Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
What is the temperature/breeziness like where you are letting your dough rise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

sweat poteto posted:

Beats me. I did a series of tests to try to figure it out. Tried three different yeasts. Warm and cold water. Purified bottled water. Nada. Bread comes out edible - just - but it just doesn't rise properly. I can make pizzas and indian style flat breads but a good loaf isn't happening :/

Does elevation matter? What's your elevation?

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Mr. Wiggles posted:

What is the temperature/breeziness like where you are letting your dough rise?

This used to be a problem for me. The air conditioner would blow across my entire small kitchen. I solved it by letting the dough rise inside the shut-off oven. It had the side effect of letting me clean the counter off more easily, too.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Examine the factors one by one..

Start with the yeast - i assume that you are of colonial origin and that you're using dry yeast - does it activate properly in a sugar slurry thing?

Do your gluten develop - use one of the easier methods for gluten development like no-knead bread - the you know that you have gluten and the problem may be fixed (in which case you suck at kneading) - wash your dough to figure out how much gluten is in there - bake the gluten to examine your oven for suckiness (you will get pure oven spring then) - it should about triple-quadruple in size if it is pure gluten - examine it by measuring diameter on your gluten ball before and after and do some math.

If it isn't your oven spring - remove factors.

Use cold water instead of hot - let the first proof take 4 hrs
Remove salt
Use beer instead of water

Cover bowl while rising

Each issue will have it's own remedy.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Location of the dough, temperature, humidity, elevation, etc. all play a very major role in yeast reproduction. I ended up finding the best place in my house to raise dough was in a little nook behind my hot water pot, where the temperature is slightly higher and the dough is free from agitating air currents. Also, I'm in a very arid environment at high elevation, so one of the most successful things I've done in my breadmaking has been to switch to a yeast strain designed to do more in a shorter amount of time.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Examine the factors one by one..

Start with the yeast - i assume that you are of colonial origin and that you're using dry yeast - does it activate properly in a sugar slurry thing?

Do your gluten develop - use one of the easier methods for gluten development like no-knead bread - the you know that you have gluten and the problem may be fixed (in which case you suck at kneading) - wash your dough to figure out how much gluten is in there - bake the gluten to examine your oven for suckiness (you will get pure oven spring then) - it should about triple-quadruple in size if it is pure gluten - examine it by measuring diameter on your gluten ball before and after and do some math.

If it isn't your oven spring - remove factors.

Use cold water instead of hot - let the first proof take 4 hrs
Remove salt
Use beer instead of water

Cover bowl while rising

Each issue will have it's own remedy.

Tell me more about this beer thing. How beery does bread taste?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

contrapants posted:

This used to be a problem for me. The air conditioner would blow across my entire small kitchen. I solved it by letting the dough rise inside the shut-off oven. It had the side effect of letting me clean the counter off more easily, too.

Yeah, I do all of my proofing in the shut off oven. Even in winter, when I turn the heat back to 56 at night, leaving the oven light on keeps it just warm enough.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

therattle posted:

It mostly just depends on the beer used. Most beer bread recipes are quickbreads, i.e. you let the alcohol do the fermentation legwork for you. A more neutral beer like a hefeweizen will taste appropriately light and yeasty. Darker beers and porters like Guinness will impart a lot more of their own personal character to the bread. Quickbreads tend to be denser and chewier than standard doughs made with yeast. When I make beer bread I like to pair it with heartier stuff like stews or shepard's pie.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Move somewhere moist and warm with lots of natural yeasts available in the air. Nothing beats starting your own sourdough sponge with just flour and water. :coal:

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

therattle posted:

Holy poo poo.. That is like... Bread that grew up, worked 45 years in the steel mill, and now is sitting on the porch yelling at the goddamn neighbors kids. It is the Clint Eastwood of bread.

I regularly replace all liquids with beer - it makes it awesome. And don't go for the lighter types of beer.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

And no - never made a 'quick-bread' in my life...

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hey what's the story with Chinese BBQ pork? I just bought a hunk of it from a grocery store, hanging from a hook at a deli counter. I had forgotten how terrifyingly good this stuff is.

What arcane secret of the orient creates this delicacy?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Happy Hat posted:

And no - never made a 'quick-bread' in my life...

If you don't eat cornbread at least once a week you're not an American.

:911::911::911:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Sextro posted:

Move somewhere moist and warm with lots of natural yeasts

Your mum makes really good sourdough

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If you don't eat cornbread at least once a week you're not an American.

:911::911::911:

I actually don't think that corn-bread taste that well - it is kinda dry, overly sweet and sits heavily in the stomach. It's more like a cake I think - I am always tempted to ask for creme fraise or a scoop of vanilla icecream with it.

I guess it is just an acquired taste.

It would probably be good with some rhubarb in it, to break the sweetness and add some moisture.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Happy Hat posted:

I actually don't think that corn-bread taste that well - it is kinda dry, overly sweet and sits heavily in the stomach. It's more like a cake I think - I am always tempted to ask for creme fraise or a scoop of vanilla icecream with it.

It would probably be good with some rhubarb in it, to break the sweetness and add some moisture.

Lots of different kinds of cornbreads. I've been really enjoying a no-flour no-sugar cornbread, kinda like this one:

http://www.foodrepublic.com/recipes/make-cornbread-not-war-sean-brocks-cast-iron-cornbread-recipe/

I've been making it more like a yorkshire pudding in a muffing pan instead of using a skillet, but it's a nice filling side for something like a chilli. I agree with you that the cornbread that tastes like a sweet doughy pancake with cornmeal added is not very good.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Happy Hat posted:

Cornbread in the south part of the US isn't sweetened. You can make it with bacon fat, with cheese and scallions etc. Delicious.

Also you're missing out on banana bread and zucchini bread. Quickbreads are good things.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yep. Try an experiment, Happy Hat. Get some good cornmeal - over there probably something like good polenta. Take two cups of that, and mix it in a bowl with a teaspoon baking powder, half a teaspoon salt, and half a teaspoon baking soda. Beat in an egg, and some fat (melted bacon fat works well here, as does melted butter. Even cooking oil. You're adding a couple of tablespoons). Now whisk in enough buttermilk to make a very thick batter and pour into a cast iron skillet which you have well greased with bacon fat and preheated on the stove until the bacon fat is just about smoking (if you lack a cast iron skillet, you can make this same recipe in a very well greased 20x20 cm baking dish). Bake at around 230c for half an hour or so, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Squashy Nipples posted:

So, ICSA Bread had four entries, and only 76 votes on the winner?

Is the overall traffic to GWS way down or something?

I didn't even realize there was an ICSA going.

I participated in maybe 2 or 3 of the first 10 ICSAs, but I feel like something about the format has... well, lost some special something. I remember when there was a waiting list to host at least 7-8 ICSA's out. Now it's like, I don't ever even notice the threads, it seems like stuff doesn't get voted on by anyone - IDK. Maybe it needs its own subforum?

I also feel pretty strongly that the current state of GWS with a million gigantic megathreads also is pretty toxic though. I never read megathreads other than this one and the industry one, because every time I do, I'll not follow up on it for like two weeks, and there will be 100+ new posts, and I'll be like gently caress that, why would I bother reading all that poo poo.

So as a result like 70% of the threads in GWS have numbers next to them with 1000+ unread posts, and I never click on any of those threads, because they're the ones I've just decided are like 'no-mans lands' for me because I'll never catch up, and don't have the time to devote to reading 100 new posts on that topic a week.

The golden age of GWS for me was when there were tons of threads on very specific different topics, all under 2-3 pages long, and once the topic had been pretty much addressed, the thread died, and new topics came in. And I genuinely was interested in reading almost all of the threads, and contributing where I could. Sure, some questions got asked over and over every 6 months or year, but there wasn't a spergy attempt to wholly define 'THE BEER MEGATHREAD' or 'EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT INDIAN COOKING' - both topics that could span books thousands of pages long, and still not be adequately covered.

Dunno, just what I'd do if it were up to me. I understand the megathread approach too I guess. just not my bag.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I'm gonna echo the above, I didn't realise there was an icsa going on until someone mentioned the voting in irc. It's a theme I would've been interested in too. Since the forum's become mostly megathreads, I've just started browsing almost exclusively from my bookmarked threads so if by some miracle there is a new thread I usually don't see it for weeks or months. Also my unread posts look a lot like the above picture and I'll just skip to the end.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bring back the 1000 posts and new thread rule!

but yeah I do the same thing

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 17, 2015

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I've made quick beer bread before but not a yeasty one.

I have also made my own sourdough starter but I can never get great results and I find starter maintenance a pain in the rear end and a waste of flour.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I tend to agree - there need to be some dumping grounds for quick posting (like what did you cook last night), but at the same time - why not post directly in the main, you're like a 5 minute writeup from having an ok post when you post in 'what did you cook last night', and you would get more attention on your post.

I would suggest that two subforums be created, one for beer brewing and alcoholics (because those guys and their megathreads could easily be split into separate topics), and one for 'where to eat' - containing the threads of recommendation for eating out, plus restaurant experiences.

I think the formation of this many megathreads actually is something that shows that certain stuff warrants their own subforums, like the bread thread - where there's tons of good advice (I know, I posted some of it) and there's disciplines within bread and baking that would warrant their own discussions, like croissants - because I loving mess up croissants (little devil-penis shaped pieces of poo poo that are impossible to bake properly, and who the gently caress folds stuff, and why is my butter running? Oh gently caress!).

Another issue I think we're facing, but that is general for SA forums I guess, is that reddit is taking over.

A way to do it could be to more heavily mod the megathreads, another way could be to close down the 'what did you eat for dinner' thread, which I will do by tomorrow if that is the consensus.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

therattle posted:

I've made quick beer bread before but not a yeasty one.

I have also made my own sourdough starter but I can never get great results and I find starter maintenance a pain in the rear end and a waste of flour.

You may be treating your sourdough to nice - I feed mine once a week, but it can easily be 2-3 weeks between feedings. I feed it rye mainly.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

You may be treating your sourdough to nice - I feed mine once a week, but it can easily be 2-3 weeks between feedings. I feed it rye mainly.

Yeah, I think I need to switch to rye; it's apparently a lot more tolerant. I keep mine in the fridge and feed only every few days until time to bake, but it's too acidic and sour and smells like acetone.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Also...

Why the gently caress are the americans on the internet so upset about childrens books?

The example given here is relatively mild compared to what my kids are brought up on - I mean - it isn't even realistic drawings, and I don't think there's any pictures of an actual birth in this one either.

Is it tantamount for the american society to promote as many teenage pregnancies as possible through ignorance of the subject? I mean - I was surprised when I learned that american kids never have seen their parents naked, but being upset over drawings like this?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

therattle posted:

Yeah, I think I need to switch to rye; it's apparently a lot more tolerant. I keep mine in the fridge and feed only every few days until time to bake, but it's too acidic and sour and smells like acetone.

If it gets too acidic on bake day, just use less?

Edit: What I do is actually mix it in with a pre-bake slurry thingie the day before - but you can also dry it out on a sheet of baking paper, and then crush it and add it in chunks in a poolish (I think it is called), and then use it from there.

The coarser the grain you feed it on, the slower it will be in development, and as that retardation provides more flavour, you would probably want that kind of setup

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 17, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yes, sex is immoral unless it's for procreation and if kids don't know about sex they obviously won't have it. Ergo sex education is immoral.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I had luck once upon a time starting a starter with rye for a short period then switching feeding with regular old flour to stabilize.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

I also feel pretty strongly that the current state of GWS with a million gigantic megathreads also is pretty toxic though. I never read megathreads other than this one and the industry one, because every time I do, I'll not follow up on it for like two weeks, and there will be 100+ new posts, and I'll be like gently caress that, why would I bother reading all that poo poo.

If you're behind just skip most of it and read the last page, problem solved.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Bring back Whirled Peas.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

If you're behind just skip most of it and read the last page, problem solved.
I don't want to miss the important page that will change my life though

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

mindphlux posted:

The golden age of GWS for me was when there were tons of threads on very specific different topics, all under 2-3 pages long, and once the topic had been pretty much addressed, the thread died, and new topics came in. And I genuinely was interested in reading almost all of the threads, and contributing where I could. Sure, some questions got asked over and over every 6 months or year, but there wasn't a spergy attempt to wholly define 'THE BEER MEGATHREAD' or 'EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT INDIAN COOKING' - both topics that could span books thousands of pages long, and still not be adequately covered.

I think the thing you're failing to realize is that most of the threads end up being pseudo-chat threads. I'm a regular in the beer megathread, and it's mostly "I drank this today" or "what should I drink in X city". Neither of those topics belong in their own thread, nor would they gain 2-3 pages of posts and then die.

It's all our nature to just post in the one spot for the topic we want to talk about, and if we're going to talk about moderating GWS content maybe we can start with the zero-effort GBS-lite poo poo instead of on-topic threads that are "too big".

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

mindphlux posted:

Yep, RIP. For at a few years now I've used SA exclusively from the "bookmarked threads" list since the forum "home" is dead.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Low-effort threads are part of the beautiful tapestry of internet forums. In the same way you cut fat with an acid and vice versa, a page full of bloated megathreads leads to forum stagnation and phenomena like the Steam OP exceeding the word count of Huckleberry Finn.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

I would suggest that two subforums be created, one for beer brewing and alcoholics (because those guys and their megathreads could easily be split into separate topics), and one for 'where to eat' - containing the threads of recommendation for eating out, plus restaurant experiences.

I'm not so sure we need to separate the alchies, but a separate forum for "where to eat" is a really good idea. That information is more static, and it would be a good resource to everyone on SA, not just us cooks.

That said, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to further subdivide when overall forum traffic is diminishing:

Happy Hat posted:

Another issue I think we're facing, but that is general for SA forums I guess, is that reddit is taking over.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

therattle posted:

I hate discarding starter as well and I don't bake every day, usually just once a week. What I do is I keep a fairly small amount of starter in the fridge, like just a 1/2 cup at most. When I bake I'll take 10% of the starter I need at most and feed it a large amount. For example if I need 200 g of starter, I take 20 g of my fridge starter and feed it 90 g water and 90 g flour at room temp. It takes at least a day to produce enough yeast to rise my dough so I do need to plan a little bit in advance, but by doing this even if my starter gets very acidic in the fridge, I'm feeding it a large enough amount that the batch I feed for my dough is just right. Then I refeed my fridge starter when it gets down to fairly low.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'm not so sure we need to separate the alchies, but a separate forum for "where to eat" is a really good idea. That information is more static, and it would be a good resource to everyone on SA, not just us cooks.

Wouldn't the place for that be the locale threads in LAN, then?

Squashy Nipples posted:

That said, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to further subdivide when overall forum traffic is diminishing:

Agreed, GWS can't sustain a subforum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Happy Hat can you send me some children's books?