Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

nofather posted:

There's only six 'giant monsters' though, so that's half. There's also the Sightless Mother who I'd say is pretty good, better than Hunyadi Dorjan, at least.

Anyways, if someone doesn't find Zagreus an interesting NPC, it is at least interesting to see the way vampires are meant to develop. He is meant to be a representative of high Blood Potency, his Dark Decree is not a gift he stole from a god, but something his Vitae has forged after several lifetimes of being a manipulator and storyteller. Now he doesn't just manipulate people and tell stories, he manipulates fate and foretells stories.

He's not meant to be 'this is standard vampire antagonist B.' Having him in a vampire game fits in the way something like Final Destination does, it puts the pressure on, it makes you careful, and at the end it has you trying to dodge a fate you're more likely to bring upon yourselves.

Yeah, no, I do not want a Vampire where vampires are "meant to develop" into Zagreus, comma, the most boring and trite oWoD elder stereotype ported into an nWoD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, no, I do not want a Vampire where vampires are "meant to develop" into Zagreus, comma, the most boring and trite oWoD elder stereotype ported into an nWoD.

To be fair they'd have a lot more if they tried porting them.

But surely you can tell I didn't mean you turn into this one NPC. It shows a level of power that vampires are capable and, through their actions, mold themselves into. It's more narrowed down into auras. Vampires don't turn into Zagreus. They can turn into beings of that level of power and focus. If you want more personality in your high-level vampire, that's something you as a ST or player should work on.

nofather fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 5, 2018

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

nofather posted:

To be fair they'd have a lot more if they tried porting them.

But surely you can tell I didn't mean you turn into this one NPC. It shows a level of power that vampires are capable and, through their actions, mold themselves into. It's more narrowed down into auras. Vampires don't turn into Zagreus. They can turn into beings of that level of power and focus. If you want more personality in your high-level vampire, that's something you as a ST or player should work on.

I think that's the essential problem.

"Power" being a generic reflection of age and focus is very oWoD. "Power" in requiem ought to be fleeting, fragile, or weird.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
I always preferred things like the Worm monster in Immortal Sinners or the Lambton Worm in the Gangrel Clanbook - that as vampires get really old and really Potent their outsides become as predatory and strange as their insides, and they no longer pass for human.

Maybe it's the residual Buffyverse fan in me.

Anyways. Hunyadi Dorjan was the Prince in the Vampire: The Requiem chronicle I ran back when the game first came out; he was specifically designed to be in torpor for the entire chronicle, but have everyone in the city paranoid that he was still watching them with his weird powers. The PCs were the Ancilla-level characters trying to keep the regime going after all the Elders dropped off the face of Budapest for sinister reasons.

It's a good thing I Actual Play'd most of my chronicles. Helps me resist the temptation to liberally put my own games into books. But, eh. Immortal Sinners was my first published rpg credit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

Most of the giant monsters from the book Zagreus is in are not very good. The Unholy's okay, Hunyadi Dorjan is excellent, and then...:shrug:.

I kind of wish the Unholy never got stats. I liked her as urban legend writ large.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I actually like Alucard from Hellsing as one (of many) high-end vampire examples. Out of boredom, he willingly acts on a much lower scale than he is capable of, being more or less recognizable and interactable with to other people. But when he gets excited and fights what he thinks is a worthy enemy he gets weird. Amorphous form of darkness, conjured servants and beasts out of blood and fear, telepathic control over his surroundings and others. And then he realizes that he overestimated his enemy again and still can't find someone worthy to kill him and gets all pissed off.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

I always preferred things like the Worm monster in Immortal Sinners or the Lambton Worm in the Gangrel Clanbook - that as vampires get really old and really Potent their outsides become as predatory and strange as their insides, and they no longer pass for human.

Anyways. Hunyadi Dorjan was the Prince in the Vampire: The Requiem chronicle I ran back when the game first came out; he was specifically designed to be in torpor for the entire chronicle, but have everyone in the city paranoid that he was still watching them with his weird powers. The PCs were the Ancilla-level characters trying to keep the regime going after all the Elders dropped off the face of Budapest for sinister reasons.

It's a good thing I Actual Play'd most of my chronicles. Helps me resist the temptation to liberally put my own games into books. But, eh. Immortal Sinners was my first published rpg credit.

Hunyadi Dorjan is a way better take on this than Zagreus.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hunyadi Dorjan and the Unholy had actual characterization and I especially liked Dorjan. I remember being pretty put off by how Zagreus's writeup uses so many words to say so little about who he is, where he came from, what he wants, and why he would be interesting to engage with.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
The worst thing about Zagreus was like he did start to bleed into other lines much like an oWoD character. There was that plothook in - I think - Compacts and Conspiracies for Task Force Valkyrie where literally all it was was 'Zagreus appears and turns himself in! But he's so strong and powerful! What's he planning?!'

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

MonsieurChoc posted:

So, Immortal Sinners was the first Night Horrors book, and was designed as a way to give promising freelancers their first shot*. Most of the characters in it were written by people who hadn't written anything before, and I admit I looked through its credits a while back and realized I'm pretty much the only one left.

But, then again, it's been ten years since I wrote it. At some point I seem to have become the old guy.

* They still are, kinda. Also Kickstarter Stretch Goals.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Dave Brookshaw posted:

So, Immortal Sinners was the first Night Horrors book, and was designed as a way to give promising freelancers their first shot*. Most of the characters in it were written by people who hadn't written anything before, and I admit I looked through its credits a while back and realized I'm pretty much the only one left.

But, then again, it's been ten years since I wrote it. At some point I seem to have become the old guy.

* They still are, kinda. Also Kickstarter Stretch Goals.

Were you responsible for the deep-cringe introduction section? Be honest now.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Mister Olympus posted:

Were you responsible for the deep-cringe introduction section? Be honest now.

Nooooo. Billy the Fish, Jacob Skinner, and Hunyadi Dorjan

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dave Brookshaw posted:

You should stat up Mayor Wilkins the Buffy character not the former SA admin :v: . Doesn't matter what line.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Billy the Fish owns, btw.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Holy loving poo poo I forgot the fiction for chapter three of Immortal Sinners is literally called "The Man Behind the Meat Curtains."

Also it's cool that definitely that Jennifer Lawrence, the star of the Hunger Games, was writing for Vampire right out of high school before she became famous.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Yawgmoth posted:

Doesn't matter what line.

That's good, cos he's definitely a Beast.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

That Old Tree posted:

Holy loving poo poo I forgot the fiction for chapter three of Immortal Sinners is literally called "The Man Behind the Meat Curtains."

Also it's cool that definitely that Jennifer Lawrence, the star of the Hunger Games, was writing for Vampire right out of high school before she became famous.

God I wish this was true.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Kaza42 posted:

I actually like Alucard from Hellsing as one (of many) high-end vampire examples. Out of boredom, he willingly acts on a much lower scale than he is capable of, being more or less recognizable and interactable with to other people. But when he gets excited and fights what he thinks is a worthy enemy he gets weird. Amorphous form of darkness, conjured servants and beasts out of blood and fear, telepathic control over his surroundings and others. And then he realizes that he overestimated his enemy again and still can't find someone worthy to kill him and gets all pissed off.

I mean... eh? This was certainly true in oWoD, a Methuselah with sufficiently low generation was very powerful and occasionally very bizarre.

Requiem elders are supposed to still be personally vulnerable - it's the reason why they surround themselves with mortal and immortal flunkies, and helps ensure that their power is implicit rather than explicit. Alucard is functionally invulnerable which is a pretty dull thing for characters to actually interact with.

Untouchable elders are boring. I prefer it when they're just sort of unpredictable and have enough clout, personal favors, and occult weirdness to make most neonates think twice. Elders justify the whole reason vampires gently caress around with that politics poo poo. If an elder is personally, explicitly powerful enough where he doesn't need friends or favors, what the gently caress is it all for?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Kaza42 posted:

The thing to remember is that Alucard is basically a giant cheerleader for Humankind as a whole. He wants humans to aspire to their better natures, just in spite of god's grace, not because of it. And he desperately, desperately, wants to die at the hands of a human. That's why he basically turned into a sobbing wreck when Anderson used the nail, he pushed too hard and humanity's best defender became a monster just like him.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

We all know about Dark Dungeons, but did you know that Jack Chick is selling inspiration Vampire material as well?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

bewilderment posted:

We all know about Dark Dungeons, but did you know that Jack Chick is selling inspiration Vampire material as well?
Sounds more Mage to me.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

quote:

Author: William Schnoebelen

Bill, I understand you're trying to distance yourself from your brother Bobby, but don't you think changing the spelling of your name is just kind of petty?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Oh my god Bill Schnoeblen is such a wonderful crackpot.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Loomer posted:

Oh my god Bill Schnoeblen is such a wonderful crackpot.

I'm still reeling just from the name, and then he hits me with "I was literally a vampire sleeping in a coffin and constructing occult portals in my apartment".

I may have to read this book.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Bill Schnoeblen is also a former Satanist, ex-90th Degree Freemason, wizard, an Illuminati member, who gained 7 years of superpowers by making a deal with satan and banging a nephilim. He's also a catholic priest, wiccan, and got to choose vampirehood or werewolfness! He's also a mormon (who he says are satanists)!

Bill Schnoeblen is a living, breathing oWoD or maybe Kult character.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

What really strikes me is that usually when I've encountered stuff like that straight from the horse's mouth, it's Time Cube level incomprehensible. Incoherent ramblings with no discernable internal logic, presented in a million different fonts with Random Capitalization and no regard for punctuation.

But that excerpt is a generally well-written, coherent narrative with a distinct modern fantasy flair. It's not just written about something that could have happened in the WoD, it's written in the style of a WoD story. Excessive em-dashes aside, it wouldn't feel terribly out of place sandwiched between two chapters of a Belial's Brood sourcebook or something.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
That's the difference between the schizophrenic and the professional conman/fake memoirist showing through.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

I figured as much, but I didn't want to make assumptions.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I like how he lost all his powers because some rando wrote 'I am praying for you' on a check.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Terrorforge posted:

What really strikes me is that usually when I've encountered stuff like that straight from the horse's mouth, it's Time Cube level incomprehensible. Incoherent ramblings with no discernable internal logic, presented in a million different fonts with Random Capitalization and no regard for punctuation.

But that excerpt is a generally well-written, coherent narrative with a distinct modern fantasy flair. It's not just written about something that could have happened in the WoD, it's written in the style of a WoD story. Excessive em-dashes aside, it wouldn't feel terribly out of place sandwiched between two chapters of a Belial's Brood sourcebook or something.

Um, excuse me. It's an advertisement for why you should come to Jesus. Not the devil. Clearly it's a secretive Lancea et Sanctum advertisement piece. :colbert:

But seriously though, someone that actually gets it should do a quick ctrl+f to see if Longinus, Cain, ancient antediluvian vampires, or the damnation of the slayer of Christ is mentioned somewhere in the book. The idea that a Chick writer could be a secret fan of the WoD and is drawing off of it for inspiration is hysterical to me.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 7, 2018

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Schnoebelin's been active since the 80s. He's an oWoD fan.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Archonex posted:

Um, excuse me. It's an advertisement for why you should come to Jesus. Not the devil. Clearly it's a secretive Lancea et Sanctum advertisement piece. :colbert:

Y'know when I said that I actually did have in mind that it would be from the perspective of a barely-functional ex-Brood demagogue who turned their back on that whole business to become a marginally-more-functional Lance demagogue.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

I blame the thread for getting my hopes up for the Scion Hero text in the near future. :( I'm starting to with they never gave us any tentative dates.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Terrorforge posted:

What really strikes me is that usually when I've encountered stuff like that straight from the horse's mouth, it's Time Cube level incomprehensible

thanks now i have to go read all of time cube again

Has anyone used this in a Demon or Mage game yet?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Xinder posted:

thanks now i have to go read all of time cube again

Has anyone used this in a Demon or Mage game yet?

What, Time Cube? How would you even begin to translate earth body 4 corner time equals 4 leg mobility into something you can like. Do.

e: seriously tell me and I will run that game

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
First off, your ignorance of Harmonic Cube is demonic.

Not 1 Human Except Dead 1.

Man Is Paired, 2 Half 4 Self.

1 of God Is Only 1/4 Of God.

i don't know but i always smile when i read this stuff

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
"drat it! the god machine's on the fritz again." (smacks the side of the nearest infrastructure)

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Xinder posted:

i don't know but i always smile when i read this stuff

Kurieg posted:

"drat it! the god machine's on the fritz again." (smacks the side of the nearest infrastructure)

That might be it, actually. The God-Machine is on the fritz, and the only one who can help you fix it is an amiable but undeniably deranged internet kook, because at 04:44:04am this morning his nonsense theories were inadvertently signed into natural law.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
Preparing for the Monday session - the final confrontation, Big Boss Battle, the works - I can't help but wonder weather the PCs actually survive the final battle. Have a look and tell me what you think:

-they split the party, with one group rushing into the Nephandi temple head on and the other staying WAY behind (which, adjusting for two characters with Correspondence, is the least of their problems);
-the 'forward' group has a single gun to share, and next to no offensive capabilities;
-half of them is almost drained of quintessence, one PC left himself with a whooping two dots in willpower;
-as they went into the building, they somehow just forgot/ignored the fact that one of the baddies was sitting in a bar right across the street. They knew that because she phoned one of them (and promptly injected his brain with the experience of being drowned for hours and unable to die because that's pretty much how Nephandi say 'hello')

Part of me just wants to kill them all for being so crimilally unprepared. I mean, just the last point is grounds for a character death, am I right?

By the by, I tried to find a nice picture to illustrate the final monster and boy, is google not my friend. What I was looking for is something that could possibly pass for an elemental manifestation of barbed wire, but any time I add theese two words to a search all I get is ten pictures of metal fences, followed by a Power Rangers monster, followed by more fences, and swiftly moving to that Pamela Anderson movie you hoped you forgot...

And I'm not using this fucker in any of my games:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Not perfect, but...