Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
But now that Star Wars belongs to Disney and the opening crawl is such an iconic part of the structure, there's no reason Spielberg wouldn't be able to do a movie now. No one in their right mind would mess with the opening crawl (LOL Rogue One).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
Maybe Spielberg wouldn't do it out of respect for his retarded cousin George.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
9/11!

Like you've never seen it before.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Randarkman posted:

Also you say whie nerd teenage boy power fantasy, but the guy who wrote it was like mid-30s when he wrote it.

Chronologically he was, sure.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

they found a way to make the audience cheer at the end of a 9/11 movie

kill Charlie Sheen

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

dont feel that movie 43 has the legs to be a full spin off

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Wow, Charlie Sheen looks like death.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

priznat posted:

Agreed, with a sequel that is just as good imo.

They really shoulda let GDT & Perlman do a 3rd :sigh:

2 was way better since they cut out that pointless FBI agent who was the audience stand-in for meeting the characters.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SeANMcBAY posted:

Why would they cast Charlie Sheen in a 9/11 movie.:lol:
not only him but luis guzman. when it cut to him i expected it to abruptly turn into a parody like 9/11 MOVIE

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

WampaLord posted:

I was digging through videos and re-discovered this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYLPWNEyxCY

It's mesmerizing.

chain wallet spotted on Jay

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There was already a patriotic 9/11 movie called world trade center and it sucked too.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The movie needs to end with Whoopi Goldberg talking to someone on a cell phone.

"Yes it's been done, Mr. Bin Laden"

*closes flip phone*

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wonder why we don't get more "fictional" World War 2 movies. The last two of any note outside of superheroes were Inglourious Basterds and Fury. Almost every other WW2 film I've seen since are docudramas or full on historical films based on "real" events.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wonder why we don't get more "fictional" World War 2 movies. The last two of any note outside of superheroes were Inglourious Basterds and Fury. Almost every other WW2 film I've seen since are docudramas or full on historical films based on "real" events.

Have there been that many World War II movies in the last decade or two though? Inglorious Basterds is definitely a much more fictional movie than Fury, which is kind of based on the book Death Traps IIRC. But there's also Saving Private Ryan and poo poo.

Anyway, you can't do much better than Kelly's Heroes, I think. Especially for the more light hearted thing.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tomO-X-X5Ak

Having a pretty wide variety of feelings

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 24, 2017

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

not sure i'm comfortable with a reality where rich evans has talent and success

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.

i want to be a cock holster for rich evans

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Randarkman posted:

Have there been that many World War II movies in the last decade or two though? Inglorious Basterds is definitely a much more fictional movie than Fury, which is kind of based on the book Death Traps IIRC. But there's also Saving Private Ryan and poo poo.

Anyway, you can't do much better than Kelly's Heroes, I think. Especially for the more light hearted thing.

I can think of plenty of films. Russian films tend to do more fictional stuff though, like their rendition of Stalingrad, or the movie White Tiger. But most hollywood fare is historical in nature. You've got Flags of Our Fathers, Letters from Iwo Jima, the Great Raid, Defiance, Valkyrie, Windtalkers, Red Tails (reeaaaally stretching the historical aspect), Hacksaw Ridge, to name a few.

Basterds and Fury are much more fictionalized than the other films on the list. Basterds goes all out alternate history, while Fury was one of the most savage takedowns of the patriotic nonsense that infests the majority of WW2 movies. But Kelly's Heroes is still the best. A western in WW2 starring Clint Eastwood. There is nothing wrong with any of that.

Hollywood focuses on either a specific event or personality, rather than a nebulous idea of "the war" as a means of telling an original story. And getting hung up on authenticity and accuracy, a lot of these movies can be super dry as a result.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 24, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I can think of plenty of films. Russian films tend to do more fictional stuff though, like their rendition of Stalingrad, or the movie White Tiger. But most hollywood fare is historical in nature. You've got Flags of Our Fathers, Letters from Iwo Jima, the Great Raid, Defiance, Valkyrie, Windtalkers, Red Tails (reeaaaally stretching the historical aspect), Hacksaw Ridge, to name a few.

Basterds and Fury are much more fictionalized than the other films on the list. Basterds goes all out alternate history, while Fury was one of the most savage takedowns of the patriotic nonsense that infests the majority of WW2 movies. But Kelly's Heroes is still the best. A western in WW2 starring Clint Eastwood. There is nothing wrong with any of that.

Hollywood focuses on either a specific event or personality, rather than a nebulous idea of "the war" as a means of telling an original story. And getting hung up on authenticity and accuracy, a lot of these movies can be super dry as a result.

i sorta liked fury, though i laughed my rear end off when they kept trying to paint the southern wannbe rapist tank crewmen as a really ok guy, then he got a panzerfaust through the side. any movie that has nazis getting blown to paste is ok by my standards. that said i prefer basterds. hacksaw ridge was pretty good as was letters from iwo jima. the only ww2 movie i ever hated was pearl harbor.

pretty much. i tried reading the book once. but its just reference after reference and its never funny or clever. reference stuff works rarely and only if it actually fits or is funny or its subconscious. like tarantino movies do referance stuff, but its part of the conversation or its some obscure poo poo.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Why would they cast Charlie Sheen in a 9/11 movie.:lol:

why are they making it about a bunch of fictional people trapped on a elevator in 9/11, plus the elevator were loving gone when the plane hit, it loving incinerated the shafts on impact.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Fun fact about Kelly's Heroes: It was one of the first WW2 movies that actually put some effort into getting the vehicles to look like the real thing (at least when it comes to movies that came out some time after the war). With German tanks it may even have been the first, since there weren't that many left in working order after the war. They filmed in Yugoslavia and used the Yugoslav armies Shermans, and they used their T-34s to make a mock Tiger that actually looks pretty good (Saving Private Ryan also used T-34s for its Tigers I think). That is pretty different for movies like Patton which just used Patton tanks for everything (which is kind of funny), green for Americans and grey for Germans.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

priznat posted:

(Unrelated)
~Rich Evans voice~ AAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDS!

AIDS and 9/11 together at last. Just missing some Star Wars.

client
Aug 19, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

why are they making it about a bunch of fictional people trapped on a elevator in 9/11, plus the elevator were loving gone when the plane hit, it loving incinerated the shafts on impact.

jet fuel cant melt Charlie Sheens

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

client posted:

jet fuel cant melt Charlie Sheens

:perfect:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
The only trailers before Dunkirk was the latest Blade Runner sequel one (which is really hard to watch after the Rich Evans version) and Justice League. Warner Brothers, thanks for reminding me that most of your movies are poo poo.

Also Dunkirk is pretty good and you should go see it in the theater. I'm not sure 70mm is a necessity though, I'm kind of glad I did but it wasn't worth going out of my way.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

The video starts with Rich firing his Nukie Lazer. What even is reality any more?

Also Rich is a good voice actor, who'dathunk?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

King Vidiot posted:

The video starts with Rich firing his Nukie Lazer. What even is reality any more?

Also Rich is a good voice actor, who'dathunk?

He can play a smug, pedantic, irritable nerd, who'dathunk.

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

That would be for Empire. Irvin Kershner did the film on the grounds that the words "An Irvin Kershner Film" would come before the opening credits. Well that didn't happen, so the Director's Guild fined Lucas for breaking his deal with Kershner, and Lucas quit the guild.

Maybe it's a little of both. Lucas got fined for the lack of opening credits in A New Hope.

quote:

The Directors Guild of America fined Lucas for refusing to have a standard title sequence in his Star Wars films. After paying the fine, he quit the guild. This made it hard for him to find a director for some of his later projects. According to some, he wanted his friend Spielberg to direct some of the later Star Wars movies, but as a member of the guild Spielberg may have been unable to do so. Spielberg has repeatedly stated that Lucas consciously did not let him direct any Star Wars films, despite the fact that Spielberg wanted to. Other directors Lucas pursued to aid him were David Lynch and David Cronenberg, both of whom declined.

But he finally quit the DGA and WGA in 1981 after he was fined again for ESB.

quote:

In 1981, Lucas cited “personal reasons” for withdrawing from the Directors Guild of America and the Writers Guild of America. An April 6, 1981, Variety banner story read “Lucas Severs Last H’wood Ties” (though Lucasfilm remained a signatory to both). Lucas was unhappy with the DGA, which had fined him because Irvin Kershner’s director credit was at the end of “The Empire Strikes Back” instead of at the beginning of the film, as the DGA contract specified. Lucas wanted to thrust the audience immediately into the action, and Kershner was OK with the end-credit placement.

From the NY Times

quote:

His resignation from the Directors Guild came because the guild fined him for placing the director's credit at the end of "The Empire Strikes Back," even though Irvin Kershner, the director he had chosen for "Empire," did not object. For "The Revenge of the Jedi," the third "Star Wars" movie, which begins production next Jan. 13 in England, he has selected a little-known English director, Richard Marquand, who does not belong to the American guild.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
If you want some WW2 era semi fictional stuff I really recommend the gently caress out of Manhattan. Both seasons were excellent... all 7 of us who actually watched the show agree :negative: Why WGN of all networks spent a ton of money on this project will forever remain a mystery, but I'm glad they did. It's not actual combat stuff though, it takes place almost entirely in New Mexico.

Opening credits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fV5WNudPPU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

counterfeitsaint posted:

Is death lady in Thor 3 the same death lady that Thanos has a purple chub for?

Not originally in the comics. He originally had a boner for a lady in a black dress and a skullface.. But they haven't introduced her in any of the movies so it's probably gonna be Hela

plus they recently hooked up in the comics too :

Thanos fetish is basically death gods

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Who could say no to those sexy deer antlers.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Not originally in the comics. He originally had a boner for a lady in a black dress and a skullface.. But they haven't introduced her in any of the movies so it's probably gonna be Hela

Like Hel, ruler of the underworld? They added the -a so that they didn't literally have a character named "hell"?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

priznat posted:

Agreed, with a sequel that is just as good imo.

They really shoulda let GDT & Perlman do a 3rd :sigh:

I thought the second one was a lot better. It had some really neat character designs instead of the boring '04 CGI monster from the first.

Shame they didn't do more of those movies. So much weird poo poo happens in the comics, there's no shortage of material. I'd happily watch red Ron Perlman punch floating nazi heads and various folktale creatures.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
i would like mike to analyze the new star trek series trailer and end the video by putting a gun in his mouth

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Like Hel, ruler of the underworld? They added the -a so that they didn't literally have a character named "hell"?

Yup. Actual mythology has to be made safe for christians so that they too can enjoy comic books/movies.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Clawtopsy posted:

i would like mike to analyze the new star trek series trailer and end the video by putting a gun in his mouth

Why would he kill himself? He'll have a whole new source of forced references.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
There's a new star trek?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Zzulu posted:

There's a new star trek?

Yeah, they're taking another stab at Enterprise's premise.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah, they're taking another stab at Enterprise's premise.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Discovery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

This ones got KLINGONS. And PHASERS.

• Locked thread