Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

2.9mm?! What are we doing? Painting a house?

Establishing dominance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

2.9mm is nothing, get on the Pilot Parallel's level

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Yeah I got a Parallel in 3.8mm and I finally understand what I'm doing with calligraphy.
Each line an airport runway's worth for me to figure out angle variations and gestures. Highly recommended.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

How does that work with regards to ink flow?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

the video is a must play.. very good Fountain Pen music.. I was pumped.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Keetron posted:

How does that work with regards to ink flow?

Works for me so far! I've only tried Pilot's specially formulated ink in cartridges (which may or may not be the same as eg pilot black, I sincerely do not know), but as long as the nib in its entirety makes contact with the page, it will lay down a very consistent line. Which is impressive, as 3.8mm is absurdly wide.

Performance may vary with different inks, but I will have that information once I try them.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Bought another Delta

*phew*

Didn't buy a Delta last month, got a little worried

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

grack posted:

Bought another Delta

*phew*

Didn't buy a Delta last month, got a little worried

Buy two.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Heath posted:

Buy two.

:hmmyes:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

So far the only pen I have that can really handle having shimmer inks in it all the time is my benu. Absolute champ, never clogs, never dries out even when it's been sitting on my desk untouched for a month. Meanwhile the pilot I stick a plumix nib in and loaded up with FWP tumultuous tides is Suffering.

I probably shouldn't use this information to justify buying more pens. But also I wish I hadn't seen that there's a cool benu skull pen on jetpens. 😭

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Everett False posted:

So far the only pen I have that can really handle having shimmer inks in it all the time is my benu. Absolute champ, never clogs, never dries out even when it's been sitting on my desk untouched for a month. Meanwhile the pilot I stick a plumix nib in and loaded up with FWP tumultuous tides is Suffering.

I probably shouldn't use this information to justify buying more pens. But also I wish I hadn't seen that there's a cool benu skull pen on jetpens. 😭

That day of the dead pen looks amazing.

I was sorely tempted by the Pilot VP special edition because red and black is edgelord as hell and I love those colors, but the 350 I managed to find it for is far too much. Even though the black and gold one I have is an absolute beast. I grabbed it last night after it had say for a full 6 months inked. It was dry but still has ink. I shook it vigorously for like 5 seconds and it started writing like it was freshly inked. Maybe it's the plumix nib? For I have an S tier VP.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

This feels like a pen that demands a shimmery pink but I'm paranoid now :ohdear:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

If it's a pen you're actually going to use i wouldn't worry much about that. Lamy is a modern company and knows people use shimmering ink. Furthermore it's a safari, one of the most popular fountain pens out there. The worst case is needing to disassemble to thoroughly clean it.

As always, just make sure the ink is meant for fountain pen.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 18, 2023

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

Everett False posted:

This feels like a pen that demands a shimmery pink but I'm paranoid now :ohdear:

Robert Oster Rose Gilt Tynte seems like it'd be a perfect match!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I use glittery inks in my Safaris all the time, and if it ever seems like the glitter is causing problems I just slide the nib off, rinse it out and I'm good to go. I find that some glittery FWP inks are a little tricky to get started with but once I do the nib thing it's clear sailing.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I bought some cheap poo poo from AliExpress and it arrived broken.

The very tip of the nib hooks about 10 degrees to the left. The pen still works, but it's scratchy as hell. Is there any fixing this kind of thing?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Yes, but it's not the easiest thing to do unless you have some experience

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

So, like, smooth parallel jaw pliers on the tip, tweak it back to straight, and then use feeler gauges to get the slit width right? I spent less than $25 on this pen (Majohn A1) and I'm planning to ask for a real Vanishing Point for Christmas, so no big deal if I gently caress it up.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Don't use pliers on fountain pens, it never ends well.

The proper way to fix your issue is to use a piece of brass shim stock to bend each tip into proper alignment. You need to do each side separately to maintain the proper taper or the pen won't write at all.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

shim stock is cheaper than pliers, so that's good! Thanks!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

That was not intended as instructions, but alright.

You'll need a good 10x loupe.

1. Start with the tine bent inwards towards the centre line.
2. Insert the thinnest piece of shim stock between the tines, so the bottom edge is just at the weld joint between the tines and tipping.
3. Put your thumbnail on the outer edge of the nib at the weld joint to act as a fulcrum.
4. Very gently bend the tine outwards by rotating the shim. Go VERY slowly. The goal is to have the tipping and tine be in a straight line.
5. For the tine bent outwards, insert the shim stock so the TOP edge is placed at the tine/tipping weld joint. This will be your fulcrum.
6. Use your fingernail to gently push the tine back towards the centre line. Again, the goal is to make it more or less straight.
7. Examine the tines afterwards. When viewed straight on and at 45 degrees from the front the tipping should line up perfectly.
8. When viewed from the top, the tines should taper from the base of the nib slit to the edge. The tips should NOT be touching.

Be as gentle as possible when doing all of this. The weld joint is a stress point and it's rather easy to snap the tipping clean off if you're careless.

Also, I bought another Delta.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

grack posted:

Also, I bought another Delta.

Do you have someone to talk to? Do you need a friend?

If you need help call 1-800-963-7367. Someone there will take your call and guide you to safety.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm back on the fountain pen train baybee

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Is that the brass?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

JNCO BILOBA posted:

Is that the brass?

yeah it is, I've had it for a week or so now and it's already taking on a real nice patina

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Megabound posted:

I'm back on the fountain pen train baybee

Dope pen, bro!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It's great, I used to collect a lot of the vintage stuff but never used them. Then I got into photography and that scratches the collection itch now (while still being things I use daily to create art) but recently wanted to get back into writing and drawing. Now I've got a pen I'm not afraid to throw into my pocket cause the wear is the charm, and I'm actually using it.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
how's the weight on the brass sports? I find the weight on the regular plastic ones almost too light. it's nice how i dont even notice them in my shirt pocket but when it comes time to write it feels not great

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

SixteenShells posted:

how's the weight on the brass sports? I find the weight on the regular plastic ones almost too light. it's nice how i dont even notice them in my shirt pocket but when it comes time to write it feels not great

She's a hefty boy to be sure. I think it's the heaviest pen I own. The technical specs say 48g. A regular plastic Sport is 9g, and for comparison a Lamy Safari is 15g. The body is heaviest but the cap is pretty substantial, and when it's posted it's a really well balanced pen that's the perfect length for my hand.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Safety Dance posted:

She's a hefty boy to be sure. I think it's the heaviest pen I own. The technical specs say 48g. A regular plastic Sport is 9g, and for comparison a Lamy Safari is 15g. The body is heaviest but the cap is pretty substantial, and when it's posted it's a really well balanced pen that's the perfect length for my hand.

Ooof that's a big boy. Absolutely beautiful though! Looking forward to getting a chance to hold one sometime to see how I like the weight and balance.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

GF wants us to go to the Toronto fountain pen show thingy this weekend which I think will probably be pretty fun and perhaps also a little bit expensive.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

SixteenShells posted:

Just echoing the above really. It's a very dense feeling pen but due to the compactness it doesn't feel imbalanced in hand and is very nice to write with.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

put a bunch of brass sports in a sock and folks you got yourself a weapon

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Wild. I got a kaweco for my partner and she loved it, meanwhile I was surprised by the size and weight. I still want to hold a brass one, they seem awesome.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Mad Hamish posted:

and perhaps also a little bit expensive.

*taps thread title*

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

SixteenShells posted:

Yeah, the brass is too heavy for me. As soon as I picked one up I knew it wasn’t for me. The sport ALs (they’re the aluminum ones) hit the sweet spot for me.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Haha well I somehow ran out of ink in two pens while taking some notes at work yesterday (admittedly they were almost empty) and while I usually refill right away because NEW COLOURS AW YEAH I thiiiiink I will wait until we've been to the pen show. No reason!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I got the 1.1mm stub for my Brass Sport and I love it. Certainly a little dry to start with but once flowing there's no issue. Really digging the extra character Incan put into lines.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Well, I had a nightmare almost come true. Got a call from the hotel we stayed at on our Disneyland trip saying they had found a pen case left behind in the room and would happily be shipping it back to us. You know, the pen case with five different Pilot and Taccia urushi pens, including an artist's proof model, most of which with custom nib grinds. Probably $4500 MSRP of pens. Thankfully the hotel called before I even unpacked and realized I'd forgotten them.

Wrangling small children and chronic sleep deprivation is no joke. Next time those pens are just staying home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Years ago, I bought a Pilot Metro based on this thread. It's been a while since I've used it, but I'd like to again and maybe pick up another pen based on thread recommendations.

I just got a new cartridge for it, cleaned the nib off with water, inserted the cartridge and let it sit overnight standing up, but no ink is coming out. Should I soak the tip in water and try again? I think it's clogged.