Friday before we can have this monster finished; who knew that I'd wind up having to replace all the interface text in this game?), I feel like you guys deserve a preview:

That's all you get. Pretty much everything else gives the whole thing away.

Well, I know Kakaricho was working on Koushien, so that'll be my guess.

Can't wait for some Inoko Max best-trying!

OrochiKiyo
Sep 9, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

Thanks to how much I've loved the subbed episodes, I went out and bought the the english DVD for Christmas. It's a little bit harder to justify buying the japanese ones though, because all they would do is sit in my room and look pretty.

I think the biggest nuisance to importing the Japanese DVDs is the region locking. A few PC DVD player programs can get around it, or you could rip the discs... unless you happen to have a Region 2 or Region Free player handy (In my case, I can use my JP-region PS2).

I hate me some region locking. :argh:

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
Speaking of text overlays, I just watched the Earthbound Wii U episode, and you guys did great on the overlays for that episode.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Nemo2342 posted:

Where are you buying them from? They're quite cheap from Amazon.co.jp. Plus you get the neat extras, like variations of Arino`s business card.

BLACKPETEWENTZ
Nov 17, 2008

Kakaricho, could I ask, how is the DVD that's included with the "Bandai Namco Special Edition" of the 3DS game? I have noticed that the Special Edition is still available on CDJapan and it's pretty cheap right now. I'm thinking about getting it just for the DVD.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

cubeboy posted:

Speaking of text overlays, I just watched the Earthbound Wii U episode, and you guys did great on the overlays for that episode.

I'll tell you that this episode is turning out to be the most complicated episode yet. It's on pace to beat Derby Stallion and Princess Tomato for sheer quantity of lines in the subtitles.

I thought it was going to be a walk in the park and here I am manually adjusting the placement of interface features every time they briefly appear on screen...

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

BLACKPETEWENTZ posted:

Kakaricho, could I ask, how is the DVD that's included with the "Bandai Namco Special Edition" of the 3DS game? I have noticed that the Special Edition is still available on CDJapan and it's pretty cheap right now. I'm thinking about getting it just for the DVD.

Unless you find someone splitting up a set and selling the game and DVD apart(the monster!), you can't get the DVD separately.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 2, 2015

BLACKPETEWENTZ
Nov 17, 2008

Kakaricho posted:

Unless you find someone splitting up a set and selling the game and DVD apart(the monster!), you can't get the DVD separately.

Yeah, I know it's the game and DVD. :) I don't have a Japanese 3DS so I wouldn't be able to play the game, but I'm interested in seeing the DVD.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kakaricho posted:

Where are you buying them from? They're quite cheap from Amazon.co.jp. Plus you get the neat extras, like variations of Arino`s business card.

It's not so much the price, as it's hard for me to justify buying a DVD that I can't use for its intended purpose (that is, one I can't watch because it doesn't have english audio or subtitles). I wasn't considering the extras though; memorabilia such as versions of Arino's business card makes it a little easier to justify a purchase (so it's more like I'm buying the memorabilia that comes with free dvds).

For anyone else who's curious, the DVDs from Amazon.co.jp around around $44 each, and global shipping to the US is about $9.50 (at least to Alaska). It's definitely worth considering if you're at all interested in purchasing the dvds.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Some info about what's to come from the next year, from the year-straddling 15-minute special (and a partial, barely spell-checked, done-over-day-beers translation of the funnier parts).

- There will be the release of the 4th in a series of adventure books based on the show (I can find very little information on these books, but it seems they're adventure (duh)/RPG style you try and solve a mystery, Choose You Own Adventure Style), with three stores (Aeon Lake Town Saitama (Saitama prefecture), Aeon Mall Okayama (Okayama prefecture), and Aeon Mall Nagoya Chaya (Aichi prefecture) will have events in April and May, run by "A massive fan with a lot of skill, who'll be paid by his own passion!".

- There will (probably!) be an overseas trip on BS-Sky Perfect, run by a first time Producer. When Arino asked where it would be:

- Kan "Well, where do you want to go?"
- Arino "I keep saying this, but I hate going overseas! It's scary when you don't speak the language! So anywhere is fine! So long as I can tick the staff off for a short amount of time."
- Kan "So fundamentally speaking, you don't want to go?"
- Arino "That's right, it's too scary."
- Kan "How about you Abe?"
- Abe "If you're worried about getting by with just Japanese, how about Hawaii?"
- Arino "Hawaii'd be nice!"

(continued, but just more chat. Fujimoto revealed he's never been overseas with the show (scheduling conflicts), to which Arino exclaimed "Even though Kibe get's to go?!")

- Twelve or thirteen of the show's staff turned out for Tani's birthday party

- Arino "Does this have anything to do with Game Center CX?"
- Kan "No, but it just made him so happy we wanted to mention it again."
(Comments on how lonely he is from all)

(reviewing 2014's events)
- Arino "We had the Odaiba event in August, but that's every year. And the TGS booth is every September. So I guess AP Ishida will have a wedding every October too?"
- Kan "Arino..."
- Arino "I know, that was rude!"
- Kan "Well yes, but I'm not going to such a pain-in-the-rear end twice!"

- Arino was finally given a new pair of shoes.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

BLACKPETEWENTZ posted:

Yeah, I know it's the game and DVD. :) I don't have a Japanese 3DS so I wouldn't be able to play the game, but I'm interested in seeing the DVD.

Get a Japanese 3DS? Or maybe become a set-splitting monster?

Kirbychwan
Mar 19, 2009

Nuclear fusion causes confusion!
Ooh, Hawaii trip would be pretty cool.

Poor Tani :(

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Kakaricho posted:

Get a Japanese 3DS? Or maybe become a set-splitting monster?

They were asking if the DVD is any good though. Since they want to get the set just for the DVD.

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

Kakaricho posted:

- Abe "If you're worried about getting by with just Japanese, how about Hawaii?"
- Arino "Hawaii'd be nice!"

So Reykjavik it is then.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Kirbychwan posted:

Ooh, Hawaii trip would be pretty cool.

Jessant posted:

So Reykjavik it is then.

Right after it was suggested, Kan said he confirmed that during his several trips to Hawaii last year that all the retro game places had closed down, so it was no dice. My money is on China or Vegas.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Kakaricho posted:

Right after it was suggested, Kan said he confirmed that during his several trips to Hawaii last year that all the retro game places had closed down, so it was no dice. My money is on China or Vegas.
Minnesota and the MOA. We have a surprising amount of retro game stores and arcades.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I finally watched this with a friend for the first time! We watched Street Fighter 2 (Arino played the game the same way I did and was way better at it), Legend of the mystical ninja and Castlevania 3 (Holy poo poo that was suffering).

Thanks to the translation team for introducing me to an awesome show! Question: How is the Clock Tower episode?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Junpei Hyde posted:

I finally watched this with a friend for the first time! We watched Street Fighter 2 (Arino played the game the same way I did and was way better at it), Legend of the mystical ninja and Castlevania 3 (Holy poo poo that was suffering).

Thanks to the translation team for introducing me to an awesome show! Question: How is the Clock Tower episode?

Clock Tower is great. It's got one of the other great things that poor Arino constantly falls victim to: multiple endings. Highly recommended.

Gavello
Dec 31, 2014

Junpei Hyde posted:

Fantastic, and you'll have 2 options to watch. There's the Japenese Sub as well as it being one of the episodes Kotaku had done if your interested in watching it in English.

Jakespeare
May 10, 2013
*sniff sniff* is that a freshly baked new episode I'm smelling in the oven..? :3

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Next challenge is against Bravoman on the TurboGrafx-16.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bravoman

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
Yes.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
So I completely fell off the wagon regarding watching this like... nearly two years ago I'd say? And I finally decided to pick it back up due to randomly seeing a picture of Arino somewhre and watched the Nosferatu and Software Murder episodes over the weekend.

Are there any stand out best episode/challenges that I should start catching up with?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Some good specials of late: NES Remix, the Budokan special, and the Friendly Downtown Yoiko episode were all fantastic.

Of very recent games I personally liked Tant-R and Super Mario Land.

If it really was two years ago you have missed a lot though, like the USA trip. I would have to say that Nosferatu and Software Murder aren't exactly my top choices of late, so if you are feeling slightly discouraged just keep picking among the recent stuff, a lot of it is better than those two imho.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I think these were in the past 2 years but definitely watch Parappa the Rapper and Legend of the River King 2.

They're both really good for different reasons, you could probably guess why Parappa would be fun, River King on the other hand is really relaxing and just pleasant all around.

Don't watch DKC2 though (jesus christ 3 parts)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Checking the site, some of the last ones I watched were actually the US trip and PaRappa, so I guess it was closer to just one year than two... Though it did just turn to 2015, so it was technically two years ago! :v:

But I was definitely wondering if the DKC2 one was worth watching since the long ones seem to either be really good or really bad.