Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

Tge situations are sad, but the highest chance for relating to him are often immediately overshadowed by frustration over how easily the situation could have been avoided.

Kinda like seeing one's teenaged siblings or fuckup friends, yeah? Someone who has good intentions but just. keeps. loving. up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Then why has the story been discussed for over a decade?

Why aren't the Jedi helping them when they know that slavery is evil?

Because forcing countries to adhere to an outsiders' morality simply does not work. ISIS did not arise because of an indifference to the middle east, but by active interference in their lives.

quote:

People actually relate to Anakin perfectly. They simply don't like him, but this dislike is intense precisely because they relate to him. He's a very intense and divisive character.

You're confusing "liking" with "relating".

Waffles Inc. posted:

Kinda like seeing one's teenaged siblings or fuckup friends, yeah? Someone who has good intentions but just. keeps. loving. up.

Like I said though, these fuckups are frustrating in how easily solved they are and how tge solutions are not difficult for the character. You can see Kylo assisting First Order out of loyalty to his true father (Snoke), you cannot see why a character defined by defiance and familial attachment does not help his mother. Any sort of tragedy becomes at its worst schadenfreude at his situation.

As an example, Anakin's willingness to kill Windu is relatable because we the audience can believe that we could do the same to protect our family. Without the threat of Padme and his children's death the scene becomes absurd and unrelatable.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Neurolimal posted:

It doesn't excuse it, but it also doesn't mean the jedi are not good, just flawed. The sickness of the republic citizens mean that the Jedi cannot end slavery alone, and an attempt to do so before citizens are willing would likely result in far greater harm to citizens (including droids).

that's not to say they have to wait until the majority is on their side, but every successful movement has had at least a large portion of society in their favor.

If the Jedi need public support before they can take meaningful action, then they should engage with the public and seek to promote a more just society. The Jedi should teach and inform the public of the plight of the slaves; they should seek to change public opinion.

But instead of challenging the public, the Jedi acquiesce to it. The public didn't want to free the slaves, so the Jedi permit slavery. The public wanted a war, so the Jedi became warriors.

I agree with you that the Jedi are good, if flawed. But their flaw isn't that they are unable to defy the public, but that they don't try.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

And the droids do not rebel for equality. The slaves of Tatooine exist outside the Republic's society.

The Jedi are guardians of peace and justice, not guardians of peace and justice.*

*Some restrictions apply. Not available in all areas.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

Because forcing countries to adhere to an outsiders' morality simply does not work. ISIS did not arise because of an indifference to the middle east, but by active interference in their lives.

Like I said though, these fuckups are frustrating in how easily solved they are and how tge solutions are not difficult for the character. You can see Kylo assisting First Order out of loyalty to his true father (Snoke), you cannot see why a character defined by defiance and familial attachment does not help his mother. Any sort of tragedy becomes at its worst schadenfreude at his situation.

Anakin? Defined by defiance? Are we talking about the same Anakin?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

Anakin? Defined by defiance? Are we talking about the same Anakin?

He's always absorbed in his emotions, he becomes romantically involved with a politician, he murders an entire family, he ignores Obi's warnings and charges Dooku. He marries said politician in secrecy.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

He's always absorbed in his emotions, he becomes romantically involved with a politician, he murders an entire family, he ignores Obi's warnings and charges Dooku. He marries said politician in secrecy.

You meant defiance in his actions not in his feelings right? All of the things you mention (aside from fighting Dooku in Clones, which isn't defiance, but in the service of his duty) result in tremendous conflict in him because of how committed to following the rules he is

Even as a kid he jokes about both following the rules as written while trying to accomplish his goals

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

Again, you keep coming back to imperialism. This is because you do not have any imagination. You can only imagine revolutionary action as anything but chaos, and thus justify slavery.

This is a rather ridiculous position when three movies were all about an armed revolt without popular mandate.

The Jedi do nothing about slavery, and as a result the Republic becomes the Empire. This is the cost of non-interference.

Neurolimal posted:

Anakin spent a decade attached to Obi-Wan as an apprentice, so he didn't have time to help his mother. When he's free, he goes find her. Pretty simple.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

If the Jedi need public support before they can take meaningful action, then they should engage with the public and seek to promote a more just society. The Jedi should teach and inform the public of the plight of the slaves; they should seek to change public opinion.

But instead of challenging the public, the Jedi acquiesce to it. The public didn't want to free the slaves, so the Jedi permit slavery. The public wanted a war, so the Jedi became warriors.

I agree with you that the Jedi are good, if flawed. But their flaw isn't that they are unable to defy the public, but that they don't try.

It's easy to see why they dont try by considering the real-life historical results of military officials exerting power over the governing power (however noble the intentions). their impartialty is percieved as important to their role.

It's not like they are emotionless or unbiased or uncaring either; both Obi-Wan and Qui-gon are depicted as having social lives outside of their official duties, as well as sympathy and remorse ("I'm afraid not.")

This is only exacerbated by the sith, who do just that and are an eternal concern for the Jedi.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

"Smash the Force" posted:

At the start of A New Hope, we hear that the Alliance has growing support within the Imperial Senate, and Imperial Senates aren’t usually very fond of proper revolutionaries. Consider the Alliance’s tactics. Every time we meet the rebels, they have built themselves a base on some deserted planet, where they’re stockpiling heavy arms.

As any good student of Mao knows, a revolutionary movement can only succeed if it wins the trust of the people; holding territory is a game played by the State, not those trying to overthrow it. We never see the rebels being sheltered from Stormtroopers by grateful peasants (while they do ally with the Ewoks, it’s with a fully colonial sense of entitlement); we never see Alliance propaganda being passed around in secret by the oppressed; we never see any indication that this armed faction has any kind of popular mandate whatsoever. It’s not just infantile bourgeois ultraleftism — Blanquism in space.

At the end of The Empire Strikes Back, we see for the first time a full Rebel Alliance fleet; vast blobby spaceships to rival the Empire’s. Aren’t warships expensive? Who’s funding these people? Consider that when we see that fleet, it’s positioned outside the Galaxy. There’s a name for groups like the Rebel Alliance. Not freedom fighters, but Contras, right-wing death squads.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 25, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

It's easy to see why they dont try by considering the real-life historical results of military officials exerting power over the governing power (however noble the intentions). their impartialty is percieved as important to their role.

It's not like they are emotionless or unbiased or uncaring either; both Obi-Wan and Qui-gon are depicted as having social lives outside of their official duties, as well as sympathy and remorse ("I'm afraid not.")

This is only exacerbated by the sith, who do just that and are an eternal concern for the Jedi.

The Jedi are not a military force, they are a religious order serving as peacekeepers.

And if that's a problem, again, why don't they just leave and align themselves with slaves?

As you have argued, they are making an ethical choice to support evil.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Again, you keep coming back to imperialism. This is because you do not have any imagination. You cannot imagine revolutionary actio.

The Jedi do nothing about slavery, and as a result the Republic becomes the Empire. This is the cost of non-interference.

Imperialism is the only option for an outsider to do what you are demanding. Real-World western slavery did not end because a scandinavian community organizer lent his expertise and opinions to the filthy masses.

quote:

Anakin spent a decade attached to Obi-Wan as an apprentice, so he didn't have time to help his mother. When he's free, he goes find her. Pretty simple.

He spends enough time after defending Naboo to be able to request his mother's freedom. Her freedom was his primary concern when leaving Tatooine. Watto even displayed that he was willing to sell her. He's hitting it off with a wealthy queen in front of hundreds of thousands who consider him a hero.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 25, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

The Jedi are not a military force, they are a religious order serving as peacekeepers.

And if that's a problem, again, why don't they just leave and align themselves with slaves?

As you have argued, they are making an ethical choice to support evil.

They serve a variety of roles, typically in law enforcement and executing the will of the republic.

They do not leqve because they believe in the importance of their duty. In your proposed situation they are forced into an ultimatum; from their perspective there is no good choice and evil choice.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Now imagine if that before Moby Dick came out there were three books about Ahab's kids (or maybe the Whale's dad?) that had really fuckable characters and that inspired a generation of readers to love that genre, and then Melville gave those readers Moby Dick.

What I'm getting at is that the prequels never got a chance to be looked at fairly because people who hate the prequels hate them exactly for being like what you're describing for Moby Dick, unlike the OT which has very fuckable characters

The way that the book sets up Ishmael and Queequeg as the likeable protagonists and then ignores them is sorta akin to what you're talking about, but beyond that I think the comparison is going to get too strained.

The characters in the OT are also mostly defined by their major flaws, just not as hopelessly as in the PT.

Neurolimal posted:

Well thats the thing; the character doesn't need to be a good person to be relatable. Tragedies operate off of that. The question is less "who do I root for?" And more "who can I see myself as?". Moby Dick succeeds in making Ahab relatable, and as a result the message of how self-destructive his vengeance is becomes clear to the reader.

Ok, but rooting for him means rooting for his self-destruction. I don't know about anyone else, but I definitely did not root for him when I read the novel. I didn't root for anyone.

"Who do I see myself as" is a better question. Again, in both cases the flaws of the characters in question are universal. Everyone has moments that drive us to irrational vengeance, and everyone has moments of moral hypocrisy.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 25, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

Imperialism is the only option for an outsider to do what you are demanding. Real-World western slavery did not end because a scandinavian community organizer lent his expertise and opinions to the filthy masses.

What are you even talking about?

The fact that you keep denouncing violent revolt in a STAR WARS thread of all things is baffling. Do you even remember what the OT was about? Why is it okay for Princess Leia (an aristocratic member of the Senate) to lead the Rebellion but the Jedi cannot aid slaves?

Neurolimal posted:

He spends enough time after defending Naboo to request his mother's freedom. Her freedom was his primary concern when leaving Tatooine. Watto even displayed that he was willing to sell her. He's hitting it off with a wealthy queen in front of hundreds of thousands who consider him a hero.

Because privilege makes people forget.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

He doesn't have to be good to be relatable. We see him get understandably pissed off, we see him feel conflicted in situations we are willing to believe are difficult. We see him look for guidance, we see Adam put out an intensely human performance. We see him display his vulnerabilities and repressed soft side to Rey.

You've actually just described Hayden Christensen as Anakin.

What you have not described is Adam Driver as Kylo Ren. We never see Kylo Ren get understandably pissed off; we only ever see him get pissed off at the fact that his evil plans to kill innocent people and enslave the galaxy aren't going exactly according to plan. We don't ever see him feel conflicted, we're just told that he's conflicted--even though he never hesitates for even a moment before giving the order to murder an entire village of innocent civilians, and never expresses any remorse after the fact.

The only time Kylo Ren's actual actions betray any hint of internal conflict is right before he violently murders his father for no discernible or justifiable reason--of course, in order to sell the surprise and convince the audience that he might not actually do it, that moment should have been the culmination of a whole movie which plausibly developed Kylo as a conflicted character.

quote:

The tragic part of the PT is tgat TFA succeeds in making the audience relate to the tragedy of a character who starts out as a mass murderee, while we never feel attached to a slave who is indoctrinated and loses his mother.

Plenty of people related to Anakin. I haven't seen anyone actually relate to Kylo Ren except to the extent that they see him as a Snape-esque Woobie bad boy character (which makes it kind of appropriate that he apparently reports to Lord Voldemort).

Anakin's problem was that he found it hard to let go of the things he cared about--pretty much everyone should be able to relate to that. Kylo Ren's problem is that he's insecure that he'll never be as evil and powerful as his famous supervillain grandfather--who relates to that, exactly?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

The fact that you keep denouncing violent revolt in a STAR WARS thread of all things is baffling. Do you even remember what the OT was about? Why is it okay for Princess Leia (an aristocratic member of the Senate) to lead the Rebellion but the Jedi cannot aid slaves?

That's a good point.

Does Princess Leia know/acknowledge that the Republic is the Empire, and vise versa? I'm kinda sad that the new sequels took a direction away from letting us see how the Rebellion would have established a new (or old) government. I wish they had done like Dune Messiah and showed the horrible responsibility after defeating the evil overlord and taking his place.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Krangdar posted:

That's a good point.

Does Princess Leia know/acknowledge that the Republic is the Empire, and vise versa? I'm kinda sad that the new sequels took a direction away from letting us see how the Rebellion would have established a new (or old) government. I wish they had done like Dune Messiah and showed the horrible responsibility after defeating the evil overlord and taking his place.

She actually starts out working in the Empire. She's a member of the Imperial Senate.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

Well thats the thing; the character doesn't need to be a good person to be relatable. Tragedies operate off of that. The question is less "who do I root for?" And more "who can I see myself as?". Moby Dick succeeds in making Ahab relatable, and as a result the message of how self-destructive his vengeance is becomes clear to the reader.

i still don't agree with this tho, like, did u see Hateful Eight? Who do you see urself as in that? I read Demons by Dostoevsky recently and who the heck am I supposed to relate to in that?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

She actually starts out working in the Empire. She's a member of the Imperial Senate.

Oh yeah, I always forget that part because IIRC its only mentioned once.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Krangdar posted:

Oh yeah, I always forget that part because IIRC its only mentioned once.

And It's not imperialism because

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Neurolimal posted:

They serve a variety of roles, typically in law enforcement and executing the will of the republic.

They do not leqve because they believe in the importance of their duty. In your proposed situation they are forced into an ultimatum; from their perspective there is no good choice and evil choice.

How do you see something that you don't believe is there? How do you make any kind of ethical or moral judgement on what you cannot see, again impartiality does not exist here only a subjective truth exists. What is the truth of the jedi(republics) myopic understanding of those that lie beyond their horizon.

Can they(you) truly hide behind this idea of a republic majority being the only way to address slavery when they don't count all the people of the republic as people. Can laws born from such thought ever be, in any sense, Just? and if so what is the value of their duty as guardians who value peace over justice.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

Kylo is a struggling youth buckling under the legacy of his family, the absence of his father, and the attachment to the only father figure who made time for him.

None of that is actually shown in the movie. It's only ever vaguely alluded to in clumsy expository dialogue. What we actually see in the film is a thirty-year-old man who throws violent tantrums, enthusiastically engages in wanton acts of mass murder, and makes insinuations of rape while mentally torturing a restrained teenage girl, all while possessing absolutely no redeemable qualities. But we're supposed to ignore all that because he's given a line of dialogue about how "tempted" he is by the light side, delivered during a scene where he's kneeling before a shrine dedicated to his evil Nazi grandfather and vowing to "finish what [Vader] started" (it is never explained what exactly Kylo Ren means by this, even though that would go a long way towards being able to empathize with Kylo's motivations). Also, this shrine is apparently filled with the ashes of all the people Kylo Ren has murdered, because it just wasn't clear enough what an insane unhinged psychopath this guy is.

quote:

In none of Kylo's most tragic or vulnerable moments do we believe he could have done better. Meanwhile, in AotC Anakin's loss is overshadowed by confusion about why he didn't have his rich girlfriend queen move her to a republic planet.

No one was actually confused by that.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

What are you even talking about?

Leia is representative of the rebellion. The rebellion is of citizens of the empire opposed to the emperor. You focus too much on her title over her actions and imagery.

I am not denouncing violent rebellion. I am denouncing both moral intervention and military coups.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Neurolimal posted:

I am not denouncing violent rebellion. I am denouncing both moral intervention and military coups.

lmao holy poo poo

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Leia is representative of the rebellion. The rebellion is of citizens of the empire opposed to the emperor. You focus too much on her title over her actions and imagery.

What if the OT Rebels had managed to stage a coup to kill the Emperor, instead of a full violent rebellion?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

This is a simple question:

Where is the Rebellion ever shown to have a democratic mandate to justify their attempted coup?

Also,

Neurolimal posted:

lol

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

i still don't agree with this tho, like, did u see Hateful Eight? Who do you see urself as in that? I read Demons by Dostoevsky recently and who the heck am I supposed to relate to in that?

The lack of vested interest in any particular character is a common complaint I've read of the film. I'd be willing to bet it will be the least influential of Tarantino's films.

brawleh posted:

How do you see something that you don't believe is there? How do you make any kind of ethical or moral judgement on what you cannot see, again impartiality does not exist here only a subjective truth exists. What is the truth of the jedi(republics) myopic understanding of those that lie beyond their horizon.

Can they(you) truly hide behind this idea of a republic majority being the only way to address slavery when they don't count all the people of the republic as people. Can laws born from such thought ever be, in any sense, Just? and if so what is the value of their duty as guardians who value peace over justice.

Droids count as people. A rebellion of droids should be supported by the Jedi. The droids in the trade federation fight for the economic interests of their masters. The clone war is no more a war for representation than the LOTR a war for orc rights.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

This is a simple question:

Where is the Rebellion ever shown to have a democratic mandate to justify their attempted coup?

They fight for a physically powerless leader. They are not depicted as forced into the conflict. We have no reason to believe they are forced into the conflict. They make a willing choice to rebel. Their rebellion is not inherently just and rely on the moral judgement of observers; I see the rebellion as just.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Lord Krangdar posted:

What if the OT Rebels had managed to stage a coup to kill the Emperor, instead of a full violent rebellion?

It would be an ill-fated coup that would see the rebels transform into the empire to subjugate the outraged public.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

They fight for a physically powerless leader. They are not depicted as forced into the conflict. We have no reason to believe they are forced into the conflict. They make a willing choice to rebel. Their rebellion is not inherently just and rely on the moral judgement of observers; I see the rebellion as just.

You have not answered the question:

When are the Rebellion ever shown to have a democratic mandate that justifies their attempted coup?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

You have not answered the question:

When are the Rebellion ever shown to have a democratic mandate that justifies their attempted coup?

When the rebellion is shown fighting the empire. We have no reason to believe that the rebellion does not consist of significant numbers of citizens rebelling against the emperor.

This is made even clearer in the special edition of RotJ, which sees a parade over the end of the empire in coruscant.

"Princess" Leia is a representative of the people (hence being a member of the Senate). She holds no physical or mental bonds over the rebels. She is their leader because they want her to be the leader.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

When the rebellion is shown fighting the empire. We have no reason to believe that the rebellion does not consist of significant numbers of citizens rebelling against the emperor.

This is made even clearer in the special edition of RotJ, which sees a parade over the end of the empire in coruscant.

"Princess" Leia is a representative of the people (hence being a member of the Senate). She holds no physical or mental bonds over the rebels. She is their leader because they want her to be the leader.

"Smash the Force" posted:

At the start of A New Hope, we hear that the Alliance has growing support within the Imperial Senate, and Imperial Senates aren’t usually very fond of proper revolutionaries. Consider the Alliance’s tactics. Every time we meet the rebels, they have built themselves a base on some deserted planet, where they’re stockpiling heavy arms.

As any good student of Mao knows, a revolutionary movement can only succeed if it wins the trust of the people; holding territory is a game played by the State, not those trying to overthrow it. We never see the rebels being sheltered from Stormtroopers by grateful peasants (while they do ally with the Ewoks, it’s with a fully colonial sense of entitlement); we never see Alliance propaganda being passed around in secret by the oppressed; we never see any indication that this armed faction has any kind of popular mandate whatsoever. It’s not just infantile bourgeois ultraleftism — Blanquism in space.

At the end of The Empire Strikes Back, we see for the first time a full Rebel Alliance fleet; vast blobby spaceships to rival the Empire’s. Aren’t warships expensive? Who’s funding these people? Consider that when we see that fleet, it’s positioned outside the Galaxy. There’s a name for groups like the Rebel Alliance. Not freedom fighters, but Contras, right-wing death squads.

lfield
May 10, 2008
The rebellion are the good guys, and they're fighting against the Empire, who are the bad guys. The Empire is evil and the Rebellion is good.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

This is entirely dependent on the idea that the rebels are being funded by an outside force. It's entirely speculative and requires the assumption that among the vast number of planets under the empire, nobody could build ships nor collect funds to build ships. Amusingly enough, it comes to the conclusion that a nebulous and nefarious Other has supported the rebels, as there couldn't possibly be enough unfaithful empire citizens to successfully rebel against the empire!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

This is entirely dependent on the idea that the rebels are being funded by an outside force. It's entirely speculative and requires the assumption that among the vast number of planets under the empire, nobody could build ships nor collect funds to build ships. Amusingly enough, it comes to the conclusion that a nebulous and nefarious Other has supported the rebels, as there couldn't possibly be enough unfaithful empire citizens to successfully rebel against the empire!

This outside group are the angered Senatorial elites.

Hence "Princess" Leia, Imperial Senator, is part of the Rebellion.

This could have all been avoided if the Jedi stopped slavery.

lfield
May 10, 2008

This outside group are the angered elites.

Hence "Princess" Leia.

You're imagining that. It's not in the film.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

This outside group are the angered elites.

Hence "Princess" Leia.

This oculd have all been avoided if the Jedi stopped slavery.

The elites are members of the empire.

They are supported by empire citizens against the empire.

The rebels do not disband once their supposed meal ticket is enslaved. They are motivated to fight harder.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

lfield posted:

You're imagining that. It's not in the film.

Even Neurolimal understands what the Rebellion is:

Neurolimal posted:

The elites are members of the empire.

They are supported by empire citizens against the empire.

The rebels do not disband once their supposed meal ticket is enslaved. They are motivated to fight harder.

The Rebellion is not a revolution or popular movement, it's an elite coup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Even Neurolimal understands what the Rebellion is:

The Rebellion is not a revolution or popular movement, it's an elite coup.

I am showing that even with the suggestion that Leia is an elite member of the empire, the notion that the rebellion is not of the people is absurd.

It's important to show one how even with their own shaky logic their conclusion is unsupported. You are doing the longform adult version of "you said it! you said it! you can't take it back! Haha you said it!"

• Locked thread